homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Canada - God keep our land... (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Canada - God keep our land...
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Stercus Tory?

Aaaarrrgghhh.....!!!!!

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oooopps! - Sorry!

[Hot and Hormonal]

[Two face]

My reaction would have been the same.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
If he ever gets wind of this conversation ....

Colonoscopy, tory, wind.

The jokes on this tangent are endless!

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:
quote:
My good neighbour has a lawn sign favouring a witless Conservative candidate... the good neighbour is also the surgeon who is due to do my routine colonoscopy in a few weeks

Your neighbour has an affinity for assholes?
Ah... Thanks for that. If he ever gets wind of this conversation I'm going to have to tell him I'm just joking; I'm really a Tory. Then I'll be ostracised on the Ship.
God loves all sinners. Not the sin, mind you, but the sinner....

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Crikey - is being a Tory a sin?

That's my mother-in-law jiggered then ... [Help]

I can truthfully say I've never voted Tory, but then the places where I've had a vote didn't lend themselves to it.

When I lived in Orkney, everybody voted Liberal, and most were voting for the man rather than the party; and in Northern Ireland they have a whole different political set-up and while the "main" British parties exist, they never win any seats, and most people do "tactical voting", i.e. voting against the party they don't like rather than for the one they do.

It was often a case of picking the lesser of two bigoted plonkers ... [Devil]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Being a Tory isn't a sin, voting Tory is a sin.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't think the Tories have nominated any candidates yet, though no doubt Elvis Priestly will make his perennial run.

My grandmother, a transplanted Mancunian, calls herself a "Bill Davis Conservative" and reluctantly votes Liberal these days. I wasn't at all surprised to read in obits of Flora MacDonald that she was voting NDP in later life.

Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Progressive Conservatives were entirely different than the neo-cons we have presently. They were more like the classically liberal UK conservatives, where they balanced things at least in ideology if they failed to do it in practice. The current Canadian Conservatives are careerist business and profit oriented people, not the same at all. The word "conservative" has described a range, with the current Canadian party much more extreme than anything in my lifetime. So I think grandma is likely safe, doing whatever grandmas do in heaven.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Indeed, the Liberals were historically the party of laissez-faire economic liberalism and free enterprise (esp. with the U.S.) now considered characteristic of the "Right," while the high Tories championed the Big Society, state intervention, and at least a certain measure of a welfare state in the noblesse oblige sense.
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our street's Conservative has her sign up. So far we have 12 for Paul Dewar (NDP, holds the seat by inheritance from his mother, the late mayor and leading figure of refugee settlement, and his own efforts), 5 for Catherine McKenna (Liberal), and one for the Conservative, whose name I have already forgotten. I expect a few more signs, as well as a Green or two, in the weeks ahead. The campaign has been going on for almost a month now, which is too hideously long for civilized people.

PS If there are some who might misread my reference to the hereditary right of the Dewars to Ottawa Centre as dismissive, I note that I have dealt with Paul Dewar on several occasions, and find him to be diligent, sensitive and intelligent. I have heard him speak of how he found that so many people welcomed him as his mother's son on his first campaign, he feared that her name might have been on the ballot through a clerical error.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

Interestingly, the only candidates officially registered with Elections Canada in my riding so far are the incumbent New Democrat, the Bloquiste, and the candidates of the two electoral Communist parties (Communist and Marxist-Leninist).

Interestingly, the Bloc candidate ran here in last year's provincial election under the banner of Option nationale, which was founded by disaffected members of the Parti Québecois, normally seen as the BQ's natural provincial counterpart. The PQ incumbent held on to her seat but was apparently impressed enough with the fight he put up to suggest his name to the Bloc leader for the nomination.

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The CONServative candidate has hit the ground running, probably because of advance notice of the writ being dropped. Many signs for it in Ottawa Vanier (unsure of gender). I've seen one sign for Mauril (aka Slow Mo), the Liberal, and none for the Dippers (who only got their candidate last week).

A young girl was canvassing for the CON candidate last Sunday. Told her to get lost. She would have had no luck with my small section of condos.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Breakfast this morning with three retired senior military types--- all voting NDP for the first time in their lives. Heavens.
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There was a contested nomination in the next riding over (where I used to live), and one of the two candidates was a retired military man.

The NDP passed a very nice motion on Veterans Affairs at the last Federal Convention (to which I was a delegate) which would form the basis of a respectable mandate for the Department of Veterans Affairs under an NDP Government.

--------------------

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:
quote:
My good neighbour has a lawn sign favouring a witless Conservative candidate... the good neighbour is also the surgeon who is due to do my routine colonoscopy in a few weeks

Your neighbour has an affinity for assholes?
Ah... Thanks for that. If he ever gets wind of this conversation I'm going to have to tell him I'm just joking; I'm really a Tory. Then I'll be ostracised on the Ship.
God loves all sinners. Not the sin, mind you, but the sinner....
The sin may soon be expunged. The neighbours' daughter is home for the long week-end and an NDP sign has appeared right beside the Conservative one.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In a casual conversation with the NDP candidate in a neighbouring riding yesterday, I learned that the NDP is most certainly going to form the government as a result of this election. You heard it here first!

In other news, that fella who just uses one name - Sting? Bono? Prince? wait, I know, Justin - is going to be here tomorrow. Since I missed hearing Stephen Lewis endorse the local NDP candidate yesterday, I'm thinking I should maybe go hear this guy.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

Along that line, Tom Mulcair will be making a return visit to Peterborough. He made what was supposed to be a "whistle-stop" here after the first debate. They wanted 100 people out; they got 400.

A return visit means that Federal Office thinks this riding is in play. [Yipee]

And winnable. [Angel]

This riding is getting ready to do what it hasn't done since Walter Pitman in 1960 and return an NDP MP.

Then of course there is the old saying: "So goes Peterborough, so goes the country". [Big Grin]

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

The CBC has put out an interesting "...educational tool developed by political scientists designed to help you explore how you fit in Canada’s political landscape". No matter how on-the-edge left wing you think you are, if you say you have religious affiliations, then it appears to add a marked Conservative bias (this from an unscientific sample of two). I'd be curious to know how it works for others. Actually, I had to cheat a little, as I'm a foreigner and can't vote. It probably doesn't matter - back in another place, another century, my admiration for Jo Grimond ensured that I never voted for a winning candidate.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
... my admiration for Jo Grimond ensured that I never voted for a winning candidate ...

... and the people of Orkney and Shetland never voted for a winning party. Like many in small, rural places, they voted for the man; the last time he stood for election (in 1979, just before I was old enough to vote) his slogan was "Vote for Jo, the man you know".

In other news, you really couldn't make it up.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And a little later there was the CON candidate who you tubed himself being a total twat. The CONs dumped him too.

Ah well,2 down, 336 to go!

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Piglet, perhaps his excuse was the old line, "it seemed like a good idea at the time."

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
And a little later there was the CON candidate who you tubed himself being a total twat. The CONs dumped him too.

The nice thing about those two is that they were never serious candidates, running in hopeless races. Normally they would have attracted no attention during the campaign and would have been forgotten immediately afterwards, if not sooner. Now they've drawn massive press attention to their hapless party and will never be forgiven by it.

--------------------

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think we've pretty much had our Phoney War time.

Now the real race begins.

BTW,

Happy New Year tomorrow! [Biased]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:

The nice thing about those two is that they were never serious candidates, running in hopeless races. Normally they would have attracted no attention during the campaign and would have been forgotten immediately afterwards, if not sooner. Now they've drawn massive press attention to their hapless party and will never be forgiven by it.
In case non-Canadian shipmates have a perverse sense of curiosity, some coverage can be found here.
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

Is anyone else disturbed by the fact that we haven't had a Canadian Election thread in Purg yet?

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

I have noticed, but we're really not that important, I'm sorry to say. But I will probably join in if I can't restrain myself.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
SPeaking candidly, I believe a Canadian election thread would appropriately start in Hell, or end up there, given the strength of opinions I'm running into among voters. Especially those (the vast majority of those with whom I converse) who are not part of the Conservative core.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My only hope is that we get a minority government. I don't think I could take 4 years with any of the parties installing their complete election platform in a majority government.

For the first time ever, I am going to have to mark my vote with my other hand pinching my nose.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

You and me both, brother. I sure as shooting don't want to split the opposition vote and have those nitwits think they have support after slithering up the middle.

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

I post on this thread rather than the Purgatory thread on account of the flippancy of this initiative.
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I woke up to hear a clip from the recent one-on-one interviews with the CBC. I was sure it had to be Harper speaking, just by the tone of voice and the fact that he was in "telling" mode. In actual fact, it was Mulcair saying basically, that until they could abolish the the Senate, they would pass whatever he told them to.

I've always leaned toward the NDP side of things but that brief interview as enough to send me scurrying away.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:
...it was Mulcair saying basically, that until they could abolish the the Senate, they would pass whatever he told them to.

If he were so lucky to form the government, why would he think the senate, who he openly despises, do his bidding?

Good luck with that.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Senate only has a suspensive veto, if I remember correctly.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No Caissa -- if the Senate rejects a bill, it's dead -- one of the many ways in which the Senate's powers replicate those of the House of Lords before the 1867 reform acts.

For me, Mulcair's attitude to the Senate is one of the negatives. He can't abolish it, as he wants (fair enough if that's what you think). And senators will just rubberstamp. That's actually fair enough, assuming he has a majority -- that's the way it has always worked. Now, given the quality of the Senators appointed by Harper, who (based on interviews I've heard about) don't have a clue about the Senate's powers or role, it may be disputable that it would actually happen. But still, that's the way it should work (for at least a year, and on issues in the election platform).

What gets my goat is that neither he (nor Harper) seem to realize that there will come a point (15 sitting senators -- the quorum) at which they must either recommend appointments or deal with the constitutional impossibility of passing any legislation at all. Without the Senate's approval, the GG can't give Royal Assent. Without a quorum, the Senate can't sit.

John

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

I had the occasion a fortnight ago to take lunch with one of my Connected Contacts, and made the same point as did John Holding. While she said that the Senate would be obliged to ratify what an NDP majority in the House voted, I reminded her that she was assuming that they would operate on a rational and knowledgeable basis and, given some of Mr Harper's appointees, one could not guarantee this. I gave her the names of two mutual acquaintances in the upper house and she lay her head on the table and heaved great sighs of desperation, causing bemusement to our waitress.

And, in any case, a handy actuarial table would show that it would take a few years for the Senate's membership to decline to a crisis point and, in the interim, another party is likely to have its turn and enjoy the 60 or so vacancies presented to it.

The Harper Possum approach, even if adopted by a friendly bearded social democrat, is not a functional one. While Mr Harper's senatorial appointments might heed his hints on what legislation to deal with first, and to which committee, a ministry which didn't even have a Senate Leader or a house manager of any sort, would find it challenging to direct the paper flow (note, as well that the Australian constitutional crisis of 1975 had as its occasion that the Senate did not deal with the budget-- in the Canadian Senate, the Government Leader determines what votes must be dealt with-- John Holding, who knows more of such things, might be in a position to correct me).

In any case, the NDP paid for my lunch, so I can't complain. Off to the Yukon tonight, to enjoy a few days without election coverage in the forests.

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

It's the NDP we are talking about here. The CCF declared itself solidly for the abolition of the Senate in 1933 in the Regina Manifesto and that position has not changed.

The Conservatives are Johnny-come-latelies to this policy scene.

As the Senate's veto, if they block supply to an NDP government, they would set off the battle royale of Canadian politics. The House of Commons would not allow any money to be spent until the Senate backs down, and the provinces would fall into line when their transfer payments are duly cut off.

Except with 50 vacancies and Section 24 of the Constitution Act, there is no need to go that far as the Sentate cannot effectively block anything. 50 NDP riding activists aged 70 more could quickly be found if the need arises.

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

It always astonishes me how we have our hands tied by people long dead. I expect some interesting debate if (when?) there's another trial. Wadena, Saskatchewan still has a street named for Pamela Wallin. I saw it last summer. They have removed the sign that told drivers-by that it was where she hailed from. The other communities along the route east on highway #5 from Saskatoon have giant things, including a pig, goose, Santa Claus and Ukrainian girl. Perhaps Wadena could get a statue if Pamela is on the outs.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
It's the NDP we are talking about here. The CCF declared itself solidly for the abolition of the Senate in 1933 in the Regina Manifesto and that position has not changed.

The Conservatives are Johnny-come-latelies to this policy scene.

As the Senate's veto, if they block supply to an NDP government, they would set off the battle royale of Canadian politics. The House of Commons would not allow any money to be spent until the Senate backs down, and the provinces would fall into line when their transfer payments are duly cut off.

Except with 50 vacancies and Section 24 of the Constitution Act, there is no need to go that far as the Sentate cannot effectively block anything. 50 NDP riding activists aged 70 more could quickly be found if the need arises.

That would go over very well. [Roll Eyes]

The Senate can do a decent job of looking at legislation and making it better.

Abolishing it is a non starter.

Not putting in anybody is an approgation of responsibility.

The thing is there.

Grow up and deal with it.

Stop your whining and govern.

This post aimed at the NDP and the Tories, not SPK.

[ 13. September 2015, 14:19: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

# 3200

Oh and I've started a Canadian election hell thread.

Cause this all is starting to piss me off.

--------------------

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

Summer is taking a curtain call! YAY!

Today, 28 feels like 34 Sunny
Thursday,28 Feels like 32 Sunny
Friday, 28 Feels like 33 Sunny

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Back from my Gilwell Reunion - and do you know what? Didn't think of Harpic at all, except I just now noticed that in a month it will be all over. Laus Deo!

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How long is a campaign? Or is it a question of how long is a piece of string!

I find three weeks down here to be too long by about two weeks.

As for months and months,it would turn me off anything to do with elections for life, I think.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

For the last 30 years or so, it has been 37 days. But these days, the Politburo that is our government, having determined in his first term to have a fixed election date, promptly broke his own rule in the elections of 2008 and 2011 and held them in the old fashioned way. This time we are back to the fixed 4 year term finishing at the proper time, but the Government had the writs dropped at the beginning of August which meant that election funding kicked in right away. Smart eh? Anyway, the campaign should have actually begun just after Labour Day. All the new election laws have loophole you could drive a truck through.

--------------------

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Election update from the centre of St. John's:

My across-the-street neighbour who smokes a joint on his front porch every morning and evening, letting the odour linger over the whole block, now has his Green Party sign up on the lawn.

I'm still waiting for my NDP sign. The Liberals are running a "celebrity candidate" against the NDP incumbent, while the Conservatives hadn't even bothered to put anyone up in our riding till the last couple of days. They've got a name up there now at least, although it could be a made-up name for all the recognition it carries. They know this one's a lost cause for them.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

My sister, who lives in Winnipeg, says her friends in Alberta, almost all of them conservatives since the Flood, are burning and tearing up their Conservative Party memberships in disgust at the record of the current prime minister.

This is not likely a representative sample on its own, but would validate what the polls seem to be reporting in the cities of Alberta.

One can only hope.

John

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

I have been changing our guest wifi network on a weekly basis among things like: Just say no to bad Stephen, Harpoon Harper, Not Stephen Harper's wifi. When I figure out definitively who to vote for so the conservative animal doesn't get back in, I will change to something else. Suggestions are welcome.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

A quick northern and western trip provides the followingn information on signs.

Yukon report-- perhaps equally between NDP (Melissa Atkinson of the Tr'ondëk Hwëch'in and a former Human Rights Commssioner) and Liberal Larry Begnall (former MP who had been defeated by the long gun registry), and somewhat behind by sitting Tory MP Larry Cleef, best known perhaps for his carrying handcuffs for citizen arrests of young women mutilating his signs.

On Saltspring, sitting MP Elizabeth May of the Green Party over NDP candidate Alicia Cormier, with Liberal Robert Boyd running poor third, and no signs visible for Conservative Tim Kane.

Vancouver West split between longtime MP Joyce Murray (Lib) and Scott Andrews (NDP)-- there appears to have been drift from her to Mr Andrews on account of Justin Trudeau's support for C-51. No signs for anyone else.

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

In the last day or five with the niqab and old stock Canadian controversy, CBC's The Current seems to have better aim about what it means to be Canadian than the multi-party demi-educated lumpen intelligensia who want to run the country: No Canoe, No Canada, within which is the lovely link: the crafty art and historical origins of canoodling.

The canoe, the shag wagon of the waterways.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
In the last day or five with the niqab and old stock Canadian controversy, CBC's The Current seems to have better aim about what it means to be Canadian than the multi-party demi-educated lumpen intelligensia who want to run the country: No Canoe, No Canada, within which is the lovely link: the crafty art and historical origins of canoodling.

The canoe, the shag wagon of the waterways.

Very true: a serious academic of my acquaintance (OC & FRSC!!) confessed to a table after a glass or two of BC's finest merlot that her virtue had disappeared in a canoe during her 15th year. Much merriment to all and extraordinarily deep blushes to the 15-year-old at the table.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
... her virtue had disappeared in a canoe ...

I do hope she found it ... [Snigger]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016