homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Various Islands in the North Atlantic (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  58  59  60 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Various Islands in the North Atlantic
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can't bear the thought or the sight of creme eggs. Now offer me a caramel egg and I wouldn't resist!

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
All this talk of creme eggs is making me hungry! But surely everyone knows that eggs come in sixes and twelves not fives! (The other news being that they've changed the boxes of size you used to be able to get, to five in a box)

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Changing the topic, I wonder if, since this thread apparently includes Newfoundland, it would also, by default, include Prince Edward Island and Cape Breton, not to mention Iles de la Madeleine?

Pete, cheerfully sending back bits of Canada.

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How about Iceland and Saint Pierre & Michelon? [Smile]

I suspect that Newfoundland gets in, not just for geographical accuracy (one can hardly deny it's an Island in the North Atlantic) but, dare I say it, for my dual loyalty.*

That and the fact that we're always talking about the weather ... [Big Grin]

* which I hope will become dual citizenship one day.

PS Pete, how was your trip across the planet?

[ 13. January 2015, 00:46: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by marzipan:
All this talk of creme eggs is making me hungry! But surely everyone knows that eggs come in sixes and twelves not fives! (The other news being that they've changed the boxes of size you used to be able to get, to five in a box)

Blame metrication.

Five is a stupid number to put in a box, because you're always going to have one over to rattle around unless you either put in padding to fill the gap, which will look obvious, or change the shape of the box, which is extra expense with repackaging. They could have gone for four and made them slightly bigger i.e. to weigh the same as five, though perhaps it might have complicated the pricing a bit.

[ 13. January 2015, 04:52: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can't bear creme eggs - or anything with milk chocolate in or on!

But we should definitely include Newfoundland (would love to go there one day) and Iceland, and any other odd islands hanging around.

Any Faroese out there?

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Back from foie gras land where I spent the weekend holed up among the ducks far away from all the excitement in Paris.

We flew out of Orly where it was surprisingly quiet – although if we’d left a bit later on, I think we would have a lot of trouble because they closed down the Boulevard Périphérique (the ring road that goes round the outside of the city) and I don’t know if we’d have been able to get there.

We had to go for a pointless fifteen-minute meeting which the right-wing foie gras land Town Hall imposes on all foreigners to make sure you’re not getting married just to get a French passport. Yes really [Eek!] OTOH, the sun was shining and we made the most of it to go and see the florist, who I am reassured to discover is lovely, and (IMO of far more interest to the fine folks of this thread) The Caterer™.

So here it is: the most keenly awaited culinary announcement of the year… <trumpet fanfare> …Ladies and gentlemen, I invite you to affix your virtual napkins as I give you… <drumroll>… The Menu™

Apéritif: Champagne and hot and cold canapés

Entrée: Duo of foie gras (I mean, of course there’s foie gras. This is the South-West. We’ll have a revolution on our hands if there isn’t [Biased] ), fruit chutney, toast and mesclun salad.

Meat: Veal steak with white vermouth sauce, parcel of seasonal vegetables and new potatoes

Cheese: Assortment of Roquefort, Cantal and Brie.

Dessert: Champagne Gourmand. This is based on café gourmand which is a popular confection consisting of several miniature desserts and a cup of coffee. A while back we came across a brasserie which has a version replacing the coffee with Champagne, which in our opinion turns it from very nice into flippin’ amazing. Not sure what all of the desserts are going to be, but we have made it clear that if the caterer doesn’t include her moelleux au pain d’épices (a gingerbread flavoured cake with a gooey centre which we tried in her restaurant), we aren’t signing the contract. It is the most delicious thing ever.

Coffee

The knees-up is being knees-upped in a vineyard. Because it’s out of season, the nice man has given us 40% off his price and thrown in the wine for free. So with the exception of the Champagne, the wine is Château Shindig all the way (a sweet white for the foie gras and red for the meat and cheese).

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just excuse me while I drool, LVER. It sounds wonderful!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
... and thrown in the wine for free ...

Now you're talking!

That all sounds utterly divine, La Vie; glad to hear you've got everything sorted.

Now, do you need an organist?*

* who will obviously need a page-turner [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
LVER, that sounds amazing!
On a very different tack, we're having our first snow of the year. Darllenwr has been outside and says it's very wet stuff, but it's starting to cover the car. The forcast says heavy snow all night. I'm so glad I don't have to drive to work in Merthyr tomorrow. There are definite advantages to early retirement.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lovely food and free wine too, I'll book the train tickets [Big Grin]

We're having a bit of a gourmet evening here too. I've adapted Rick Stein's Cambodian fried fish in garlic and ginger (I've steamed some Tilapia fillets over the coconut rice as a nod to health instead of frying) and turned his fried aloo matar samosas into baked filo parcels. I'm currently downing a gin and tonic whilst waiting for it to be ready.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A delicious menu! and especially the Roquefort.

Cold night here - came out of the supermarket to find the car's windscreen half covered in melting snow. Can't be bothered to cook dinner, so I'm just finishing off the rest of the lobster bisque and some bread and cheese with sundried tomatoes. Sometimes all you want is just soup and a sandwich.

marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here we've had snowy showers (plus some hail) today. I spotted a girl on my way home trying to remove snow from her car with a can of de icer... I think a scraper might have been more effective.
I'm hoping the snow will have dispersed by Thursday when I have my driving test. (Eek)

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The menu sounds lovely LVER - and one can never have too much champagne.

When I eventually got round to marrying (there comes a time when a girl's most attractive feature is her pension plan), the reception venue was a friend's back yard, and the food run up the day before BUT we had a case of vintage champagne (and white and red of course). People still enquire wistfully whether we're going to do it again.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by marzipan:
...I'm hoping the snow will have dispersed by Thursday when I have my driving test. (Eek)

Good Luck, Marzipan. Everything crossed for better weather on Thursday.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No organist, piglet, although there will be a grand piano [Big Grin] *

Heavenly Anarchist, you're better off flying. Paris to foie gras land takes 7 or 8 hours on the train. It's a big rip off because the TGV only goes as far as Bordeaux and then from Bordeaux to Toulouse it goes down to the normal speed, and then you still have to get another train... It is the journey from hell and I hate it with all of my heart [Ultra confused] .

*Played principally by fiancé en rouge's Dad, who is a retired concert pianist. If everything works out, someone else is going to play it to accompany my cello teacher, who is going to play Elgar's Salut d'Amour in honour of Ingerland.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
No organist, piglet, although there will be a grand piano ...

Heretick! [Big Grin]

We've still got most of the snow we got last Thursday, plus a few extra inches that arrived at the weekend, and a light splat from this morning. As the temperature's currently -12° and falling, it's not likely to be going anywhere .. [Frown]

Good luck with your driving test, Marzipan! [Votive]

--------------------

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We've got snow here this morning, so I hope you don't live in these parts, Marzipan! Good luck with your driving test!

Its also a lovely sunny morning, but icy cold. Best viewed from indoors, I think!

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's sunny here [Confused] I'm about to go for a nice walk. we seldom ever get snow these days.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Don't knock it, HA - when you get it in January and it doesn't go away until April, the prospect of "no snow" is very appealing. [Big Grin]

It's a beautiful day here (apart from the snow) - clear blue skies, bright sunshine and the temperature hovering around -10°, but feeling more like -20 with the wind-chill.

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

I was chatting to a Polish friend on Monday about the lack of snow here. Even 10 years ago I remember heavy snow for building snowmen and tobogganing. now it is rare and only lasts a day or so when it does come.
She loves the mild winters here, compared with Poland [Smile]

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, my father, who was born in St.Petersburg and survived two post-revolution winters when they were burning books to try and keep warm, used to say that - leaving aside consideration of repressive regimes - he would rather spend a winter in Peter than a winter in Lancashire. The damp means the cold gets into your bones, was his theory.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good luck, Marzipan! [Axe murder]

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
... he would rather spend a winter in Peter than a winter in Lancashire. The damp means the cold gets into your bones, was his theory.

Yes.

When I get home from a warm, dry country everything feels damp, even wet - indoors as well. Towels, sheets, everything damp damp damp!

(It's a kind of cold humidity - brrrrrrr!)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

That's very true: in Labrador and out west on the Prairies they get far more impressive minus numbers: the other day in Labrador City it was -45°C, but feeling like -54 with the wind-chill, but as I understand it, it's a much drier cold than we have here on the island.

I've heard people say the inverse about places like Egypt and Tunisia: it may be 40°C, but when it's a dry heat, it's much easier to cope with.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I've heard people say the inverse about places like Egypt and Tunisia: it may be 40°C, but when it's a dry heat, it's much easier to cope with.

When it's dry heat your sweat evaporates and cools you.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:

When it's dry heat your sweat evaporates and cools you.

Moo

I've been in Corralejo on the island of Fuerteventura when the temperature was somewhere around 38-40C, and I loved it. I felt very energised. By contrast, I'm here now in damp, not-too-cold Lancashire and it's horrid.

Darwin was wrong. Some of us are descended from iguanas.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another survivor of Lancashire weather here. When you can see Darwen tower, its about to rain and all that. Its so different in the rest of the country (since leaving Lancashire I've been in the north east, and various bits of the south).

Anyway, I've just booked a few a few days holiday at keilder water, in march. Clearly the weather doesn't scare me. Any suggestions (apart from appropriate clothing and star gazing stuff) welcomed.

Anyone made cake recently?

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's a plate of my Mum's fresh black pasty (like a cut-and-come-again eccles cake). Please help yourself; just the thing to keep out the cold.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I've got some cherry CAKE in the freezer, and my Better Half also pointed out today that we have four eggs left, which is the number required* for making some more (and the ones in the freezer will keep, whereas the eggs won't last for ever.

* Four shall be the number of the eggs. Three eggs shalt thou not count, excepting that thou then proceed to four. Five is RIGHT OUT.

Sorry - had a bit of a Monty Python moment there ... [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ferijen:
Any suggestions (apart from appropriate clothing and star gazing stuff) welcomed.

Blasting round the trails on a mountain bike would see me happy there for a week [Big Grin]

I made a proper parkin, like a brick made from oats and black treacle. Better than expensive yoghurt for clearing your backlog!

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

No cake here as I'm dieting [Waterworks] but it is our Friday Feast day so I do have some exciting food to cook. We are having a Caribbean feast courtesy of a recipe and spices purchased from the lucky dip at The Spicery; Trinidad Tomato curry (I'm adding squash and sweet potato as I'm not a big tomato fan), curried chick peas, bara bread (alas not fried but griddled) and some sauces in the form of mango chow, hot pepper sauce and green sauce.
First though, I need to get a little work done and then I'm going to make a golden snitch bow tie for my other half to wear to a posh Harry Potter themed do tomorrow.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ferijen:

Different people have different callings in life. Some people are called to make cake. I am called to eat it. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mrs Sioni has made Nigella's easy almond cake a couple of times recently. It really is a doddle of a recipe.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

I made a gorgeous Moroccan Orange and almond cake, gluten-free. Fat free too, it uses a whole cooked orange whizzed up to a pulp instead of fat.
Am going to look up Nigella's easy almond cake now.

Good day for cooking, its sleeting hard outside. [Frown]

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

CAKE may ensue later, depending on how tired I feel when I get home from w*rk.

The Cathedral vestry had their annual pot-luck last night, and very nice it was too, with a good variety of dishes. My contribution was a paella, which seemed to go down quite well, although there was enough left over that with a bit of augmentation it'll feed us for lunch tomorrow.

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

Not cake exactly, but this weekend I have a longing to have a go at making a tarte tatin. I saw one on the TV last weekend and have itching to try ever since. I’ll let you know how it goes.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tarte tatin is easier than it looks.

Best tip I was given: blanche apple slices before arranging in the pretty pattern - this removes the time pressure and ensures they stay a uniform colour when the whole thing is cooked and turned out.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Not cake exactly, but this weekend I have a longing to have a go at making a tarte tatin. I saw one on the TV last weekend and have itching to try ever since. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Best. Thing. Ever.

Mrs Sioni made this a few weeks after we returned from a holiday in France and, having enjoyed Tarte Tatin there, she made it here.

It worked. Oh my it worked. "This pastry's good" I said. "It should be. It's made with double cream and butter". Everything else was right too.

We have never repeated it. Having got something that good once, you know it won't ever be that good again.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

I keep having cravings for chocolate based cake when it is too late at night to begin baking (as in, half past ten or so), so i might need to make some tonight... I'd better make sure the kitchen is clear first otherwise the washing up mountain will be too big!

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I should have followed my instincts and gone out for a Chinese takeaway this evening. I could have been enjoying roast duck with plum sauce and rice. Instead, as it's blisteringly cold outside, I opted for opening a tin of cassoulet which has proved so unappetizing that I am now reduced to eating a large chunk of Christmas Pud well past its sell-by date but which seems fine otherwise. I should have known better than to buy tinned cassoulet, but a triumph of hope over experience I suppose.

La Vie, can you recommend a recipe for the moelleux au pain d’épices? It sounds like something I'd be interested in making. I don't mind if the recipe's in French.

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
marzipan - you can make chocolate cake in the microwave, you know. It only takes five minutes. At the bottom of the recipe I have, it says how dangerous this is, because now you will never be more than five minutes away from cake!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I love the fact that you are all still talking about cake. Will naw this weekend, despite having to w*rk.
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
marzipan - you can make chocolate cake in the microwave, you know. It only takes five minutes. At the bottom of the recipe I have, it says how dangerous this is, because now you will never be more than five minutes away from cake!

See what you've done, now I've gone and promised to teach my youngest how to make mug cake in the microwave tomorrow morning - they'll be no end to it.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Make sure he sticks to time suggested. Cake continues to cook and if too long in microwave, it becomes dry or burnt.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
...and I still haven't made that bread that I've been promising to make for ages - perhaps today?

Hmmm, we'll see.

Fabulous walk round the villages this morning just as the sky was lightening with the waning crescent moon peeping out from behind the palm trees. On my evening walks this week I have noticed Orion nearly overhead - if I was still awake at 22.00 I'm sure it would be directly overhead then.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Felt moderately snoozy after w*rk, so CAKE didn't materialise, but chicken stock is currently bubbling, and I'm off in a minute or two to strain it and put it in containers for freezing.

Then BBC Canada's beginning to screen the second series of Broadchurch.

Talking of such things, did any of you watch The Widower when it was shown in the UK? We've had the first two episodes here, and I found it quite compelling (even more so when I discovered it was based on a true story).

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
La Vie, can you recommend a recipe for the moelleux au pain d’épices? It sounds like something I'd be interested in making. I don't mind if the recipe's in French.

Unfortunately I'm not sure any such recipe exists in the public domain - I think it's the caterer's invention. I've never seen it anywhere else. You'll have to take a trip to foie gras land and go to her restaurant [Biased]

If you wanted to make something like it, I think you would need to look for a basic moelleux/fondant recipe (not the chocolate one - something like a moelleux aux pommes or moelleux au citron) and add the appropriate spices from a pain d'épices recipe. Last time we went there, I saw she had some on the counter that hadn't gone in the oven yet. She had made a sort of well in the middle and filled it with orange sauce and dark chocolate chips, which is what gives it the gooey centre.

Don't know if that helps...

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Yes, thanks very much. Like a melting middle gingerbread - could be a lot of fun to experiment with recipes [Biased]
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Talking of recipes, cherry CAKE is baking as I type this, and should be ready for virtual tasting soon.

The choir turned out in force this morning for the funeral of the mother of one of our tenors (she was 90 and had been in a home for some time). The service went very nicely, and the tenor concerned was very pleased.

May she rest in peace and rise in glory. [Votive]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  58  59  60 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016