homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Various Islands in the North Atlantic (Page 36)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  ...  58  59  60 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Various Islands in the North Atlantic
moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello [Smile] Gosh, it feels like ages since I've posted - but then such is life at the end of the school year. I always forget how manic it gets! Bit of a sad one this year as our headteacher of 11 years was retiring. At the Leaver's Assembly, our deputy head made a lovely speech that had a few of us reaching for the tissues. [Waterworks]

Still, it's all done now, and 6 weeks of summer stretches out invitingly.

--------------------
All I know is that you came and made beauty from my mess.

Posts: 180 | From: Just outside the M25 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for the good wishes. I feel better today, though I was very careful when I got out of bed!
I got to the party which was fun, though I didn't drink any of the alcohol on offer. The older you get the more booze there seems to be at parties, and the less of it gets drunk. I guess my friends will have stacks left over this morning.
Boat trip down the Thames and lunch at a pub is on the agenda for today.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Folk by the Oak is brilliant! We saw some good acts already, and the weather is great. I can also confirm that Curiosity hasn't killed me ... yet [Smile]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OI I resemble that remark.

Orkney act Gnoss probably needed a translation, they kept skipping into dialect in their spiel.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fun weekend - stopped off at a village scarecrow show, where various gardens, the local pub, church etc all had entries in their annual competition. Many were surprisingly imaginative and original, some were lifelike enough from a distance to be spooky.

I've also finally discovered how to get to the blue fields I've seen from a distance for months. I assumed they were flax, or possibly lavender, but they turned out to be borage. Full of bees: the hum of summer, clearly audible for some distance.

I had a drink in the garden of a village pub that dates back to the 1300s, before going to see the local church, which also dates from the same era. Behind it is a wheatfield that stretches for a couple of miles, where you can walk through to the next village; or turn right and see the Catholic church, which is actually the upper floor of a medieval barn.

All good - roll on next weekend!

Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've mainly been pottering around home this weekend although did go to church and to see a friend today who broke her ankle yesterday.

This might be a but heavy for this thread however... One of our neighbours came over on Friday, we've known her for ages, and after several glasses of wine, and I'm not sure where it came from, the bible came up and I said some thing about it being in different genres such as myth. She was amazed! She believes in evolution and thought all Christians saw Adam and Eve as literal. I said while some did most didn't really, and believes in all sorts of other things are really variable even in the same church. She also thought that it was all about being good, and you don't need to be Christian to do that. It really made me wonder how non Christians look at us.

(No disrespect to the creationists and literalists on board, I was just surprised to find it was assumed this was my belief).

Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Glad to hear you're feeling OK, Sarasa. Fainting can be an odd thing: I've only properly fainted once, and it was during a fitting for my wedding dress. My mum was making it, and I was standing as still as possible while she and my sister pinned the skirt bit to the bodice bit. Without any warning, I started to feel a bit peculiar, and before I'd said "I feel a bit peculiar" I was in a heap on the floor and my dad was helping me into a chair and plying me with hot, sweet tea ...

My mum spent the rest of my engagement imagining me keeling over at the altar, and whenever she did a dress-fitting she kept stopping and saying "are you all right? would you like to sit down?" [Killing me]

Due to various factors, there were only five of us (plus D.) in the choir at Evensong tonight, but we really didn't do at all badly: we sang what was planned (Weelkes' Short Service and View me, Lord by Richard Lloyd) and were rewarded not only with Decanal Grinning™, but effusive praise from the president of the Altar Guild.

D. is very proud that we are one of only four choirs in the whole of Canada who do two fully choral services every Sunday, and I reckon that our effort tonight proved his pride isn't misplaced. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our kitchen refit proceeds apace - we now have all the cupboards and doors fitted, our friend is coming to do the tiling tonight, then we need the plumber to come back and plumb in the dishwasher, and the electricians to hook up the cooker, hob and microwave and fix the under-cupboard lighting in place.

After 24 years we finally have decent lighting in there (it's very dark as we look out on a belt of woodland which is trying to move into our garden). We've tried all sorts of light fittings but now have six LED downlighters and it's beautifully light in there [Yipee]

Mrs. S, who will now have to keep the kitchen very clean!

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That was the first time I'd properly fainted, Piglet. An interesting experience, though not one I'm inclined to wish to repeat. I felt like a computer that has has been unplugged while still on.
I do like the reports of your days out Ariel, that sounds lvely, specially the borage fields.
We went by boat down the Thames yesterday to a pub for lunch. Food was much better than we thought it might be, and we've decided that it will be a destination for a cold winter walk as vegetarian toad in the hole (which is what my husband had) might be a lovely thing, was not quite the dish for a warm summer day.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Folk by the Oak was amazing and it was glorious, bright sunshine for the entire day. The final act was Bellowhead, which was why I went, as they have announced that they are splitting next year and have embarked on various farewell tours. The line up also included the Unthanks, Nancy Kerr, Keston Cobblers' Club, Lady Maisery, Moore Moss Rutter and lots of new acts. There was also Mary Chapin Carpenter, but we were in the food queues for that one.

I gave up wandering around trying to spot some random axe murderer off the internet and decided that the easy way of finding anyone was fix myself (in the beer queue, nearest decent queue with a purpose) and text, which worked.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I should have told you that before. You can normally find me near the beer queue [Smile]

I especially liked the Unthanks, Keston Cobblers' Club and some of the smaller acts in the Acorn tent. A very pleasant festival indeed.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
I gave up wandering around trying to spot some random axe murderer off the internet

I didn't realise North East Quine was there...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just seen a headline on the BBC news website which made me think twice: "Deep fried Mars Bar banner is banned". How can you ban a banner? Surely a banner is the person who should be doing the banning, etc.? (The article it links to is perfectly sensible!)
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
...it's very dark as we look out on a belt of woodland which is trying to move into our garden.

Sounds very Macbeth-like.

[Eek!]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarasa:
... vegetarian toad in the hole ...

Where do they find their vegetarian toads? [Big Grin]

I'll get my coat ...

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Baptist Trainfan: I've just seen a headline on the BBC news website which made me think twice: "Deep fried Mars Bar banner is banned". How can you ban a banner? Surely a banner is the person who should be doing the banning, etc.? (The article it links to is perfectly sensible!)
I think this should be on the Scottish thread? [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by Sarasa:
... vegetarian toad in the hole ...

Where do they find their vegetarian toads? [Big Grin]
In holes, apparently.

[ 20. July 2015, 13:49: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Went to see the stinky flower in the Botanic Gardens today, it was still in bloom but is no longer smelly. Today's probably it's last day before it collapses as it only lasts about 2 days. I then had a lovely stroll through the trees, taking photos, and a long walk back home.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
Baptist Trainfan: I've just seen a headline on the BBC news website which made me think twice: "Deep fried Mars Bar banner is banned". How can you ban a banner? Surely a banner is the person who should be doing the banning, etc.? (The article it links to is perfectly sensible!)
I think this should be on the Scottish thread? [Smile]
That reminds me. It's bothered me for some time that we have a British thread and a Scottish thread. Did we wrongly pre-empt last year's referendum?

If we were to do an England only thread, what should we we call it?
  • Cricket and skylarks
  • From Cornwall to Cumbria
  • Queuing for fish n' chips

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nae, laddie. It's just because the Scawts feel overwhelmed on the British board, them being such a tichy, tiny part o' th' Isles.

Mind the tabers! [Razz]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
If we were to do an England only thread, what should we we call it?

England Fred, innit?
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

PS apologies to anyone I was following on Twitter. My account was taken over by someone else this morning and I haven't been able to change all the details back, so I've deactivated it. It's the second time I've been hacked, so enough is enough. I just hope you didn't get any rude messages!
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
...it's very dark as we look out on a belt of woodland which is trying to move into our garden.

Sounds very Macbeth-like.

[Eek!]

Yes, we residents of Castle Dunsinane feel that way too!

Mrs. S, looking round for her broadsword, or alternatively a chainsaw

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

As a Scot married to an Englishman, I enjoy both the Scottish and British threads.

While I admit to not understanding cricket*, I can drink tea and eat CAKE with the best of you. [Smile]

Talking of such things, the Choir's week in the Crypt tea-room got off to a reasonably busy start yesterday. I seem to have been reprieved for today, ( [Yipee] ) but being the good little piglet that I am, I'll use the time to make carrot-loaves and bring them in tomorrow.

* Now I come to think of it, I don't understand golf either ... [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm not sure that any non-golfer actually understands it.

...but talking of golf it reminds me to give you some advance warning - my bestest female friend and co-counselling partner of 30+ years [and a golf widow in her own right] will be 60 next Lady Day and has asked if I can get over to her party so it is possible I will be in UK for two or three weeks over the end of March/beginning of April. Nothing firm yet but a bit of advance warning. If it happens I rather suspect there will be a Shipmeet or two.

Decision soon as the earlier I book the better chance of a cheap[er] flight!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I always look forward to hearing about Ariel's weekends. [Smile]

Mr Nen and I have been away for a few days and are now looking forward to having Nenlet2 home as he's coming back for his MA graduation. I may have treated myself to a new dress in honour of the occasion. [Big Grin]

Nen - who doesn't understand golf either.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Folk by the Oak was amazing and it was glorious, bright sunshine for the entire day. The final act was Bellowhead, which was why I went, as they have announced that they are splitting next year and have embarked on various farewell tours. The line up also included the Unthanks, Nancy Kerr, Keston Cobblers' Club, Lady Maisery, Moore Moss Rutter and lots of new acts. There was also Mary Chapin Carpenter, but we were in the food queues for that one.

Curiosity, that sounds wonderful. I only came upon Bellowhead a few years ago and haven't manged to get to any of their concerts in South Wales. Then a friend told me they were splitting up! One of their farewell concerts is at the St David's Hall in Cardiff in April, and I've got tickets.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
St. Gwladys: One of their farewell concerts is at the St David's Hall in Cardiff in April, and I've got tickets.
That's great! Be prepared to jump around a bit [Smile]

Bellowhead was one of the bands I already knew a bit (I've had a subscription to Songlines magazine for some time), and they didn't disappoint live!

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
I always look forward to hearing about Ariel's weekends. [Smile]

Bless you
[Axe murder]

We know how to enjoy ourselves in these here rural parts - there's quite a lot going on if you look for it. It's been a good summer so far, what with the pig racing, scarecrow festival, Morris dancing and all, and it ain't over yet. [Big Grin]

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

There aren't a lot of Bellowhead tour tickets left, lots of sold out venues already, including Cardiff.

I have booked the Chepstow Castle concert at the end of August, partly because it's within reasonable distance of St Briavel's Castle, which has been on my wish list of youth hostels to visit since I learned of its existence and I haven't been able to arrange staying there so far. There were spare beds the night before the concert.

[ 21. July 2015, 22:11: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

That's quite some youth hostel!

Carrot loaves have been made; I suspect we might be quite busy in the tea-room tomorrow as it's forecast to p*ss with rain, which usually brings people scuttling in out of the weather.

Then in the evening D. and I are going to do some restaurant research at Mallard Cottage*, about which we've been curious for some time. Will report back. [Smile]

* I tried to post a link; they do have a web-site, but it wasn't being very responsive.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is this the page you were looking for, Piglet?

Sites with just a page marker and a sign to ENTER SITE are annoying to me, but it looks as if it could be what you were after.

I had a poke around. It is not an informative site. Click on menu and it says it changes daily. Brunch title suggests brunch is served daily. Not much in the way of detail.

[ 22. July 2015, 06:52: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Is this the page you were looking for, Piglet?

Sites with just a page marker and a sign to ENTER SITE are annoying to me, but it looks as if it could be what you were after. [...]

Direct link without page marker here. [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I have lived in countries that are notorious for their bureaucracy. Honduras, Mozambique ... In all of these countries, I've been able to open a bank account within a day. Yes, I had to wait in line for a couple of hours, but I got it done.

Do you know how long it took me, as an EU citizen, to open a bank account in the United Kingdom? TWO AND A HALF MONTHS.

You need a National Insurance Number to get a proof of address. You need proof of address to get a National Insurance Number ... It's totally ridiculous.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Way back when I moved here sort of permanently the banks were really difficult with me so I eventually went to the local office of The Reserve Bank of India - the equivalent of the Bank of England - and a really nice guy told me to just tell the bank of my choice to call him and it would be sorted - I did and it was in about 5 minutes!

Living in a multicultural society has some great side effects - today Herself made some wonderful special Muslim fried cakes - not greasy at all and just delicious!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sounds horribly familiar, LeRoc. I remember our lab's Icelandic PhD student. The bank insisted on sending his details to his address in Reykjavik, despite the fact that he now lived in Oxford.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

D. didn't have any trouble opening a bank account here (or adding me to it), but the purchase of our house nearly fell through because they take such an age to accept foreign transfers. The sale of our old house had gone through and the price deposited in our bank account in Belfast. D. arranged electronic transfer of the money for deposit for our new house to our account here, and wrote a cheque for same, which bounced because the bank here said it would take 30 days for the transfer to come through.

30 days??? He told them he could have written to the Belfast bank and asked them to post the money in cash (by snail-mail) and it would have got here sooner. In the end I think he had the Belfast bank phone the bank here to confirm that the transfer was instantaneous ...

Meanwhile, the estate agent had assumed we were no longer interested, and sold the house to someone else. We were obviously meant to have the house though, because the other potential buyer had even more complicated financial arrangements (they couldn't transfer money from Hong Kong or somewhere) and had to withdraw their offer, so the agent came back to us.

What a faff. [Roll Eyes]

[ 22. July 2015, 13:53: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Okay, I need to understand something [Smile]

This afternoon I bought some stuff at the supermarket, including a bottle of wine. When the check-out person was passing my things, by the time she got to the bottle of wine, she called her manager and asked him: "is this OK?"

I asked her: "is something wrong with the wine?" She answered: "it's because I'm under age. That's why I need to ask before I pass a bottle of wine."

I thought the important thing is that the *client* needs to be over age, it would never occur to me that this applied to the person selling the wine to me.

--------------------

Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yep this happens a lot. I've just had a quick google and they can sell it but the sale needs to be authorised by a person over 18.
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:

I thought the important thing is that the *client* needs to be over age, it would never occur to me that this applied to the person selling the wine to me.

The age at which one may sell (or serve, and they are often different) alcohol varies a lot by locality. It's certainly not uncommon for alcohol sales to be restricted to people older than whatever the minimum age to work as a supermarket cashier is - whenever I'm buying something alcoholic, I avoid the queue with the young-looking cashier in case he/she is underage and has to summon a supervisor (which takes time...)

In the UK, sales of alcohol need to be authorized by someone over 18.

[ 22. July 2015, 21:33: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
The bank insisted on sending his details to his address in Reykjavik, despite the fact that he now lived in Oxford.

I have a UK bank account, and live in the US. I have, on several occasions, informed my bank of my correct postal address. Each time, they get it right for a few months, and then they delete the state and ZIP code, so they start sending mail to My City, USA. It still manages to get to me, somehow, but late. I haven't yet been able to work out what it is that they do that triggers this, or how to stop it from happening.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
In the UK, sales of alcohol need to be authorized by someone over 18.

It's worth noting that this is also true for self-service checkouts. If you try and scan alcohol, you'll need a member of staff to come over and verify that your over 18. Annoying if you're after a quick getaway.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Even if you're 62, and don't have a picture in your attic? [Biased]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

If you are buying alcohol at the self-service checkouts, it triggers a signal that brings the cashier over, eventually. After they log in they have a choice of two buttons to press: Customer is obviously over 18 or ID checked.

I had met that requirement that if a cashier is under age they can't put alcohol through without being checked. It's rare an under 18 is put on the self-checkouts. I came across it when I tried to go through a manned checkout to speed up checking and found that one. We still had to have the roaming cashier come over.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Even if you're 62, and don't have a picture in your attic? [Biased]

Totally. Occasionally there are news articles about indignant pensioners who have been told at the checkout they can't buy any booze if they can't prove their age there and then.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

The original reason D. grew a beard (when he was a student) was that he was fed up of being asked his age in pubs, especially as he'd taken a year out and was in fact older than most of his friends. Much later, in his late 40s and early 50s, he started being offered the OAP rate in restaurants ... [Snigger]

We had an excellent meal at Mallard Cottage last night (thanks for re-posting that link, Loth and WJ - for some reason my computer wasn't co-operating).

We started with a green salad for him and confit of duck for me, and shared them: they went together beautifully and the meat was falling off the bones.

Then D. had a pork thing: slices of tenderloin and braised "coppa" - a sort of smoky, salty shredded pork - served with greens, spätzle and chopped veggies, and I had a spaghetti dish with roasted courgettes, tomatoes and Parmesan cheese, both of which were v. yummy. D. finished off with a rhubarb galette, which was nicely not-too-sweet (and I say that as someone who doesn't particularly like rhubarb).

With a bottle of South African Chenin Blanc (kept properly chilled - plus 25 points) it came to about $140 (£70), so it's not for every day (or even every week), but they also do Sunday brunch, which will need to be investigated. Very glad we went - we really couldn't fault them on anything. [Smile]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Chocoholic: Yep this happens a lot. I've just had a quick google and they can sell it but the sale needs to be authorised by a person over 18.
quote:
Leorning Cniht: In the UK, sales of alcohol need to be authorized by someone over 18.
I've learned something new [Smile] Thank you.

quote:
ArachnidinElmet: It's worth noting that this is also true for self-service checkouts. If you try and scan alcohol, you'll need a member of staff to come over and verify that your over 18. Annoying if you're after a quick getaway.
I can see the logic behind that. My first experience with self-service checkouts was when I arrived in the UK two months ago. My buyings included a couple of cans of beer (I can see a pattern here). It's already a bit strange to do self-service checkout for the first time, and when the big light came on I half expected helicopters to come hovering over the supermarket with black-clothed ninjas abseiling to arrest me [Paranoid]

PS The wine was very good [Smile]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The trials of having a guilty conscience! [Razz]

Lazy day today as I have a mild sort of summer cold thing which I am mildly medicating and otherwise trying to ignore though I did have both a morning and an afternoon nap today!

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Welease Woderwick: The trials of having a guilty conscience! [Razz]
You can't imagine half of it [Smile]

--------------------

Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

Ah self service checkouts. I think there was a hell thread, or at least a portion of TICTH, dedicated to them.

"Unrecognised item in bagging area" being a common problem. Saying that I used one in Sweden which didn't make you put the just scanned item there before accepting the next one and double scanned stuff.... And as it was all in Swedish I had no idea what to do, luckily I was with a fluent friend who knew how tricky these particular ones were.

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have just enjoyed a day off work, after we were evacuated yesterday for the building to be deep cleaned.

No-one knows the cause of the V&D that has affected so many of the workforce.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  ...  58  59  60 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016