homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Canada - God keep our land... (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Canada - God keep our land...
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... the Big White Out which will commence within minutes of Pete landing back in Ottawa ...

As long as it confines itself to Ottawa, that's fine ... [Devil]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Jurgen Gothe has died. I used to listen to DiscDrive daily, and then, after the CBC turfed nearly all the classical and progressive music from CBC2, I stopped. Jurgen was a wonderful host, and I miss his show, and now, him.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For a while I owed my sanity to Jurgen Gothe, though my Dear Wife claims the opposite. She is bracing herself for an outburst of favourite quotes. I had a ghastly commute to Mississauga, but the evening drive was a lot easier with Disc Drive. Then there were lucky times, like tuning in on the way to the airport in Montreal, and catching him again when I got in my own car at Toronto. It wasn't just his choice of music; he cared about the choice of recording. I have never forgiven the CBC for cancelling his programme.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
For a while I owed my sanity to Jurgen Gothe, though my Dear Wife claims the opposite.

She claims Jurgen Gothe owed his sanity to you?

RIP Jurgen.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah, Canada - it's good to be back.

That is all - for now. Never been to Montréal before, so may be back later in the week, once I've seen a bit more of it.

Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome, Kittyville - have a wonderful time. [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks, Piglet! After two days of conference tedium, we're playing hooky tomorrow and heading out for a ramble round town. Then to the Bell Centre for game 5 of the playoffs. The tickets cost un bras et la moitié de l'autre, but when am I likely to be able to go to such a game again?

Allez les Canadiens!

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Habs sure struggled in that game! You certainly are right about the ticket prices for NHL.

Meanwhile, on the praires, we have a blizzard. About 6" of snow so far. Maybe ski tomorrow.

[ 25. April 2015, 21:32: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

Conceding that first soft goal seemed to sap their confidence, but the Senators were dogged, so fair play to them. Looking forward to game 6 now!

Jealous of your skiing. It's been too long since I went.

In Toronto now, somewhere else I haven't been before, so off for a bit of an explore tomorrow before 2 days in the office.

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
St. Carey comes through in the clutch.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Just bumping this to avoid the Hostly Spring-cleaning Broom.

Spring is almost beginning to spring here in the mystic East; actually that should be misty East, which is how we can tell it's nearly spring - you can't see the end of your nose.

--------------------

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Plows are out on the roads here today - 10 cm expected - just another day in April.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

We had 30 cm over the weekend. Power failures all over due to the heaviness and wetness. It's +9°C this morning, and it will all be going I think today and tomorrow. You're right, just another April day.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thankfully there is only about 3-4 feet of snow still in the yard so another bit isn't too bad - you can keep the 30 cm. We're hoping for +13 next week.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Where's Meg? I think Alberta is slipping into the Twilight Zone. [Two face]
Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:

Here is some memoribilia from the last time that what is predicted to be happening on Tuesday happened...

Daveberta

The NDP flyer, ninth from the top, is interesting. Notice that they were accusing the Tories of planning a sales tax, which they have never introduced, and foregoing a rise in royalty rates, which the Tories did in fact implement in '72.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

You rang? [Big Grin]

Should be an interesting election; the advance poll at which Mr. Red and I voted was so crowded that we had to park a wee bit illegally to be able to exercise our franchise.

My vote won't change anything as we live in a solidly Dipper riding whose excellent MLA I have consistently supported. However, there are signs of change; on a trip through the countryside south of Edmonton this weekend, I counted about twice as many NDP signs on private property as those representing other parties Very unusual for rural ridings! (I acknowledge that I may have miscounted because, y'know, math is difficult.) [Devil]

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I dunno about you, but if the NDP pull this off in Alberta, I will have to be sedated.

They're calling it the Orange Chinook. [Big Grin]

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
I dunno about you, but if the NDP pull this off in Alberta, I will have to be sedated.

Somehow I pictured you dancing in the street. [Biased]

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

For a start. [Smile]

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The last election the polls had Wildrose leading. Albertans got cold feet. Let's hope they don't this time after 45 years. Alberta has a history of single party hegemonies going back to the UFA.
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Hey, enough with the Calgaracentric metaphors!

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Joking aside, the phrase is still rather ironic, because, going by past numbers, the regions of Alberta most likely to return large numbers of New Democrats are also the ones with no experience of chinooks.

Though I guess we'll now in a few hours if that trend holds up.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

MY WORD!!!!

Rachel Notley, PC, MLA, DRAGONSLAYER

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was a student page in the provincial legislature when her father was an MLA, the sole NDP representative in the House. Like my parents, I admired him greatly; he was an incredibly principled, dedicated, hardworking man whose life ended tragically and far too soon.

The majority of my fellow pages had Tory connections, and literally laughed out loud at me when I made the mistake of telling them my parents had voted NDP in the previous election. When I told this story to Grant Notley's daughter at a fundraiser a few years ago, she nodded, then said that she was working to make sure that the NDP would be taken very seriously one day.

Yesterday was that day. Mr. Notley would be so proud, as am I.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It looks like a horrible urban-rural split. What a dogs breakfast of a government that will be.

I do admit that it is one thing that Tories manage to manipulate rather well.

Good luck. Hope she won't be a one term wonder.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Profound booing when she mentioned working with Mr. Harper. But it's okay, Saskatchewan is the new Alberta. [Waterworks]

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

So Meg, how does if feel to wake up in an NDP-run province?

--------------------

Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

I've done so much happy dancing, I can skip the gym. [Smile]

That being said, Notley's not going to have an easy ride, particularly as she's inherited a steaming heap of economic mismanagement from the Tories. But she's tough and savvy and personable and feeds on the snivelling of PC cronies who've lost their easy access to provincial coffers.

In the meantime, Orange Crush was disappearing from our meeting room fridges at a great rate today; I work with some really gleeful pinkos. [Big Grin]

[ 06. May 2015, 23:43: Message edited by: Meg the Red ]

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

The good people of Lloydminster must feel very confused right now.

--------------------

Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What pleases me most is the discovery of Alberta's new renewable energy source, generated by the rapid rotations emanating from Ralph Klein's grave.

Roll on, Ralphie! [Devil]

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A discreet civil servant sent me a picture (privately) of pigs flying. The photo was captioned Meanwhile in Alberta...

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

I posted that picture on my Facebook page. Be interesting to see if it translates into federal seats in the fall.

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

I got the kids knock knock joke sent, which ends with "Orange you sad you called an election".

Will there be an effect on the rest of the country? And will politics finally come back to the comfortable centre where it belongs in Canada (to clarify, social democracy is the centre IMHO).

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Peter MacKay's commentary has started a round of "Albertastan" jokes on social media.

"In Albertastan, gas fracks you!"

Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

Heck, Ralph Klein once referred to NDP supporters as Communists, so nothing new here. Which reminds me, I do believe this would be an appropriate time to break out that perfectly lovely hand-pained hammer and sickle flag Wodders so kindly sent me a couple of years ago. . . .

--------------------

Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

I need this.

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

Mulcair has promised to implement PR if the NDP win the next federal election.
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

That's Fair Vote Canada doing their Entryist thing; they're annoying. Their President was in my former Riding Association. Did I mention they were annoying?

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

That annoying person you mention is a friend of mine; he is not in the least annoying.

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

[Roll Eyes]

Your experience is very different than mine, then.

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Caissa:
Mulcair has promised to implement PR if the NDP win the next federal election.

As did the PQ in 1976, and the NDP in 1990. I wish that they had, but parties in power seem to have their attention distracted and sense of purpose weakened when this question comes up. For those interested in this most obscure topic, the Québec green paper is one of the best documents written for the Canadian context.

As far as Alberta goes, I won a bottle of Lagavulin 16-year old from an acquaintance who had fiercely (and with borderline offensiveness) predicted the triumph of the Wild Rose. I said it was more likely that the NDP would come in and would give him a bottle of the nectar should Wild Rose win-- he reciprocated the wager. I had my first sip last night but will have to give him a drink, as I had every expectation that the Conservatives would have come in, although much weakened in urban areas. Even though my prediction was wrong, I feel very much like a winner.

At my local this morning, a Zoroastrian friend wickedly noted that there must be dozens of Conservative assistants now wondering how to fill out the UI forms.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Only in Canada eh.

21° shirt sleeves and sun yesterday. -3 this morning with a terrific wind and snow.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

Same here - frost warning tonight after 23 degrees yesterday. Wind is very brr this morning but we still went biking. There are buds on the branches so there will be leaves.

--------------------

Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

I confess I don't understand the mad rush to campgrounds on the Victoria Day weekend: it's a very rare year that it doesn't rain/snow/sleet/freeze. There was a frost warming overnight, which I suppose would not be so bad if half the counties in Alberta weren't under a fire ban, so no chance of warming chilly appendages by a roaring campfire.

(And no, I don't call RVing camping; if you don't have to put on footwear to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, you. ain't. camping.)

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It's cool-ish here (after a lovely day yesterday) - we've apparently got icebergs out in the bay, which always makes it feel a few degrees colder. However, when D. and I went up Signal Hill for a look at lunchtime, the fog had come in and we couldn't even see the bay, let alone the icebergs ...

Gotta love Newfoundland. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Last night, I was at a local grenola emporium where a jazz singer was playing in the garden, and then the fireworks began. After a moment's interruption (as they were really very good), the singer and her two musicians improvised to the fireworks for the next half hour. The spirit of Handel lives!
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

Speaking of jazz, I am currently listening to the new Brad Mehldau album. Victoria was gorgeous in Saint John. We celebrated it, and our 19th wedding anniversary, by going on a 7 kilometere walk.
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

Victoria Day 2015: Took a 4 km walk on the boardwalk with half the population and the cycling leg of a triathlon in the morning and a 10 km bike ride in the evening. Lots of snow still in the ditches and on the trail. A stop for ice cream in the evening went down well. The pup ran at least twice what I did. It was a great to have several days in a row with sunshine, light winds, and no bugs!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016