homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Various Islands in the North Atlantic (Page 20)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  58  59  60 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Various Islands in the North Atlantic
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you Pigwidgeon!

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Not quite convinced about the cup-cakes though - wouldn't bannock bread and frumenty (whatever that is) have been more apt?

Probably, but faced with a choice of a large chocolate cupcake with swirls of yellow-gold icing or a hunk of unbuttered bannock, most people would probably opt for the cupcake.

I had pottage recently at Anne Hathaway's Cottage and it was quite tasty, possibly due to the inclusion of ham hock in it. As I've heard elsewhere from re-enactors, you can put pretty well anything in pottage. As well as the ham this version had green veg and pearl barley, but I can easily see that if it was just veg with no stock you'd have to work on the herbal flavours and probably use onions and garlic to make it interesting. (There would be no tomatoes or potatoes or anything that came from the New World, or expensive spices.) Ingredients would vary according to the seasons.

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, our pottage does vary slightly from day to day and you are limited to seasonal available veg, beans and whatever grain is available - we eat a lot of greens and carrots in June. Meat might also be available according to your station in life, season and access. But, on the whole, food from day to day might vary little. When I re-create my lunch will be publically eaten veggie pottage for 8 days in a row but it is surprisingly good, it feels healthy and hearty, especially as you are tired and it is the only food you will be getting between breakfast and supper.

[ 26. April 2015, 09:20: Message edited by: Heavenly Anarchist ]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
.. There would be no tomatoes or potatoes or anything that came from the New World ...

They might have had coffee and tobacco by then though ... [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Smile]
Tea and coffee wouldn't really be familiar until the 17th century but I believe the very rich would smoke tobacco at this point. Sometimes I discreetly drink 'leaf posset' when Tudoring, 'bean posset' is also available. But we usually have weak ale available and it is socially acceptable to drink that at any time of day.

Off to my yoga class in a few minutes then an afternoon reassuring my students about their next essay.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You could get away with mint tea, I'm sure, or other herb infusions.
moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Long day today - full day teaching, then a training session for 2 1/2 hours after school. All very interesting, but still an awful lot of concentrating. Hence the chinese takeaway currently being consumed. [Snore]

--------------------
All I know is that you came and made beauty from my mess.

Posts: 180 | From: Just outside the M25 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm still kind of in the throes of sorting out the new office (although I think I've got the last of the stuff shifted from the old one); the next stage is to order new files that can be read from side-on and get the existing files re-organised.

And on top of that there's the bl**dy Cathedral Sale on Saturday. Tablet has been made; carrot loaves will follow in the next day or two.

[Help]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

I've so far this morning spent 2 hours on work admin and chasing up students who have an important final deadline for coursework today. I will be going back to this throughout the day (not least because I have a similar student deadline tomorrow).
Now I'm going to have a cup of tea and a browse before planning my own essay for the module I'm studying.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Confession time: I slept really well last night - I normally sleep well* but last night was really well so this morning, after I had done all that had to be done this morning, I went and repeated the exercise!

[Big Grin]

Now I have to avoid doing it this afternoon as well - but I have a well recommended movie to watch so will hurry off there in a moment.

* This is the benefit of a clear conscience [Two face]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

If you go to sleep all afternoon as well, you probably won't sleep all that well tonight, no matter how clear your conscience is ... [Devil]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I ended up watching PK with Aamir Khan - great movie and highly recommended for a Ship audience.

I am now heading downstairs to watch a little cricket before bed. Last night was exciting as MY team ended up top of the table!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Phew!

A long day of shopping is over - and my whole outfit for my son's wedding is bought.

Dress, shrug, Jacket, shoes, evening shoes, handbag, jewellery, tights - the lot!

With grateful thanks to my best friend and personal shopper. I bought her lunch and will send her flowers, I could not have done it without her. [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Shopping for that sort of thing is definitely more fun if you've got a Chum with you. You'll have to post photographs, so that we can see the end results.

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I remember that feeling, Boogie, and it's a great one! [Yipee] My daughter came with me and it was a lovely shopping expedition (I'm not a good shopper...)

I've been to work this afternoon... it's my day off [Roll Eyes] but needs must - I did offer, rather than was asked, and my manager was really grateful.

Nen - in work again tomorrow but at least it's Friday. [Smile]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm doing a bit of extra time at the office this week too, Nen - we've got the Official Opening of the new building on Friday afternoon, and I'm going to stay on, even though it's after I'd normally be finished. Apparently afterwards they'd like some of us to be at our desks/lab-benches/whatever, looking professional and industrious*, while they let the bigwigs wander round and look at the place, so I'll stay on for a wee while.

I suppose I'd better look out some moderately smart clothes ... [Help]

I need to work up extra hours anyway as we're heading back to Blighty for a week in mid-May. D's been asked to give the opening recital on the re-built organ in the Colchester Moot Hall, about which he's v. chuffed, as (a) they're paying him enough to cover both our air-fares; and (b) he thought they'd have asked Someone Famous™.

I'm currently messing about here while I wait for blueberry loaves for the bl**dy sale to cook (I was going to do carrot ones, but the blueberry cake-mix was cheaper and D. said, why not have a change?).

* [Killing me]

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

Blueberry loaves sound lovely. I could do with making some cake today, it will be a fine distraction from my studies.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
Blueberry loaves sound lovely ...

TBH, I neither know nor really care whether they're lovely - I won't be eating them. [Big Grin]

We've had a few VIP-types already being shown round the offices, and two of them were friends from the Cathedral, who stopped to say hello when they saw my name on the door.

Because I don't know when I'm finishing w*rk today, D. made me a sort of Greek salad with goat's cheese, tomatoes, olives and spring onions to take with me for lunch, and it came straight from Heaven.

[Axe murder]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Blueberry muffins worry me. They always look mouldy, even when fresh. I'm sure a loaf wouldn't have this problem, though.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I know exactly what you mean - I'm a total fungophobe, and in any case I don't particularly like blueberries ... [Big Grin]

I should be downstairs making potato salad, but I'm up here telling you about the new Pigletmobile, which D. collected today.

Cute, eh? [Smile] I feel as if I want to paint black spots on it to make it look like a ladybird ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Cute, eh? [Smile] I feel as if I want to paint black spots on it to make it look like a ladybird ... [Big Grin]

Very cute!

I always wanted to paint black spots on an old-style Volkswagen beetle.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I gave my lawn it's first (somewhat overdue) cut of the year yesterday - it's amazing the difference it makes. Of course it now needs another going over to get the spots I missed.

I have the great excitement of grocery shopping this morning, enlivened soomewhat by going with a friend, so we can at least stop for a coffee and put the world to rights.

Also, it looks like we actually have applicants for the headteacher post at my school - hurrah! Now to hope and pray that at least one of them is right for us, or September will be...interesting.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I should be downstairs making potato salad, but I'm up here telling you about the new Pigletmobile, which D. collected today.

Cute, eh?

Oh yes! Cute indeed
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Excellent choice Piglet. I had driving lessons in several different makes of car but the Nissan Micra was the one I clicked with: it felt so light and responsive and easy to drive. Five years on my little secondhand one is still a joy, reliable and problem-free. They're less cute than the older ones but still a good thing - hope you enjoy yours!

[ 02. May 2015, 07:33: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had an earlier model but wasn't so keen on the newer ones. I'm very seriously considering getting a VW Up! like this. I like the Polo but it's just a tad too expensive [Frown] .

[ 02. May 2015, 07:56: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had an early Micra, and I just loved it! Really enjoyed driving in those happy days! But alas we had to downsize to one car, so I gave it to my daughter. She loved it, and her son learnt to drive on it. Eventually she had to get another car and gave the Micra to her son, my gorgeous grandson. He drove it for ages, but sent me a text a couple of years ago saying sadly "The Micra has died". I was really sad. But I reckon it had done very well.

Good little cars.

Anyone know where Spring/Summer has gone?? [Confused]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Probably away for the Bank Holiday to the Mediterranean. I don't blame it, it's dismal here.

Woke up this morning thinking it would be fun to see a matinee today, as I haven't been to a live performance of anything for years. Choices are:

The RSC in Stratford on Avon with 9 tickets remaining, the cheapest of which is £57; the Oxford Playhouse for "Measure for Measure", affordable seats, but the whole thing's in Russian; a youth dance group's performance of "Strictly Come Dancing"; and the local cinema seems to have closed.

I settled for a trip to the supermarket instead where unfortunately they had a cheese sampling table and I've added to the collection in my fridge. If you haven't had Welsh Rarebit cheese it is lovely.

moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

Grocery shop all done, coffee consumed and world partially sorted.

I'm now busy trying to plan 3 weeks of work on The Tempest for my class of 7/8 year olds. It's challenging and exciting - I'm looking forward to bringing one of my favourite plays to life with them, and just hoping that they enjoy it. If it works, it'll be amazing...here's to hoping!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm currently in the Cathedral office, playing hooky from the Sale; we've got a military service tomorrow (Matins commemorating the Battle of the Atlantic) which needs a separate order of service, and D. and I came down to get them photocopied.

That's far more important that serving coffee*, isn't it? [Big Grin]

Heading back there for soup 'n' sandwiches lunch in a few minutes, and will probably get a bollocking from the bossyboots in the choir who thinks I should have stayed up there ... [Eek!]

* There are always several more servers than we actually need anyway, and most of us end up standing around getting bored.

--------------------

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
I had an earlier model but wasn't so keen on the newer ones. I'm very seriously considering getting a VW Up! like this. I like the Polo but it's just a tad too expensive [Frown] .

I have one of these and they are great. (Mine is exactly like the one in your pic...)
It is my second one.

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We had three successive Micras when we lived in Northern Ireland and loved them, but they've only started selling them here in the last few months. When D. told the sales-lady at Nissan that he'd had three already, she was v. impressed, in a rather puzzled sort of way. [Big Grin]

Spring Sale now done and dusted, and my patriotic potato salad* (particularly appropriate as Britain celebrates the birth of a new princess!) must have gone down well, as it all disappeared.

* When I can get them, I use a mixture of red, white and blue potatoes, so it looks a bit like this.

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

Spent yesterday in the garden centre and garden, I bought some plants and herbs for my patio pots and hanging basket, planted out some toms and did some weeding. More weeding, cutting and planting required this afternoon but it's currently very grey and damp.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Spent yesterday in the garden centre and garden, I bought some plants and herbs for my patio pots and hanging basket, planted out some toms and did some weeding. More weeding, cutting and planting required this afternoon but it's currently very grey and damp.

It must be much warmer in Trumpington than Boogie Wonderland! We are still getting frost in the mornings.

I have primulas everywhere 'till the end of May.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our last car was a Micra. My husband bought it to cheer himself up after he'd had his wisom teeth out, so he went for the sports model. It was not easy to drive, which was annoying as I'd suggested we got a Micra on the stregth of one I'd driven before (which was obviously the pipe and slippers version).

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Didn't your slippers tend to slide off your feet when driving? Very dangerous, I'd have thought. [Devil]
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:

It must be much warmer in Trumpington than Boogie Wonderland! We are still getting frost in the mornings.

I have primulas everywhere 'till the end of May.

[Smile]

We rarely have frost this time of year, the few times it has occurred we have lost our cherries as they are in bud early here.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Went out this morning to a newly opened Dutch restaurant and had a 12" bacon, cheese and mushroom pancake with syrup for breakfast. Delicious but so filling that I still haven't wanted any lunch.

It's also Oxfordshire Artweeks this month - this is when Oxfordshire's artists throw open the doors of their studios to the public and you get to see paintings, pottery, sculpture, etc etc. Sometimes the exhibitions are in village halls, or quirky places. You can talk to the artists and some of their works are for sale, but no pressure either way.

I've been to three exhibitions this weekend. One was in a medieval barn full of Victorian agricultural carts, with the paintings propped up in and around the carts, another was in a room at the National Herb Centre, with a tasteful decoration of brightly coloured handmade bloomers and knickers overhead as you approached. Amazing how prolific some of the artists are - two had enough paintings on show to fill a small gallery by themselves.

No sign of the expected deluge of rain to spoil anything, either; it's been a lovely warm sunny afternoon.

moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

Ariel, the pancacke sounds delicious, and the artwork fascinating!

I've been busy at church most of the day - we had the first of our summer open afternoons this afternoon. Not very many visitors, but then that's often the case for this first one. Hopefully things will pick up in future months.

Other than that, I'm half-planning a bike ride for tomorrow, depending on a) the weather and b) how much energy I wake up with. It could end up being a duvet day, but on balance I think I'll lean more towards getting out and getting some fresh air.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Huge congregation for the Battle of the Atlantic service today - much bigger than D. and I expected. We've had military-type services where there's only a few rows of rather puzzled-looking cadets who haven't a clue what they're supposed to do, but this time the church was full of them. It all went v. well though - Stanford in B♭ and My soul, there is a country and a huge amount of Decanal Grinning™.

We also heard this morning that we're going to lose our curate, who's been appointed to the local High Church parish; we're hoping that the Bishop will see good sense and appoint our former organ scholar, who's currently the rector of a parish in the country, but we'd really like to get him back.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Bishops seeing good sense - whatever will the laity think up next?

Fabulous, brilliant, wonderful weekend away in Mysore, or Mysuru as it now known officially. It turns out that friend, H, there has been keeping a little secret from me, as we learnt when we surprised him by appearing at his work unannounced, that his wife is due to have their second child tomorrow [Tuesday]! Yet on Saturday she [and her MiL, though MiL said it was mostly DiL] still managed to cook a most magnificent and sumptuous Muslim feast for lunch. We hardly ate anything later in the day, I was still a bit full Sunday morning but managed to force down a smidgin of breakfast when we found a Kerala-style restaurant that cooked one of our favourite dishes.

We also re-met a little lad we knew from H's wedding in 2010 - I was walking through Mysore Market [amazing place!] and saw this guy then he smiled and I immediately knew the smile from back then - he is now a big strapping 16 year old commerce student but still as much a sweetie as he was when he was younger.

We also had to go on a hunt for an hotel as the one we usually use was full [it usually is if not booked well in advance] and we eventually tried a very unprepossessing looking little place but once inside it was great, a real find - and with pleasant staff as well. My room was more like a suite and all for about 11 quid! In Reception they have an amazing fin-de-siecle style lamp hanging on the wall - hideously beautiful as these things often are.

Altogether a brilliant weekend. We got home this morning to find no power and the inverter supporting the fridge/freezer had blown so lots of food to throw away. No use crying over it, inverter man coming tomorrow then a restock and all will be fine. We showered and went to bed and I'm heading back there any minute - getting too old for overnight coach journeys!

[ 04. May 2015, 06:08: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lovely walk to the Isabella plantation in Richmond park yesterday where the azaleas are in full bloom. Why do clashing pinks look great when they are in a park and awful if I try to re-create the effect in my garden?
My husband is working today, and my son and I are lazing around trying to actually persuade ourselves to do something. Not a lot of success so far, though I have hung out the washing, and he's trimming the hedge.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm suffering from my usual Ariel Envy - you always seem to have such a lovely time at weekends. [Smile]

Today holds domestics for me - loads of washing as Nenlet1's machine is out of action, also clearing the patch in the garden where the vegetables were last year and where I'm putting wild flower seeds this year. The vegetables weren't a huge success. [Disappointed]

But we are out for a meal with Nenlet1, husband and in-laws this evening so that will be good.

Nen - always glad of a break from cooking. [Big Grin]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Sarasa, UnclePete used to have as a siggy line a quote from the late and much missed Peter Cook:

quote:
Every morning there’s the toothpaste to be squeezed, the laces to be tied: it’s a full life.
Perhaps what you achieved is enough for today.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You're so right, Wodders - after all we are not saved by works!

We have our Church Festival this weekend, so exhibition of art and craft in the church and a fête - hopefully not worse than death - this afternoon. I've made a cake, potted some plants and am helping with the puppet show but Mr. S is only coming along to spectate - we're both a bit wiped out by last week's exertions looking after the Dowager (who is much better and managing on her own, thanks to and for your prayers [Overused] )

Mrs. S, very grateful for the above [Angel]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
I'm suffering from my usual Ariel Envy - you always seem to have such a lovely time at weekends. [Smile]

Well, weekdays I spend 3h a day commuting and most of the rest of the time in an office job. By the time I get home I don't feel much like doing anything in the evenings, so tend to cram "real life" into weekends.

I was recently reminded that about a year ago I'd decided to try to do one different thing each day, even if it was only a small thing like a sandwich filling I'd never normally try or a different route to the bus stop. The idea being that by the end of the week, you've had seven new/different experiences. Hopefully some will lead to other discoveries. Some won't, of course, but there should be a few memories to look back on when old, decrepit and unable to get out any more.

Having said that, I'm not quite sure how visiting an animal sanctuary and being accompanied part of the way by a sneezing goat is going to enrich my life, but God moves in mysterious ways.

You can see the Artweek knickers here, if you want.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
...I was recently reminded that about a year ago I'd decided to try to do one different thing each day, even if it was only a small thing like a sandwich filling I'd never normally try or a different route to the bus stop. The idea being that by the end of the week, you've had seven new/different experiences. Hopefully some will lead to other discoveries. Some won't, of course, but there should be a few memories to look back on when old, decrepit and unable to get out any more...

Here we generally refer to that by the far more succinct "next week"!

I think this is a great idea and I should give it a go.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... try to do one different thing each day, even if it was only a small thing like a sandwich filling I'd never normally try ...

A challenge that involves trying out new food? Now that's my sort of thing ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

WW - we've taken your adviceand filled the rest of the day with reading, knitting and computer games (plus a rather nice lunch).

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I love being a bad influence - I have years of experience!

[Two face]

Seriously, a little bit of spoiling ourselves is a Very Good Thing!

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

I like the knickers [Smile] when I used to make and sell cloth nappies (I made modern fitted poppered ones from pretty vintage fabrics) I knew a fellow cloth nappy maker who collected other makers' nappies, they were hung from the ceiling of her workshop.
Went with friends to Ickworth House today and had a good long walk in the grounds and a picnic lunch. The children played in the river and we did a little geocaching.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

A rather different day to the one I'd planned, having woken up with sciatica all down one leg. In view of that, going for a 10 mile bike ride didn't seem like such a smart idea, so instead I visited a friend who's housebound following some time in hospital. I got yummy cake for my trouble, and a lovely two hours of catching up and chatter.

Now time to think about work tomorrow... [Paranoid]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  58  59  60 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016