homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » AH.... WORKOUT! (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AH.... WORKOUT!
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, my most likely reasons for exhaustion are iron levels have dropped again or asthma drugs not working properly. And in women iron deficiency is incredibly common, even eating a good diet.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have had severe anemia - where I needed two urgent blood transfusions - cured eventually by a hysterectomy. So I know what that feels like, and it isn't that.

quetzalcoatl - regarding ME, I think not. I am hyperactive and do lots in the day, not lacking in energy. I have two family members with ME and it wipes them out (husband's side, not related to me)

My problem is stopping or slowing down exercise before it does me any good!

Thank you all for your thoughts.

I am still mulling over the personal trainer idea, it's a lot to shell out but worth it if I get fit for the first time ever.

[Smile]

<edited to remove an overload of exclamation marks>

[ 24. March 2014, 12:59: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A celebrity guest runner at my local parkrun this morning, Michelle Dillon, who was in the Olympic triathlon in Athens 2004.

It's quite nice to be part of the same event as a former elite athlete.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*bump*

Spring has sprung, the sun is shining and I ran 7km this morning.

I have almost completed my registration for the 20km in the autumn on the basis that giving myself something to aim at will make me actually do it.

Also I've gone all flabby and wobbly and I'm not feeling very happy about that. My legs still have a bit of muscle tone (sort of) but all the muscles that I once had in the environs of my arms and my abs have gone AWOL. I am languishing after the sculpted figure that once was mine and there's only one way I'm going to get it back...

How's everyone else doing?

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Because there was something in our park last Saturday, we decamped across the water to the Newcastle Parkrun, which is mostly flat.

28:50 [Big Grin]

I'm in Glasgow for a convention over Easter, and I'll try and make it to Victoria Park for the run on Saturday, assuming I'm not too hungover from the night before...

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done, Doc Tor! [Overused]

In a previous post you asked what you had to do to break 30 minutes. There's your answer - go to Newcastle!

[Yipee]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The deed is done - I have had my health checked and employed a personal trainer. Two hours a week, starting on Thursday.

He says kettlebells will be involved - I had to Google them!

He says the first thing to be done is to get me out of my comfort zone - too true!

[Cool] [Help] [Cool]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have finally organised myself and put a bag together with clothes, towel, soap etc. that I am going to leave at work tonight. Then I will run in tomorrow morning instead of taking the transport. (There are shower facilities in the office that I can use on arrival.)

Running in actually doesn't take much longer than getting the metro. I did this a couple of years ago and it's very efficient.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

OK - the personal trainer been today and done all the measurements, and I have paid for six weeks of workouts (twice a week). Good news - my BP is spot on. The fat measurements were alarming!!

His car is a bit disconcerting - it has 'Military Workouts' emblazoned down the side!

(No problems with the neighbours or friends passing and wondering what I'm doing 'tho - they will assume my husband has gone even more fitness obsessed than he already is!)

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did he actually take a detailed set of measurements, Boogie, or did he just weigh you, check your height and tell you your BMI?
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

You are doing girevoy? How cool. I always wanted to try that, but never got around to it. Lots of martial arts people use them for ballistic weight training.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The deed is done - I have had my health checked and employed a personal trainer. Two hours a week, starting on Thursday.

He says the first thing to be done is to get me out of my comfort zone - too true!

[Cool] [Help] [Cool]

Just being weighed and measured by a strange bloke would push me
way out of mine.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

Booooooooo

I had just got into the swing of it and now I have a cold. [Frown]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
quote:

You are doing girevoy? How cool. I always wanted to try that, but never got around to it. Lots of martial arts people use them for ballistic weight training.
Oh my word!

I bought two kettlebells on his recommendation, for use when he's not around - one 4Kg and one 8Kg, thinking I'd get some heavier ones as I progress. I can hardly lift the 8 Kg one!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
Did he actually take a detailed set of measurements, Boogie, or did he just weigh you, check your height and tell you your BMI?

He measured with a tape measure - arms, legs, waist, hips, chest. Then he used an implement to pinch my fat in all my fatty places

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
quote:

[Cool] [Help] [Cool]

Just being weighed and measured by a strange bloke would push me
way out of mine.

Huia

Yes - I had to pretend to myself he was a doctor. The pinch tests for fat were sooo embarrassing!! My BMI is 25 on weight/height but 35 on the pinch tests.

Some work to do then!

[ 25. April 2014, 17:10: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right: I have not run for some time. I've gone all wobbly in all the places I don't want to be wobbly. I'm getting out of breath too easily.

SO: Tomorrow I shall run. It will be slow. It will involve a lot of walking. But it will happen.

Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I managed 29:28 in Glasgow - almost perfectly flat, but I was hungover, late to bed and full of fried breakfast, so quite pleased with the time.

Back to my usual Parkrun tomorrow, with all its hills. [Help]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:

He measured with a tape measure - arms, legs, waist, hips, chest. Then he used an implement to pinch my fat in all my fatty places
I always knew there was a good reason for not getting a personal trainer. [Eek!] [Biased]

Hats off to you, though, Boogie, for pushing through on the whole thing. I hope it really works for you. [Smile]

Nen - thinking fondly of the weights kept at the bottom of the cupboard upstairs.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
...Nen - thinking fondly of the weights kept at the bottom of the cupboard upstairs.

Safest place for them or otherwise they might fall out and injure someone.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
...Nen - thinking fondly of the weights kept at the bottom of the cupboard upstairs.

Safest place for them or otherwise they might fall out and injure someone.
My sentiments exactly. [Big Grin]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Phew!

That's it - first kettlebell workout done. I can not believe the stuff I was doing - not sure I'll be able to walk at all tomorrow. But, so far so good, I feel fine at the moment.

Here is what I was doing but without the toned body (yet!!)

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Boogie:
quote:

Sounds impressive; that's the most accurate way of measuring body fat without a full-body scan.

I have seen other people doing kettleball workouts at the gym but never dared to try them myself - I can lift an 8kg weight all right, but I don't think my back is up to the strain of swinging it around...

Anyway, I am planning to renew my membership this evening and book a couple of sessions with a personal trainer.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

My trainer has been four times now, I have done kettlebells, bench workout with weights, circuit training and BOXING! Yes - proper boxing with gloves on! - I simply couldn't believe it when he produced them, but I must say I really enjoyed it.

He comes on Mondays and Thursdays and I do a kettlebell routine in between, which he leaves for me on paper each time.

My muscles ache the day after each workout and are stiff the day after that, but never actually sore - just 'tender'.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

Managed to finally break 30:00 at my home parkrun on Saturday (29:31, which is 34s faster than the previous best).

I think there's no real technique to it. Just a case of consistently running faster over the whole 5k.

And yes, it hurt.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've done something I may regret... I just bought P90x. I'd been looking at it for a while and figured: it's too expensive, and I know the basics of how to organize workouts without a DVD telling me what to do; I don't have time to work out six times a week. But, Amazon were running a special on it, and I got a bunch of Amazon vouchers for ordination, and summer is coming which should be quieter than the rest of the year, so I thought: why not!

We'll see how it goes. I still realistically doubt if I have time for six workouts a week (I'm at three right now), and I have some travel this summer which will definitely screw up any prospect of getting it done in 90 days. But, it might prompt me to step up the exercise and even if I don't do it "perfectly" that doesn't invalidate what I do do.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good beginning Hart, you are doing far better than I.

We are at the beginning of winter here so i really need to get out and walk. I hope that getting my ipod nano organised will at least encourage me to walk in the park, which is far more pleasant than dodging the road cones and trying not to breathe too deeply near the sewerage maintenance happening at the end of my street.

Huia

--------------------

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got talking to a chap called Dennis at the parkrun yesterday who is 80, and still enjoying it. I asked him if he had been running all his life and he said he only took it up aged 49. It was a rainy morning and so fewer people were there than usual but he said he might be old but he's not soft.

So I hope that is an encouragement to Blackbeard that you may still have a good few years running ahead of you.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've restarted C25K again, but have got as far as week 3 now. I'm determined to keep going, now that I'm adjusting to running without my 4-legged partner (it'll be a while before Tiny Pup is able to join me, and I'm not willing to wait that long!). I remember the days - all of a year ago! - that I was aiming to get my 5k under 30 mins; now I'm running for a total of 9 mins in half an hour. But I will get there again. I'm so much happier when I'm running regularly - something to do with getting away from things, having time to myself, and doing something constructive that's just for me, I suppose. Just need to keep going over the next few busy weeks...

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

Meh. We had a thing that did the rounds in the office that acquired the nickname "Tyrannovirus Rex" - you think you've caught a bit of a cold and then it lasts two whole weeks and leaves you *knackered* (yes, we are actually threatening the sue the owner of the building for their shockingly horrible air-con system that propagates this kind of crap).

So my training program has gone all out of the window [Roll Eyes] . I should be regularly running 10km by now, but I'm still struggling my way through 8. If I don't kick this up a bit, I'll never get round the 20km in the autumn.

On the upside, I bought new running shoes and they are all sproingy.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After my horror cramps a few months ago I am back on top and churning out the three kilometre swims several mornings a week - the pool is a heated out door with air temperatures down in single Celsius digits so there's a few psychological challenges.

I'm simply working on the distance now, with no drills, sprints or other variations. That way I can get the distance in in 56-57 minutes (so freestyle only, one hit, cruise-pace) and be out in time to get the boys to school. Nice headspace, nice rhythm; All the aerobic and anaerobic stuff belonged to another me, and I don't have anything to prove to myself anymore.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mental well being requires me to be active. Nothing extreme, just steady. Routine is now: out with the dog for about ½ hour just before 6 a.m., then cycling to work 12 km each way. Summer weather is here now, 23°C today. I can make it in about 23 minutes. Nothing extreme, just steady. (It is often 45 minutes in the winter.)

I have been forced by various things to miss some days. I find tension higher within me. Yes, physical health is important, but mental well being is the main benefit I find.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
After my horror cramps a few months ago I am back on top and churning out the three kilometre swims several mornings a week - the pool is a heated out door with air temperatures down in single Celsius digits so there's a few psychological challenges.

I'm simply working on the distance now, with no drills, sprints or other variations. That way I can get the distance in in 56-57 minutes (so freestyle only, one hit, cruise-pace) and be out in time to get the boys to school. Nice headspace, nice rhythm; All the aerobic and anaerobic stuff belonged to another me, and I don't have anything to prove to myself anymore.

Just saying, that's really quite brisk for a man of er, "our" age. I go most weekdays, and manage a quarter of that in half the time.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah .. though one of my risks is that I forget a) my age, and b) that I'm doing a distance swim, and when I see a couple of guys who are swimming faster than me I have to sit on my competitive spirit and say don't be a dipstick, Zappa ...

I'm doing the long sets now partly as a kind of almost Zen thing, to get in a zone, not be competitive, just count the lengths ...

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

Well, my fitness programme sprang a leak a couple of weeks ago when I sprained my ankle (quite badly) whilst on holiday. It's slowly getting better, though. Did 20-minute walk followed by 20 minutes of aerobics today. Have booked session with personal trainer for next Thursday. Planning to go to the gym every day next week, even though I've got to a really frustrating stage where the ankle is OK to walk on and can even cope with me standing on one leg for a bit, but no jumping about or swimming yet (too much lateral stress).

Hoping the personal trainer can suggest more challenging exercises that won't strain my ankle... the doctor said it would be at least another month before the tendons were OK again.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
... not be competitive, just count the lengths ...

My father used to swim once a week and continued until he was about 80. He was only competing against himself: his target was 30 lengths in half an hour and he passed the time by checking his speed with the swimming-pool clock at the end of every other length.

He would then undo any good he'd done himself by going for a pint or three with a couple of colleagues ... [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I recently stole the idea of a very cool running app from Zappa called Mapmyrun. I've been a runner forever but never knew how far I usually ran. The free version tells you how far you've walked/run, your speed, elevation. Great fun!

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The following might sound like a tale of woe! Butt I'm lucky that I'm the sort of person who bounces back from adversity with my incurable optimism intact!! [Smile] ;
I'm another one whose fitness routine has been badly disrupted. On 5th March; just as I had got back to almost 100% fitness following the heart op last year; I was knocked down by a car! The (elderly woman) driver was entirely at fault. Fortunately no brain damage or spinal chord injuries; but I sustained fractures to thoracic vertebrae 3; 4; 8 and 9; plus two cracks in the pelvis. None needed surgical intervention; but in hospital two weeks total bed rest was followed by the fitting of an Aspen body brace (the latest design which none of the nurses had seen before!) . I had to get used to wearing this until after another ten days I was wearing it 24/7. I was sent to Romsey Hospital for rest and rehab and came home on 9th April. Gradually managed to increase walking. Visit to hospital last week showed that I can now take the brace off at home; and don't have to wear it at night!! The physios I am told will supply me with a smaller; lighter brace to help wean me off the need for it. I do so miss going to the gym; but I hope my general fitness will get me there sooner rather than later.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

Ouch! Now that puts my sprained ankle into perspective... glad to hear you're recovering, SusanDoris.

I had a go on the rowing machine today but only managed five minutes before my ankle started twingeing and I decided it was better to stop before it really started complaining. I did manage nearly all of my usual weights workout, though (substituting squats with 4kg weights for doing leg-presses on the machine). [Yipee]

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
wow, SD! so glad to hear you're recovering, that's quite the trial!

remember, the fitness will come back, and you don't want to push and make things worse. You have got a beautiful attitude! I'd be slinging around words of power like... but you all know that. [Biased]

no "outside" fitness routine for me lately, because between the new job and the landscaping contracts I'm physical and sweaty for 10 or so hours a day. I hope it translates to a more aesthetically appealing waistline, because I can't seem to fit in anything else. We have gorgeous hiking weather here lately and I've only managed two shortish ones, and no yoga or weights. ugh. the yoga will have to start soon, though, as the work stuff has my lower back getting bound up.

how's everyone else doing?

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jane R and Comet

thank you! : Physio came here today and has given me some more exercises to do.)

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I've done six weeks now with my personal trainer. I had my assessment today.

Lost 3 kilos
Resting heartbeat down by 10 points
3 inches off waist
3 off hips

So, in other words, it's working!

Hurrah!

So I have booked another 4 weeks.

[Yipee]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

While I was down at my parents, I weighed myself (we have banned scales at home because teenagers).

I seem to be converting lard to muscle: so even though I've had to go and buy a belt and my T-shirts are now fitting better, I haven't lost much, if any, weight at all. That doesn't bode well for my joints in any weight-bearing exercise, but meh. I'll keep hauling my arse around the park when I can.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Doesn't the fact that your muscles are stronger mean that there will be less stress on the joints?

Today I went to the closest women's gym and booked myself a 8 days free trial. I am not really a fan of gyms as I think they make their money on people signing up, then not using them, but given the fact that the roads and footpaths are such a mess walking is much less enjoyable and cycling is really scary.

There is a special offer (of which I was unaware when I walked in) of no joining fee, and if I sign up for a year it is $19 a week, which is the equivalent to a medium salad, a scone and a pot of tea at most of the cafes around town. (I made the comparison so I could persuade myself to exercise more, after failing to be sufficiently self motivated to just go out and do it by myself).

I really need to get moving as my GP is making threatening noises regarding a change in medication if I don't lower my blood sugar.

Of course it is the middle of winter here and all I want to do is cuddle up with a book. Is it possible to read a kindle while stepping out on the treadmill? [Biased]

All encouragement gratefully received and $1 to the floating fund for each kilo I drop.

Huia

[ 18. June 2014, 07:52: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reading while on a treadmill might be tricky, although many years ago I did see a couple of gym regulars reading while on exercise bikes... [Biased] Audio books are often recommended for runners, though - the story is hopefully enough to distract you from the time running. I've not tried it yet, but one day perhaps!

[ 18. June 2014, 10:33: Message edited by: Beethoven ]

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

Just finished doing my new workout, guaranteed (by my personal trainer) to produce that authentic just-crawled-out-of-the-primeval-slime feeling without straining my dodgy ankle. I may regret this tomorrow when my muscles stiffen up, but at the moment I feel OK.

I've tried reading whilst on the exercise bike (reading on the treadmill does weird things to my sense of balance) and it doesn't work for me. If I have the energy to concentrate on reading I'm usually not working hard enough; I can only read whilst doing the warm-up or cool-down and it's hardly worth taking a book with me just for that. Also I quite like having an hour or so when the only thing I need to worry about is whether I can get to the end of the workout without collapsing in a heap; I do a lot of reading elsewhere.

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Is it possible to read a kindle while stepping out on the treadmill? [Biased]

I've actually seen people do just that. Obviously, not the people going at a million miles per hour, but people who are using the treadmill for longer sessions of brisk walking seem to do it fine. Ellipticals are, I think, better for reading, as your head is more stable. A tv episode can also be good if you have a tablet that will show you those.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

I am sort of back into it.

Ran into work yesterday (8.5 km). Going to do the same tomorrow. Only snag: I packed the bag to leave here overnight with my clothes etc and then remembered when I got in this morning that I’d forgotten to pack a towel and had to go buy another one at lunchtime [Hot and Hormonal]

(OTOH this makes a change from what I’ve done in the past, which is pack my bag and then realise that I’ve omitted my underwear. Fortunately I’ve always remembered in time [Biased] )

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Doesn't the fact that your muscles are stronger mean that there will be less stress on the joints?

Technically yes. I don't have an unrealistic view of my weight, but a stone lighter would make all the other things a bit easier. Especially running up that bastard hill.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

You run up hills, and La Vie en Rouge runs over 7k to work [Overused] . My running is restricted to running for buses which have the temerity to arrive at my stop on time, instead of the usual 10 minutes late, amd leaves me the colour of a beetroot and sounding as though I have very bad asthma.

Because of my attitude, age and joints I don't think I will ever be a runner, but I've enjoyed some good walks lately.

Huia

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

I don't do running either, Huia, but after 9 years of going to the gym (fairly) regularly I probably could if I wanted to. And I can lift 8 kg in one hand, swim for three-quarters for an hour without feeling like my legs are made of spaghetti when I get out of the pool and walk for about four hours* without having to spend the rest of the day recuperating. When I first joined a gym I was bright red and gasping for breath after 15 minutes on the exercise bike.

So keep at it - it's worth it! And you will get fitter, even though you can't run (yet).

*possibly longer...

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016