homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Various Islands in the North Atlantic (Page 13)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  58  59  60 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Various Islands in the North Atlantic
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nicodemia

M&S do an orange and cranberry loaf. If it is the same as the one I recall then it is very similar to their rather wonderful orange and cranberry hot cross buns.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't normally join in on the culinary discussions here (TME does the bulk of the cooking in our house, as we both know we'll eat better that way!), but I am mid-way through having a go at something new to give to the Elf Lass for finger food, and the mixture tastes brilliant though I say so myself. They're black bean and sweet potato patties, and if the finished product is anywhere near as good as the mixture I licked off the spoon then the Elf Lass may not actually see too many of them... (diet, what diet?).

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Piglet's Curry with saffron rice is on the menu here at Casa Nen, we'll be eating once Mr Nen gets back from Pilates. Then he's out so I get sole control of the TV remote. [Big Grin]

Nen - feeling peckish.

[ 11. March 2015, 18:16: Message edited by: Nenya ]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sometimes the simple pleasures are the best. [Big Grin]

A friend of mine was complaining he was charged £8.70 for a glass of wine (Pinot) (yes, ok, I don't know whether it was Noir or Grigio) at a London theatre yesterday. The online conversation that followed led me to look up a local place which I knew wasn't going to be cheap and see what they charged for a glass of Pinot Grigio. The answer is that small was £6.50, medium £9, and large £17.50. Can you imagine! The mark-up on a glass of wine is ridiculous sometimes.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That depends on a) the wine and b) the glass. I have a half-bottle glass (375ml) while a friend has one that hold a whole bottle (750ml).

It could be poor value or a bargain.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How big is a large glass? Is that 250ml? May as well buy the whole bottle!

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The large glass is actually 500 ml. It is cheaper at £17.50 than the £25 they ask for the whole bottle. That's the Grigio (white) by the way. If you wanted the Noir (red) the prices would be £9, £12.50, or £24 per glass and £35 for the bottle.

[ 11. March 2015, 19:29: Message edited by: Ariel ]

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Most pubs here have glass of wine at 175ml and the large 250ml. Many do a deal where you buy 2 glasses and get the rest of the bottle free.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
Most pubs here have glass of wine at 175ml and the large 250ml. Many do a deal where you buy 2 glasses and get the rest of the bottle free.

Really? [Smile]

Over here I think the most I've paid for a glass of wine in a restaurant was $16 (£8.40). I think it was 9oz, or a little over 250ml; a bottle of the same in the off-licence would cost about $11.30 (about £6).

That's quite a mark-up - at that rate a bottle would cost about $48 - and you'll be lucky if a white wine is properly chilled, as most people here drink beer, and most eateries haven't a clue about wine.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Don't forget they have to factor in storage and possibly spoilage cost as well as service. That said, most of us in my damily usually frequent BYO.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sadly, BYO as a concept doesn't exist here; the off-licences are all owned by the Newfoundland Liquor Corporation, which is a Federal Government department (so they all carry more-or-less the same stock [Snore] ), and bringing your own wine is Strictly Forbidden™.

We have fond memories of a little café in Belfast called Piglet's* which was a greasy-spoon and breakfasterie during the day and a rather nice place to drop into for an early supper after w*rk. It had no licence, but there was a very good off-licence next door, and we could buy a bottle of ready-chilled white at offy prices and enjoy it with a nice, very reasonably-priced supper.

* yes, really [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sales of spirits in Canadian provinces is a provincial matter (Unless you are harking back to the glory days of the Dominion of Newfoundland).

I have been in some Ontario restaurants where you were allowed to bring your own bottle, but not to open it yourself. The restaurant charged a corking fee. This may have been an experiment. I haven't heard of any for years.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
Sales of spirits in Canadian provinces is a provincial matter ...

My mistake. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It seems to have gone very quiet beside the teapot; I hope everybody's well. There's still some raisin CAKE, so do help yourselves.

It was a beautifully sunny but very cold day here today - I don't think it got above -10°C - and according to the Weather Channel we may brace ourselves for a blizzard on Monday. This may result in a snow-day, but as Monday is a holiday anyway (nearest Monday to St. Patrick's Day) it probably won't make any difference.

It's a bit of a bummer though, as I was planning to work on Monday anyway to build up hours for taking holidays.

Ho hum. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Curse of the Migraine!

So there I was sitting in church when the flashing lights began so I closed my eyes for much of the service then on the drive home it all came back full force - well, thankfully not but it hit - got home, went to bed, cold compress on head and sleep. Thankfully woke up 3 hours later and almost completely gone. Before retirement got them on a frequent basis until I was introduced to Feverfew tabs/caps but haven't needed them since as they are so infrequent and because generally when they start I can go to bed immediately. Now just a light throbbing above right eye - why do flashing lights appear one side and then the pain on the other?

Anyway, I've missed lunch but I reckon I can afford to do that one in a while.

In other news, not a lot really - life carries on. I was told off yesterday by a 27 year old for referring to myself as old and I was told off last week by a 17 year old for saying that it is okay to be stupid when you are retired.

Well, I am 66 so think I can claim the title old, which he can't, and I enjoy being the age I am - I certainly don't want to be 27 or, Heaven forfend, 17 again! And the 'stupid' thing was that when I was working I always had to know stuff - people were forever asking me questions or coming to me with their sexual hang-ups* or something or other and I had to listen or answer or suggest where they might look for answers or help - being paid and being seen as some sort of expert I couldn't afford to be stupid. But now I can! It's bliss!

Being old and stupid has vast compensations!

[* - in the world of sexual health you would be amazed at the things folks tell you, the most intimate details of their private lives bared to a colleague - it was pretty scary at times!]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Poor Wodders - I hope you feel completely better v. soon. I'm lucky enough never to have had a migraine, but I used to suffer from fairly debilitating, nauseous headaches, which would come in batches - I'd get one, take some tablets (Solpadeine™ were the most effective for me) and go to bed. Wake up next morning feeling fine, and by lunch-time the bl**dy thing would be back again.

Mercifully they're a rarity these days.

In other news, there was a fair amount of Decanal Grinning™ today, but whether it was because he was enjoying the music or because he's just acquired a new grandson may be open to debate.

Possibly a bit of both ... [Smile]

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yesterday was such a dismally grey sort of day that I was reduced to baking CAKE to combat it. The result was my best lemon drizzle cake ever, made with the third recipe I've tried [Yipee] I hope it freezes well, as two-thirds of it went straight into the freezer (I know Sundays are feast days, but it is still Lent, after all).

There is some in the tin, though - help yourself!

Mrs. S, domestic demi-goddess

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I adore lemon drizzle cake - but with a diabetic husband it does not appear here very often! But I do have a gorgeous recipe for Moroccan cardomen and orange cake, which is more or less fatless and not much sugar which I have just made again.

I'll have a piece of Mrs.S's lemmon drizzle and help yourself to said orange cake!

The sun has just appeared here but I fear it will be a fleeting glimpse.

Though you never know....... (emoticon for hopeful placed here)

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So what did everyone get up to for Mothering Sunday?

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lemon drizzle cake is especially nice if you make a lemon cake and then add gin to the drizzle instead of lemon juice [Smile] I'm sure it would also work with whisky and orange.
A quiet Mother's Day here, my youngest had a vomiting bug so no church for us but I was bought plenty of chocolate and dessert wine to accompany it.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had a lovely weekend being indulegd by my husband and son. They both cooked me some lovely food, in which lemons (though not gin) featured, a mozzerella salad and a lemon meringue pie. [Smile]

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
So what did everyone get up to for Mothering Sunday?

Not qualified. [Big Grin]

We had the Service for Young People from the Prayer Book (it's a sort of truncated version of Matins), and distribution of flowers (to all the ladies, not just mothers), and simnel CAKE afterwards.

The threatened sn*w-day happened with a vengeance: the Council have ploughed a sn*w-bank about 6 feet high and the same wide right in front of our house. [Mad]

However, a kindly neighbour helped D. dig it out while I made pancetta pasta for lunch, so we should be able to get out tomorrow (assuming we don't get any more f****** sn*w).

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mrs Sioni was away for the weekend with the daughters while I played "bears with furniture" at home with the boys.

A colleague has passed on a vile cough/cold/throat thing. It must be bad as he's absent too and he's a contractor.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I spent the weekend partly doing an online retreat, partly reading novels, catching up on housework and watching re-runs of the first version of Poldark, which knocks the new version into the shade as far as I'm concerned.

It was a quiet weekend with a lot of food for thought. The phones were off and internet kept to a minimum; by Sunday I was quite getting into it and started to realize just how much "distraction" there is in everyday life. As a Lenten exercise it was well worth doing, though the actual retreat sessions didn't give me a feeling of the numinous or connection with the divine. With hindsight I think I could have done with longer although I was getting a bit fed up at times. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, though.

[ 17. March 2015, 11:10: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
We have fond memories of a little café in Belfast called Piglet's* which was a greasy-spoon and breakfasterie during the day and a rather nice place to drop into for an early supper after w*rk.

A bit like Adam's Cafe which we used to frequent when living in London. It didn't have a licence in those days, but does now - although you can still BYO.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So today this particular island is bright green for a certain saints day. I'm not objecting! I've made chocolate stout cake with baileys icing if anyone wants some (it's lovely :-))

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.

Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes please! Baileys icing sounds lovely. I think much of my introduction to underage drinking involved Baileys....Quite a bit of my legal-age drinking involves stout, now I come to think of it.

I have less glamorous but functional banana bread, if anyone wants some.

I should be doing housework, but went to a jolly fine gig last night and was up past my bedtime so am too lazy.

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We don't do Mothering Sunday as the Smudgelet, who is adopted, finds it too difficult. So we just had a lazy day. But he did decide it was a good opportunity to try out a new cake recipe he'd discovered... and I'm rather pleased he did. A beautiful three-tiered raspberry and rosewater cake with fresh cream! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. The best Unmother's Day cake I've ever tasted. And oh dear, the fresh cream meant we had to eat it in huge slices! [Big Grin]

I did feel sorry for all the families who had nice things planned for the day which were thwarted by what miserable weather we had. And we were a bit shocked at how many people were out in their cars, particularly at the supermarket.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was ill in bed on Mothering Sunday, so we're having the celebration a week late. Planning to go to our favourite Italian restaurant for lunch after church.
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
We don't do Mothering Sunday as the Smudgelet, who is adopted, finds it too difficult. So we just had a lazy day. But he did decide it was a good opportunity to try out a new cake recipe he'd discovered... and I'm rather pleased he did. A beautiful three-tiered raspberry and rosewater cake with fresh cream! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. The best Unmother's Day cake I've ever tasted. And oh dear, the fresh cream meant we had to eat it in huge slices! [Big Grin]

I did feel sorry for all the families who had nice things planned for the day which were thwarted by what miserable weather we had. And we were a bit shocked at how many people were out in their cars, particularly at the supermarket.

The cake sounds scrumptious. mmmmmmmmm.
I had the perfect Mother's Day trip - the usual Sunday queue at the dump vanished for the day so I was there and back in a flash, leaving more time in the garden.

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

So many tasty cakes! (The boozy paddys day cake is somewhat improved by a day in the fridge, oddly enough)

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mothering Day is not a custom here, Mothers' Day being in May. But we do observe Laetere Sunday with the Mothers' Union playing a role in leading the intercessions. We say the Mothers' Union prayer, and members distribute simnel cake.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Mmmmmm ... Bailey's icing ...

Now it just happens that the head of the theological college where D. teaches was dishing out miniatures of Bailey's on Tuesday in honour of St. Patrick - any chance of posting the recipe upstairs?

Smudgie - the Smudgelet's cake sounds deeply wicked. In a good way, of course.

And if it's got raspberries in it, it counts as one of your five-a-day, obviously. [Big Grin]

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What I learned last night: I hate flat-pack furniture. Why aren’t the holes opposite the holes? I may also have smacked myself on the thumb with a hammer [Hot and Hormonal] [Frown]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
And if it's got raspberries in it, it counts as one of your five-a-day, obviously. [Big Grin]
Two of your five-a-day if you eat enough.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
What I learned last night: I hate flat-pack furniture. Why aren’t the holes opposite the holes? I may also have smacked myself on the thumb with a hammer [Hot and Hormonal] [Frown]

How can there be any uncertainty?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Why aren’t the holes opposite the holes? (

Because you have got something backwards. And, yes, Ikea furniture is of the devil, invented and designed to make good people swear.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
What I learned last night: I hate flat-pack furniture. Why aren’t the holes opposite the holes?

Aargh, flat-pack furniture. I've had a succession of bookcases with U-shaped shelves and no backs, dressing tables where the drawers have to be opened extremely carefully with both hands in case the front of the drawer falls off, and a pleasingly lopsided chair whose back falls off from time to time. You'd think I'd learn.

And no the holes never are quite in the right place. There is always a minimum of one at least slightly out of alignment, forcing you to either strive to bend the unbendable or widen one of the holes yourself and thereby spoil it.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
quote:
Why aren’t the holes opposite the holes?

Because you have got something backwards ...
About 30-odd years ago, D. and my dad (with me as the gofer) installed a little pipe-organ rather like this in a church in Orkney, and they couldn't understand why the big pipes on the side wouldn't fit in the holes. I looked at it for a while, and realised they were trying to put them in in the wrong order; I was quite chuffed that I could see what they couldn't. [Big Grin]

You're quite right about flat-pack furniture though - there's nearly always a mysterious screw or bolt left over after you've finished. [Paranoid]

In other news, our department at w*rk is moving to a new building over the next few weeks: I saw my new office for the first time today and was v. impressed. A whole office to myself (admittedly without windows, but I haven't had those for the last four years, so I'm used to that), with my name on a board outside it! They mis-spelled it, but it's a start. [Yipee]

However, there are apparently structural issues: they allowed for the weight of filing-cabinets, but only if they were empty ... [brick wall]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi ho hi ho, it's off to w*rk I go ...

I only work one day a week (someone has to earn enough to pay for doggy treats and toys) but even then I am beginning to wish I was at home!

I think 'proper' retirement looms!

We had a lovely day at the Guide Dogs training centre in Atherton on Wednesday. They did some talks and long service award presentations. Then we saw the dogs put through their paces - amazing. We also had a talk by the dog care manager which really, really put my mind at rest. They showed us what the dogs' first days and weeks involved. They care for them wonderfully. I have told Gypsy she is in for some real pampering at Big School!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is Gypsy off to school early? It is going to be a real wrench for you, Tatze and the rest of the family (aside - typing z on my keyboard reminds me I need to clean it, sticky, yuk!).

Today is my day off as I work four days a week, but I've just decided to go down to two from September. That should be OK money-wise as long as I can sort out HMRC who have suddenly decided I should be paying 40% tax on my megre income - I had nearly £200.00 less than I was expecting this month!

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
However, there are apparently structural issues: they allowed for the weight of filing-cabinets, but only if they were empty ... [brick wall]

I'm not sure how true this story is, but at the university where I did my PhD the story goes that the entire top floor of the library is empty, as they hadn't taken into account when they laid the foundations and built the library how much the books would weigh.

I suspect the same brains of Britain who designed the library are in charge of thwarting my every attempt to do something vaguely efficient in my new job (started this week). Today's not-frustrating-at-all-oh-no-really experience was trying to log a call online to the IT helpdesk, as a cock-up has meant that I can't log onto my own computer and I have to use somebody else's with someone else again's ID (not dodgy at all, guvnor). As I'd not done it before (being new and all that) I didn't have a login ID, but there was a helpful note on the screen saying if I didn't have an ID to call this number to get one. So I called it, to get an answerphone message telling me that I should log my query online. Thanks for that... [brick wall]

Oh well - at least it's the weekend. No more work-related numptiness till Tuesday [Smile]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Does the name on the door mean you've got a permanent contract Piglet?

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarasa:
Is Gypsy off to school early? It is going to be a real wrench for you, Tatze and the rest of the family.

It's a distinct possibility and yes, we'll be heartbroken [Tear] but I would never have met her if I hadn't puppy walked her, she'd have gone to someone else - and she's off on a wonderful adventure.

Tatze will be fine, she's a real Mummy's girl - she doesn't worry at all so long as she has me.

I have asked for another yellow girl, any time after the 22nd June (My son gets married on the 20th)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Went to The Deep in Hull today and a good time was had by all. A very clever design means that you get to see the largest tank from several different angles, including from one of the lifts, which was useful as we watched a diver feeding some sawfish (half-shark, half-chainsaw) from a large stick.

There were also penguins, a giant ray and numerous Amazonian poisonous frogs in varying colours.

Is it very wrong that we finished the day with fish and chips?

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, I suppose Fish and Chips is better than a Penguin Burger - but only just!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
quote:
I'm not sure how true this story is, but at the university where I did my PhD the story goes that the entire top floor of the library is empty, as they hadn't taken into account when they laid the foundations and built the library how much the books would weigh.
I've heard that story about Dundee University Library extension, where many of the book shelves are only half-filled. Not sure I believe it, though.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I only work one day a week (someone has to earn enough to pay for doggy treats and toys) but even then I am beginning to wish I was at home!

I wonder how much of that is because your work day is Friday? I work part time and I love my job, but one of my working days is Friday and I've always disliked it. I'm hoping my hours will change soon, however. [Yipee]

Keep us informed about Gypsy - will you be able to visit her after she's moved on? And did you get an outfit you're happy with for your son's wedding?

I'm intrigued at how they got the spelling of your name wrong, Piglet. Piglit? Pigglette? [Biased]

I've got a lovely day ahead. Coffee with a friend, lunch with Nenlet1 and her husband and in-laws for Son in Law's birthday, then home to watch "The Musketeers" on catch up. And I'm going to walk everywhere as it's such a gorgeous day and it will mean I can have a glass of wine with my lunch. [Big Grin]

Nen - prepared for afternoon doziness.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Nice day yesterday. Someone bought me a mocha as a surprise in return for the coffee I'd bought her earlier in the week. I hadn't the heart to tell her I can't really drink non-decaff or to pour it away, so drank half of it (it was delicious) and spent much of the day with what felt like caffeine overdose in consequence.

It didn't stop me going to a lunchtime art class which I thoroughly enjoyed, or for going out for dinner in Oxford later and sitting at a table by the window, watching the world go by and sipping my favourite cocktail as the sun went down.

The art classes look to become a regular thing. It hasn't been formally arranged yet, but hopefully we'll be learning how to draw, taught by a retired teacher who is now a freelance art teacher and artist with his own studio. He introduced us to drawing by using a grid yesterday, which is something I hadn't tried before and of course it works better than freehand. Then we moved on to tonal shading. Great fun!

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Enjoy 'The Muskateers' Nenya, we watched it last night, and it's really cranking up to a explosive finale next week. I'll miss it when it goes, it's extremely silly but good Friday night fun.
It's darker here than it was during the eclipse yesterday. Off to buy the incredients for a fennel and orange soup that'll be ready later if anyone fancies a bowl.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  58  59  60 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016