homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Various Islands in the North Atlantic (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  58  59  60 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Various Islands in the North Atlantic
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I heard somewhere about helping dogs for diabetics and tried to imagine how they'd work, in particular relation to a friend who's a type 2 diabetic but loves his food, particularly sweeties and cookies:

Type 2 Diabetic: I wonder if I should have a cookie?

Dog: WOOF!!!

[Devil]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I heard somewhere about helping dogs for diabetics and tried to imagine how they'd work, in particular relation to a friend who's a type 2 diabetic but loves his food, particularly sweeties and cookies:

Type 2 Diabetic: I wonder if I should have a cookie?

Dog: WOOF!!!

[Devil]

According to Dogs4Diabetics,
quote:
Diabetic Alert Assistance Dogs are a specific type of Medical Assistance Dog that has been trained to use their highly sensitive scent capabilities to identify the changes in blood chemistry that occur during rapid changes in blood sugar levels.
So I guess they don't keep you from eating that cookie, but let you know when you're in danger from having had too many of them.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
perhaps the dog would be willing to eat the cookies for him. I don't think they even require a great deal of training for that.

( it goes against the grain to call biscuits cookies on a British discussion but as piglet has started it ... )

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by moonlitdoor:

( it goes against the grain to call biscuits cookies on a British discussion but as piglet has started it ... )

Norty piglit!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Some dogs can sense when someone is about to have an epileptic fit. This gives the person warning to get to a safe place.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by moonlitdoor:
... it goes against the grain to call biscuits cookies on a British discussion but as piglet has started it ...

Quite right - but the friend I was thinking of is Canadian, and the confection I'm thinking of is what he would call a cookie, and most Brits would call a tray-bake (think of things like tiffin, Nanaimo bars or (Heaven forfend) date-squares).

I usually call them "wee buns". [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The only cookies in the UK were called Dadd's (I think, not Daddies?) Cookies and you bought them loose in the Home & Colonial (later called International) Stores.

When biscuits were sold loose by the pound you could also get Harvest Biscuits - so-called, I suppose, because they had a picture of wheat stooks on them; whatever, they were wonderful. The nearest I've found is malted milk biscuits but there's still something lacking.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I remember Harvest Biscuits! But I don't think I liked them very much

If they ever come back, l'organist, you can have mine.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
Recently I have seen a dog being trained to help people with PTSD and other anxiety disorders.

That sounds brilliant. How do the dogs help (other than by being a trusty companion)?
I think they start with a very empathic dog and work with it to pick up cues of stress and anxiety - in some ways not too different from an autism service dog, but there are differences.

ps - re autism service dogs - My great niece Katie had to go to the hospital one night for observation after an an evening of increasing breathing problems. The dog, in harness, lay down on the stretcher with her and we have a wonderful shot of Katie using the dog's butt to prop her laptop (which has 95 million Dora websites bookmarked [Biased] )

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just had what I'd class as a cookie. From the fresh bakery section in M&S which is all soft and chewy in the middle.
I'll let you guess what flavour it was [Big Grin]

Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chocoholic:

Peanut butter and banana.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

White chocolate?

(yum!)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I heard somewhere about helping dogs for diabetics

That might have been Eigon and I both mentioning on the Ship that we'd spotting a diabetic dog at last years' World SF Con in London. I saw it sat on it's owner's lap (a much smaller dog than gypsy) during the orchestral concert, completely unflustered by the loud brass, timpani and live Theremin. Very impressive.

There's an excellent article in today's Guardian about the different types of guide dogs, including a bumblebee nest detection dog!

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Double chocolate [Big Grin]
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Went out to Anne Hathaway's Cottage today as it was such a beautiful day. A bit too early for spring flowers and blossom, and even tourists, so mostly had the place to myself. Also had the first al fresco meal of the year at a table in the sun: Tudor pottage. Just very nice to get out and to be able to enjoy some warm sunlight. Over the winter months, that sort of thing tends to fade into a distant memory, but hopefully the first of many.

Saw the first butterfly of the year, too: a pale yellow one.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... what I'd class as a cookie. From the fresh bakery section ...

That sounds more like what I'd have called a cookie, as sold by the bakers at home (and the school refectory at morning break).

They were soft, sweet bread-rolls, and IIRC came in three varieties: "cream" with the top split and filled with baker's cream; "iced" with the top glazed with white icing, and "coconut" - similar to the iced ones but with desiccated coconut mixed into the icing (my favourite).

Rats. Now I want one ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Some of us were stuck in a rehearsal taking a load of rhythmically challenged men through the finer points of Stainer's Crucifixion [Eek!]

I suppose I should be grateful that Alfred Gaul's The Holy City fell out of favour after WWII

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But Maunder's Olivet to Calvary is still around (I know, I've sung it).
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I've so far managed to avoid Olivet to Calvary; TBH I can live quite happily without the Stainer as well. I know it's a good piece, but it just doesn't float my boat.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Some of us were stuck in a rehearsal taking a load of rhythmically challenged men through the finer points of Stainer's Crucifixion [Eek!]

What if it had been Stravinsky's Symphony of Psalms or Britten's Cantata Misericordium? You'd still be in rehearsal now!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ariel - sounds like a brimstone butterfly. Brimstone and orange tip butterflies are the two early butterflies you only see briefly in March and April.

We had a sea of open crocuses under the avenue of London plane trees in town yesterday with lots of people taking pictures. And a photo-bombing bumblebee feeding on them. This avenue of trees was planted for Queen Victoria's Jubilee - not sure if it was the gold or diamond. The crocuses have been there for a bit but it was the first time I've seen them opened up, not closed tightly against the gloom (of early morning or night, mostly).

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought at the time it might be a brimstone, although the photos look greenish and I don't remember this one as being such. Still, a cheerful and promising sight.
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

posted by Baptist Trainfan
quote:
But Maunder's Olivet to Calvary is still around
SShhhhhh! don't give it any more advertisement than absolutely necessary.

Maunder - rarely do people live up to their name so completely.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fab day out yesterday meeting up with some friends an hour or so north of here - one friend had been on a training course there and where he was was central for the rest of us so we took the chance. Great fun was had by all - even the food was okay. I came back a bit tired and was in bed not long after 8 p.m. - no afternoon nap and I am shattered!

Sad, huh?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
posted by Baptist Trainfan
...Maunder - rarely do people live up to their name so completely.

So did Stainer come from there or just leave them?

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

You need to know some of Maunder's oeuvre to understand...

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Today is evidently Kamikaze Pheasant Day. What's the matter with the little perishers? No less than three trying to get squashed on the road this afternoon and verges splattered at intervals with the unfortunate successes. Plus a huge dead fox in the middle of the road, not far from where the last one was two weeks ago.

It does make going for a Sunday afternoon's drive in the countryside a bit depressing. Still, I suppose it's better than having deer suddenly crashing through your windscreen, as happened to a friend of mine.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Might I suggest madeira sauce? [Devil]

We did lots of lovely Tudor and Renaissance music today: Hassler and Tallis in the morning and Ayleward and Farrant at Evensong. The Dean's back from his sabbatical, and there was a fair amount of Decanal Grinning™.

I've said it before, but it's just so nice to be appreciated. [Smile]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Maunder was a regular in my parish when I was still an Anglican, as was Stainer - both eminently forgettable Victorian blah!

Particularly when sung by a choir that is not quite [not nearly?] as good as it thinks it is.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Bright and sunny today, I hope it stays that way. I am off to Manchester to search for the dress (mother of the groom).

My personal shopper will be with me so I'll be fine (a good friend who knows what I like)

It's a bit of an adventure for me as I don't do shopping. I go in plenty of shops for Gypsy's training - but shopping? No.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Bright and sunny today, I hope it stays that way. I am off to Manchester to search for the dress (mother of the groom).

My personal shopper will be with me so I'll be fine (a good friend who knows what I like)

It's a bit of an adventure for me as I don't do shopping. I go in plenty of shops for Gypsy's training - but shopping? No.

[Smile]

Be careful. At eldest son's wedding I had just about settled on one particular outfit. Something stopped me. Wedding day arrived and DIL's mum had bought identical, down to the colour I liked.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Be careful. At eldest son's wedding I had just about settled on one particular outfit. Something stopped me. Wedding day arrived and DIL's mum had bought identical, down to the colour I liked.

Help!

But I know for a fact that his new MIL will be wearing a trouser suit - she hasn't been seen in a dress for 20 years.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It never rains but it pours [Waterworks]

- I have to move house next weekend and am dealing with the drama of getting all my crap in boxes and holy cow how do I have so much STUFF and where was it all hiding? Are my cupboards the Tardis or something?

- I worked overtime all day Saturday and then had to get up on Sunday morning and go to church when I wasn’t planning to (someone else was sick) so I didn’t get to rest at any point this weekend.

- Fiancé en rouge has the flu. Not man-flu, actual proper raging influenza that the doctor has prescribed anti-virals for.

I want to crawl into a hole until it all goes away. [Help]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... It's a bit of an adventure for me as I don't do shopping ...

Are you quite sure you're a woman? [Devil] At our wedding, my mum and D's both had outfits in similar colours (turquoise with navy accessories), but they were different enough for it not to matter. We were at a wedding in Orkney last year where the bride's and groom's mothers had what appeared to be co-ordinated outfits - both the same colour (a pale lilac trimmed with lace) but in slightly different styles, and with different, but equally elaborate hats.

Poor La Vie - that does sound like a duff weekend. Hope Fiancé en rouge feels better soon.

--------------------

Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

Well Choccie is currently at about 30k feet and very much liking on board wifi!

I'm off to Sweden where the weather is due to be a little cooler than home but above freezing, I was rather hoping for just a little of the white stuff but I think I'm about a week late. Still it meant having to bring less cold weather gear.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Free flapjacks at the station this evening [Big Grin]

Anyone see Poldark last night? It was all right I suppose, but a bit too lighthearted for me, with a smiley Ross Poldark coming across as caring and selfless. Robin Ellis still firmly on his pedestal as far as I'm concerned.

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Robin Ellis is the definitive Poldark.
On a different note, we are having a silver Abyssinian kitten in about two months and can't think of a suitable name which all three of us like. Has anyone any suggestions? (We won't guarantee to take them up!)

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Do you mind if I start a thread for this in Heaven? It should get lots of ideas.

(Some more inventive than others... [Devil] )

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sure! Lord P came up with the idea of translating "Who did that?" into Welsh.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Done! Hope you get some good suggestions [Biased]
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Right. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Still feeling bummed out and highly stressed, with the added problem that the Chef™ is dying of the flu, I decided that the only thing to be done was head to Marks & Sparks for lazy comfort food.

I ate beans on toast and then raspberry jelly. My inner eight year-old feels much consoled.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Beans on toast can be a dish fit for a king, if it's what you feel like. And apparently it has all the nutritional amino acids that you need as well as being comfort food.

Win-win. [Smile]

I hope you've been dosing Fiancé en rouge with lots of Manuka honey, lemon juice and whisky/ginger/Lem-sip*.

* delete as appropriate.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Beans on toast with grated cheese on top then flashed under a hot grill is amazing - particularly if you add herbs and a dash of Worcestershire Sauce to the beans when heating them.

I've just had breakfast and am now hungry again and it's all your fault!

[Razz]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Beans on hot buttered toast with a couple of slices of bacon is my perfect combination.
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

How this takes me back to this time three years ago, shopping for my mother of the bride outfit for Nenlet1's wedding. [Smile] I don't do shopping either and everyone who had been mothers of the bride/groom were telling me how they went to this and that large retail outlet and shopping mall to find their outfits. I even had one friend who told me I wouldn't find anything in such and such a place as she had already looked for me. [Roll Eyes] [Mad] Great was my determination therefore to find the outfit in such and such a place. Which I did; on the first shopping trip I did for myself. Picture if you will the subsequent conversation between me and NenFriend - Did you get your outfit on Saturday? I did. Where did you get it? Such and such a place. [Big Grin]

I named the colour I wanted to wear beforehand to avoid clashes. I hope you found something you will love to wear, Boogie. [Smile]

Beans on toast - yum!

I have not yet seen my first butterfly of the year but according to Moomin lore if the first you see is yellow you'll have a happy summer. If white, a peaceful one. [Smile]

Nen - hoping for a brimstone.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

quote:

I hope you've been dosing Fiancé en rouge with lots of Manuka honey, lemon juice and whisky/ginger/Lem-sip*.

* delete as appropriate.

Almost. A French hot toddy (known by the charming name of "grog") is made with *cognac*.

The over the counter cold cure is a product called Fervex, which works pretty well (I don't think it's available in the UK, which is a shame because I think it works better than British cold cures), but it's only really meant for colds/mildish viruses, not full-on influenza [Frown] .

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Went to Costa Coffee yesterday and tried one of their chocolate teacakes. It's about three times the size of a Tunnocks one, and even has jam inside at the base of the mallow. I'm normally a Café Nero fan - their coffee and cakes are definitely the best IMO - but would enjoy having one of those again.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I put some raisins to soak in port this morning, so CAKE may well ensue this afternoon; we have eggs that could do with being used, and CAKE is the best way I can think of using them.

[Smile]

--------------------

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I come to All Saints in the morning, and the first thing that happens is I feel hungry!

The shops are full of Hot Cross Buns now, but I am trying to resist them until Easter. I doubt I will manage that - Mr.N would eat them all year round given the chance! If I can find a really spicy recipe for them, I might make some, minus the cross, and eat them anytime!

Lovely sunny morning, looks really spring-like, but a strong wind and rain is forecast to arrive later, so I am trying to make the most of it by sitting in the sun indoors! [Biased]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Here, Nicodemia, have a piece of raisin CAKE. [Smile]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  58  59  60 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016