homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Various Islands in the North Atlantic (Page 41)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  ...  58  59  60 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Various Islands in the North Atlantic
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I gave up going to the hairdressers some years ago as the prices for men and women are quite different and so is the treatment. Men get the no-nonsense "Let me cut your hair for you, what d'you want done" approach and are in and out of the salon pretty quickly, while women get an altogether more leisurely experience which personally drives me mad. I don't want to spend my time reading vacuous magazines and sipping coffee, or sit there with my hair in huge brightly coloured silly clips while it's slowly trimmed by a stylist who keeps breaking off to chat on the phone, and then after about an hour or so, get charged £40 or so, basically for the privilege of having something cut off and thrown away. It's the weekend and I've got other things to do.

I know some women love the "pampering" element but I find it quite irritating, especially the hairwash.

I used to go to one of those budget unisex places where you get a standby and are done within about half an hour, but it meant travelling to London, which I'm no longer keen to do. I trim and colour my own hair these days instead.

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Two things I don't like about going to the barber's:

1. Stylists who've just had a smoke before cutting your hair.

2. Stylists who insist on "blokey" talk: just do the job and keep quiet!

[Mad] I am a paid-up curmudgeon.

[ 13. August 2015, 12:43: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had a Number 2 all over on my hair and a shave - it cost a quid but I did give him a tip as well. The great thing is that he doesn't speak much English so I don't get the chat!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My hair is a greying mousey-brown, and it is and always has been absolutely straight. No kink. No curl. Nothing. It is quite fine. The only option I have is having it cut into a short "bob" with a centre parting.

As a glasses-wearer, having a fringe is not really an option either.

I wash and blow-dry it every single day, to try and get it to look anything like, and if it is raining it goes very flat very quickly. I don't know what frizz is...on a sunny day it gets "flyaway".

Every time I visit my hairdresser, the conversation goes something like this:

Him "What shall we do today?"
Me "What do you suggest?" (Thinking - please suggest something. Anything....)
Him "I don't think there is anything I can do with your hair, except what we already have. (There follows a conversation about various things, all of which I have tried in the past and none of which have worked.)

So I trot across and get my hair washed.....

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was only thinking this morning how lucky my brother is (completely bald) to be able to shower and out in three minutes, no faffing with hair!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's taken a while, but a couple of years ago I found a hairdresser here who does exactly what I want, and the results last longer than 24 hours.

Our conversation goes something like:

Her: What would you like today?
Me: Just do exactly what you did with it last time. [Smile]

Works every time.

It's apparently going to be something of a scorcher today: already it's 24° with a Humidex of 32, and it's forecast to go up to 26° with a Humidex of 35. It'll be warmer than that though, as the official temperatures are taken out at the airport, which is high up, and downtown temperatures are always a few degrees higher. [Eek!]

I think I'm going to aestivate.*

* like hibernate, but in the summer ... [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by St Everild:
As a glasses-wearer, having a fringe is not really an option either.

I'm curious I why this is St E as I've a fringe and wear glasses and it's never been something I've thought of.
I have grown my fringe out when several people asked me if I'd thought of doing it. It took ages and was a pain in the bum. Once I'd done it I realised one day that actually I didn't like it so had it cut back in (he cut it a bit thicker than I wanted so when it got thicker over time as each time I had it cut a bit more seems to get caught up in it, so another partial grow out took place that was also a pain in the bum!). Anyhow quite a few people said they much preferred my fringe, while the ones says I should grow it out weren't as impressed.

I never knew so many people had opinions about my fringe!

I've fairly fine hair but lots of it. It's very straight and I have to wash it every day as it still gets a bit greasy but also I seem to walk in the morning with it every where and needs a wash to get it vaguely under control.

In a general move to use more ethical products I've started using much gentler shampoo in the past few months and rarely use conditioner now, but again a light one if I do, and my hair feels a lot lighter but still in good condition.
I've found sometimes using apple cider vinegar sometimes gives it a good shine.

Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've had a fringe with glasses for most of the last forty four years. But, then I've had the same basic hair style for most of the last, oh, twenty five years. Seems to work for me.

One of the things I really do miss about my old job is the trainee hairdressers cutting my hair. Because it's a cut they all have to be assessed on, I knew they'd always do a reasonable job, and someone would sort it out if they messed up. I keep forgetting now, though, I don't need to allow an hour for a haircut!

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
DIL, a qualified and experienced hairdresser does mine. I pay her but nowhere near as much as having it done in a salon. She will not accept more and Christmas and birthdays are usually a free cut.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Stopped off for a takeaway as it's Friday and have just sat down to probably the worst lemon chicken (a few small chunks of chicken swimming in a thick sweet yellow sauce, outnumbered by bits of tinned pineapple) I've ever ordered. As if that wasn't enough I managed to cut myself on the edge of the foil carton which is never a good omen.

I should have gone to the usual place, which is usually excellent, but I went there two Fridays in a row so thought I'd try somewhere else for a change. And paid extra for this.

Oh well, there's always next week.

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The last time I had my hair cut (I usually have it long, with an Alice band) I took a graphic novel into the hairdressers with a picture of Captain Marvel on the front. I was shortly going to be wearing a Captain Marvel costume at an SF convention.
So I pointed to the picture, and said: "Do it like that," and she did a brilliant job, with layering and everything - and I think she enjoyed being asked to do something a bit different.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a fringe and wear glasses ,not a problem for me. I do have to trim my fringe between cuts though, which my hairdresser doesn't approve of as I tend to hack at it. Have decided to lighten my hair colour with I view to gradually going grey.
Baked this cake today as requested for daughter Erin's birthday tomorrow. Came out quite well. Was fun making the marzipan.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That cake sounds yummy, TreeBee and I think I'm going to have to give it a go. As a family we are all very keen on marzipan.
I'm off to the East Midlands for a re-union with the whole of my husband's family this weekend. Should be fun - specially as it will involve me going off to the local wool shop to spend the voucher my mother-in-law gave me for my birthday ages ago,

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I get a number 0 haircut, every 2 months or so, need it or not. I get them to tidy up my moustache at the same time. In between I wash my head with ayurvedic soap. No need for a conditioner. They sometimes do my eyebrows.

[Biased]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tree Bee:
I have a fringe and wear glasses ,not a problem for me. I do have to trim my fringe between cuts though, which my hairdresser doesn't approve of as I tend to hack at it. Have decided to lighten my hair colour with I view to gradually going grey.
Baked this cake today as requested for daughter Erin's birthday tomorrow. Came out quite well. Was fun making the marzipan.

DIL used to colour mine and then I started on a gradual shift. I relied on her judgment as to colour and amount. She had a much better eye than I did for that. It took quite a while and then last Christmas it was overdue for a cut. That cut took almost all the remaining colour and I like it now. Just be prepared for time.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A while ago life got too frantic to find time to,colour my hair, so I spent a couple of months with badger-style hair, then my hairdresser cut it really short so it was all white. I am fortunate to have inherited white (rather than grey) hair, and the purple shampoo that I use helps make it more silver. However, I have had a bottle each of beetroot and carrot juice just waiting for the right moment to experiment.... the right moment has kept disappearing for the last 11 months though. Next week is free so maybe, just maybe....

[ 14. August 2015, 22:13: Message edited by: daisydaisy ]

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
... I have had a bottle each of beetroot and carrot juice just waiting for the right moment to experiment ...

The mind boggles - are you going to drink it or dip your hair in it? [Eek!]

Enquiring minds need to know.

Renovations and repairs chez Piglet seem to be proceeding apace. D's bathroom is now usable, to his great delight as it's where the bath is; he hates showers but he's had to put up with one for the last God-knows-how-long. I'm fairly chuffed as well, as it means I shan't have to share my bathroom* any more.

* In a recent interview in a magazine, Sir Michael Caine was asked the secret of a happy marriage, to which he replied, "Separate bathrooms". Wise man. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Apart from when we have a full house we always have separate bathrooms and when we get the extension built there will be one more, probably labelled Himself's Office - I love having my own bathroom.

Having had Huia's gift DVD and a boxed set of three Rossini operas arrive on Thursday it was followed yesterday by two DVD boxed sets of Alan Bennett works - The Complete Talking Heads and Alan Bennett at the BBC. I shan't be short of viewing matter for a while.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Having had Huia's gift DVD and a boxed set of three Rossini operas arrive on Thursday it was followed yesterday by two DVD boxed sets of Alan Bennett works - The Complete Talking Heads and Alan Bennett at the BBC. I shan't be short of viewing matter for a while.

WW - boxed sets [Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

Mr S and I have separate bathrooms now we have the house to ourselves - mainly because we couldn't agree on the tiles etc when we had them redone, so we chose one each to have free rein with. Oh joy!

Mrs. S, who still loves her floor tiles [Axe murder]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm just contemplating getting started on my Saturday - there's shopping to do, weeding to get on with in the garden (as ever!) and I also need to cut some more fabric for a patchwork quilt top I've started.

And, getting packed for going to visit my sister and her husband and three kids tomorrow too - I haven't seen them since May, so it'll be good to catch up and have some 'auntie time'. The oldest one (nearly 5) has apparently been quite excited about my arrival for a number of days now!

--------------------
All I know is that you came and made beauty from my mess.

Posts: 180 | From: Just outside the M25 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Tried the Shop & Scan facility in Major Supermarket this morning, which involves going round the shelves with a handheld barcode scanner and packing items straight into your shopping bag. It was disconcerting doing this - I expected a security guard to stop me at any minute, and the lack of shopping basket after all these years felt odd. Interesting experience none the less but I don't think I'd do it every time, the scanner can be quite slow to operate. Good if you're in a hurry or the checkout queues look horrible though.

Come to think of it, none of that Unexpected Item in Bagging Area stuff either, which can only be a bonus.

Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I felt exactly the same wav the first time I did that too Ariel!

I'm at the start of 2 weeks holiday from w*rk, I've a couple of short trips away planned but not a full holiday. Just on my way to Windsor for a work colleagues leaving do, I've not visited Windsor for years!

Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Have just accepted an offer on our house - before we even put it on the market.
Am feeling rather shell-shocked.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:

Congratulations are in order, such a great feeling!
Due to selling father in law's bungalow, I am able to retire at the end of the month.
I've just worked my last Saturday, seems strange.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:

[Yipee]
Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Tree Bee:
Due to selling father in law's bungalow, I am able to retire at the end of the month.
I've just worked my last Saturday, seems strange.

Yikes - unimaginable!

Congratulations, both!

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Good news from those selling houses. Hope the whole process is as smooth as the start.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Yes, congratulations to both!

Tree Bee, retirement is strange, it doesn't seem real at all until it happens - and then you may well have dreams for a while about it all being a mistake and you having to go back! I have been retired nearly 18 years and I still get strange dreams about my rather strange ex-boss!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Well done TB and RoS, and health to enjoy respectively retirement and your new house.

I've had a very nicely busy evening: we went to an outdoor production of the kids' version of Pirates of Penzance in which two of the grand-daughters of a couple in the choir were singing, and it was extremely well done. We both know the show inside out, having been in it (and listened to CDs of it on long car journeys), and I think we did very well in resisting the temptation to join in ... [Hot and Hormonal]

It was a beautiful evening - not a cloud in the sky and it had cooled a little from the 25° earlier, so it was just about right for sitting outside. They're doing it again next weekend and if the weather's nice we might well go and see it again. Might take cushions to sit on next time though - concrete seats are very hard (the stage is under a roof, with concrete benches ranged round in a horse-shoe and rising like an amphitheatre).

When we got home I had a fit of goddessishness and made a paella for tomorrow's lunch (but there'll be plenty left over for freezing) and a batch of French sticks, so I'm feeling rather accomplished.

[Smile]

[ 16. August 2015, 02:56: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

quote:
Yes, congratulations to both!

Tree Bee, retirement is strange, it doesn't seem real at all until it happens - and then you may well have dreams for a while about it all being a mistake and you having to go back! I have been retired nearly 18 years and I still get strange dreams about my rather strange ex-boss!

Thanks WW and all for your good wishes.
You are right about it not feeling real. People are asking me what I will do, am I counting down the days, am I looking forward to it. I'm in a sort of limbo, tying up loose ends at work and realising I won't have to face forthcoming hurdles.
Am already having dreams of being somewhere strange and not in control! But still looking forward to it...

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I haven't had my hair cut for 16 years, the last time I had a trim of my (then) short hair before going to my father's funeral. My hair is long enough to sit on now, it used to be chestnut but I have a lot of grey now and a white streak. I can't have a fringe cut in as it makes Tudoring awkward and the long hair is handy for re-enactment anyway.
When I was about 26 I had long hair like it is now but decided one summer's day to have a short crop, without warning anyone. Several people didn't recognise me.
Congrats to all the housing news people.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Happy New Year!!

Today is 1st Chingam so it is the first day of the Malayalam New Year 1191. It still feels like 1190 to me but then what do I know?

Having this weekend alone in the house has been a bit strange but really quite pleasant - playing opera loudly is not something I do when other people are about but have given it full reign and it has been great.

It has also been nice making my own food and not being pressured to eat more! A late brunch and then a light supper is quite enough - actually one meal a day would be sufficient if I organised myself properly.

Well, one meal and possibly the odd biscuit here and there [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Nothing at all wrong with the odd biscuit, Wodders. [Big Grin]

Found myself multi-tasking at Evensong today: we were doing Purcell's Evening Service in G minor, which has bits where different combinations of voices are singing, and I sort of divided my time between alto and soprano, which was rather fun (and worked just fine). I really enjoy Evensong in the summer* when there are only a few of us; when we have the right few, we can be moderately impressive (the new curate was v. impressed tonight).

I had another attack of goddessishness after Evensong - I made a batch of chicken stock, and then thought I really might as well turn it into soup while I'm at it - the soup is currently simmering so I'd better go and check on it.

* and at other times of the year. [Smile]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I must get round to more soup. I think this batch will be ginger and pumpkin.

My problem is making enough for a couple of serves for one or occasionally two people.

For years I always had soup on hand for hungry boys and their friends. Then I made a big stock pot every day for months for small canteen. Temperature could be 38° C and I would still be asked for soup. Six serves is hard, it never looks enough.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
...I really enjoy Evensong in the summer...

A sudden memory flash of recessing after Evensong on a Summer's evening when the West Window is sparkling with sunlight to something soothing... except I can't remember the words of the hymn but something calm and gentle..

It has come to me: The day Thou gavest Lord is ended played to St Clement[?]

Marvellous moments!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Psychic Wodders - we had that one last night. [Smile]

I'm not sure we're exactly East-West orientated, but as it wasn't sunny yesterday evening it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

St. Magnus Cathedral is good for sunsets: the year before we left they celebrated the 850th anniversary of the founding by having stained glass added to the west window and on a sunny evening* it casts the most wonderful patches of colour on the sandstone pillars.

**sigh**

* The day we got married, there was thick fog until just before we came down the aisle, and then the sun came out and it looked like that. [Smile]

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I love The Day Thou Gavest, I think I'd like it at my funeral.
We had a lovely weekend with various in-laws. It ended up with a very silly game of frisbee on the field by my mother-in-law's hosue. We've decided we'll have a rematch at Christmas.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I've decided someone ought to invent a "storage cooler", as in the opposite of a storage heater. I'm sitting here enjoying a lovely cool little breeze coming in the window, and wishing I could capture it and use it tomorrow when the forecast says it's going to be 30°* but with the humidity feeling somewhere over 35. [Eek!]

* yes, Wodders, Centigrade. [Help]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I think you need ceiling fans or something - just an ordinary table fan can make a big difference, particularly if it is one of those that swishes side to side. If you are not at work a damp towel over head and shoulders can also be a relief. 29.6 here at the moment.

Herself is very sore and completely shattered after the implanting bit but Himself and I are finding that encouraging her to rest is pretty tough going - she seems to have this impulse to keep doing so we are developing an impulse of saying, quite automatically, stop that, just rest every few minutes.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Welease Woderwick: It still feels like 1190 to me but then what do I know?
Richard Lionheart going off on the Third Crusade?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
I think you need ceiling fans or something ...

It'll have to be very high up to work outdoors ... [Big Grin]

What I hate is when I leave w*rk (which is delightfully air-conditioned), open the door and get hit by this blast of heat. At least the new Pigletmobile has air-con (first car we've had that does), which is quite splendid, although D. doesn't like it - he's a soft Southerner who doesn't feel the heat, and hardly ever even has the grace to perspire.

We have a floor-standing fan in the den where the television is, and where we sit, and it certainly helps; our ceilings are very low, and ceiling-fans probably aren't a viable option. D. quite fancies getting a Dyson one like these but they cost a fortune, and I'm not entirely convinced they wouldn't just create a bit of an indoor hurricane.

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's more than 30 years since we last sold a house, and I'm boggled by the amount of paperwork our solicitor has sent us to fill in before he starts work.
How on earth are we supposed to know what fixtures and fittings we are going to leave behind when we haven't even seen a property we want to buy yet? (Actually they are welcome to the curtains, which haven't been taken down for years, and would probably fall apart if I attempted to wash them)

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I've decided someone ought to invent a "storage cooler", as in the opposite of a storage heater.

They have. It's called a root cellar. The earth stores up all the lovely cold* from the winter, and uses it to cool the cellar in the summer.

*Yes, I know...

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And the latest on my knee is...I may have broken it. I saw a lovely consultant at our local hospital this morning, who broke (no pun intended) the news to me, sent me for more X-rays which seemed to confirm what she thought from the first set. So I know have a knee splint to wear at home and some extremely unglamorous compression stockings. Oh, and an appt at he fracture clinic Friday morning. The moral of all of this is that tidying up is bad for you - I slipped and fell whilst trying to restore order to our living room table, aka our filing system/paper dump.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Oh no St Glwadys. Hope your knee heals quickly.

We have one of those Dyson fans as I hate getting buffered about. It's fascinating how it works, young Grandson keeps putting it on and gazing at it. Keeps him quiet I suppose!

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Went to the allotment this evening where the people on the next plot had found a large toad that was sitting phlegmatically under their runner bean frame, waiting for the attention to die down so it could disappear. It looked quite well fed - lots of slugs and snails around so it won't go hungry.

It's years since I last saw a toad, and that was a very tiny one that used to turn up on my doormat in the mornings when I lived on the edge of the countryside. We struck up a friendship, and it would hop onto the palm of my hand for me to carry it back to the nearby pond. It never occurred to me at the time that toads can be poisonous.

quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
And the latest on my knee is...I may have broken it.

Oh eek! It's about time you had some good luck. Sending some vibes your way!
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I was only thinking this morning how lucky my brother is (completely bald) to be able to shower and out in three minutes, no faffing with hair!

Having no hair is compensated by a beard that needs combing.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
... It's called a root cellar ...

Oh, I know about those - I was thinking more about something to keep me cool. [Cool]

As it turned out, it wasn't quite the record-breaker they were forecasting, but it did get up to 27° this afternoon, which sent lots of people including the local news into a tail-spin; up until the start of August it had been such a rubbish summer this whole "sunshine" thing is still a bit of a novelty. [Big Grin]

We'd considered going down to Chafe's Landing for lunch, but they weren't taking reservations, and we reckoned we'd have to wait an age, so we went to the grad students' bar instead. They serve good, v. cheap food including quite decent fish & chips* (for D.) and a sort of vegetarian chilli (for me). It was actually the filling for a burrito, but you could have rice instead of a tortilla, so I did. With drinks and a tip it came to $30 (about £15) for the two of us.

* by the standards of this side of the Pond anyway; they're still not in the same league as the Harbour Fry in Kirkwall.

eta: St. G. - that sounds really nasty. Definitely no more tidying up for you ... [Devil]

[ 19. August 2015, 02:17: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

St G - Quentin Crisp says in one of his books that after four years the dust just doesn't get any worse so I suggest you give up on the housework, at least for a while.

I am about to assume my handyman role! I am fitting a light in the puja room as, after 8 and more years I can't stand the gloom there any more! All the wiring is there, it is just a matter of fitting the holder, making the connections and finding a CFL. It will probably take longer to get the tools out and back than to do the job!

--------------------

Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Eek, hope the knee heals soon, St G...

We have toads in our garden - they first appeared the summer after we put the pond in, and have been around ever since. We get toad spawn each spring, and babies developing through the early summer [Smile] I haven't seen much sign recently, but while I was having to take Fluffy Pup out to the garden in he the middle of the night, we usually saw one or two adult toads. Lots of slugs and snails to keep them well fed in my garden for sure!

Speaking of which I really should be doing gardening today when it's neither too wet nor too hot, but baking with Op 2 and helping Op 1 with focussing on completing various Guide badges is so much more appealing! [Biased]

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  ...  58  59  60 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016