homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Various Islands in the North Atlantic (Page 22)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  58  59  60 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Various Islands in the North Atlantic
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We too have boxfuls of Lego and Duplo in the loft for any possible future grandchildren. It seems to be the thing that everyone keeps. I imagine the next generation of children will have among their first coherent sentences, "I hope you've got more than b****y Duplo in your loft."

Nen - who wishes Duplo were all that her loft contained. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Japes:
It is, apparently, trendy to use all kinds of items instead of plates. There's a Twitter account dedicated to crusading against this trendiness called We Want Plates.

I may have to sign up to that. A while ago I had a burger and chips served upon a chopping board, the burger with a skewer stuck through it to keep it together. Serving a meal on a chopping board just looks as if the cook couldn't be bothered to find a clean plate.
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We have the children's books, the duplo, the Lego, the happyland, the Playmobile, the dolls, the Thomas the Tank Engine stuff and, unaccountably, the Disney videos which my husband won't let me throw out in case videos make a come back [Disappointed]
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Never mind the toys, what about the serious kit: cots, high-chairs, etc.

I have a wonderful Edwardian cot: much higher than even 1950s versions so you don't have to bend at all to pick up the child, sides lower perfectly, and metal so can be scrubbed when taken out of storage for the next arrival. And the high-chair is the proper version that splits in the middle to form a low seat with table, with abacus beads down the sides.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had a great time with the twins and they really enjoyed playing with the Duplo.

But their favourite thing? Pingu on the TV! (They don't have a TV at home)

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Glad you had a good time with the twins, Boogie. Toddlers visiting me tend to occupy themselves with trying to access the cats who will have sensibly taken themselves off somewhere toddler proof.

This morning I went on a hunt for a plain black summer frock but of course black isn't a summer colour (although navy blue is [Confused] ) so I decided to dye a white linen one. During the dyeing I experienced rubber glove failure on one of the thumbs so now have an alarmingly blue/black thumb [Help] . After rinsing the dye out I discover that, while the dress itself is black [Yipee] the thread didn't take the dye - I'll resew where the white thread is visible and then I'll be ready for playing with my orchestra.

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

- Posted      Profile for mrs whibley     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Originally posted by Japes:
It is, apparently, trendy to use all kinds of items instead of plates. There's a Twitter account dedicated to crusading against this trendiness called We Want Plates.

I may have to sign up to that. A while ago I had a burger and chips served upon a chopping board, the burger with a skewer stuck through it to keep it together. Serving a meal on a chopping board just looks as if the cook couldn't be bothered to find a clean plate.
What you are describing is, I understand, known as a 'slider'. Whether this is because you have to slide the burger etc. off the skewer, or because the whole lot is in danger of sliding off the board into your lap, I'm not certain.

--------------------
I long for a faith that is gloriously treacherous - Mike Yaconelli

Posts: 942 | From: North Lincolnshire | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cathscats
Shipmate
# 17827

- Posted      Profile for Cathscats   Email Cathscats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Don't you hate it when they go and sew natural fabrics like cotton or linen with synthetic thread. That is why the dye doesn't take. I have pretty much given up dyeing because it has happened too often. [Mad]

--------------------
"...damp hands and theological doubts - the two always seem to go together..." (O. Douglas, "The Setons")

Posts: 176 | From: Central Highlands | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Leviticus has something going...

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
They use polyester thread because it is stronger. I admit that I mostly use it too when I sew, as it is also much easier to get hold of and consequently cheaper.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Even though I dye regularly (sometimes with home made ones) I invariably forget about polyester thread - grrrrr. Still, I've a week before I need to wear it which gives me time to resew the dress.
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I spent my day teaching a 6 hour revision day in health theory. Meanwhile, my husband and children had a wonderful day dressed up in doublets and hose and romping around a Tudor Manor! Then after they picked me up we all did some wood whittling (as my husband was obviously in full Tudor swing by then and his Tudor role is a wood turner). I did my first ever whittling and carved an old man's face from a pencil [Smile]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
... I've a week before I need to wear it which gives me time to resew the dress.

If re-sewing it is an option, could you have got some lightweight black fabric and made the dress yourself?

Re: allergies: seafood allergies aren't all that uncommon, and they can be quite specific. D's boss can eat certain sorts (possibly mussels?), but prawns and shrimps make him really ill.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Related? Possibly, after all I am an Essex boy - if you have any Thompson [mum's maiden name] relatives from Ilford-Romford-Thurrock area then be very worried!

Pineapple and Brazils no problem - though not, of course, Chocolate covered Brazils - my dad's favourite way back when. Do they still make them?

Fresh pineapple served within an hour of being picked is fab!

Happily, CK, I'm fine with milk and cheese and so on - made myself scrambled egg with garlic and then chopped black pepper cheddar [at a ridiculous price] stirred in for supper last night - Ambrosia!.

The major issue for me really is tea/coffee/chocolate where a little can really set me off - particularly chocolate as it is so incredibly addictive and it tastes so darned good! Pepsi, Coke, Mountain Dew, etc. are not a problem as I never drink carbonated drinks beyond plain soda water.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have no genealogical links with Essex - arrived here via a convoluted route, so it's really unlikely. I know most of that area, as I spend more time than I like going through Ilford to Romford.

Thursday I was actually on the right train moving from Romford back to student in the East End following the morning meeting when the train ground to a halt at Seven Kings, followed by an announcement of a fatality on the track at Stratford. It's really, really difficult to sympathise with suicides when trains are cancelled and the stations are closed for hours throwing everyone into struggling to continue journeys on the then overloaded buses. I managed to get on the fourth that came past; that bus driver was not counting passengers. The whole debacle was added to by frantic phone calls about the science practical another student was attempting in Acton.

My daughter's allergies are getting better on the milk and chocolate, the blocked nose is worth the taste in her reckoning. But the wheat/gluten remains an issue, as does shellfish, nuts and pineapple. Although it might be worth checking the pineapple. (Nuts in the broadest sense as she can eat almonds, peanuts, chestnuts and hazelnuts, which are very different from other tree nuts, but it's easier to say allergic to nuts.) At one point all alliums (leeks, onions, chives, garlic) were on the list, plus tomatoes and strawberries.

Some time, when she was at her worst, I gave up on vegetarianism with her, because creating a balanced vegetarian diet with those limitations that I actually wanted to eat hurt my brain. But at her worst she had weeks of eating rice, lamb and pears which she isn't allergic to, to try and stabilise her stomach and symptoms.

I am trying to summon up some energy to write some more teaching materials for tutors with a non-teaching background. But the deadline for that lot of coursework is 22 May, so I do need to do this one.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
... I've a week before I need to wear it which gives me time to resew the dress.

If re-sewing it is an option, could you have got some lightweight black fabric and made the dress yourself?
It was an option, but the only black fabric in the whole of the nearby Big City was plain polyester and looked nasty. Plus I've no confidence in the sizing on sewing patterns - I've lost count of the number of times I've got to the fitting stage only to find the garment is too big (armholes can't be reduced) or too small. And this is when I've checked and double checked the sizing of the pattern pieces. I already have about 3 dress-lengths waiting for me to pluck up courage with. My next step is to make a pattern myself, but I don't have time for this one.
So undoing & resewing is fine this time.

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Curiosity killed - re the pineapple. I've given up fresh pineapple because it was giving me symptoms of mild allergy - tingling swollen lips mostly. Tinned pineapple doesn't have the effect. But I am allergic to physallis.

I'm not allergic to anything else at all - just physalis, and. mildly, fresh pineapple. Can your daughter eat physalis?

moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Evening all [Smile]

It's been one of those crazy busy weekends when I don't seem to have stopped particulary, and the to-do list has waxed and waned all over the place.

Still, yesterday evening we had a little concert at church, which included performances by a recorder consort; I knew there was more to the recorder than the plastic school descants, but even so it was something of a surprise to see the variety that exists.

--------------------
All I know is that you came and made beauty from my mess.

Posts: 180 | From: Just outside the M25 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I agree people often don't realise there's a range of recorders. I still have the ones I used to play at school and in college concerts. As well as the descants I also have a treble (lower than a descant) and a sopranino (tiny and higher). Haven't played them since I graduated, though.

It's been a quiet and pleasant weekend. Went to Hook Norton today, which is quite a picturesque village, in other words, lots of beautiful country cottages in narrow, winding car-clogged streets. However, I hadn't been there before so that was my do-something-different thing for Sunday.

(Saturday's was watching the BBC Young Dancer of the Year on television, which isn't something I'd normally watch but the diversity of styles was quite interesting - ballet, street dance, Indian, contemporary - and some very talented dancers. I wouldn't mind going to see a live performance.)

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've had a weekend of eating. it's my birthday today so son cooked us a fantastic meal (mushroom ravioli and bakewell tart) I also had lunch out with a friend that has a birthday tomorrow yesterday and with my mum on Friday. I've slightly offset the food and alcohol by a bit of gardening this afternoon.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Happy Birthday, Sarasa!
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
... As well as the descants I also have a treble (lower than a descant) and a sopranino (tiny and higher) ...

We've got a Garklein, which is a fifth higher (and even tinier and squeakier) than a sopranino; its bottom note is 2 octaves above middle C (the same as the high note in Allegri's Miserere). I played the tenor when I was in school, and owned one, but I've no idea what happened to it; it may well turn up when we finally have to clear Dad's house ... [Eek!]

We had absolutely my sort of day musically today: Byrd's Mass for Four Voices and Tallis's Verily, verily I say unto you in the morning, Morley canticles and Greene's Thou visitest the earth in the evening, and organ voluntaries that might have come from the score of The Six Wives of Henry VIII, and made you want to dance a galliard (or something like that).

This all made me a happy piglet, and also caused much Decanal Grinning™ [Big Grin]

PS Happy birthday, Sarasa! [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Belated Felicitations, Sarasa!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I miss the bass recorder I had regular access to for a couple of years. I loved my treble recorder as well, and would've given up on recorder playing completely if I'd not been persuaded to move to treble.

Come to think of it, I'd've given up on singing if my then very sensible music teacher hadn't put me with the altos when I joined the secondary school choir.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

Happy belated birthday Sarasa.
Lots of gardening done yesterday, I cleared a new flower bed and sowed seeds, rescued another bed from the weeds, hoed the veg patch and planted some climbers near my son's play hut.
A busy day staring at the screen today though. I've just planned out a marking grid and I'll shortly be going to my yoga class, then when I get back it's a marathon marking session until late in the night.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Busy day in the garden here as well. Cleared all the pots of bulbs, replanted the daffodils but chucked the tulips, they never do very well in the garden again, and I wasn't all that keen on the colour, not at all like it said on the packet! Then got rid of old compost, cleaned and refilled the pots ready for pre-ordered plants arriving next weekend from a local grower.

Trouble is, I've forgotten what I ordered! [Hot and Hormonal]

Also have two Gro-Bags waiting for possibly peppers and a courgette, when weather is reliably summery. Against our house wall they should do well. I hope. [Smile]

Very impressed by our musical and recorder-playing Shippies. My sister started playing the recorder but found it too difficult for her arthritic fingers. I am totally unmusical so will not be going anywhere near an instrument!! [Biased]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We are off to Holy Island for a few days with both dogs. Neither has seen the sea before - I can't wait to see their reactions!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Skipper, of blessed memory, used to get cross with the sea and would run along barking at it!

The sea didn't seem at all perturbed.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This recorder discussion is timely as I was playing one at church yesterday. Usually I play the guitar, but some songs, usually golden oldies, are best left unstrummed. I then play the piano harmony on a treble, or occasionally the tune on a descant. Yesterday it was God is Love. I do have a brace of tenors but rarely play.

The Holy Isle at this time of the year sounds lovely. There's nothing quite like the smell of wet dog [Smile]

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Skipper, of blessed memory, used to get cross with the sea ...

You should have called him Canute. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
We are off to Holy Island for a few days with both dogs. Neither has seen the sea before - I can't wait to see their reactions!

[Smile]

Lots of photo opportunities! We look forward to seeing the results! *watches blog impatiently* [Biased]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Stopped off at the supermarket on the way home this evening. In addition to the extra mature Cheddar and the Cheddar with caramelized onions I already had in, I now have Camembert with mushroom, Bavarian smoked cheese with ham, and Roquefort. Moral: never shop when you're hungry.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Problem: at the cheese counter one is always hungry!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Ariel, I'll be right over with a French stick or two. What colour of wine would you like me to bring? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

A party! I'm coming too! [Big Grin]

Nen - who in reality has to go to work. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Problem: at the cheese counter one is always hungry!

This man ^ spends thousands at a cheese counter and should never be left unescorted.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I hasten to add that is thousands of rupees and not sterling - and the rate is about Rupees 100 = one pound!

Still I like spending money on cheese and Uncle Pete certainly seems to enjoy eating it!

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Just back from a long walk round the Island, the dogs loved it. Even better there was nobody around at all - causeway closed until mid day.

They are now snoozing before we go to Bamburgh castle.

It is very dog friendly round here - all pubs, cafes etc allow them [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sounds lovely Boogie - certainly somewhere I'd like to go to.
Thanks for the birthday wishes, it was certainly one of the nicest weekends of celebration I've had in a while. it isn't quite finished as I'm being taken out to tea in a posh hotel on Friday.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Ariel, I'll be right over with a French stick or two. What colour of wine would you like me to bring? [Big Grin]

Happy for you to bring over whatever you think would suit. I have several favourites, red, white and pink.

(Assuming there's any cheese left by the time you get here...)

[ 12. May 2015, 14:51: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We're actually coming over to Blighty next week for D's organ recitals in Colchester, but I suspect we'll be a bit to the east of Platform 3.

The official opening one is by invitation, but there's a second one, open to the public, the following Sunday; if anyone in the Mystic East™ wants details, send me a PM. [Smile]

We're hoping to be able to fit in a Cambridge Sprint (evensong at King's, followed by a sprint along the road for evensong at St. John's), as we haven't done one for ages, but whether we'll get the time is another matter. We're missing out on going to a Cathedral Organists' Association conference at King's (it's happening today [Frown] ), about which we're mightily pissed off, but think we might try and fit our Proper Holiday round the winter conference, assuming it's somewhere reasonably accessible.

--------------------

moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Boogie, enjoy Holy Island - it's one of my most favourite places.

Today has been somewhat frantic. I had an hour between getting home from work and leaving again for the Archdeacon's visitation service, during which time I had to wash, dry and straighten my hair, eat something and type up the notes to two meetings (fortunately both very brief). By some miracle I managed it, but I'm still somewhat 'jangly' a few hours later. Time for bed with a nice cup of herbal tea I think...

--------------------
All I know is that you came and made beauty from my mess.

Posts: 180 | From: Just outside the M25 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

I am still in my marking pit of despair but I am telling myself I am on that final stretch and then the marking evil will disappear until the new academic year. Tomorrow I will celebrate!
(Of course, then I have to write an essay of my own for which my tutor has generously given me an extension...)

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Back for lunch after another long walk round the island in the sunshine. This is dog heaven!

Once the causeway opens we will leave and find another huge, empty beach. But until then it's really quiet.

I am looking forward to processing all the photos.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Boogie, make sure you sample the local Mead whilst you're there. Purely in the interests of the local economy, don't you know.

Embleton bay/Dunstanburgh castle area would be my recommendation for The Most Gorgeous Beach In The World if you're looking for a particular place to point the car towars...

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wish TICTH was still up and running. I've got an UTI, [Frown] [Roll Eyes] and as with any infection, it seriously affects my walking. [Frown] The good side of it is that I had taken a sample to the doctor's, and he rang tonight to tell me that there is a prescription for a different antibiotic at the chemists we use. There are definite advantages in living in a small town [Smile]

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Back for lunch after another long walk round the island in the sunshine. This is dog heaven!

Once the causeway opens we will leave and find another huge, empty beach. But until then it's really quiet.

I am looking forward to processing all the photos.

[Smile]

If you are heading towards Bamburgh, head for Budle Bay first. Watch for mud flats or dog washing could be on the cards.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
I wish TICTH was still up and running. I've got an UTI, [Frown] [Roll Eyes] and as with any infection, it seriously affects my walking. [Frown] The good side of it is that I had taken a sample to the doctor's, and he rang tonight to tell me that there is a prescription for a different antibiotic at the chemists we use. There are definite advantages in living in a small town [Smile]

I hope you are better soon [Frown]

I have finished my marking for the academic year - hooray!

[ 13. May 2015, 23:06: Message edited by: Heavenly Anarchist ]

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I think UTIs deserve a special Hell all of their very own! Preferably somewhere down in the hottest and most uncomfortable part of the lake of fire. It's the keep taking lots of fluid when I know peeing is going to be agony that I find difficult.

I feel for you St G and I hope you get better soon.

Congratulations on the marking HA, isn't it wonderful to get it over with? I just hope and pray you don't get a little package asking you to second mark a piece just when you've put your marking brain away.

We have had three little nieces of Herself staying until yesterday, they were very sweet but it's quite nice to wake up to a child-free house!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... it's quite nice to wake up to a child-free house!

When I still lived at home and my nephews and nieces were little, I used to feel a little bit sad to come home from w*rk when they'd left after a visit and there was no longer a row of little wellie boots in the porch, until I realised that there would also be no-one yelling and running about under our feet ... [Big Grin]

Now the eldest has a toddler of his own (and another on the way). I'm getting old.

[ 14. May 2015, 02:44: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  58  59  60 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016