homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Various Islands in the North Atlantic (Page 39)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  ...  58  59  60 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Various Islands in the North Atlantic
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Back in 2009 we went off to Singapore and Malaysia and we stayed at a place that had the most amazing breakfast buffet - simply amazing and free!! We didn't need lunch after that but I seem to remember that we still indulged - well, we were on holiday and we quite like food.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We felt like that about the Stakis in the Isle of Man - we found that having taken advantage of the breakfast we didn't want anything more than a cup of tea and a wee bun at lunchtime, leaving us perfectly ready to research the excellent restaurants on the island for dinner. [Big Grin]

I think in fairness this place was basically a pub (the sort with pool tables and TVs showing the Sports Network) that thought, "wouldn't it be a good idea to offer Sunday brunch" but hadn't really thought it through. There used to be a couple of hotels here that did quite elaborate brunch buffets - everything from cut fruit to smoked salmon and from eggs Benedict to roast beef, but one closed and the other was prohibitively expensive.

It looks as if it's going to be another scorcher here - it's already 21° at 11:15 in the morning, and forecast to go up to 27° but feeling more like 32 ... [Help]

Oh well, it's been a long time coming.

[ 03. August 2015, 13:56: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But Piglet...you're in Canada. Where black pudding, kedgeree, haggis, kippered herring, fried bread, mushrooms with breakfast and all the other possibilities you mentioned (and some you did not) are simply not part of "breakfast" and probably haven't been (except for a handful of expat Anglos in the 1930s) for many, many decades if at all.

Your expectations are almost as out of place as they would be in France. (Where at least the croissants tbat seem now to be part of a full restaurant breakfast in much of Canada would be moderately edible.)

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So what would the "Full Canadian Breakfast" consist of then?
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In a hotel buffet -- pretty much what Piglet described she got. Eggs (usually just scrambled, but sometimes to order), one or more of bacon, ham and sausage, "home fries" (in quotes because the only thing common to the various styles is that they start out as potato), toast, muffins, possible croissants or danish pastries. Fruit salad (hopefully fresh), fruit juice, dry cereal, usually porridge. Sometimes sliced mild cheddar cheese. If bagels, cream cheese as well. Increasingly -- do it yourself waffles, with "maple syrup" (rarely authentic, but one can live in hope). Coffee, tea.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We used to have a Don Cherry's Sports Grill here, who did a really good brunch buffet. It included all the usual suspects (bacon, sausage, home-fries) but also did little bacon-wrapped steaks (of which you could have as many as you liked [Big Grin] ) which had been seared and kept warm, and were then finished off to your liking, and omelettes made to order with optional onions, peppers and tomatoes.

eta: It was almost enough to make me not miss the kedgeree ... [Biased]

[ 04. August 2015, 00:51: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A good kedgeree is a delight!

There is something wonderful in waking to the sound of rain on the palm fronds and banana leaves - a wonderfully soothing susurration. When the rain is full pelt it becomes quite thunderous but today it is just right - but the humidity is way over 80%!

[Eek!]

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Fredegund
Shipmate
# 17952

- Posted      Profile for Fredegund   Email Fredegund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Must make kedgeree - it's been too long.
Wonder whether you can serve it with redcurrants; I'm running out of things to do with them. There's only so much gin one can make without attracting attention.

--------------------
Pax et bonum

Posts: 117 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Sadly, the basic ingredient for a good kedgeree (smoked haddock) can't be had for love or money here. You'd think you'd be able to get smoked cod, but the preferred method of cod preservation round these parts is salting, which makes lovely fish-cakes, but is un fat lot de bon for kedgeree.

Fredegund, what about making redcurrant jelly?

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I used to see smoked cod a lot, but that was before the cod-fishing ban. Haven't seen it at all recently.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Haddock is mainly found on the European side of the Atlantic, which is why less in Canada. Kedgeree originated as an Anglo-Indian dish in Victorian times, based on a dish of rice and lentils. It is extremely likely the smoked haddock was added into the recipe on its travels, probably to use up left over ingredients at breakfast in the same creative vein as bubble and squeak, fish cakes and potato cakes (and my father's fried Christmas pudding) in the days before refrigeration.

I tend to create a bastardised version using smoked mackerel and cut down on the butter and cream as the mackerel is oily enough.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Salmon can be used in Kedgeree as well, I believe but am not sure whether it is smoked salmon or not. With southern Gujarati Kichdi fish of some sort is often an accompaniment, as it would be here where seafood is so plentiful.

--------------------

Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For me a really good breakfast has to be salmon and scrambled eggs. That is just the best!

Mind you, a few years ago in Austria my OH and I loved the fresh bread rolls with a smidgen of cheese to start the day.

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Salmon can be used in Kedgeree as well ...

I did one once with smoked salmon as well as smoked haddock, and it was rather nice, in an indulgent sort of way.

In other news, summer still seems to be here (for now anyway), the broken staircase is nearly mended and a gift voucher for a CHOCOLATE emporium arrived in the post as a Hostly Offering (thank you Uncle Pete!).

[Yipee]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Self-indulgence is always good fun, although I'm told that it shouldn't be overdone.

I'm not sure why, but there you are.

I've had another of those rather tiresome sleepless nights with a bunged up nose and so on - I've been up and finished an online story and soon I shall head out to the ATM as I didn't go yesterday when I had the chance.

And for those who scoffed at my rainbow camera strap: it arrived yesterday and is fab!

The morning call to prayer from the seven mosques in night time earshot of here has just happened so I assume the local temple will be starting up any minute. It is the Ramayana month so prayer and readings are more extensive than usual - and it has indeed just started.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
[...] The morning call to prayer from the seven mosques in night time earshot of here has just happened [...]

I read that as 'the seven mosquitoes'!* Brave WW! And to think that I'm quite annoyed by the noise, and imminent danger of being ectoparasited on, of a single one of those, thank you very much! [Eek!]

On the other hand, wasn't there a film once, 'Seven mosques for seven brothers', about a religious family feud expressed in dance? But maybe I'm mistaken...

* ETA: At least they pray before eating!

[ 05. August 2015, 03:04: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Out here, because we live on top of a slight rise and there is no standing water nearby, we are reasonably mosquito free. When we lived in The Big City, most of which is built on reclaimed wetland [swamp!], they were a menace; clouds of the little blighters! Great fun with an electric mosquito bat! They make a very satisfying little CRACK! as they explode. Here we just switch on the vapour thingies and in 20 minutes there are a few dead bodies on the floor; mosquito bodies, I haven't got around to murdering humans - yet!

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
WW, what are these vapour thingies thou speakest of?

Glad that your mozzie-to-volume-of-air ratio seems so satisfactory, and that you're no longer swamped by the evil creatures!

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

It's a little plug-in doohickey thingummybob with a little bottle with capillary tubes leading up into the plug-in bit which is warmed so getting the stuff in the bottle to vapourise. Here is an example.

Airwick™ sell a similar thing in UK with fragrances rather than bug zapping.

Anyway the vapour is fatal to mozzies - no idea what it does to people!

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But you have to be careful. A little nightlight comes on even if the dang thing is empty. Then you hear a voice wailing in the dusk for a new thingamabob. It seems to work on all flying insects, but has absolutely no effect on cockroaches. Not surprising, because homo sapiens just pipped cockroaches at the post to become the earth's dominant species.

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
Salmon can be used in Kedgeree as well ...

I did one once with smoked salmon as well as smoked haddock, and it was rather nice, in an indulgent sort of way.

Smoked trout works as well.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
... homo sapiens just pipped cockroaches at the post to become the earth's dominant species.

We're fooling ourselves. Beetles in general and cockroaches in particular exploit us. Cockroaches arrived about 300 million years ago and if I were a betting man and able to collect the winnings, I'll bet they outlive mankind.

Bring back DDT I say, and be more careful using it.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It depends on where you are and what time of year it is. In Scotland, in August, the dominant life-form is the midgie. [Frown]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
It depends on where you are and what time of year it is. In Scotland, in August, the dominant life-form is the midgie. [Frown]

Really? I thought it was Mashie Niblickus Americanus.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

[Killing me]

It being Royal St. John's Regatta day, our Wednesday-during-the-summer restaurant research was somewhat complicated by many places being either (a) closed; or (b) full to bursting. We ended up at Oliver's (I would post a link but our links don't like apostrophes - Google "Oliver's Restaurant St. John's). They were on v. good form (although the service was a wee bit slow); we shared an excellent house salad to start, and then D. had chicken in a balsamic sauce and I had duck with blueberry sauce, both of which came with risotto (and mine with veggies).

I think we'll go back. [Smile]

[ 06. August 2015, 02:14: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Is it really Thursday already? Where does the time go?

On other matters: why do [some] ten-year-olds wander so slowly? Neighbour boy was spotted this morning meandering his way back from getting milk for the morning cup of tea and I swear that if he walked any slower he'd have been going backwards!

To us he is a delightful little lad - but to his mother?!?! Most mornings our breakfast is accompanied by the soft lilt of his mother bellowing at him to get a move on! His brother is 6 or 7 and a complete contrast - everything is exciting and everything has to be done NOW!

--------------------

Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Or as the mother of a friend of mine has it, WW

"If they moved any slower, they'd rust".

Drives me bananas in adults here - usually due to people being glued to their phones as they mosey along, thinking they're multitasking.

Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Dear sweet little P. He does so enjoy his morning strolls. I often think he slows down just to get his amma in a state. He certainly moves fast enough when there is food waved in front of his nose.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mum used to say of me that I had two speeds "slow" and "stop".

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I have just had a chat with a friend of mine from Merseyside and he works in retail - he was a bit fed up because he got a roasting this week from one of the company directors because he had asked for more stock!

Excuse me but I thought retail was about selling and that asking for more stock because you were running low was a good thing as it showed you were being successful. He and I were wondering what we were missing in this scenario.

But then management was just as crazy when I was working as well.

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Haven't popped in here all week as I was exhausted after the re-enactment weekend and then had to catch up on my masters studies. Kentwell was fabulous, lots of messing around and stimulating questions from visitors and I learnt a lot too. I've just found out I'm a herbalist for the Tudor re-enactment in 3 weeks so I'm suddenly having to switch from 6 months of swotting up on ww1 field surgery to a crash course in Tudor medicine (I started the history of medicine as part of my history degree so not too out of my depth).

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've had a productive day, post-break with Inlaws. Got some washing done & dried on the line, watched a good bit of the cricket, and (most excitingly) spoken to two mobile phone providers and got a good deal on Op 1's upgrade, and a fantastic deal on upgrading my iPhone and getting new phones for Mr B and Op 2! Very happy with that for a day's work, and will be even happier once the new phone arrives tomorrow [Yipee]

O yes, and took both dogs for a short walk in the fields. Harvest is getting into full swing it seems, so the long ways through the fields won't be too easy the next few weeks. But it's lovely to see the seasonal changes [Smile]

[ 06. August 2015, 17:34: Message edited by: Beethoven ]

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Well, it's been quite an exciting week chez Piglet ...

Not only did I gain a great-nephew (as mentioned up-thread), but I had a FB message from D's niece this evening to say that she and her boyfriend have got engaged. Excuse to buy a new outfit! [Yipee]

And (**fanfare**) the stairs are now mended [Yipee] (although the solidity of the new bit does rather throw into focus the creakiness of the old [Paranoid] ).

Next step: getting the top floor bathroom sorted ... [Eek!]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's a bright, sunny day today and the whole sky is blue! But the air is cool and there is an autumnal feel to it (!)

I am off to puppy class with Twiglet and we are picking up her brother, Rossi, and his puppy walker on the way. They happen to live just up the road. Should be fun!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
He was a bit fed up because he got a roasting this week from one of the company directors because he had asked for more stock!

But the stock would have been useful to make the gravy ... [Devil]
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Excuse me but I thought retail was about selling and that asking for more stock because you were running low was a good thing as it showed you were being successful. He and I were wondering what we were missing in this scenario.

but running out of stock means you've potentially been selling it to just anyone! Where's the exclusivity ?
How can you make the "have"s feel better than the "have not"s if everyone's got one ?

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
WW said:
quote:
I have just had a chat with a friend of mine from Merseyside and he works in retail - he was a bit fed up because he got a roasting this week from one of the company directors because he had asked for more stock!

Some years ago when my Other Half was a teenager, he and his mother discovered a really nice brand of biscuits in their local supermarket. After a few weeks of biscuit heaven, those biscuits disappeared from the shelves and they asked the supermarket when they were getting some more in.

The reply was "Oh, we've stopped stocking those. They sold out too quickly and made the shelves look untidy."

[Ultra confused] [Ultra confused]

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My desk is looking tidier than at any point in at least the last year and I have scythed my way through my inbox and got it down to a mere 16 items. It can only mean one thing…

Holidays [Yipee]

moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hurrah for holidays, la vie en rouge [Smile]

I'm currently sat at home waiting for local anaesthetic to wear off from a few fillings I had done this morning. I don't really want to eat until I can feel properly what I'm doing again, so I hope that my mouth de-numbs swiftly!

--------------------
All I know is that you came and made beauty from my mess.

Posts: 180 | From: Just outside the M25 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Chicken soup is the answer moonfruit [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

While soup is undoubtedly the answer to most of the world's ills, I'm not sure it's the answer to Moonfruit's one. I remember once trying to eat soup with a post-dentistry-numb mouth, and the soup went everywhere ... [Hot and Hormonal]
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:
... he got a roasting this week from one of the company directors because he had asked for more stock!

But the stock would have been useful to make the gravy ...
I'll get your coat for you, shall I, BT? [Devil]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Went for a walk at lunchtime. The wheatfields are just starting to be harvested now and a huge great harvesting machine was slowly making its inexorable way across this lovely expanse of pale gold wheat, leaving clouds of dust and small headless spikes of straw in its wake. A little grey rabbit suddenly shot out of the remaining wheat and bounded across the stubble to the blackberry bushes at the edge of the field, before I could reach for a camera. Lovely classic moment.

It's also, apparently, Flying Ant Day. The walk back to the office was full of them. Oxford was full of them swirling around the station, and when I was getting off the train, a horde descended on the passengers like a small plague. I want to open the windows of my flat but that's going to have to wait until the ants settle down. I suppose the warm weather's brought them out.

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had flying ants here this afternoon too, horrid things.
They swarmed last year, on this very day, I noted in my diary. Strange.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another day, another food festival. Huddersfield today, always a highlight of my summer calendar. I had fish, jolof rice and fried plantain accompanied by a hibiscus slushie from a Senegalese/Cote d'Ivoirian stall. Blummin' lovely.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
Another day, another food festival. Huddersfield today, always a highlight of my summer calendar. I had fish, jolof rice and fried plantain accompanied by a hibiscus slushie from a Senegalese/Cote d'Ivoirian stall. Blummin' lovely.

Sounds great!

(You live near me - we should have a Yorkshire Ship meet [Smile] )

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
...(You live near me - we should have a Yorkshire Ship meet [Smile] )

...at a Food Festival?

But Boogie, you'd have to cross The Great Divide!!

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Jollof rice, I tried making that last year, or rather, an adapted version. The amount of chillies you're supposed to put in it isn't for the faint-hearted. It was nice though not suitable for serving to people who are used to the full-strength version.

(I used to love chillies, then for some reason they suddenly started leaving a metallic aftertaste that blanked out everything else. And now the heat gets to me as well, so these days I'm a lot less curry-minded than I used to be. Ah well - old age.)

Lovely day today - the weather's probably not going to hold but let's enjoy it while we've got it.

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The jolof rice wasn't too hot, presumably to appeal to the masses, but the cook had a ready jar of fiery chilli sauce. They were offering it with a warning "be careful, it's very hot. Yes, it's very hot. Yes, very hot". and then popped half a teaspoon on the side of the dish.

Boogie, a Yorkshire shipmeet sounds good. And I've got a feeling there's a food festival in Sheffield in September. Hmm...

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How about starting a meet thread to gauge interest. Particularly if you are considering a food festival in September. That is almost upon us!

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Mostly cloudy but nice day today - the odd outbreak of sunshine, and not too hot for comfort. Did a spot of Retail Therapy (which included starting to spend the chocolate voucher*) while D. played for a wedding, and it was really rather nice sitting on a bench outside the shopping-centre watching the world go by while waiting for him to come and pick me up.

* and no, I haven't eaten all the chocolate yet. [Angel]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  ...  58  59  60 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016