homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Various Islands in the North Atlantic (Page 21)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ...  58  59  60 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Various Islands in the North Atlantic
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Like Sarasa I also went to see the Isabella plantation this weekend. The azaleas are very good but they go a bit overboard on the pink ones. The other place I sometimes go is the Valley Gardens in Windsor Great Park, and there they also have some lovely yellow and orange ones, which are my favourites.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I signed up for a taster session in Nordic Walking, and had my session this morning...it is surprisingly good fun. And gives you a whole-body workout....zzzzz all afternoon.
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by St Everild:
I signed up for a taster session in Nordic Walking, and had my session this morning...it is surprisingly good fun. And gives you a whole-body workout....zzzzz all afternoon.

St. E, I don't suppose you ever saw 'Inspector Norse' by the amazing LipService Theatre - the world's first flat-pack, self-assembly, hand-knitted Swedish noir detective story? THAT featured Nordic walking ... [Killing me]

Mrs. S, devoted Lip Service fan [Overused]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Went to Whitby today with some friends and a lovely time was had by all. Lots of the small villages we passed through had been on the path of the 1st day of the 'Tour de Yorkshire' cycling event over the weekend, so there were painted bikes and bunting and white rose flags along all the roads. One bakery even had cycle-wheel iced biscuits.

Sunday's leg started from Wakefield city centre, so we had lots of mass-hopping between us and our sister church in town. People found it easy to go to a Saturday vigil than brave the closed roads. Seems to have been a success though (apart from sporadically shonky weather) and spectators have enjoyed it. Hopefully it'll become a permanent thing.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We were in Yorkshire last September and thoroughly enjoyed looking out for all the coloured bicycles - what a lovely idea (especially the ones that were decorated with flowers)!

May Day isn't a holiday here, so it was business as usual, and making a start on the re-organisation of the filing system. It's going to take ages*, but now that I've started (well - started producing labels on the computer) I don't know that it's going to be so bad.

* As long as they have funds to pay me, it can take as long as it likes. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had the Church Festival and Fête here in lovely sunshine yesterday. Today it is blowing a hoolie (sp?) and raining stairrods, so for once the sun *did* shine on the righteous, or at least the church-going [Cool]

The puppets were a great, if chaotic, success, and there were plenty of people at the Fête buying Stuff* so I think it could be counted an official Success [Yipee]

*not me, I hasten to add!

Mrs. S, Greatly Relieved [Biased]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mrs S: re the sun not shining. there is a rhyme:

The rain it raineth every day / upon the just and unjust fella; / But more upon the just because / the unjust hath the just's umbrella.

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's also Piglet's Umbrella Principle™: if you take an umbrella, you won't need it. [Big Grin]

A gentleman with a Hoover just came to my office and (very politely) asked if he may hoover the carpet. I (equally politely) got out of his way (he took less than a minute - there's not that much exposed carpet), but I was somewhat surprised.

I've worked in offices on and off (mostly on) for the last thirty-mumble years, and in all that time I've never seen a cleaner come in to an office during office hours. There are cleaners with those big ride-on floor-polishing machines doing the corridors all the time, but never anyone in individual offices.

puzzled piglet [Confused]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Perhaps he unintentionally strayed into the wrong time zone. Or muddled a.m. and p.m.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
He's probably new. Normal service will be resumed next week.

So windy here that I was blown off my feet at the bus stop this evening. Lots of branches down, leaves and blossom petals everywhere. I gave up trying to do anything about my hair and went home looking like Medusa.

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On an old U.S. television series, the private detective would often grab a vacuum cleaner (aka Hoover) and go into an office posing as a cleaner in order to rifle through files or desk drawers.

(For a more serious investigation, he'd pose as a painter so that he could close off the office for a full day.)

Don't say you haven't been warned!
[Snigger]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had my purse nicked once when two men claiming to be typewriter repair men came to our offices. The receptionist just waved them through, and they went room to room - if there was somebody in the room, they'd ask if this was the room the broken typewriter was in, and if the room was empty, they rifled through. Then they moved onto a different set of offices.

Months later my purse, minus the money, turned up in the cistern of a male toilet; they'd been ditching the evidence as they went along.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had the same at university.

1976 - I remember it well. We were watching Wimbledon, two 'TV repair men' came to the student lounge and took the TV away while 30 of us watched them do it!

[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Au contraire - when I worked at the Large American Computer Company, the cleaners only *ever* came during office hours*$, and they would only clean your desk if you weren't sitting at it. Thus, if you - unlike most people - came into the office every day and sat at your desk, it never, ever, got cleaned!

* for security reasons.
$ and only every month or two, at that!

In the end, if we ever spotted that endangered species a Cleaning Lady, we'd all clear and lock our desks and RUN!

Mrs. S, looking back with more fondness than felt at the time [Killing me]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Office cleaners generally clean around things. They won't move anything on your desk (they may polish the space in the middle that doesn't need it and ignore the corners that do) and they probably won't move your chair to get at the crumbs under it, but will poke it with the nozzle of the vacuum cleaner, and go away again.

Once a year or so your phone gets cleaned. You know when this has happened because the earpiece is sticky with polish.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It may be something to do with the new building; I never saw any cleaners in the offices of the old one, although my waste-paper basket was emptied every now and then, so they must have come in after I'd left. Where I worked in Belfast the cleaners worked from 7 to 10:30 in the morning, and presumably did the offices before we arrived; they only came in during office hours to sign for holidays/sick leave or pick up their salary slips.
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
... 1976 - I remember it well. We were watching Wimbledon, two 'TV repair men' came to the student lounge and took the TV away ...

When D. was a student, living in halls of residence, some of his neighbours decided that what their communal lounge needed was a carpet. Someone (we'll call him Joe - I can't remember his real name) pointed out that there was a rather nice one in the bar of (I think) one of the other halls, and the next weekend a few of them got hold of a Transit van, went into the bar and politely asked the customers to step off the carpet. Assuming they were taking it away for cleaning, the customers obliged, and the carpet was installed in the lounge.

When they left the halls of residence, the carpet went with them to a house where Joe and D. both stayed. Joe graduated, and left, leaving the carpet behind. D. moved into his room in the house for the next year, and when he graduated, the carpet went with him. D's dad, realising it was rather a good carpet, kept it and had it cleaned and it turned up when we got married. It's currently on the floor of our spare bedroom, and if we ever get round to getting a nice floor put into the sitting-room, I think it may migrate there.

Piglet, in possession of stolen goods ... [Paranoid]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When my first son was a baby we moved into an old dilapidated house. We painted and patched in the baby's room and I ordered a rug for the floor. Wrong one was delivered so I sent it back. This happened twice more and I eventually kept the next delivery. When I unrolled it, I decided I much preferred it to my original choice. However, the department stor just could not get it right, even though I supplied order number and details.

Some years later we bought a slow combustion wood heater for lounge room. It had to come from South Australia by truck. That was the year of the truckies' blockade and our burner never arrived. We questioned and grumbled etc for several weeks. We were we eventually told to come into the store and take anyone we liked. We collected a great Norwegian model which burned really well.

My guess is that ours fell off the back of a truck and disappeared or was used for cooking and warmth on the side of a road during blockade. I imagine store didn't lose but made an insurance claim.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A church I used to dep in during the 1970s ordered 500 plastic cups to 'emergencies' when washing up wasn't going to be an option.

First delivery date came and went, as did the second; then a truck arrived, man with clipboard said "sign here" and deposited very large box which proved to contain 5000 small disposable wine/sherry glasses.

Mrs Vicar called company 3 times, treasurer twice, both requesting that wrong box be collected and correct items delivered. Waited in and another truck came, left another box BUT refused to take first box - "we don't do collections".

New box contained same as the first - wine/sherry glasses - so more calls made, promises made to deliver correct stuff and collect wrong, etc, etc, etc.

After 3 months, numerous letters, finally the day dawned when (a) correct stuff delivered; (b) truck to collect wrong 10,000 glasses failed to arrive; (c) letter delivered saying keep the wrong delivery, too awkward and expensive to arrange collection.

I think they're still using some of the 'wrong' deliveries for sherry on feast days [Eek!]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And no doubt they are the envy of all their nonconformist 'wee cuppie'neighbours.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am back in Paris and it is raining. I want to be on holiday again…

Last week we were in Vienna. Much patisserie was consumed [Big Grin] . My favourite thing was a joint effort entertainment between the Spanish Riding School and the Vienna Boys’ Choir. I want a white Libertana horse <sighs wistfully>.

OTOH, I am mightily sick of the Blue Danube Waltz [Help]

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
...OTOH, I am mightily sick of the Blue Danube Waltz [Help]

Hearing once in a decade is probably enough - Strauss is a bit syrupy for my taste.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A small London hospital I worked in had a 26 foot Victorian oak boardroom table nicked while there were some workman in doing renovations [Paranoid]
Another hospital had the outpatient computers nicked one evening, we presumed by some 'cleaning staff' who managed to sneak them out in black bags.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Fredegund
Shipmate
# 17952

- Posted      Profile for Fredegund   Email Fredegund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I remember being baffled that someone would go to the trouble of walking out of Warwick Arts Centre with a 6ft artificial plant.

--------------------
Pax et bonum

Posts: 117 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
... very large box which proved to contain 5000 small disposable wine/sherry glasses ...

That's God's way of telling you to have wine or sherry instead of coffee. [Cool]
quote:
Originally posted by La Vie en rouge:
I am mightily sick of the Blue Danube Waltz

<sings>
The Danube is blue, not pink, not green
Not yellow or red, or tangerine ...
[Big Grin]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
[Big Grin]

No, no -- it goes:
quote:
♫ The Blue Danube Waltz, by Strauss, the louse. ♫
Just heard it on the radio yesterday and sang along with the first line before changing stations.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
...OTOH, I am mightily sick of the Blue Danube Waltz [Help]

Hearing once in a decade is probably enough - Strauss is a bit syrupy for my taste.
What I realised after hearing it for the fourth or fifth time… is that there is absolutely no development in the music whatsoever. Especially with all those repeats bloody everywhere. You’re not meant to sit down and listen to it in any case. It’s supposed to be wallpaper for dancing to.

Actually, another Viennese favourite, Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, is also wallpaper. If you’ve ever played it, you realise that Mozart makes five minutes of music last for quarter of an hour. But at least it’s *good* wallpaper.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To follow the general theme of weird things being stolen, my friend used to have a life size cardboard cut-out of Pierce Brosnan liberated from the local cinema. It used to live at the top of her landing and scare the crap out of unsuspecting late night visitors.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
<sings>
[Big Grin]

I saw that this morning and have my petite porcine pal to thank for today's earworm. [Roll Eyes]

A domestics day of shopping and washing and clearing out some cabinets in the dining room for their collection by the Free To Collector later. Fortunately Mr Nen is here to mastermind their removal as I can't for the life of me see how they're going to get through the door. [Eek!]

Meanwhile, what was in them is piled up round the house awaiting sorting. I am completely on board with the idea of sorting, tidying and decorating, but when we have more rooms piled up with stuff than we have functioning properly I begin to worry. [Help]

Nen - looking forward to normal service being resumed but it may take at least the rest of this year.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not a theft - quite the reverse.

Between the end of a baptism service (around 4.45pm) and people arriving to get ready for Evensong (c5.45pm) a church I knew gained a massive bog oak wardrobe/linen press which appeared in the choir vestry. [How massive? 12 feet wide by 8 feet high by 3 feet deep]

What amazed everyone was the said vestry was locked to the outside world and impenetrable from inside the church; the only keyholders hadn't issued their key to anyone so it was a complete mystery how the damn thing came to be there.

Advertisements in the local press came to naught so it was delivered to the local saleroom where it was sold for a much higher price than we'd been led to believe.

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And I suppose that because you never officially had it in the first place you didn't need a faculty to sell it- result!

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Exactly!

Even the Archdeaon had to agree that it couldn't have been hidden and it had never appeared in the Terrier so... the money was very useful for replenishing the choir library!

--------------------

marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
clearly a miracle!

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We have a great - though nurse led - A & E at our local hospital, who examined me and X rayed me after I had a nasty fall and hit my head last night. I then had to go to Newport to see a doctor as there was something they weren't happy with. We then waited another 2 1/2 hours, eventually saw the doctor who told me I needeed X rays. When told I already had, he gave me a quick examination and took the collar off. I don't think he ever saqw the Xrays! Grrrr!
(I'm OK but a bit stiff and achey today so no harm done)

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
[...] When told I already had, he gave me a quick examination and took the collar off. [...]

I didn't know doctors wear collars these days! How strange he should get so informal with you, and so quickly! [Big Grin]

Hope you are feeling better soon, and all will be all right in the end! [Votive]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Poor you, St. G. - that sounds very nasty. Facetious Piglet says put more tonic in it; kindly Piglet says hope you feel better very soon. [Votive]
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
... my petite porcine pal ...

[Killing me] You've never met me in Real Life, have you? [Killing me] Sorry about the earworm.

We saw our first iceberg of the season yesterday - quite a size, and right in the bay beside the rocks.

I love living here. [Smile]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I suppose it's a matter of just going with the floe!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I suppose it's a matter of just going with the floe!

Groan!

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

It is nice to be appreciated...

...or something.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Having thought about this on the bus today I have to warn you that I can get far worse than this. If you doubt me on that just ask Uncle Pete.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm suffering a slight case of post-election-night fatigue; I stayed up until 3 a.m. (our time - 6:30 UK time), having not really meant to, but it was rather compulsive ... [Hot and Hormonal]

In other news, it's sn*wing. [Waterworks]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Well, you had summer yesterday, didn't you?

I think my friend V is related in some way to Gollum! No, his eyes don't bulge quite like that...

He was telling me this morning how, in his community, after a death the close relatives only eat vegetarian food for 12 days. Well, his uncle died and then 12 days later his grandmother died so that will be 24 days by the time next Wednesday comes and they have fish again - he is eagerly anticipating the event.

Fish!

[ 08. May 2015, 13:46: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

That's interesting, as for some reason I imagined that vegetarian food was more the norm in your part of the world.

Piglet, wrong as usual ... [Big Grin]

And yes - we did have summer yesterday. [Frown]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Kerala has a l-o-n-g coastline and fishing is a major industry - we are also a major exporter of seafood, particularly prawns.

I can't eat prawns or shellfish [another bl**dy allergy] but yesterday I had some lovely baked seerfish with saute potatoes and salad. I only eat fish once every few weeks for the antidepressant bit but I've got to look forward to my little bit of non-veg.

Plus we still quite like food.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
WW I don't know how you managed it, but you must be related to my daughter; you are the only person I know with the similar allergies. Can you eat Brazil nuts and pineapple?

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
WW I don't know how you managed it, but you must be related to my daughter; you are the only person I know with the similar allergies. Can you eat Brazil nuts and pineapple?

In season, no pineapple is safe from him. Brazil nuts? Not common, if indeed known, in India.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The twins, Mary and Jack (nearly two years old) are coming for lunch today. I've got my boys' old Duplo down and set the train track out, charged the batteries - all set!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I hope your own personal batteries are charged..twins that age could be very tiring.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Went to the Canaletto exhibition at Compton Verney earlier this week - very good.

Went out yesterday with a new colleague for a team pub lunch. (Country pub, white with black-painted timbers on the outside, less interesting on the inside.) Food was served on large grey slates, which is probably quite trendy, but I couldn't quite get my head around eating off a roof tile.

(Do you put them in a dishwasher?)

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is, apparently, trendy to use all kinds of items instead of plates. There's a Twitter account dedicated to crusading against this trendiness called We Want Plates.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
The twins, Mary and Jack (nearly two years old) are coming for lunch today. I've got my boys' old Duplo down and set the train track out, charged the batteries - all set!

[Big Grin]

We are expecting a grandchild in the summer and there is the World's Supply of Lego, including Duplo trains in the loft. There are other toys and stuff but the Lego is best remembered from my childhood and our childrens'

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ...  58  59  60 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016