homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Various Islands in the North Atlantic (Page 32)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  ...  58  59  60 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Various Islands in the North Atlantic
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Indeed we're not - and I've in fact been to the very spot where the alleged UFO landed ... (FWIW I don't think that the incident was aliens, or a lighthouse, but an American cover-up of a Stealth plane in trouble, or something similar).

But last night's light wasn't in the Rendlesham direction - it was north, and Rendlesham is more to the east [Cool] .

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
North is, after all, the right direction for the Northern Lights. Actually, North is the right direction generally ... [Devil]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
North is lovely here now. I get early sun from my north easterly aspect.

In summer, there is nothing like a good old fashioned southerly buster to drop the temperature several degrees in a few minutes.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Weird experience the other day - I was walking to the village to post a letter to a friend in USA when a local guy cycled past, not someone I knew but obviously a Malayali, and said:

Bonjour, comment ça-va?

[That is your actual French for Hello, how are you?]

Loads of Malayalis work abroad so I don't why I was so shocked. It was pretty well accented French too. Most odd.

Yesterday there was a bit of a dearth of cheese at the deli counter in the hypermarket, delivery due sometime Saturday, so for the first time ever I bought some [British made] Monterey Jack and tried if for the first time about 40 minutes ago - interesting taste but I don't think it will ever be a favourite though I think it would be brilliant as an omelette filling. The other day Herself made me some steamed mushroom and parmesan momos - they were fab!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just ordered one of these. It's a system where I can practice my trumpet so that no-one else hears it, while I hear a very good sound on my head phones. It doesn't come cheap, but I'm very excited about it.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Indeed we're not - and I've in fact been to the very spot where the alleged UFO landed ... (FWIW I don't think that the incident was aliens, or a lighthouse, but an American cover-up of a Stealth plane in trouble, or something similar).

But last night's light wasn't in the Rendlesham direction - it was north, and Rendlesham is more to the east [Cool] .

They are gradually surrounding you.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
jugular
Voice of Treason
# 4174

- Posted      Profile for jugular     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So, is there usually a Greenbelt meet? I will now be speaking at Greenbelt and I would like to meet some shipmates. I haven't been particularly active on the ship in the last few years, but I am a very nice person on the whole all things considered more or less.

--------------------
We’ve got to act like a church that hasn’t already internalized the narrative of its own decline Ray Suarez

Posts: 2599 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:

No, they're not: no sign of The Light yesterday night.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jugular:
So, is there usually a Greenbelt meet? I will now be speaking at Greenbelt and I would like to meet some shipmates. I haven't been particularly active on the ship in the last few years, but I am a very nice person on the whole all things considered more or less.

All Australia knows jugs! And I met him and stayed with him in 2011. He eats vegemite, but you can't have everything. Give him a beer and he's your friend forever.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Some people have talked to me about Greenbelt on this thread. I'm not really sure if this would be my 'thing'. In any case, I'll be in Zimbabwe at the end of August.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

jugular
Voice of Treason
# 4174

- Posted      Profile for jugular     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
All Australia knows jugs!

Yeah, I'm kind of a big deal.

--------------------
We’ve got to act like a church that hasn’t already internalized the narrative of its own decline Ray Suarez

Posts: 2599 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nice lunch in a country pub for the boss' birthday. I'd pre-ordered the Pie of the Day, which is always a bit of a leap of faith, but turned out to be steak and ale - very pleasant. Washed down with a glass of chilled amber cider, which I'd been looking forward to all week - perfect on a warm sunny day and a good start to the weekend.

It's been a hectic week, and it's so nice to be able to be in at home this evening and just to unwind and know that I don't have to travel anywhere or get up early for two whole days.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Have a nice weekend, Ariel!

I have a question: what would be a cheapish shop to buy pans, plates, cutlery etc. in a place like Milton Keynes?

--------------------

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Have a nice weekend, Ariel!

I have a question: what would be a cheapish shop to buy pans, plates, cutlery etc. in a place like Milton Keynes?

Probably Wilko, Robert Dyas, Argos or one of the big supermarkets (Tesco, Sainsbury, Morrisons, Asda).

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
LeRoc - is there an Ikea in or near MK? They're pretty good for most of that sort of thing.

Summer still hasn't quite made it here - it didn't even get into double figures today, although the forecast for Sunday is 20° ... [Ultra confused]

Much quieter weekend than last ahead - apart from baking some French bread and finishing the Cadfael book I was reading, I've done bugger-all this afternoon and evening. Might make a paella or risotto tomorrow if the culinary muse is upon me.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Morning [Smile]

I have the great delights of the Annual Inspection at church today, so I'm nipping into town shortly to print out a set of photos that I was supposed to have gotten sorted after last year's inspection! Better late, etc.

There are now only 3 weeks of term left - I think right now I'm more in 'oh my goodness we have so much still to do' mode, than in countdown mode. As ever, where has the year gone?

--------------------
All I know is that you came and made beauty from my mess.

Posts: 180 | From: Just outside the M25 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Ann and Piglet thank you, it is sorted now.

--------------------

marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
But .... you have missed out the important bit. Was the strudel saved? A nation awaits.

Yes, and it was delicious!
Today in kitchen errors, I made a quiche in a springform tin and forgot to line the tin, thinking the pastry would hold in the runny egg... The pastry had a small hole in it... Most of the egg stayed inside the pastry though. It's for church lunch tomorrow, so we'll see what the end result is like

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by marzipan:
Today in kitchen errors,

Mine was a cake making disaster.
An attempt at a strawberry yoghurt loaf cake for visiting grandchildren was a complete flop. The recipe measured ingredients by volume, which is not what I am used to, and whatever it was I did wrong produced an object the size and weight of a housebrick. Luckily DiL had called in at a farmers market and bought two lovely cakes with her. The children couldn't tell they weren't granny's.
[Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I made this again today for lunch, and it really wasn't bad, accompanied by a glass of Pinot Grigio and a few slices of French bread.

Then a spot of light retail therapy which yielded a skirt which was reduced to a third of its original price, and may even convert this inveterate trouser-wearer (I usually find that skirts are just too much hassle compared to trousers).

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Unbelievably, I'm actually making spaghetti bolognese. I haven't made this in years and I don't normally cook. It's best described as "vintage" - some reduced-price mince, an elderly carrot and onion, some aging but still good garlic, and some leftover wine (when on earth did I last open a bottle?) No bacon or chicken livers but some chopped good-quality ham will have to do. The result should be good and will last for a few evenings.

It's been a hectic week so I've spent most of the weekend lazing around reading books, watching old films, and playing stupid games on my phone. I've got quite good at Minesweeper.

I've also downloaded a free Duolinguo app so I can keep up with learning Spanish on the commute, seems like a good thing so far.

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:

No, they're not: no sign of The Light yesterday night.
Then they are gradually and stealthily surrounding you. The truth is out there [Smile]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Unbelievably, I'm actually making spaghetti Bolognese ...

Spag. bog. and chilli con carne were the first things my mum taught me to cook; the recipes were similar, except the chilli had, well, chilli in it (and kidney beans).

It was a very basic recipe: no bacon or chicken livers, just minced beef, onion, garlic, green peppers, tomatoes and tomato puree and herbs, plus kidney beans and crushed chillies if appropriate.

It was a glorious day here today: 20°, sunny with a bit of a breeze and not humid. We had lunch in a restaurant down by the harbour, and had just a nice length of walk to and from where we parked the car.

I've probably said this before, but it was only after we moved here that I realised I'd missed being able to see a harbour. Belfast has one (obviously), but it's not really very visible unless you're actually going on a boat. We can see the one here from our house, and it's a lovely walk along the front on a nice day. It also has the advantage of being one of the few bits of St. John's that isn't vertical ... [Big Grin]

In other news, a froglet appears to have taken up residence in my throat; I would very much like it to go away. [Frown]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Froglets are unpleasant. I hope you despatch it before it grows in to anything larger.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Depends on the Froglet.

(These Froglets have won awards, apparently.)

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I frequently make Spaghetti Bolognese! Mr.N finds basic recipes, without garlic [Frown] suit his elderly digestion better. So it tends to be casseroles, lots of noodle and pasta dishes, and absolutely nothing that could possibly turn out to be a bit chewy, and no cakes or sugary puds (he's diabetic)

<sigh>

But I enjoy, vicariously, all the meals you talented Shippies make.

We were hoping for froglets in our garden this year, but two ducks came along and ate all the frogspawn in the Spring. [Frown]

Hope you get better soon, Piglet.

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

My spaghettis are vegetarian, so no Bolognese (is it still called Bolognese if you substitute the meat for something else?)

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

It is if it's made in Bologna (or by a resident thereof) ... But probably not, if made in Boulogne (anyway, that should be served with red, white and blue pasta).
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I was told that technically, a true Bolognese should have that essential grating of nutmeg in it, otherwise it's just a ragu. I forgot to add any to mine - not sure if it counts if I add it in after!
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Depends on the Froglet.

I could despatch that sort of Froglet in very short order - pass the cheese and crackers! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I was told that technically, a true Bolognese should have that essential grating of nutmeg in it, otherwise it's just a ragu. I forgot to add any to mine - not sure if it counts if I add it in after!

When I make pasta I drain it then add a knob of butter and grate nutmeg over it and stir before pouring on the sauce, whatever it may be.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would very much like to replace my piglet-esque froglet in the throat with Ariel's froglet, thank you very much. *splutter* *cough* *groan* *bleurgh*

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Well, alcohol is supposed to kill germs. The Froglet should be widely available at you-know-who's food halls.

(I wish I'd had one handy. It's taken nearly three hours to get home instead of one. Great start to the week.)

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, that's that. Visiting aunties and cousin are safely on a train to London after a week in Yorkshire. We went on a river cruise in York, Leeds Art Gallery, Wakefield Cathedral and quite a lot of time in Specsavers getting British glasses. Also the quintessential English experience of eating fish and chips in the rain.

It's fun playing tour guide, but tiring. [Snore]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My sister lives near Bologna (in fact, she attends the Diocese of Europe Anglican Church there, if anyone's ever passing and fancies a MW...) and it's just ragu there. I think only ever with tagliatelle though, not spaghetti. And an authentic one apparently does not have tinned tomatoes, just a squirt of tomato purée...

Personally, I prefer pasta con sagio e burro (butter and sage) when I'm in the vicinity. And my favourite pasta shape? Strozzapretti... Strangled priests.

Lemon drizzle is today's offerings in the ferijen kitchen. And, have you seen the forecast? I think even WW would feel at home this week..,

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mr. S makes our ragu for pasta in the slow cooker, according to a Carluccio recipe - mixed beef and pork mince, tomato puree, onion and carrot chopped finely (I think...) and no garlic at all! It is fabulous and because we make a snootful at a time, there's usually some in the freezer to make lasagne for Friday night comfort supper ... mmmm

Having said that, I think I may have to turn my paw to it this week as the Intrepid children and their partners are coming home to celebrate Mr. S's 65th birthday. [Yipee] He's only been retired 5 and a half years!

Mrs. S, fettling the slow cooker in readiness

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Have a great time!

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Ferijen:
My sister lives near Bologna (in fact, she attends the Diocese of Europe Anglican Church there, if anyone's ever passing and fancies a MW...) and it's just ragu there. I think only ever with tagliatelle though, not spaghetti. And an authentic one apparently does not have tinned tomatoes, just a squirt of tomato purée...

I never put tinned tomatoes (or mushrooms) in it; if you do it dilutes the flavour and adds extra liquid. I've always used tomato puree mixed with stock and wine and let the sauce cook for a couple of hours. It ain't the work of a moment but you can leave it to get on with it and the end result has a lot of flavour.

Looking forward to the warm weather we've been promised this week. I'm taking some time off specially to enjoy it, and going in search of gardens by rivers. That and an ice cream, and I'll be happy. Simple pleasures are the best!

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I use peeled tomatoes (put them in boiling water for a few seconds first).

Is it just me, or do the English talk a lot about food? [Smile]

I'm going camping for the weekend, wouldn't mind if the weather stayed like this.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

We do talk a lot about food on this thread, but generally, the British preoccupation is with the weather.

(And possibly the price of everything.)

[ 30. June 2015, 07:36: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm camping this weekend too - hoping for nice weather at least on Saturday! And hoping I can manage to put the big tent up with Ops 1&2 but no Mr B... [Help] It's just a shame that Young Pup is too young to come with us; I'm sure we'll get her in a tent once the summer holidays start, though.

I wouldn't mind it being a bit cooler on Sunday - I'm going to be in a baking competition, and buttercream does better in a not-too-hot kitchen! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm stuck in the pit of an essay of doom - I'd much rather be cooking or camping! Or sitting in the sun...

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

YM may V, but this is where I want to be...
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Going to be there in August again (Brazil).

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
YM may V, but this is where I want to be...

Just add some cocktails and a good book and that would be perfect

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... The Froglet should be widely available at you-know-who's food halls ...

Sadly, that's un fat lot de bon when the nearest branch of You Know Who's is about 2,000 miles away. [Frown]

There was a branch in St. John's until a year or two before we moved here, and despite it being one of their most successful overseas outlets, they closed it.

Now I want a prawn-and-mayonnaise sandwich ... **sigh**
quote:
... YM may V, but this is where I want to be ...

According to the reports I've heard, Platform 3's going to be just about as warm as the place in your picture. [Big Grin]

[ 30. June 2015, 15:57: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am currently blockaded in Dunkirk! I had originally bought a ticket to go from Calais to Dover, but bought a new one from Dunkirk when I saw that Calais was Closed. When I reached Dunkirk the Gendarmes were not allowing anyone to the port as that too was apparently closed. Although the website of DFDS Ferry lines don't agree - they are saying that passengers should proceed to the port. I'm not arguing with Gendarmes though...

So I found (thanks be to God) a cheap but very pleasant B&B with a kitchen et al, so I bought stuff in Netto for tea. Then I booked and paid for another ticket for tomorrow morning - I was in so much stress that I wasn't thinking straight. Instead of simply amending the ticket I had - just adding the extra cost - I bought a whole new ticket. Another £115 worth. Stupid bint. I think Mr FD (back home in the calm) is a teensy bit annoyed with me.

I am planning to rise at 3.30 to maake the port for 4.30 - 90 minutes before my 6.00 sailing. Hopefully I'll be up before the tyre burners! I have emailed DFDS asking if they'll refund the cost, but I'm not holding out much hope - after all, they are actually telling people to turn up for their sailings, despite Gendarmes not letting us past.

I keep telling myself it's only money, and that there are others in a much worse place than I am. But I am still raging at my stupidity at not amending my ticket!!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
According to the reports I've heard, Platform 3's going to be just about as warm as the place in your picture. [Big Grin]

Not "going to be" - is. However, it's not the same. Instead of the roar of the surf, it's the roar of First Great Western high-speed trains; instead of a hammock, it's a row of metal benches; instead of palm trees with coconuts, it's utility poles with tannoys. Grit we have a-plenty, though and the heat is oven-ous. My car says it's 86°F/30°C but I think it's more.

quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
I am currently blockaded in Dunkirk!

You know, I haven't heard anyone say that since 1940-something...

Wishing you good luck on your travels and hoping it gets sorted soon without further aggro. If this keeps up we may have to arrange a Dunkirk Rescue with lots of small boats for stranded travellers. Oh wait, I think that's been done.

Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

- Posted      Profile for Zoey   Email Zoey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello people. I am not around so much nowadays, but have a question I would like to ask UK people (hence asking here rather than the Heaven thread).

My current Energy Supplier is well-known for having appalling customer service and not knowing its arse from its elbow. After a long-running saga of them billing me incorrectly, I've finally got sufficiently fed up to request to switch supplier for both gas and electricity. One switch (electricity) will be happening on 6th July. The other switch (gas) would happen then, but current Energy Supplier has refused the switch on the basis that I have outstanding debits to pay on the account. I am 99.5% certain that current energy supplier has no idea how much in credit or debit with them I actually am. Currently my online account is showing that I owe them about £140. Last month, they sent me a cheque for about £430 (I have no idea why - they said it was "as promised" but I don't remember any such promise). I put the £430 cheque into my bank today and it's showing on my online bank statement as having been deposited. I almost feel like it's worth paying £140 just to be free of utterly incompetent current Energy Supplier and all the stress they cause me. However, what are the chances the £430 cheque will bounce? (If the £430 cheque goes through, I'm happy to pay them £140 and get rid of them. If the £430 cheque bounces, I'm inclined to argue over £95 I paid a few months ago which never got credited to my account and was part of the saga of incorrect billing.)

--------------------
Pay no mind, I'm doing fine, I'm breathing on my own.

Posts: 3095 | From: the penultimate stop? | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... we may have to arrange a Dunkirk Rescue with lots of small boats ...

I was just about to ask if the blockade was by a lot of little boats, then realised it was striking Frenchmen with matches ... [Eek!]

Poor Dormouse though - what a pain at the start of your holidays.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  ...  58  59  60 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016