homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Various Islands in the North Atlantic (Page 37)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  ...  58  59  60 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Various Islands in the North Atlantic
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
No-one knows the cause of the V&D that has affected so many of the workforce.

Thank God for ampersands! [Snigger]

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
Mr Nen and I have been away for a few days and are now looking forward to having Nenlet2 home as he's coming back for his MA graduation. I may have treated myself to a new dress in honour of the occasion. [Big Grin]

Nen - who doesn't understand golf either.

Nen - welcome back [Axe murder] and congratulations! Well done to Nenlet2 [Yipee]

I have till Friday 13th of May - all being well - to lose enough weight to be prepared to try on a new dress for Miss S's MA graduation [Yipee]

Mrs. S, facing a task unfinished

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
[QB]
Mr Nen and I have been away for a few days and are now looking forward to having Nenlet2 home as he's coming back for his MA graduation. I may have treated myself to a new dress in honour of the occasion.

Marvellous - enjoy every proud minute!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Procrastination are us. I really should be either job hunting seriously or sorting out the w*rk I have promised to finish off, but instead I am planning a holiday at the end of August.

I handed in my notice last week† with agreement that I would get things finished off and tidy for my successors. There are several people taking over the myriad aspects of my role, not all in place yet, with a handover date and availability the week after as I am damn certain one day is not going to be enough. I deliberately gave myself a week off at the end of this and am busy ensuring I am unavailable and away.

So far I'm booked into St Briavel's Castle on 26 August and have tickets for Bellowhead at Chepstow Castle* on 27 August; I need to book a bed in Chepstow that night, roll on pay day. The plan is to take the bike; I booked a space on the train down, but mucked up booking the train back (all £18), so I am now dithering about staying a bit longer and exploring. The options are cycling from Chepstow to Bath or Cardiff on the Friday, staying overnight and maybe a Shipmeet on the Friday night, 28 August. Or if I go to Cardiff, a meet at St Fagan's on Saturday 29 August.

I initially looked at coming back into the Cotswolds but the hostels at Slimbridge and Stroud are fully booked and the next one over is Stow-on-the-Wold, which looks lovely, but the cycle sites calculate a 7 hour ride. The plan wasn't forced fitness training, but gentle poddling and exploring. 70 miles is more than I want to plan.

Would anyone be up for a Shipmeet in Bath on Friday 28 August? Or Cardiff on Friday 28 August? Or St Fagan's on Saturday 29 August.

I promise if there's any interest I'll set up a meet thread.

† As I said at the leaving do on Wednesday (everyone else is off on holiday now), I should be panicking about the lack of work in September, but all I feel is relief.
* There are still tickets available for the Chepstow Castle gig if anyone is interested.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A reasonably lazy start to the school holidays for me - a few bits of sewing, including a quilt for my new (well, 6 months old) niece.

I'm definitely struggling to slow down and take it easy, hopefully over the next few weeks I'll be able to relax a bit more. Even when I don't have work to think about, I find plenty of other things to be anxious about...

--------------------
All I know is that you came and made beauty from my mess.

Posts: 180 | From: Just outside the M25 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Curiosity, we'd have loved to have met you again at St. Fagans, but we're heading to the Isle of Wight that day and have a ferry to catch from Lymington. I don't know if Lord P is available - I'll let him know. Hope you enjoy your break in South Wales [Biased]

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our first day of the holidays (yesterday) was greeted with the local internet going down from 10am to nearly 11pm. My 14 year old happily got on with designing a computer game of his own but my 11 year old seemed to think it was a personal failure on my part and kept asking me why it hadn't come back yet [Roll Eyes] Of course, this wasn't really the first day of the hols, as my youngest's school had flooded the previous Thursday night during the storm and he's been home ever since. This could be a long summer.
On a cheerier note, this week I have managed to make a new Tudor gown for me, a Tudor bonnet for the youngest and a peasant waistcoat for my eldest, so at least my Tudoring plans are working well. My costume for my WW1 Red Cross nurse was finished last week and I managed to track some old fashioned starch down today so my apron will be able to stand up all by myself.
moonfruit, I quite fancy some quilting but it might have to wait another week or so while I catch up with my other sewing stuff.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
HA, your seemingly boundless energy leaves me feeling - what's the word I'm looking for? Oh yes - knackered. [Big Grin]

The Choir's week in the Tea Room finished today, so a crowd of us went to a local Chinese eatery to celebrate. It was actually two crowds, as there were sixteen of us, at two tables, but eight of them didn't want to do the sharing-and-using-the-lazy-susie thing, and seemed to be content with chicken-balls (or something like that).

The rest of us did do the sharing thing, and had a really excellent feed; we seemed to have made just the right balance of choices between meat, fowl, seafood and veggies, and there was barely a scrap left.

[ 25. July 2015, 23:53: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fun day at the office yesterday with a lot of laughs, even if it did rain nonstop for hours. (We did all get a lot done as well.) Here are the worst shoes ever, for your delectation.

Got the shopping over and done with by 8am this morning and came home with some freshly cooked and still hot sausages of serious length, which I hadn't planned to buy, but they were there, and a good start to a sunny Saturday morning. Now to decide what to do with the rest of the weekend...

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
...Here are the worst shoes ever, for your delectation...

Do they do them in men's sizes?

Some of those are pretty grotesque.

Waiting in for The Aluminium Man to come and give me a quote for building a cupboard inside my built in wardrobe but thinking it may be a step too far cash-wise - but if I don't ask I won't know.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We've had a really lovely day in Wells today, including a wander around the Bishop's Palace Gardens, which are well worth a visit. There's an extremely good kitchenware shop just on the square (the sort which stocks things you never realised you needed) and so I now possess a waffle iron. All I need now is a sensible recipe with no fancy ingredients and the time to experiment!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Waffle irons are fab, we have an old fashioned style electric one which you fill and flip over. I bought it as a Christmas present for my husband as he used to go on about the ones they had in American hotel breakfast rooms (he spent some of his childhood living in the US). I make courgette fritters in it.

piglet, I'm obviously in a manic phase, I'm always more productive then [Smile]

I made Jammy Dodgers and ninjabread today, though my ninjas are more like Sumo wrestlers.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I nearly made courgette fritters this very evening but went for grating the courgettes into pancake batter instead, adding chorizo, Serrano ham and some grated cheese, and then serving them Dutch style with a drizzle of golden syrup. I recommend this.

Nice afternoon fruit-picking at a nearby farm. They were quite pessimistic about the end-of-season strawberries, and admittedly the strawberry fields were almost unrecognizable with the quantity of weeds and wildflowers, but I still came away with a large punnet full, about a pound and a half in weight. Mostly they were small, but intensely sweet. I stopped off on the way home to get some vanilla ice cream to go with them, and in a bowl with dark cherries on top, it was a perfect summer afternoon snack.

I may make strawberry tarts with what's left if I can get round to making creme patisserie. It used to be possible to buy this ready-made, but it seems to have disappeared from the shelves now.

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

That all sounds delicious! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... Waiting in for The Aluminium Man ...

Any relation of this bloke?

Ariel, some of those shoes are really scary - I can't even look at the ones with the sticking-out little toes ... [Eek!]

I've had a lazy-ish, indoor sort of day. Summer still seems to be bypassing us - it didn't get above 10° today - so, having taken some chicken stock out of the freezer last night, I embarked on a spot of therapeutic soup-making - do help yourselves.

Soup-making shouldn't really be therapeutic in July, but there you are. Don't get me wrong - I'd really rather have 10° than 25°, especially if it's sticky and humid - but the chronic drizzle, fog and lack of sunshine loses its appeal after a while. What's it been like over in Blighty - have you had any summer apart from the heatwave during Wimbledon?

eta: you can tell this computer comes from Newfoundland - it puts a red wiggly line under the word "heatwave".
[Killing me]

[ 26. July 2015, 00:14: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Heatwave? That must be it. No wriggly red line here under the word but perhaps that is because another icy wind is forecast from the south in a few hours.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No, our aluminium man is actually quite cute - when he turns up!

Actually I'm glad he didn't turn up as I found the perfect solution to the cupboard in a cupboard when browsing an online shopping site last night and when work resumes tomorrow it will be winging its way south - all for under 20 quid including shipping!

Your little reminder may push me to watching The Wizard of Oz this afternoon - it's been ages!

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
...but the chronic drizzle, fog and lack of sunshine loses its appeal after a while...

Are the Dementors breeding in Newfoundland this year?

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We didn't have drizzle on Friday, we had a deluge, widespread flooding and a month's rain in a day. I got soaked walking over the Millennium Bridge before going to see Lisa Wolpe's Alchemy of Gender at the Rose Playhouse, a fascinating one woman show in an amazing location. The Rose Playhouse is really the viewing platform for the archaeological remains of the Rose Theatre, found in 1989 when a new office block was being built on the South Bank and preserved in the basement. There are chairs arranged around three sides of the platform and the performers play to the backdrop of the shadowy void of history.

Saturday started drizzly and grey but was sunny by evening. I wimped out of Richard III in Mandarin at the Globe before the LeRoc meet because I didn't want to be soaked twice in two days*. I have enjoyed several of the Globe-to-Globe productions because they come with very different takes on the plays. The King Lear from the company from Belarus gave his daughters earth as his wealth, for example.

* I had pneumonia last summer, I really don't want to write off another August. I have too much to do.

{coding for Lisa Wolpe link corrected - WW}

[ 26. July 2015, 09:21: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was going to ask you about the Richard III last night, CK, but forgot. I'm really glad I made the most of yesterday, which appears to be a brief respite between days of heavy rain. As well as the Ship Meet last night, we went for a walk along the Thames int he morning. Which reminds me, I'm goigt o post a thread about organising a London walk and see if we can actually get one organised this time....

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

A walk would be good. As a thought, although probably too short notice, there is a beer festival at the local steam railway next weekend. What's not to like, beer, steam trains and folk music? It's a nice walk out to North Weald from Epping tube station, and there's an alternative walking route back via The Moletrap, or buses to and from Epping tube station.

I tend to take photos of the trains rather than ride on them.

Welease Woderick - that link is down as the Rose Theatre site is down. I checked it worked in preview post and when I put the post up it showed blue. I was going to link to the Rose Theatre site or history as my first assumption was that they'd taken down that link as the production finished yesterday, but none of the links I used are now working.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

It took me a little while to find a working link, perhaps the techies are having a weekend off.

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm sorry for those for whom Friday was a washout, but you've had plenty of hot dry days so far this summer, and no doubt there will be more summery days to come.
For me and my garden Friday was unalloyed joy! [Yipee]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Sunday is a washout as well. I've had to cram my going-out-at-the-weekend into Saturday, when I was still tired out from the week. And what's more, it's distinctly chilly today. Give me back my summer. With a little beach umbrella and a cherry on a stick.
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wearing socks, a jumper plus a cardigan and all windows are shut. Quite cosy inside watching the rain, just as long as it warms up soon.
So grateful it stayed dry and mild for our meet yesterday.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So here it's been a reasonably nice weekend (a couple of rain showers rather than constant drizzle) after a lovely week - my sister was visiting and she always brings the sunshine!
While my sister and niece were here we had lots of adventures - we went to the zoo, on a bear hunt in the local woods and on a gruffalo hunt in a different woods! It's good being near wild ish places again (not that wild as the bits of woods are in between housing estates but big enough for adventures!)

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
marzipan: on a bear hunt in the local woods
How many did you shoot? [Eek!] (and what's a gruffalo?)

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

The Gruffalo is a character from some of Julia Donaldson's books. There is more than one book about the Gruffalo, there's also The Gruffalo's Child and a load of spin offs. The books are aimed at pre-schoolers. And you can go to the musical in London this summer (I've been, about 18 months ago).

--------------------

marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Disclaimer: no bears or gruffalos were harmed in the course of our adventures.
We just scared them away (I don't think there's been any bears in Ireland for some time now but nothing to do with me)

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by marzipan:
... I don't think there's been any bears in Ireland for some time now but nothing to do with me ...

It may have had something to do with us; when we left we took with us quite a collection of Small Bears, which has grown exponentially since we came to Newfoundland ... [Hot and Hormonal]

Another summer Sunday, another nice Tudor evensong, still no sunshine, BUT ...

[fanfare]

there is some sunshine and temperatures in the upper teens forecast for next week. Perhaps summer was just postponed, rather than cancelled. [Smile]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Ah well, it'll soon be snowing!

[Two face]

Sincerely I hope you have a good, if slightly delayed, summer - neither too hot nor too cold nor too wet.

Himself and Herself are taking Brother-in-law off to the eye hospital today to see how much improvement, if any, the second round of laser treatment made to his vision.

[Votive]

I, meanwhile, intend [sort of but no promises] to blitz this office - it sorely needs it!

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lots of drizzle here, but Twiglet still needs to 'work' so we went and sat in a bus stop to watch the traffic go by.

Amazing how many people passing say "ahhh, beautiful!" I always reply "thank you, the dog's not bad either" [Biased]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Spent part of the weekend in a 'sensory zone' in Banbury Museum. It mostly consisted of squeezing into small spaces, in partial darkness while a lot of swirly music played around your head.

My nephew rather enjoyed it, though.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I nearly went to that but wasn't sure whether it really intended mostly for children, and whether it would be that interesting. I'm still undecided.

Meanwhile I'm fed up with one of the neighbours who decided to have a loud phone conversation on his mobile while leaning out of the window, and woke me up (two floors up) at a quarter past midnight. Even with earplugs he was still audible. I kept thinking he'd finish soon, surely, but unbelievably, it was HALF PAST THREE in the morning before he finally ended it. And I had to get up for work two hours later.

What on earth do you find to say on the phone for three whole hours at that time of night? Don't you get cramp in your arm, and earache, if nothing else?

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
While you're up, and higher up, get the upper hand by accidentally and very copiously watering your non-existent flowers in front of your window?

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
End of the choral year yesterday, so the vestry is piled high with music in need of sorting and putting away.

The music 'amnesty' every year produces stuff that we thought gone for ever: so far this year we have had handed in a communion setting not sung for at least 16 years, 4 copies of Ascribe unto the Lord (last sung 2012), 3 copies of As the deer pants (never in my time, binned) and 2 Wessex Psalters (we use the dreadful Parish Psalter).

No more rehearsals until September [Yipee]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

oh yes, Boogie - we met a lady in the park who was puppy walking for Irish Guide Dogs! The puppy was not doing what she was told though - she kept trying to eat the grass and wouldnt sit. I think she was quite young (the puppy I mean - the lady was a normal age)

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ariel – our apartment faces out over the street, and we get this all the time during hot weather. My current plan involves a water pistol. It’s quite a distance to the neighbours opposite so I’m thinking I may need one of those special long range supersoaker things. Alternatively, a water bomb and a catapult. Or a catapult with which to launch some kind of projectile to which will be attached a note saying SHUT UP. [Snigger]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

As our road is on a more-or-less direct line up from George Street, we occasionally find that people stop in front of our house to have a "domestic". The language can be quite ... colourful. [Eek!]

The forecast warm-up seems to be happening; at 8:30 this morning it was already warmer than yesterday's maximum, and it seems likely to continue.

No actual sunshine yet, but we live in hope ... [Cool]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
We get this all the time during hot weather.

Please - what is this "hot weather" of which you speak? Here our supposedly glorious English summer is giving us 18 degrees and thick cloud; the last two days have been down to 14 degrees with heavy rain. Retailers will soon be selling thermals instead of barbecues.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

I added a quilt to our bed last night as the summer duvet just isn't warm enough.
A pleasant day here, I went to a yoga class for 1 1/2 hours and have been doing some handsewing (cravat for second son's Edwardian gear) and finished checking his clothing as our World War One event is next weekend. Just having quick browse and a cup of tea before starting a Tudor shift for my eldest (the Tudor event is in one month).

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

18° will be quite a luxury, assuming we get it (we turned the heater in our bedroom on the other night, as the overnight low was 6°).

Having said that, the (really rather nice) view from the corridor outside my office is at least visible today - it's been notable for its absence for most of the summer. [Disappointed]

According to Environment Canada, it's now 15° and rising. [Yipee]

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
We get this all the time during hot weather.

Please - what is this "hot weather" of which you speak? Here our supposedly glorious English summer is giving us 18 degrees and thick cloud; the last two days have been down to 14 degrees with heavy rain. Retailers will soon be selling thermals instead of barbecues.
Actually, it's only low 20s here at the minute. But TBH this makes a refreshing change after the temperatures in the mid-high 30s that we had for most of July. Uncomfortable and exhausting. Think it's heating up again at the end of the week.

(Also in a couple of weeks I shall be heading to foie gras land where it's basically 35° all summer. It has its upside but it's kind of tiring.)

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Apparently the high today was 17°, which is rapidly becoming my favourite temperature, and the sun came out!!! [Yipee]

We went down to Chafe's Landing for a v. late lunch (made even later by the half-hour wait we had for a table). We had to park a little way away, but it was a lovely walk in the sunshine, and the wait was well worth it: v. good onion rings with soured cream shared as a starter; D's fish-and-chips were about the best he's ever had over here; and my salt-cod fish-cakes with a very pretty mixed salad just hit the spot. With a glass of wine for me and soft drink for him, it came to $45 (about £22).

As they say in Northern Ireland, you couldn't beat it with a big stick.

[ 28. July 2015, 02:03: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Online shopping sites - Aaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh!!

There's this specialist photographic stuff site that sells important things like dessicants to keep cameras humidity free - important when the humidity here, in monsoon, can often top 80% and get to the high eighties quite easily, not good for the internal workings of cameras.

But then on their front page they also show other stuff, like amazing rainbow pattern camera straps. I spent much of yesterday telling myself I didn't need one but this morning I gave in and have ordered one.

[Hot and Hormonal]

But it is only a fiver, including P&P.

Temptation is just so damned tempting!

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think you can be forgiven this time. C'mon, who can resist a rainbow pattern camera strap? ( [Confused] )

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Morning [Smile] I'm currently awaiting the arrival of my mother; we're going to the Harry Potter Experience thing up in Watford. I'm really looking forward to it - I was flicking through the website last night, getting all excited at the cool stuff to see.

As I've been texting to my sister, though, any parental visit is also a great chance to find out which bit of the flat I forgot to clean properly...

--------------------
All I know is that you came and made beauty from my mess.

Posts: 180 | From: Just outside the M25 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I sometimes thought my mother [may she rest in peace] arrived with a duster already in hand. I wonder if she checks up on the Heavenly Housekeeping.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I think you can be forgiven this time. C'mon, who can resist a rainbow pattern camera strap? ( [Confused] )

I don't know if they still use them but I remember Stuart Townend and Graham Kendrick with rainbow-striped guitar straps.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

Meanwhile we shall soon be laying down our dusters completely. Today husband en rouge is holding an audition (couple of people to interview) for the gig of official cleaning lady to château en rouge [Yipee]

Everyone’s a winner: you can declare domestic employees on your income tax form to get a tax break on account of how you’re providing someone with a job and contributing to the economy. It also encourages people to declare cleaners etc. for Social Security purposes. Net result: we don’t have to clean our own apartment or do our own ironing (I hate the latter job with a particular passion) and we pay less taxes. What’s not to like?

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

That sounds like a very sensible arrangement, La Vie - good luck with finding a suitable applicant.

I confess I don't mind the odd bit of ironing, although it does tend to come in fits and starts when the mood takes me (not very often). My sister hates it enough that she has a lady who comes to her house, collects the clean but crumpled laundry, irons it and brings it back.

Hoovering and changing the bed-linen would be the first things I'd want to contract-out, if we could afford a cleaning-lady (which we can't).

I understand from friends who employ cleaning-ladies that there's a good chance you'll run about with a duster like something demented the day before she's due, so that she won't be horrified at the state of your house ... [Snigger]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  ...  58  59  60 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016