homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Various Islands in the North Atlantic (Page 29)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  ...  58  59  60 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Various Islands in the North Atlantic
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had a few rumbles of thunder over here today too. Nothing really dramatic - it just got rather dark and rained a bit, and felt very close and humid. I've been nursing a slight headache off-and-on most of the day, which I suspect was brought on by the weather (and not at all by the glass of red wine I had with my lunch [Big Grin] ).

I hate muggy weather - if it's like this now what's it going to be like in July and August? [Eek!]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
After a night of rain it has stopped - but is it dry enough to bring out the punters to a carboot sale I've packed my car for? Hope so because I don't want to bring too much of it home again - the next I can get to is mid Aug and it's so much clutter!
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just been deluged. In the rain, the honey-coloured stone of the cottages looks darker, and the trees send a fusillade of drops crashing down on you. Lots of surface water, so sudden great showers from cars, and mist all over the hills. No sheep to be seen - if they have any sense they'll be indoors where it's dry, watching breakfast television.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ariel, you have just reminded me about the other day when I got up at first light and walked to the ATM in town - we had had a night of rain and there was still standing water on the main road by the bus stand and I was just passing when a bus had to veer into it to avoid oncoming traffic...

...I got rather wet.

As for sheep watching breakfast, it is all set at about their level!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
M11 corridor, roughly halfway between Cambridge & Harlow.

Near a market town known for historic flower production then?

AG

It seems that yesterday I forgot where I live. I should have said halfway between Cambridge & London, which puts me south of the town you refer to, about halfway between there & Harlow.

Woke up today to a gentle rain, which has continued all morning. Perfect for the garden, which already looks much refreshed, and much better than a heavy downpour which would have flattened everything.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A bit south of my old stamping ground, then. Still nice enough if you avoid Harlow!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As Nancy Astor [I think] once remarked to an actress with the name Harlow - the "T" is silent.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Woke up today to a gentle rain, which has continued all morning. Perfect for the garden, which already looks much refreshed, and much better than a heavy downpour which would have flattened everything.

You must have had the rain that passed over here during the night - enough for the allotment,met to have a drink, but dry by the time I hit the carboot sale. I sold quite a bot, so less clutter went back into the garage for the next one in a couple of months time. As people passed my boot, fingering and toying but not buying, I wondered if anyone has published a study of the psychology of carboot sales - of sellers as much as of buyers.
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Not too far from me then, even if you are not in the flower producing small market town [Smile]
Drizzly and dark here but no thunder. I was at a work study day where we had an interesting lecture this morning from a PhD student on expressing pain through creative means. The afternoon was spent looking at handling plagiarism. An enjoyable day, I don't often get to meet up with fellow tutors.

[ 13. June 2015, 19:31: Message edited by: Heavenly Anarchist ]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

originally posted by Welease Woderwick

Nancy Astor [I think]

It's usually attributed to Margot Asquith, explaining the pronunciation of her own name.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Thank you, I felt some doubt when I named the person but she is often a safe bet for quotes from that era.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
...I got rather wet ...

Wodders, your gift for the Great British Understatement is unparalleled! [Killing me]

We went down to Chafe's Landing for lunch today - first of the season - and it was every bit as good as we remembered. D. had excellent fish & chips, and I had fish-cakes with a sort of piccalilli and garden salad, and then we shared a piece of lemon meringue pie. With drinks (Coke for him, v. generous glass of Pinot Grigio for me), the bill came to $38 (about £20). Even allowing for adding on a tip, you could barely make it yourself for that. This could become something of a habit during the summer ... [Smile]

After that I indulged in a spot of retail therapy and treated myself to a new pair of sandals. Well, it is nearly summer after all. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The GIN Festival was a great treat - we were given a lovely cocktail (Winchester 75? made with grapefruit juice and prosecco) on arrival, with no less than 5 varieties to taste during the talks, followed by a delicious G&T made with Winchester's own Twisted Nose gin and Fever Tree tonic [Axe murder]

I may have purchased [Hot and Hormonal] 500 ml of the limited-edition aged Winchester gin (flavoured with watercress, among other things [Yipee] )

It was all most entertaining and informative, or it would have been if I could remember any of it this morning [Hot and Hormonal] Now I'd better get on and make the cushion covers that it was a thank-you for!

Mrs. S, hoping she's sobered up by now

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
quote:

Not too far from me then, even if you are not in the flower producing small market town [Smile]
And I'm further south on that corridor. I can still catch the tube, just. Although, I suspect the way the TfL net is widening, that may not be such an issue in the future. I've been travelling on the new TfL rail service for the last couple of weeks (the rail out to Romford and Shenfield changed to TfL in advance of Crossrail) and have been watching the new livery go up along the line, very, very slowly.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Having just been told by the new church I've been going to that I can't go today's service because I don't have children [Waterworks] I am now using the time to bottle up some gooseberry wine - make a note in your diary folks for a years time when it'll be ready to sip.
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
Having just been told by the new church I've been going to that I can't go today's service because I don't have children [Waterworks] I am now using the time to bottle up some gooseberry wine - make a note in your diary folks for a years time when it'll be ready to sip.

Not an especially welcome church, then, eh? When I was a churchgoer, I chose an early service where the youngest people present were the altar-servers, and even there, a single man is about as welcome as blackflies.

[ 14. June 2015, 10:30: Message edited by: Uncle Pete ]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
DaisyDaisy - I think I'd have stern words with them about that. I quite often go to servcies that are obviously child friendly, but it doesn't mean they shouldn't be person on their own friendly too. Mind you if it was a First Communion Sunday you might not want to be there! Looking forward to the gooseberry wine. We still have some damson gin if you want to drown you sorrows...

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry to hear that daisydaisy, that's just wrong.

(I went to church in MK this morning. Yes, we did Shine, Jesus, shine [Ultra confused] )

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

The other times I've been to this church they have given me such a genuine welcome that this came as a bit of a shock - enough to make me cry.
I have emailed them to suggest they either need to rethink how they publicise this service on the weekly bulletin or rethink the model of this unfriendly service. I suspect it's because children get dropped off by their parents (really Sunday School without a church service running in parallel) and so there are child protection issues, but I used to lead a Messy Church which had the opposite approach and was inclusive regardless of age or parental status, where children could only attend with their parents (or other responsible adult). I guess I was expecting it was the same - having been assured by the leader that it was effectively Messy Church under a different name.

Ho hum. Still, 6 bottles of gooseberry wine are now waiting to be labelled, and gooseberries are defrosting ready for jam making (emptying the freezer ready for this year's harvest).

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Be careful Sarasa, Piglet will be knocking at your door!

I can't understand someone not being welcome to attend a church service - do they want you to be police-checked before they let you in the door?

eta: does Shine Jesus shine constitute cruel and unusual punishment?

[ 14. June 2015, 12:32: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:

I withdrew my help from all child related work in our church when I learnt no (other) childless adults were allowed to go to our Messy Church.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

I think they must have misunderstood some of the aims of Messy Church - all-age and welcoming. It's not a kids club.

[ 14. June 2015, 13:19: Message edited by: daisydaisy ]

moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
daisydaisy, that does indeed sound upsetting. Well done you for complaining (nicely, it sounds like). And, I will look forward to the gooseberry wine. [Biased]

Over in my corner of the world I'm taking a 'mental health' afternoon - essentially doing nothing and curling up in bed. It's been a tough week, with a bad combination of simultaneously trying to grieve a very personal loss and hold everything together at work. Hence an 'empty' afternoon to give my little brain some time to recover.

--------------------
All I know is that you came and made beauty from my mess.

Posts: 180 | From: Just outside the M25 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My sympathies. I've spent a lot of the weekend falling asleep and haven't bothered to put the phones back on, however I did make it to one of the open-air summer shows where I've been watching equestrian acrobatics, ferret-racing, pig-racing and a fire performance artist. All good stuff; summer never feels like summer without some kind of village fete or county show to go to.
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Daisydaisy, that's awful. I'm sure that isn't how "church" should be interpreted.

Ariel - you had fine enough weather to enjoy an outside event?? Cold grey and miserable here. Tends to make me feel the same. [Frown]

Enjoying being Church-less now. [Smile]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Welease Woderwick: eta: does Shine Jesus shine constitute cruel and unusual punishment?
Hehe, to be honest I found the occasion rather funny. I'd heard so much about the song on the Ship, and during the second church service I attended in the UK I already heard it in real life [Smile]

It did make me feel a bit squeezy in the stomach (but that may have been my breakfast).

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Back home from five days in Lisbon, Portugal - which I spent with six of my girlie friends - lots of fun, sun, red wine and mojitos!

Back to the news that my new puppy arrives on July 7th and she will be called Rae, Raine, Reiner, River or Rena. Exciting times!

[Angel]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Boogie: Back home from five days in Lisbon, Portugal - which I spent with six of my girlie friends - lots of fun, sun, red wine and mojitos!
LOL, nothing wrong with having a Cuban drink, but I do think that Portugal also has a lot to offer when it comes to their own drinks. As long as you enjoyed yourself!

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Back to the news that my new puppy arrives on July 7th and she will be called Rae, Raine, Reiner, River or Rena. Exciting times!

[Angel]

I'm anxious to hear about the new puppy and see pictures!

Are you getting a yellow or a black?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
I'm anxious to hear about the new puppy and see pictures!

Are you getting a yellow or a black?

A yellow girl, Golden Retriever x Labrador cross. I won't get to know her name or details until a week before. Meanwhile I will catch up with housework as there will be no time for any of that when she arrives!

(Oh, and my son's wedding on Saturday - that will keep me occupied too!)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
A yellow girl, Golden Retriever x Labrador cross.

[Axe murder]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Be careful Sarasa, Piglet will be knocking at your door!

Absolutely - I'll be right over! [Smile]

Daisydaisy, I've no experience of Messy Church* - I've heard of it but I'm not exactly sure what it is [Hot and Hormonal] - but I really don't understand why you should be unwelcome just because you haven't got children. As others have suggested, are they going to ask for CRB checks (or whatever they're called this week) before they give you a hymn-book?

* I regard church as an escape from my messy house ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That was pretty horrible daisydaisy. Not sure churches are doing themselves any favours. Have they read the safeguarding stuff that says most children are abused in their own families? Because only family members is not protective.

It was pretty wet and miserable here. Sunday was spent on a District Fun Day for Girlguides - so Rainbows, Brownies and Guides. The girls weren't happy orienteering in the rain wearing canvas shoes for the morning activity. We ended up abandoning looking for any posts that weren't accessible from tracks to save them going over any more wet grass. Afternoon was spent with them visiting whatever they wanted of a list of activities. Our group came back proudly saying they'd managed 6 different activities in the 3 hours, from a selection of climbing walls various, rope ladders, free-falling - top of telegraph pole distance on a rope, crate-stacking, high platform (10 metre pole, four of them standing on top after climbing the pole), grass sledding, pedal cars, aeroball (sort of volleyball on a trampoline) and archery. There was pond dipping and a minibeast trail for those who didn't fancy falling off tall things.

I nearly got to wall climb after saying I'd never done it - I was giving someone a loo break and fetching and carrying tea at the time. It was just as there was a hiatus in activity, however saved by an influx of girls wanting to play.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Boogie - you expect to do housework plus your son's wedding AND getting a new puppy??? I would abandon all idea of that and just enjoy wedding and the puppy! [Biased]

Labrador/Golden Retriever cross sounds absolutely beautiful. You will lose your heart to her again! [Axe murder]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Boogie - I look forward to photos of this gorgeous sounding R-named girl!

Piglet - when done well (and I believe most are) Messy Church can be a great way for people who aren't really "into" church to "do" church. It's one of the many Fresh Expressions of church that are popping up. Because children aren't left there but an adult stays with them (sometimes on the side watching on, but usually taking part too) there are no CRB (or whatever it's called now) requirements.

In an attempt to empty the freezer ready for this year's harvest, I made gooseberry and elderflower jam - I often wondered how to make these 2 ingredients coincide and of course the freezer makes it possible. Same with gooseberry and strawberry jam - if today's strawberry harvest is any good I'll be trying that out.
Scones and jam anyone?

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

mmmmmmmm - yes please daisydaisy - sounds delicious!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Caught the bus at lunchtime to go shopping and realized partway I'd left my money at the office. Got off to walk back and almost immediately a tiny fly flew into my eye and got squashed under my contact lens. As I was then in the middle of nowhere it wasn't possible to rinse this out so I extracted what I could and carried on, but it felt gritty the rest of the afternoon.

This has only happened to me once before years ago and then it was a greenfly, while I was running for a bus, which is a situation where you can't do anything at all.

I then sent several people a revised version of a document I'd signed off as definitive, only to discover that this one wasn't definitive either and a further revised version would have to be sent out immediately.

Tomorrow is another day. I can at least say that homemade Dutch savoury pancakes and cherry pie are some consolation.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Poor Ariel - there are few things worse than a contact lens attack. I don't think I've ever had anything quite as substantial as a fly under mine, but the following equation often applies:

dry, windy weather + dust + contact lenses = ouch.

In extremis(i.e. when I haven't got my lens drops with me and my eye feels as if it's bleeding) I've been known to take a lens out, lick it and put it back in; a friend told me years ago that one's saliva is slightly antiseptic and won't do any harm. It doesn't work that well, but it's better than nothing.

In better news, it's a gloriously sunny day here, and forecast to go up to 20° later - the upper limit of my comfort zone. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I have the name of my pup!

She's a sponsored puppy so, even 'tho she is from the R litter, her name is Twiglet!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well she'll be 'R Twiglet' then, won't she...

(I know, appalling... and it doesn't even work with every accent)

When does she arrive?

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Ferijen:

When does she arrive?

7th JUly Ferijen, she will be 7 weeks old.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ferijen:
Well she'll be 'R Twiglet' then, won't she...

(I know, appalling... and it doesn't even work with every accent)

I'm thinking "Riglet" with a Scooby Doo accent...

Can't wait for photos!

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
In extremis(i.e. when I haven't got my lens drops with me and my eye feels as if it's bleeding) I've been known to take a lens out, lick it and put it back in; a friend told me years ago that one's saliva is slightly antiseptic and won't do any harm. It doesn't work that well, but it's better than nothing.

Yes, I do that when there's no other resource. It's usually fine, unless you've just had lunch.

Incidentally, I was wondering if anyone here has ever tried laughter yoga? I had the chance of going to a lunchtime session last week, which I didn't take up, but am curious.

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:

Yes, I do that when there's no other resource. It's usually fine, unless you've just had lunch.

My husband also does that, whilst the ophthalmic casualty nurse inside me quietly screams... [Big Grin]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... her name is Twiglet! [Big Grin]

How very cool - from her rhyming friend! [Smile]

We went to Milestones for lunch today, as they're celebrating their 25th anniversary with a special 25% off menu.

We started by sharing warm goat-cheese with roasted garlic, warm bread and fig jam (much yummier than it sounds), then D. had a four-cheese veggie burger and I had prawns in a creamy, lightly-Cajun-spiced sauce, which was absolutely heavenly. I usually give anything with Cajun spices a wide berth, but this was subtle and utterly delicious.

They have the special menu on until the 28th of June; we might need to go back, just to make sure ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ooh, Piglet, that does sound delicious! And yay for the new pup, Boogie [Smile]

We also have new life at school - our Nursery and Receptions classes have an incubator with eggs all waiting to hatch, so we're looking forward to some fluffly little chicks over the next few days! There was a tiny chip in one of the ten eggs last night, so hopefully over the next couple of days the babies will emerge.

Looking like a nice day here - we have our inter-school rounders tournament after school today, which, as me and a colleague look after the scoring, is a nice excuse to sit in the sun for a couple of hours!

Have a good one, all!

--------------------
All I know is that you came and made beauty from my mess.

Posts: 180 | From: Just outside the M25 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rounders! I haven't heard of that game since I was in primary school a very long time ago.

We used to play at lunchtime but competition sport was basketball, now known as netball.

Do you mean the game vaguely similar to softball? That is what we knew as rounders and teams had no set number. It depended how many turned up to play.

[ 17. June 2015, 05:44: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I played rounders at primary school - and isn't something similar popular in North America, Japan and Philippines?

[Biased]

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

Hatching eggs, how exciting! We occasionally buy fertilised eggs on eBay to hatch under a broody hen. We only have 3 elderly ladies left now and I'd be tempted to hatch some replacement chicks this year if the Orpington starts getting broody. We'll keep any females and eat the males.
One of our friends hatched some chicks but we had to tell her that the rather beautiful friendly one which followed her around was clearly a cockerel. My husband had to dispose of it for her when it started crowing.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Rounders – we had that at school too. I used to dread this. Having to wear gym kit which never felt comfortable for a start, then being the focus of all eyes as your turn came to wield a wooden bat splintered by generations of girls thwacking a hard ball vigorously. My instinct was usually to duck when the ball whizzed towards me and try to avoid it which usually meant having more than one attempt to hit it. I then had to run with classmates yelling at me followed by silent disapproval afterwards as I slunk back to welcome anonymity in the crowd. Those were the days.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  ...  58  59  60 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016