homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Various Islands in the North Atlantic (Page 18)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  58  59  60 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Various Islands in the North Atlantic
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am in the middle of pulling up ivy. My neighbours don't maintain their garden at all so it is entirely composed of ivy and brambles which constantly try to take over my garden as well. I dislike ivy with a passion so I am happy to pull it up, but I am glad I don't have to dig up a honeysuckle hedge. That would be like a bereavement.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Some years ago I was a dinner lady at my children's primary school and we had a drum-type device with whizzy-roundy blades inside. You put the potatoes in, ran water through it as it was going, and the potatoes came out washed and peeled. I had visions of Piglet putting her potatoes into the washing machine with the potato peeler and them emerging conveniently clean and skinless.

Nen - who still can't believe she missed the "up." [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Because roast potatoes aren't the same with the skin left on. Neither are mashed potatoes or potato cakes. Chips are horrible with the skin still on. Etc.

I once had a flatmate who had no idea whatsoever about cooking. Despite that, he once decided to cook sausage & mash for his girlfriend. He boiled the spuds in their skins and mashed them, still skin on. What he was left with was a plate of unappetising looking brown sludge.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had a friend proudly point out she'd boiled the potatoes in their skins to preserve the nutrients.

I pointed out that she'd also cut them in half.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
He boiled the spuds in their skins and mashed them, still skin on. What he was left with was a plate of unappetising looking brown sludge.

I quite often mash potatoes with their skins on. Never had them turn into brown mush - he really couldn't cook could he!

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nen, please don't worry, that's how I read it too!

I wonder if it did and a little pink host edited it [Biased]

( it's ok Piglet, I know you didn't [Smile] )

Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Recipe for duck confit tart can be found here should you wish.

I remember dad buying mum a potato peeling machine as described above - only I think it was hand cranked. Mum never really used it. Tpically my father doing things to help but never quite getting it right!!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chocoholic:
Nen, please don't worry, that's how I read it too!

I wonder if it did and a little pink host edited it [Biased]

( it's ok Piglet, I know you didn't [Smile] )

Thank you, Chocoholic. What gets me is that I quoted the post and still misread it. [Roll Eyes]

I did my first sweet potato jacket for tea last week, it was delicious. [Big Grin]

Nen - now watching Masterchef with the sound turned off.

--------------------

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Chocolate cake cooking, and I appear to have made one spare (three rather than two) so help yourselves [Smile]
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I confess to you my brothers and sisters that my fridge appears to be filling up with cheese.

I have extra-mature Cheddar, smoked Bavarian, and this morning, impulse buyer that I am, I splurged out at a cheese stall in Stratford on Avon on a smoked organic brie and a piece of Bleu d'Auvergne.

My only regret is that the piece of Bleu D'Auvergne isn't bigger. It's even smaller now that I've just eaten half of it.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There was Stinking Bishop in Hereford yesterday. I was tempted, but I shared a train carriage with some nice Stilton once and decided it wasn't a good idea - not for the length of journey home.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've a trip to Holland planned in a few weeks and if we get time we may go to a cheese fair in Alkmaar where they have the cheese carriers guild [Smile]
Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well that does sound interesting - enjoy your time there!

Btw, cumin-flavoured Dutch cheese is apparently Nick Clegg's favourite cheese.

moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Once when I lived in France, I was staying over at a friend's house after a rather heavy night. I crawled to his fridge early in the morning hoping to find some chocolate with which to nurse my hangover, only to be greeted with the stink of Munster cheese. Normally something I loved to eat, but on that occasion... [Projectile]

In other news, back to school tomorrow, and 32 little faces beaming up at me [Ultra confused] Hopefully I remember how to do my job...

--------------------
All I know is that you came and made beauty from my mess.

Posts: 180 | From: Just outside the M25 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
... putting her potatoes into the washing machine with the potato peeler ...

You know that you can cook a whole salmon on the "wash" cycle in a dishwasher, don't you?

PS Don't add any dishwasher tablets ... [Killing me]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
You know that you can cook a whole salmon on the "wash" cycle in a dishwasher, don't you?

PS Don't add any dishwasher tablets ... [Killing me]

I know someone who tried that once, but didn't wrap the fish in foil first. It was a bit of a disaster.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
There was Stinking Bishop in Hereford yesterday. I was tempted, but I shared a train carriage with some nice Stilton once and decided it wasn't a good idea - not for the length of journey home.

It's worth a trip to Hereford for that cheesshop. We once bought some Stinking Bishop for Darllenwr's parents - the cheese was nice, but the smell was impressive!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My current test for the worthiness of a cheese emporium is whether or not they stock Barkham Blue - and if so, do they arrange financing for purchase of the same! That little deli in the town east of Lydney used to stock it but, sadly, they closed some years ago [Hunter & Todd?]. When I was last there I just waved my credit card at them and dealt with paying when I got back to India. It is a very nice cheese but the price...

Mind you, no cheese is cheap these days but at least we now know that it is a health food!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... no cheese is cheap these days ...

That's the case here as well, and particularly so of the white crumbly cheeses like Wensleydale, Cheshire and Lancashire that D. likes. One of the supermarkets here stocks something calling itself Cheshire, but he says it's not the right texture - it's almost more like mousetrap without colour. Or (and he thinks this is even worse) they add cranberries* or apricots ... [Roll Eyes]

Why do supermarkets have to have acres of mousetrap (usually erroneously described as "Cheddar") and about three square feet of everything else combined?

When I got home from w*rk today D. had just taken the dough for ciabatta out of the bread-machine, and I did the rolling, poking and baking, and the result was v. nice spread with butter and Tiptree raspberry jam. There's some left, so help yourselves. [Smile]

I'm also thinking it might be nice with goat's cheese, a grind of pepper and a tomato or two.

* I actually quite like Wensleydale with cranberries, but I don't like to admit it. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

* I actually quite like Wensleydale with cranberries, but I don't like to admit it. [Hot and Hormonal]

I can see why you would be embarrassed, why taint a good cheese [Razz]
A lovely sunny spring day here. I really should start some work and then perhaps some study but I rather fancy a nice long walk first. And I might go and weed the strawberry patch too.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Why do supermarkets have to have acres of mousetrap (usually erroneously described as "Cheddar") and about three square feet of everything else combined?

It sells. It's the default cheese for people who want a piece of relatively inexpensive cheese, or for families with children who won't appreciate the finer points of Roquefort, Sage Derby, smoked organic Brie, etc. It's also fairly versatile and can be used in a lot of everyday recipes without detriment.

The more I see of cheese the more amazingly diverse it seems to be, from the pale waxy cheeses of Northern Europe to the rich, blue veined ones of the South of France, the tiny round Babybels and the huge wheels of Stilton, and the stringy ones of the Mediterranean. There’s the soft white of goat’s cheese, the yellow of Cheddar, the orange of Red Leicester, the green of some Sage Derbys, and of course the blue of Danish Blue. It can be rock hard as Parmesan, soft and sweet cream cheese or salty Feta, almost odourless or something you can’t ignore from several feet away. People have been making cheese for about 8000 years, and who can blame them.

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I really miss cheese, since I discovered I am dairy intolerant. I discovered a not-too-bad-when-grated hard cheese alternative (Sheeze), although it doesn't melt - I miss cheese on toast the most) but after feeling vile for a few weeks double checked the ingredients to discover that it contains another no-go food for me (oats). Thankfully the soft cheese alternative is still safe.... for the moment, until they change the recipe.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I miss crumbly cheese, I can't seem to find it in ireland. They have 15 different kinds of cheddar, gubbeen cheese (which is yummy actually), brie etc but no cheshire or lancashire (occasionally wensleydale with cranberries appears, but never with cranberries)

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I did the rolling, poking and baking, and the result was v. nice spread with butter and Tiptree raspberry jam.

Bliss. I hope the butter was unsalted. Mind you, my son calls the sort of raspberry jam which still has seeds in it as "Devil's jam", because said seeds get stuck in his teeth.

I used to think that "Little Scarlet" was the best jam in the world, but now I think I prefer the "East Anglian" conserve (sometimes called "Essex" or "Suffolk" depending on the specific provenance of the berries).

There is an interesting little museum at the Wilkins' factory. The Wilkin family founded the Congregational chapel in the village, still functioning today within the URC; the museum has some Congregational memorabilia.

[ 14. April 2015, 12:57: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by marzipan:
I miss crumbly cheese, I can't seem to find it in ireland. They have 15 different kinds of cheddar, gubbeen cheese (which is yummy actually), brie etc but no cheshire or lancashire (occasionally wensleydale with cranberries appears, but never with cranberries)

PM me and I'll send you some [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
... There is an interesting little museum at the Wilkins' factory ...

... and a lovely café. [Smile]

A trip to Tiptree for a cream tea (or occasionally a light lunch) and to stock up the larder* for the following year is de rigueur when we're in Essex.

Last year when we were coming back, we got stopped at random by the customs lady at St. John's, and when we explained that the lumpy bits in our suitcase were jars of jam, she said "that's all right - I love jam!"

* We can get a small selection of Tiptree jam here, but it costs an arm and a leg

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Vishu Asamsakal!

Today is Vishu, the big Spring Festival here in Kerala - last night we let off lots of firecrackers and again after breakfast and will again after supper - everybody is doing the same throughout the day. Shortly it will be the Vishu Feast, which is not for the faint of heart - after eating I shall retire to my sadly virtuous couch to sleep it off - mind you I think I'll be so full my couch would be virtuous anyway even were all the temptations under the sun lined up in my room. I really will be that full. Every year I plead for a small portion but, like Dear Oscar, I can resist everything except temptation - and they know it!

Let me explain there will be about 17 dishes arrayed upon the table - and think how rude it would be to Herself, who has been cooking since the wee small hours, if I didn't at least taste each one of them. And she is a very good cook.

Have I mentioned that I quite like food?

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
WW, that sounds like great (indulgent) fun - enjoy [Smile]

My week is stressful, not helped by the fact that our weekly staff meeting was moved from its usual Tuesday slot to Wednesday, so now I'm all out of sync on my days. It's amazing how minor changes to routine can throw you off. Here's hoping tomorrow is more restful.

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
Originally posted by marzipan:

PM me and I'll send you some [Smile]
Mrs Kirkham's?

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I hope you have the energy to post some pictures, WW - your festivals are always so colourful!

Office move has been postponed until next week. Having moved half the contents of my office to what I assumed was my new one (well, it does have my name* on it), there's now a fair chance that I'll be moving to a different one, as the PTB have decided that having me, my boss and our files on three different floors is a bit daft.

Now, why couldn't they have told me that before I trawled all those boxes over on a flat-bed trolley with no sense of direction and the turning-circle of an ocean liner?

[Confused] [Roll Eyes]

* They've even corrected the spelling! [Yipee]

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am completely beside myself with excitement as tonight I make my stage debut at the Theatre Royal in Winchester! I'm part of the Community Chorus for the amazing LipService production of The Picture of Doreen Gray.
[Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

Having been a devoted fan of Maggie Fox and Sue Ryding since we first saw Withering Looks, I can't tell you how many years ago, I am just praying I don't make a complete and utter idiot of myself. Not going to list all the ways I could do that ... [Help]

But first I have to go and work in the Church office for two hours *sigh*

The Over-Excited Mrs S [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How wonderful, Mrs.S!! Don't worry, you will be fine once you get on that stage. Its the waiting that makes your tummy churn.

I am sure everything will go really well. [Smile]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That does sound exciting! [Smile]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Enjoy it Mrs S.
I'm off for a long weekend this evening with a pile* of Quaker friends. We hire a farmhouse in Sussex for a weekend of eating, drinking walking and general catching up.

*What is the collective noun for Quakers - a silence?

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

In my experience the correct term for a collection of Quakers has to be either a Gathering or, and possibly more accurately, a Confusion!

And I see Confusion as quite a positive and endearing sort of name. I see no real problem in admitting our confusion over lots of things AND we see the importance of getting on and acting on our concerns anyway.

Perhaps A Concern of Quakers would be another option.

Sorry Piglet but the camera remained on my desk yesterday and was only used a bit earlier to take snaps of a baby squirrel that Himself rescued from the attentions of a kitten. The little fellow [or lass] has since been re-homed with my ex-maths student who loves taking in stray animals and restoring them to health and vigour. He has grown up into a Very Nice Lad.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Having consulted friend who was brought up a Quaker, she advised that the correct term in her opinion would be a backstabbing of Quakers.

Or to put it another way - she said it was a society but there was nothing friendly about the meetings she was involved with.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
... a backstabbing of Quakers ...

Oh dear. I'm all disillusioned now - I always imagined Quakers to be rather nice, gentle, possibly slightly eccentric souls (sort of the way I imagine Wodders really [Biased] ). The idea of them backstabbing somehow seems wrong.

I'm still in a fair-to-middling state of confusion at w*rk - the bloke from computer services came to my office today and said "you're moving today, aren't you? I've come to disconnect you." I explained that I'd been told my move had been postponed, and I'm not at all sure that he believed me, even when I told him who had told me.

Meanwhile, computer services appear to have already disconnected the main computer program that I use.

Left hand, meet right hand ... [Ultra confused]

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Interesting. I was at a hustings at the main Quaker meeting house in London a couple of weeks ago. Towards the end, one chap decided to start heckling (a bit ranty, not a well-worded heckle) - most of it directed to one particular candidate who handled it fairly well.

But afterwards, that candidate mentioned to me that he was surprised that of all the places you could go, the Quakers wouldn't be the ones you'd expect to be shouting others down.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The real trouble with The Religious Society of Friends [Quakers] is that it is made up of human beings. Sad that.

Ah well.

In other news I opted out of my early morning walk today for a reason that seemed valid at 05.45 but, on consideration, no longer seems valid at 07.10. Still I am away for the weekend and have a busy time coming up so it doesn't seem too bad a decision all things considered and I have a good route already mapped out from my hotel and back to my hotel where I am going.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemia:
How wonderful, Mrs.S!! Don't worry, you will be fine once you get on that stage. Its the waiting that makes your tummy churn.

I am sure everything will go really well. [Smile]

Nicodemia and other well-wishers - it was a riot! All the friends I'd invited along had a wonderful time, and when I put on FB 'Let's do it all again tomorrow night!' one said she thought she would! and she'd take her husband along too!

The Stage-struck Mrs. S
[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The real trouble with The Religious Society of Friends [Quakers] is that it is made up of human beings. Sad that.

Ah well

I read a story about a Quaker woman who was overhear swearing about being locked out of her car on a rainy day.

When some one said something judgemental about her being a Quaker she smiled and said
But think how much worse I could be if I wasn't one.

Huia swearing Anglican

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Glad it went well Mrs S.
I've a lot of time for Quakers, and much as I disagree with them theologically, have never met a backstabbing one
I like the idea of a confusion of Quakers. We are about to go on a walk. It'll take 30 minutes for us to all meet in the same place, and half way through we'll get lost as we always do. Still we always make it home in the end.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well done Mrs S!

Finally I am connected! I had been without landline for 7 weeks ("it's their fault guv, not ours") the engineer came out and found that the installation engineer had wired the stuff back to front. And the mobile phone that I waited in for all day on Weds for it not to be delivered, well that's cancelled and my old steam powered one is back up and running. I feel liberated from engineers.

Am off on retreat in a few minutes - so glad to have sorted both before I go so I can focus properly.

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

Glad your production went well, Mrs.S.

Phew, it's Friday. The first week back after the holidays always hits me like a truck. Still, the kids seem to have had fun, and seem to have learnt things. We had great fun this afternoon cutting up magazines to make bizarre Picasso-style face collages.

Now, what to do this evening? Ah yes: sleep. [Snore]

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

The same could be said of the Church of England.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Well that was slightly more excitement than I expected when I went into Oxford after work this evening. Half the city centre cordoned off, clouds of smoke, sirens going off, and a major fire at the Randolph Hotel. Watched it develop from St Giles, nothing but clouds of smoke for a while then suddenly flames leapt through the attic windows and engulfed part of the roof. That was the point when it looked out of control and as if we were about to have the Great Fire of Oxford.

You could hear the slates falling off the roof and crashing. The police kept moving us back to let more fire engines through. They're still dealing with it. The outside seems to be all right but as the fire apparently started on the ground floor the inside won't be.

I never did get the dinner I'd intended to get, but I did get some good photos instead.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Gosh - I hope everyone's safe and unhurt. [Eek!]

Balaam - I was thinking more-or-less exactly what you said - it could apply to any branch of the church.

Oh well - life would be jolly boring if we were all perfect, wouldn't it?

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Just dropping in for a quick cup of cocoa while I'm waiting for a batch of French sticks to bake.

A while back, D. bought a packet of something called "harvest grains", which turns out to be a mixture of orzo, Israeli couscous, baby black beans and red quinoa, and it's been reproaching me from the larder shelf ever since. So today I decided to turn some of it into a sort of rice-less (and hassle-less) risotto with chicken and veggies, and it was really rather good - sufficiently so that I'm off to post the recipe upstairs.

--------------------

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Huh! Can't seem to get Harvest grains in England. Even Amazon won't ship them here, others will, at exorbitant cost. But I like the idea of mixed cous cous and orzo with beans. Might try that.

Beautiful day yesterday, thought summer had come, but today is grim grey in our part of the world. Still, trees are beginning to show leaf, daffs are a-blowing and everything else sprouting like mad. Garden beginning to look like a garden again and not a wasteland! [Smile]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

Oh my, Ariel! [Eek!]

Mrs S - sorry I missed wishing you well for your stage debut, glad it was so thoroughly enjoyed by all.

Mr Nen is away so I'm in my customary early bird routine. With only me to get through the bathroom this morning I had time to walk to the early service and the primroses and bluebells were blooming and the birds were singing and the squirrels were rootling about and it was all very lovely - if a bit chilly in the cold wind. [Big Grin]

I now need to decide whether I'm going to have my cooked meal at lunchtime (left over stir fry from last night) or this evening before I go to the prayer meeting.

Nen - home alone and loving it. [Yipee]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  58  59  60 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016