homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Various Islands in the North Atlantic (Page 42)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  ...  58  59  60 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Various Islands in the North Atlantic
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I love the English summer - today I spent a damp few hours on a beach with 4 under 4's and their mums. It was dry to start with, and when we could no longer pretend that the water drops were sea spray we covered our wind break with another that had broken, and had lunch in our "tent". Memories are made of this ... aided by the hot chocolates that we treated ourselves to in the posh beach cafe.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You're unlikely to get bored by a Newfoundland summer: yesterday 28° and sticky, today 16° and rather cool. Guess which one I prefer ... [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yesterday I did the lighting things upstairs but Himself didn't want more light in the Puja Room so I left that but I was then musing on going over to totally LED lighting instead of our current mix of CFLs and a few LEDs so I was vaguely searching on Amazon.in to see if there were any remarkable deals there - my search, using LED Bulbs turned up, amongst other things of similar nature, a book called Love, Sex & the Whip with an illustration on the cover I shall leave to your collective imaginations.

[Eek!]

I concluded to buy the LED thingies locally rather than go to the hassle of getting them delivered - buying them locally is, I found, cheaper too!

[Years ago a female colleague and I were staffing a Sexual Health Stall at an evening event when a young woman approached us for advice - she was a dominatrix and wanted to talk about the safety, in HIV terms, of nailing her male partner's parts to a plank! We discussed it with her and she went away satisfied, I think. I was more worried about tetanus than HIV!]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Eye bleach on your shopping list please, WW [Eek!] [Eek!]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is an abiding memory! She was just so blasé about it!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

[Years ago a female colleague and I were staffing a Sexual Health Stall at an evening event when a young woman approached us for advice - she was a dominatrix and wanted to talk about the safety, in HIV terms, of nailing her male partner's parts to a plank! We discussed it with her and she went away satisfied, I think. I was more worried about tetanus than HIV!]

As a nurse that was my immediate reaction too!

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Interesting. What's the answer? Basically 'make sure you have sterilised the nails'?

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I think so - Steriswabs™ on everything before you begin! It has always struck me as a pretty weird thing to agree to in the first place.

Chacun a son goût or whatever.

In other news today we learnt that on Monday Herself had 7 embryos implanted! I gather the chances of them all developing are pretty small but have been giggling over the implications - multiple tiered bunk beds? I may have to move out and take a little rented house just outside screaming range.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Eye bleach on your shopping list please, WW [Eek!] [Eek!]

Loth's right - now that I've seen that, I can't un-see it.

Best of luck to Herself for success, but not too much success ... [Devil]

We had a v. nice feed last night at a place that's a breakfasterie by day, but has an evening menu as well. We started by sharing wings and rings (which was a far more generous portion than we needed), then D. had a skillet potato-bake thing, and I had the best-value lamb chops in the city - a half-rack of four with very nicely-cooked veggies and a baked potato for $20 (about £10). Most of the more up-market places in town would charge twice that, and much as I love lamb, I'm not prepared to pay $40 for it.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Most of the more up-market places in town would charge twice that, and much as I love lamb, I'm not prepared to pay $40 for it.

[Eek!] I should think not. For that price you should expect at least an entire quarter of the sheep.

Had a charity cake sale today and in the donations bucket there was a dirty-looking 2p piece which turned out to be a genuine George V halfpenny, from 1932, i.e. it's 83 years old. It's not unknown to get coins which aren't normal UK currency in donations buckets, but this is a first for me. I'm keeping it for luck.

quote:
In other news today we learnt that on Monday Herself had 7 embryos implanted!

Yikes. I know you said "implants" upthread but I'd sort of idly assumed this was dental or something. I hope she's okay.
moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just got back from a lovely 4 and a bit days with my sister, her husband and their three kids, now 4, 2 and 7 months. Absolutely delightful to cuddle, play with and generally spoil the little ones - we took the older two swimming this morning, and seeing them laughing on the mini water slides and in the waves was adorable. My sister and I also took all three to the beach on Tuesday and again, paddling in the waves with them was lovely. Nieces and nephews are the best [Smile]

--------------------
All I know is that you came and made beauty from my mess.

Posts: 180 | From: Just outside the M25 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by moonfruit:
... Nieces and nephews are the best [Smile]

Speaking as Auntie and Great-Auntie Piglet I completely agree! [Axe murder]

Last shift done at the Crypt Tea Room today (the final week is split among the various teams and the choir is doing the last two days) and it was a busy one - we made over $700. I'm not involved tomorrow as one of the profs in our department died last week and his memorial service is on Friday afternoon.

I hope the chapel at the funeral home is air-conditioned - it's forecast to be 25° tomorrow and feeling like over 30 ... [Help]

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by moonfruit:
... Nieces and nephews are the best [Smile]

Speaking as Auntie and Great-Auntie Piglet I completely agree! [Axe murder]
Being Honorary Auntie is pretty good too [Biased]

Today, as I drove over the busy motorway taking cars to the coast I noticed that it looked more like a car park and right at that moment the national BBC radio traffic news said it was due to the removal of someone sunbathing on the motorway [Ultra confused]

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My niece and nephew are very cool too. I was glad that I was able to spend some time with them last month.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... I hope the chapel at the funeral home is air-conditioned ... [Help]

It wasn't. [Frown] It was, however, packed, and I ended up standing at the back, although I managed to purloin a chair about half-way through which was just as well, as my back was beginning to ache.

Funerals seem to be the order of the day at the moment: the choir's suddenly been asked to turn out tomorrow for the funeral of a very elderly lady in the congregation although the family had originally said they only wanted a soloist.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good luck to Herself, WW.
I agree about nieces and nephews, having seen three of them this week. The grown up ones were delightfully grown-up, full of the exciting places they'd been and seeing the six year old meant we had a chance for a walk and a trip to a playground.
I'm waiting for the taxi to take us to the airport on holiday. I usually take a pillow as I'm fussy about such things, but I've ditched it so I can take some extra shoes as its a walking holiday and having just got my feet pain free I don't want to set them off again. Fingers crossed the hotel has the sort of soft pillows I like.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarasa:

Fingers crossed the hotel has the sort of soft pillows I like.

Even budget chains have choices of pillows (or will install them at request) Good luck.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Have fun Sarasa! I always take my own pillow case away with me if a pillow won't fit.

We are home from a few days in London with both sons. It was lovely, and very rare, to get them both together.

Twiglet was good as gold at her boarders and Tatze stayed with her best friend in the whole wide world, Zaba.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My 6 year old nephew just got his "B" swimming diploma. This means he's able to swim in water of any depth — with full clothes and shoes if necessary — and already has some lifesaving skills.

Proud uncle.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Today I acquired another honorary nephew - or at least I'm an honorary aunt. We walked a reluctant alpaca together - cute thing.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Now that we have our first grandchild, we also have two aunts and two uncles who are new to this. They seem almost as pleased as we are.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Congratulations on your grandpahood, SS! [Yipee]

After a nice lazy morning, we've had quite a busy day. The funeral went well (although it was horribly hot - 27° but feeling like 33, and it hadn't occurred to our dozy sidesmen to open the West doors), and there was a decent congregation, considering that the deceased was 98. When I saw the undertaker, I said "we really must stop meeting like this" - I don't think I've ever been to funerals on two consecutive days before. Must be getting old ... [Help]

Afterwards, having not had time for lunch, D. and I went to a local hotel and had a cheese platter, olives and a glass of wine, which was rather nice, and then decided that as it was such a lovely evening we'd go back and see another performance of Pirates of Penzance, which we thoroughly enjoyed (again).

Now I'm in the process of making rolls for tomorrow's lunch*, which I hope are rising as I type.

* Bacon + tomato + avocado + nice bread = heaven [Smile]

--------------------

Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sandemaniac's cricket match has been cancelled due to rain. This also means I'm reconsidering my plan of heading over to the other side of town to see the Rugby World Cup (and a colleague playing in the touch rugby matches going on as a part of its visit to us).

On the other hand, I've just taken some fresh bere-meal shortbread out of the oven. Available for virtual tasting [Yipee]

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Celtic Knotweed: This also means I'm reconsidering my plan of heading over to the other side of town to see the Rugby World Cup
I thought that only started in September? I wanted to go there but I heard tickets are very expensive.

--------------------

Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Due to the wonderful British summer weather, yesterday's laundry is still on the washing line, having had a further two rinses...

Depending on tomorrow's weather it may yet have a few more before finally coming indoors, since the current plan is for me to take the Opuses to Birmingham to do as much as we can manage of their Big Hoot owl trail, and to fit in shopping for the assorted school essentials which we haven't yet sorted (i.e. everything except mobile phones or uniform with logo!). Could be fun, could be a total disaster...

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My plan A to do more of the Big Hoot Owl trail today was thwarted by the weather. I've done most of the city centre ones and am deciding which of the ones over the rest of the city I want to find.

I also need to get some new work jeans and some new funeral trousers.

Owls will be more fun!

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

When the alarm went off two hours ago it was thrashing it down outside so thinking I'm not walking in that! I quite happily turned over and went back to sleep. Now the sun is beaming down and not a cloud in the sky!

But I'm still not going to walk as breakfast is nearly ready and I'm rather fond of food.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I love the idea of the Big Hoot; it seems similar to the Wenlock and Mandeville statues they had in London for the 2012 Olympics and the Paddington Bears when the film came out. My sis-in-law did several walks collecting pictures of both of those, and when we happened to be in London at the start of the Paralympics I took a picture of D. with one of the statues, just to prove we'd been there ... [Big Grin]

A few years ago, there was a similar sort of thing here, but with mermaids.

It's been a very sticky, uncomfortable sort of day here; although it didn't get officially above 23° with a Humidex of 33, it felt even hotter than that to me. Cassocks and surplices don't half hold a lot of heat. [Help]

Did some nice music though: Hassler's Missa super "Dixit Maria" and Rejoice in the Lord always by that wonderfully prolific Tudor composer Anon in the morning, and Gibbons Mag and Nunc and Harris's Holy is the true Light at Evensong, all of which caused much Decanal Grinning™.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's tipping it down here too, which is not encouraging me to visit today's market.

My current desire for dryness is partly triggered by getting drenched in a thunderstorm walking down from Blackstone Edge yesterday. And because we timed it for the last train from Marsden to meet my bus I only got to wring out my socks on the train platform (and change to drier inner socks), so my shoes and feet were still wet when I finally got home at 11:30pm. Everything else had dried out by then, eventually.

[ 24. August 2015, 10:52: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

If St. Peter could only send some of your rain here to Zimbabwe. They need it.

(PS Going from a Brazilian to an English to an African climate within one week isn't doing wonderful things to my nose and throat.)

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pouring. Well, they said it would.

Quiet weekend with some butterfly-spotting, ice creams and a brief trip to Stratford curtailed by the oncoming rain. Stratford was notable for a street performer doing sleight of hand tricks with ropes (very convincingly) and someone selling those giant bubble devices which you wave around to generate giant bubbles, and which small children love to chase across the grass. The bubbles were so huge they were magical and I'm still not convinced there isn't some sort of snowflake pattern at the base, though it may just be suds.

Uneventful otherwise, you'd think there'd be a bookshop somewhere in Stratford which would have a section of novels featuring the Bard, but no.

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How many novels featuring Shakespeare are there? I think Anthony Burgess wrote one or two, didn't he? Otherwise, off the top of my head, I can't think of any. Has someone written some casting him as a detective? (If not, that might be a good or at least a lucrative idea!)
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
Celtic Knotweed: This also means I'm reconsidering my plan of heading over to the other side of town to see the Rugby World Cup
I thought that only started in September? I wanted to go there but I heard tickets are very expensive.
Tickets are ridiculously expensive. We did try, but I'm going to be watching it on TV or listening to the radio.

This was the Cup itself on a tour before the event starts. Didn't go in the end as I spent a chunk of the later afternoon dealing with a sub-migraine bad headache [Frown] , which leaves me with a low amount of crowd-coping. The walk along the river was a much better plan! (Heron, grey wagtail, someone eventually figuring out the automated lock gates on the Thames)

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Celtic Knotweed: This was the Cup itself on a tour before the event starts.
Ah, I get it know.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
How many novels featuring Shakespeare are there?

More than you think. I read one years ago about what he got up to during the "lost years" in Italy, which I'd love to re-read but can't remember title or author; and just recently, I've read "No Bed for Bacon", "King of Shadows" and "The Stratford Boys". There are quite a few more; I'm in the process of tracking down some (hopefully) good reads, but don't want to buy them online and then find I don't like them. "Will" and "Ruled Britannia" might be worth reading and so might "Time's Fool", which is a mystery.
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Hm, a book about Spakesheare, the Alien Detective from Andromeda. I'm sure there is money in that.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
IMHO the ticket pricing is not unconnected with the resignation of Debbie Jevans who was CEO of RWC 2015. She was exasperated at the Old Boys Network that runs the game, pretty much in their own interests.

btw, as far as rugby is concerned I'm going to see a couple of the pre-season warm-ups between Bath, Exeter and Gloucester. Quite a few players will be discards from England's final squad so they will have a point to prove.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been spending today settling back into my own place - I've been housesitting at the Vicarage for the past 3 1/2 weeks so I've had my run of a lovely big house and garden. Being back in my little flat, and with all my school prep to do before next week feels a bit like coming back down to earth with a bump, and not an entirely welcome bump either. Hopefully I'll settle myself down fairly quickly!

[ 24. August 2015, 14:46: Message edited by: moonfruit ]

--------------------
All I know is that you came and made beauty from my mess.

Posts: 180 | From: Just outside the M25 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It's a Foggy Day in Old St. John's today, and the view from the corridor outside my office has gone away. Mercifully lower temperatures in the forecast for the next few days (mid-to-high teens, much nearer the comfort zone of the Northerly Piglet).

There was some fairly serious-looking rain in Yorkshire on our Weather Channel - you folk seem to be having quite an exciting summer, meteorologically speaking. [Eek!]

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
There was some fairly serious-looking rain in Yorkshire on our Weather Channel - you folk seem to be having quite an exciting summer, meteorologically speaking. [Eek!]

You're not wrong, Piglet. The only solution is to be carrying, at all times, sunglasses, sunblock, umbrella and waterproofs. Or just be resigned to being sunburnt and soggy all the time.

Luckily when yesterday's downpour came I was sat in a hut at the Yummy Yorkshire Ice Cream Parlour in Denby Dale eating a waffle sundae watching everybody else get wet.

We'd been to Mirfield Agricultural Show earlier in the day. No llama gymkhana this year, although there were llamas there. Also giant rabbits, miniature goats and pig racing.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I really shouldn't have looked at the breakfast menu from that ice-cream parlour - now I want a Full English with eggy bread and Proper Bacon™.

Hold the beans though ... [Big Grin]

[ 24. August 2015, 22:52: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

After that little bit last week I think I have been transported overnight to another time zone - probably somewhere not too far from Piglet-Ville - as on my morning walk I found myself humming The Day Thou Gavest which seems singularly inappropriate just as dawn is breaking!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... humming The Day Thou Gavest seems singularly inappropriate just as dawn is breaking!

Oh I don't know:
quote:
The sun that bids us rest is waking
Our brethren 'neath the western sky

That's you, isn't it? [Big Grin]

I can't say that the sun's doing anything of the sort today; like the view from the corridor, it's gone away.

At least it's taken some of the heat with it ... [Devil]

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Twenty nine out of eighty nine Big Hoot Owls seen and mostly photographed. Apart from the occasional mishap. I'm new to this photography caper, but am enjoying it more than I thought I would.

Mind you, I wasn't expecting to come home with a whole pile of useful stuff from Lakeland and a new bed ordered. Hedwig Owl was somewhat of a disappointment and I got distracted by the bed shop on my way to the other owls in the north.

--------------------

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We managed fifty something owls yesterday before dripping back of the car and heading home. My feet had just about stopped aching when I got up this morning... I thik the Ops enjoyed it, but it's was hard to tell through the bickering. I had fun, though. I'd love to get back up to see the others, but can't realistically see that happening. I didn't get many photos, as I was trying to keep my phone dry, but got pics of our favourites [Smile] Op 1 was particularly excited by Dr Whoot, and then even more so by the discovery of a full-size TARDIS at BBC Birmingham! [Big Grin]

And That Washing finally made it indoors this morning; hopefully it'll be dry properly this evening at which point I can try and cram it into the over-stuffed airing cupboard! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We've just sung "the day thou gravest" at a reception into church of the father of a friend. Phillip was 92, a deacon in the Catholic Church next door to our house, and the patriarch of a large family - 10 children, 3 adopted, and so numerous grandchildren and great grandchildren. One son is a priest who conducted the service and who will conduct the service tomorrow. All very sad, but an element of joy for a life well lived with an assurance of knowing where he is.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

quote:
Originally posted by Beethoven:
We managed fifty something owls yesterday before dripping back of the car and heading home.

I am in awe! Though, I have seen more at a distance from various buses. I'm just not counting them unless I've been close enough to take a photograph of them.

quote:
Originally posted by Beethoven:
Op 1 was particularly excited by Dr Whoot, and then even more so by the discovery of a full-size TARDIS at BBC Birmingham! [Big Grin]

As are most of those who have seen my photos of Dr Whoot.. I seem to have a lot of Dr Who fans amongst my friends.

[ 25. August 2015, 20:46: Message edited by: Japes ]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Japes: I seem to have a lot of Dr Who fans amongst my friends.
That's just because you chose them well.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
quote:
... humming The Day Thou Gavest seems singularly inappropriate just as dawn is breaking!

Oh I don't know:
quote:
The sun that bids us rest is waking
Our brethren 'neath the western sky

That's you, isn't it? [Big Grin]

Strangely I was thinking of you as I typed it!

Life was so much simpler when the world was flat!

On my rather short evening walk last night one of the local lads put a hand on each of my [facial!] cheeks and said: I love your wrinkles!

I felt like replying: Who do you think I am. W H Auden? but didn't think he'd get the reference.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Whenever I'm singing that verse, Zappa, Loth and the Oz/NZ shippies are the ones that spring first to mind, followed by you (well, they get the sunrise first, don't they?). [Big Grin]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  ...  58  59  60 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016