homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Various Islands in the North Atlantic (Page 31)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  ...  58  59  60 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Various Islands in the North Atlantic
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My immediate thought when reading about doors where the key works only one side made me think of the government hostels such as Parkhurst and Albany and Dartmoor and Wandsworth et al.

But perhaps that just the weird way my mind works.

I was supposed to go to The Big City today but, frankly, couldn't be bothered - perhaps I'll manage it next week.

Standing naked in the bathroom doorway [TMI?] this morning thinking that if I have a shower it might wake me up and wondering if I really wanted to wake up. Eventually I had the shower but still wonder if I wanted to wake up. Some days seem like perfect sleeping days.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm not a folk-music aficionado, but the Charles Rennie Mackintosh font on the Folk by the Oak web-site might be cool enough to turn me into one. [Cool]

D. did his "Last Night of the Proms" concert to an appreciative but microscopic* audience; if the Cathedral's "publicity director" (as she calls herself) doesn't get her finger out and do some actual publicity next year, then this really will have been the last night. [Mad]

Shame really, as it was a v. good concert: it included Renaissance dances by Susato and Praetorius, sundry other bits and bobs and his transcription of Vaughan Williams' Tallis Fantasia, which was lovely.

* I reckon there were only a handful of the audience who I didn't actually know by name.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarasa:
I'm not sure about folk festivals, but I'm up for a pint somewhere if you can fit it in LeRoc.

Shipmeet. Beermeet. Folkmeet. LeRocmeet. I'm in. (Assuming I too am in the country, has been a year of travel for me so far.)

Also, LeRoc, you do know about Greenbelt don't you? There are a fair few Shippies who go. Plus a decent beer tent.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm not long in after the Cathedral Patronal Festival barbecue and auction, which was a v. nice evening. D. made a good job of the live auction (I'd like to think his dad, who was an actual auctioneer, was smiling down from Heaven), and a decent amount was raised for Cathedral funds. Good craic, nicely-cooked steaks and good company - an enjoyable affair all round. [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Piglet, I read all your posts, and apart from feeling hungry (if not ravenous) I feel sadly envious that it must be so companionable and a bit like a warm blanket to have a spouse with whom you share the same beliefs, interests and activities (and who presumably enjoys eating your goodies!!)

[Smile]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Sarasa: I'm not sure about folk festivals, but I'm up for a pint somewhere if you can fit it in LeRoc. Now you're in the UK it'll be a shame if we don't meet up, Maybe an MK or or London meet sometime?
Yes I'd like that. What I fear a bit is that we'll set up a meet and in the end I won't be in England for that day (in which case of course you should just go ahead and have fun without me).

I'm not sure how to go about this. I'll definitely be in England until 3 July. A 'smaller' meet (in a pub or restaurant or so) during that time would be ok for me, if it is possible to organise it on such short notice.

For the slightly longer term, the beer festivals sound interesting and if I'm in England on 19 July I definitely want to try to go to Folk by the Oak. I hope I'll have more information on my travel schedule this week (but I don't guarantee it).

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When we first moved to this house, December 1997, I was paying about UKP30 a month for my not very wonderful internet connection - in the city it had been about UKP14 a month for an excellent cable connection but here is a small Indian village. Today I paid UKP3.50 for 28 days unlimited usage!

Phone calls have got a load cheaper as well, if I add in all my cheap SMS charges [1,000 national SMS for under a pound], etc. I pay possibly a fiver a month. I can phone UK for about 2 pence a minute.

I like the downward trend but wonder how long it can last.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Went to the Antiques Roadshow this morning, which was being filmed at Broughton Castle (near Banbury in North Oxfordshire). I hadn't planned to go and didn't have any antiques other than myself, but it was good fun looking around and seeing what other people had brought.
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Back home at last from The Wedding of the Century. It was a lovely day, happy and relaxed. Service at her Church followed by a vintage bus ride to the Castlefield Centre in Manchester. After a drizzly start the sun came out as we walked out of the Church and it stayed out all day.

Andy has broken with tradition and taken his wife's name - I approve!

He sounds very upper class now with the name Andrew Hargreaves-Smith [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I went to Milton Keynes museum this afternoon. Very nice: interesting exhibitions and enthusiastic guides. And they have a real TARDIS!

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The BBC Media Café has a real Tardis and a real Dalek - and usually some other photo-opportunity. Recent options have included: the bench from Albert Square with backdrop behind, a judges chair from The Voice, the Mastermind chair.

I did something evil to the Tardis at some point, but haven't played with the other options.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Last time I was at the Media Cafe they'd reduced the size of the place by half but with the same number of people who normally use it. There was nowhere to sit let alone find elbow room to take a photo!

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yeah, they do that occasionally - usually when they're running something else in one end of it. You've just been lucky not to come across it before.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When turning up for an interview at the BBC, many years ago, I was shown into a largely empty room with just a single black Dalek in the corner and asked to wait there.

Naturally I approached it and befriended it.

I don't suppose there are many people who've had this experience as part of their interview process.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Curiosity killed ...: The BBC Media Café has a real Tardis and a real Dalek
Yes, I should go there some day.

quote:
Curiosity killed ...: I did something evil to the Tardis at some point, but haven't played with the other options.
Nice!

quote:
Ariel: When turning up for an interview at the BBC, many years ago, I was shown into a largely empty room with just a single black Dalek in the corner and asked to wait there.

Naturally I approached it and befriended it.

I'm sure it was part of the test.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Back home at last from The Wedding of the Century. It was a lovely day, happy and relaxed. Service at her Church followed by a vintage bus ride to the Castlefield Centre in Manchester. After a drizzly start the sun came out as we walked out of the Church and it stayed out all day.

Andy has broken with tradition and taken his wife's name - I approve!

He sounds very upper class now with the name Andrew Hargreaves-Smith [Smile]

Congratulations to the happy couple, Boogie. Am very impressed you managed to stop the rain, in Manchester of all places!

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
The other thoughts I'm currently debating are Folk by the Oak and Copredy but only if I can discreetly find out someone I'd rather not meet was not going.

Tough, I'm going to Cropredy whatever. [Razz]

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Really not you, it's a real life local person I avoid. That's part of the draw of Copredy, meeting you, Celtic Knotweed and maybe daisydaisy, plus the music. This year the line up isn't convincing me that it's worth the dodging.

So instead, I'm currently dithering about helping at Wellies and Wristbands.

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Ship isn't real life? [Eek!] [Ultra confused]

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Hush! It's the only real life. The rest is an illusion.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
... a single black Dalek ... Naturally I approached it and befriended it.

How the hell do you befriend a Dalek??? [Eek!]

Patronal Festival done and dusted for another year; this morning we sang the Byrd Mass for Four Voices and a new piece written by the grandson of a former organist* of the Cathedral, and their entire clan seemed to be there to hear it. Fortunately they liked the way we sang it. [Big Grin] Evensong was just my sort of thing: Smith responses, Gibbons' Short Service and This is the record of John** (with solo piglet), which produced much Decanal Grinning™.

* In my experience, every cathedral has a Revered Former Organist™ whose presence is guaranteed to scare the living daylights out of the present incumbent.

** The record of John is pretty much de rigueur for the Patronal Festival, along with

On Jordan's Bank the Baptists cry
If I were a Baptist, so would I
They drink no beer, they have no fun
I'm glad that I'm an Anglican.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm so glad you re-posted that little ditty, Piglet - I've been trying to remember the third line for ever so long!

Things are more - shall we say - basic here today - we are waiting for 'Richard' to come and clear our drains, which appear to have become blocked again [Mad]

On the other hand, I'd rather be me than 'Richard' - I have insurance :smug: whereas on a wet Monday morning he has to clear our drains. If that's not very coherent, the fact that we've been to two, yes TWO, parties this weekend should explain it.

Mrs. S, waiting for 'Richard'

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's not just Cathedrals with Revered Former Organists it's parish churches too!

My first Good Friday in my current church I suddenly realised two hours into the Three Hours that my predecessor was hiding at the back. It was somewhat unnerving, especially as the vicar and I had made some decisions about music which could not have been done in RFO's day. (Nothing drastic, just not to RFO's taste.)

But not as unnerving as discovering afterwards that at least 12 of the congregation were members of a world renowned choir. I kind of knew one of our regular members of the church had connections to this choir but not enough that 3/4s of them would turn up for child's christening... It enhanced the singing no end, and I was grateful one of them came and page turned for my voluntary (as they'd requested a Bach piece) but I was so glad I didn't know until afterwards!!

Japes, a competent church services organist who knows her limitations!

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Again on a different level, our morning service yesterday was led by 'Trinity', a famous Dutch band who our organist persuaded to call in on their way home from a tour. I couldn't go, believe it or not, but it seems to have been quite amazing [Overused]

(in other news, the drains are now clear - 10 minutes' work and all is well [Yipee] )

Mrs. S, bewailing her bad timing

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not sure which side of the Pond this belongs on, but Eldest Son's American Football team won yesterday 42-41 against their deadliest divisional rivals. Three hours+ of tension, collisions (a few audible from the other side of the pitch) and errors, but in the end victory. Names withheld to protect many aching bodies; hope you're all OK this morning fellas.

It's days like that when you wish your kids took up something safer, like Rugby.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Shit.

I make a flippant comment about rugby and then I read this.

[Votive] RIP, and for his friends and family.

[ 22. June 2015, 12:02: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

That's rotten, SS - poor fella. RIP. [Votive]

When D. was organist in St. Magnus, the elderly ladies in the choir had a habit of saying "that's no' the way ****** (his predecessor but one and the RFO) did it". Whenever we're in Orkney on a Sunday, D. still gets invited to play, and one day, about 10 years after we'd left, one of the aforementioned elderly ladies said, "that's no' the way you used to do it".

He had finally Arrived. [Killing me]

[ 22. June 2015, 14:09: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

If anyone is interested, my planned trip in July has been postponed. I'll be in England for the whole of July, except the first weekend.

If some people have time for a meet, either on a beer/folk festival, or a smaller one at a pub/restaurant, it would be wonderful.

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hurrah.

How about keeping it really simple and doing a pub meet, somewhere near Euston/Kings X in London, one Saturday night in July. Maybe with a Drummond Street curry.

4th or 25th July work for me. Slight preference for 4th.

If we can get a proposed date we can start an All Saints thread to really get sorted.

(Folk meets, beer fest meets etc may also be arranged but that tends to take a bit more arranging, though no doubt someone will come and prove me wrong very shortly.)

--------------------

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

Am idiot. Just saw you said whole of July except the first weekend. Doh.

25th July any good?

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

LeRoc, I have booked my ticket to Folk by the Oak on 19 July.

25 July is possible - I'm going to Richard III in Mandarin in the afternoon, just because ... Do we start a meet thread or two?

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
25th July should be OK for me. Well it is at them moment.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I think it would be a good idea to open a thread for 25 July. The date is ok for me. So is Euston / Kings Cross. As you probably know, my train from MK arrives at Euston. Curry sounds lovely, I assume that they will have vegetarian curry.

I'll try to buy my ticket for Folk by the Oak. I'd appreciate some help: would it be a good idea to try to come from MK with public transport and go back on the same day? Or would it be better to try and find accommodation? Another option could be to rent a car for the day.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Lots of good veggie food available on Drummond Street! Sadly I cannot join you as it is a bit of a way.

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I may be able to join you on 25th July.

I don't think Hatfield is possible from MK by public transport, I've only ever been there by car. There are some good hotels in Hatfield but you may need to hire a car anyway.
I looked at the Folk on the Oak website and there's a link to look for a car share which looks a good idea to try.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... Sadly I cannot join you as it is a bit of a way.

You and me both, WW. And I love Indian food. [Frown]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Indian food is one of the big things I miss in Brazil. I can get Arab food on a stretch, but Indian food is difficult. I'm rather indulging in it now that I'm in the UK.

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

Right, have started a Meet thread. Now someone else go and post on it so I don't feel like Billy no mates. ;-)

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

According to a quick search, the quickest way to get to Hatfield House from Milton Keynes is:
  • train from MK to Watford (24 minutes, every 20 minutes, cost £10-14 one way),
  • 724 bus from Watford to Hatfield (every 30 minutes, takes 53 minutes, cost ~£4 single).
Total time 1 hour 17 minutes, distance 43 miles.

You could also come into Euston by train and go back out from Kings Cross St Pancras and that journey takes as long as mine trying to cover 25 miles - where the public transport options apparently take at least 1 hour 48 minutes, although most options are over 2 hours. The other thought is cycling over, and the suggested routes will equally take around 2 hours.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have started a diary blog (well, I started it on Jan 1st and added nothing!) so that you can see some wedding photos. It was the most relaxed day - we had fun and laughed right through. The reception was a hog roast and the best man's speech was the best I have ever heard - like going to an excellent comedy gig!

Andy and Nic had a 'mini-moon' just outside Coventry (half way home) at a country park hotel, their honeymoon is in September (Tahiti and California, very nice!). They are back at work today - down to earth with a bump!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
we're taking the kids (5.5 and nearly 2) to Northumberland for our holidays in just over a week's time.
We were in the same area 2 years ago, so have already done Alnwick gardens, beaches at Alnmouth & Beadnell/Seahouses and Heatherslaw light railway (but will probably go on that train again for little one) - any more tips ?

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Have never been that far north, so no tips from me, sorry...

Am contemplating a holiday in the near future, though. My first in two years and not sure where to go - I fancy something by the seaside, while the weather holds good.

Incidentally, has anyone spotted the Northern Lights this week - they were supposed to reach to at least central Britain but I still haven't managed to see them if they did.

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well I might have done. My wife and I were chatting until very late last night and we didn't go to bed till 2.30 pm. I thought I might just be able to catch a glimpse of the Lights, so I looked out of the window, due north. Our street lights go out at midnight, so I could see very well, although one neighbour did have a porch light on.

Looking due north there was a definite lightening in the lower part of the sky. I couldn't see the horizon itself because of houses. There were no shimmering colours or anything like that. I told my wife and wondered if it was just the beginning of dawn - but it was too early for that, and in the wrong place. It definitely wasn't street lights, as that side is open country.

So, yes, I think I saw the Northern Lights in Suffolk.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Coquet Island for birds - owned by the RSPB and a good day out.

Corbridge (Coria) roman town - remains of a garrison and town three miles south of Hadrian's wall.

Brinckburn Priory - beautiful church.

Any of Hadrian's wall - the little one won't appreciate much anyway, but there are plenty of sites where s/he can wander about and the slightly older one can roam about.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I have started a diary blog (well, I started it on Jan 1st and added nothing!) so that you can see some wedding photos. It was the most relaxed day - we had fun and laughed right through.
[Smile]

What a lovely, happy-looking wedding!

(I also enjoyed the updates on Gypsy.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I went to Northumberland in March this year - had previously been on the coastal side, this time I went to Kielder Water. Sounds like you're going to be Quite A Drive from there, but we went to two national trust places - Cragside and Wallington - which were both good days out. Cragside in particularly had an amazing playpark, and plenty of things to see - we were only there about four hours but could easily have spent the day there.

Ferijenet was less than 3 at the time, but also enjoyed stomping around Housesteads. Would have taken him to Lindisfarne, but just too far out of our way.

I believe that National Trust for Scotland membership (which grants access to NT places) is cheaper than the National Trust equivalent prices... and you could probably get your money's worth whilst you're there...

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

If you're near Alnwick, what about Berwick? Fun town walls to walk around and a Saturday market. There are otters in the River Tweed and seals out on the pier. The pier and the walls are part of a Lowry walk around the town, as Lowry took his summer holidays there.

--------------------

marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Adventures in the Marzipan house today... I got a strudel for pudding, put it in the oven to cook, got the oven lit, (we've not had a gas oven before so I'm not used to it yet). Then I go to phone my parents and ask Mr Marzipan to check the strudel some time later... He goes to check it, turns out the oven has put itself out and (since the oven doesn't have a cut off device), the gas supply has cut itself off at the meter... So we need to poke about with a torch by the meter to find the thingy which turns it on again. It happens that the gas meter is part way under a shrub which I haven't got around to pruning yet, so my hair ends up full bits of shrub... Better than having a house full of gas I suppose!

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

But .... you have missed out the important bit. Was the strudel saved? A nation awaits.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Well I might have done. My wife and I were chatting until very late last night and we didn't go to bed till 2.30 pm. I thought I might just be able to catch a glimpse of the Lights, so I looked out of the window, due north. Our street lights go out at midnight, so I could see very well, although one neighbour did have a porch light on.

Looking due north there was a definite lightening in the lower part of the sky. I couldn't see the horizon itself because of houses. There were no shimmering colours or anything like that. I told my wife and wondered if it was just the beginning of dawn - but it was too early for that, and in the wrong place. It definitely wasn't street lights, as that side is open country.

So, yes, I think I saw the Northern Lights in Suffolk.

Maybe. But of course, you're not all that far from Rendlesham Forest - England's very own Roswell... [Biased]
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  ...  58  59  60 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016