homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Various Islands in the North Atlantic (Page 43)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  ...  58  59  60 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Various Islands in the North Atlantic
moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, I have found one downside to upgrading to Windows 10 - my printer no longer works! Apparently it's incompatible. Which is somewhat frustrating, as even though I don't use it a great deal, I do need to have one hanging around. Oh well, time to buy a new one, I guess - I have had this one for pushing on for 10 years, in fairness.

In other news, school work is coming along slowly. I'm teaching in the same year group that I've been in for the past 5 years, so I do rather feel like if I don't know what I'm doing by now, I never will. If the rain decides to stop I might go for a little walk, and try and persuade a friend out for coffee.

--------------------
All I know is that you came and made beauty from my mess.

Posts: 180 | From: Just outside the M25 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know today is National Dog Day, but in the past two days I've had 8 different people posting a succession of dog or puppy pictures to my Facebook feed. Every time I log in there's another photo, or someone's changed their profile picture to a dog pic, or there's a dog-joke cartoon or YouTube clip of dogs playing the piano or something. What is this glut of caninity? Am I the only one experiencing this? What is the universe trying to tell me?

Oh well, I suppose it makes a change from all the usual cat and kitten pictures.

Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I didn't know it was National Dog Day! But because I'm me, I'll not join in! [Biased]

Today I've shampooed the hall carpet for a third time - I ink it's looking a little better now. And I've done our bedroom carpet too. No dim just hoping it'll dry properly before bedtime so all the things which are currently piled up on the bed can go back to their normal places... [Ultra confused]

Ops were told this morning that they had an hour to clear their bedroom floors so that they could be cleaned properly too, while I have the machine out. Seven hours later they've each made a start. Ish. [Mad]

It's not even pleasant enough weather to want to take the dogs out for a long therapeutic walk. Bah.

[ 26. August 2015, 16:45: Message edited by: Beethoven ]

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A month's rain in an hour this afternoon, and our not-quite-a-cellar flooded.
Guess we'll have to tell the prospective buyers, and add it to the property information form that is just waiting to be taken to our solicitor.
Hope that's not the end of our house-moving plans [Frown]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
... Am I the only one experiencing this?

Now that you come to mention it, no you're not. I seem to get a fair number of doggy pictures in one way or another. Having said that, one FB friend is a particular sucker for Golden Retrievers - he has one, but would happily adopt several more if his wife would agree - and lots of friends post doggy pictures on his time-line, some of which filter through to mine. And I have to say, I'm not entirely innocent myself - if I see a retriever picture, my first thought is, "P. would like that".

We went back to Pi for dinner this evening, and decided to stray from our usual choices; we started with some garlic bread, then D. had a small pizza with shaved steak, green peppers, onions, mushrooms and a teriyaki and sesame seed base and I had fettuccine Alfredo with chicken and veggies, and both were excellent.

Quite a lot of eating-out on the cards this week: we're going to the local Greekery tomorrow with three other couples from the choir with whom we get together to celebrate birthdays, and three of the group have had birthdays over the last few weeks.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Going back to being a domestic goddess will be hard, Piglet, after eating out a lot.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Today half the sky is blue and half black - I wonder which will win?

My personal trainer arrives soon so I will be indoors huffing and puffing whatever the weather! [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My carpet cleaning frenzy is over for now - makes a nice change to do it while I'll get the benefit, rather than as we're moving out! [Biased] Ops still haven't done their rooms, so I've 'generously offered to help' - i.e, said that if they're not done in the next half hour, I will finish the job, it will take me about two mins per room, and they'll really wish they'd done it themselves... [Two face]

At least it look a like it might be reasonable weather for a gentle run later this afternoon with Op 2 [Smile]

[ 27. August 2015, 13:11: Message edited by: Beethoven ]

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is this the carpet-cleaning done with a machine and loads of shampoo? (Never done that myself!) Or 'just' passing the hoover?

I'm so glad that in my current, new flat I have no carpets at all. I think I'm just not a carpet person, plus the floor is (I'd say) much easier to clean! [Yipee]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We are carpet free here, too, and I now find when heading to UK I need to up the antihistamines and I think the probable cause is the carpets - some friends have a cottage in the New Forest with hardwood floors and no problem there.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At last, a day off. I've been very industrious and made a tiny impact on the mess that is our home. Thing is, with the boy sorting out his entire life's possessions ready for Uni and with me having brought mountains of stuff home from school to prepare for the term ahead, there is barely room to stand up, let alone tidy up. But it's looking a lot more like organised chaos now, with every single item of the boy's clothing piled on the lounge chair for sorting (I sense a charity shop somewhere near us is in for a shock!)

I am dying to sort out some of my stuff too, but am trying to hold off until he's gone. Empty nest pending!!!

The trouble with living in rented accommodation is that you don't get a choice as far as flooring is concerned. I'd love to put hard flooring down in the boy's room and in the hallway, probably the bathroom too, but it's a no-go. (Boy's room because his beloved degus live in there and boy do they make a mess!)

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have added Alf the Penguin Owl to my collected Big Hoot Owls. He's by what was the Floozie in the Jacuzzi. The Floozie is still cavorting there but the Jacuzzi is now full of plants not water.

I didn't explain to the slightly puzzled children near by why I said in my out loud voice "I must remember to tell Smudgie about this one.."

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wondering how I could make sure we all saw Alf the Penguin Owl - then I remembered I have a link in my signature to the most obviously sensible place!

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Oh, now I am extra happy [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
What a wonderful owl Alf is!

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Those owls are wonderful, Japes - thanks for the link!

I ventured back into school today for the first time, and oh boy. I had forgotten how much stuff there is in my classroom. I'm desperate to implement "a place for everything, and everything in its place" this year, and really stick to it, so I'm detirmined to get things organised properly. I think I may have underestimated the scale of the task...

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And today as I set off for work at a sensible, early time, it was tipping it down. For the first time in a couple of months I got the coat out.

By the time I got to the bus station (to catch the other bus) the rain had stopped and all afternoon we had bright sunshine. Typical.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Similar weather down here lately. I have been glad I could stay at home where coping was easier than guessing what would happen through the day. Beautiful here today. Flooded areas will benefit from breeze and sunshine.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tonight's eating-out has been postponed until tomorrow for some complicated reason, so after w*rk D. and I had a run round Costco and had a bite of lunch there. I may have a slight fit of Domestic Goddessery on Saturday, if the muse is on me ...

It's been a really nice couple of days here; the temperature has dipped to the high teens/low 20s, and it doesn't seem so humid, a development observed via the medium of Piglet's Hair Barometer™*.

* The slightest hint of humidity sends my hair into an inexplicable combination of lankness and frizz. [Ultra confused]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ona Asamsakal

Wishing you all a very happy Onam!

We have just had our Onam Feast [this year there were 25 separate dishes if you count the rice as well, and Payasam - or pudding] and we are all completely stuffed and I have eaten far too much!

Again!

I think a quiet afternoon is now called for before a horde of local kids descend after sunset to help eat all the leftovers - skinny little ten-year-olds can put away amazing amounts of fodder!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

We have just had our Onam Feast [this year there were 25 separate dishes if you count the rice as well, and Payasam - or pudding] and we are all completely stuffed and I have eaten far too much!

**jealous**

quote:

... skinny little ten-year-olds can put away amazing amounts of fodder!

**jealous**!

Happy Onam to you too WW [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm a zombie today. I came back from Brazil last week, spent four days in the UK, and have been working like an ox in Zimbabwe this week. Today's my first day off, but I feel like finally the weight of all of this has come down on me.

All I seem to be able to do today is to watch the Athletics, which are rather good. I'll probably walk around Bulowayo a bit in the weekend, I already know this city reasonably well.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Enjoy walking around Bulawayo. Its my home town
Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

That's a fair bit of jet-lag to take in, LeRoc. I always find it's worse going east than going west; when we go back to the UK, even though it's only a 5½-hour flight from here, I'm like a wet rag for the first couple of days. It's not helped by the flight being overnight, so you arrive at silly-o'clock after not getting any proper sleep (aeroplane sleep doesn't really count).

Wodders, happy Onam to you too; would you like some virtual liver-salts? [Devil]

[ 28. August 2015, 13:32: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
shamwari: Enjoy walking around Bulawayo. Its my home town
Thank you, I always like it here. I guess it can be a bit sleepy at times, but it's a nice city.

quote:
Piglet: I always find it's worse going east than going west
Same with me. It feels like I've successfully staved off my jet-lag for 1.5 weeks by working really hard, but on the first day I'm free it caught up with me with a vengeance. Oh well, I guess it deserves that. I think I'll be OK tomorrow, but today the Athletics championship and the Ship are pulling me through the day.

quote:
Piglet: (aeroplane sleep doesn't really count).
I never sleep on a plane, I'm just too tall. The problem is also that there are other people on the plane [Biased]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I never sleep on a plane, I'm just too tall. The problem is also that there are other people on the plane [Biased]

True, make sure your valuables are safe first.

I once dozed off on a train and opened my eyes to find some bloke watching me with an unpleasant sort of grin on his face. I gave him my best withering stare of burning frosty contempt but the brazen git didn't seem abashed. It made me realize that there are some people who get off on this kind of thing and cured me of ever dozing off on trains again. I didn't want to end up on someone's phone for their personal enjoyment or a web page entitled "Women who sleep on trains" or or something.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Ariel: I didn't want to end up on someone's phone for their personal enjoyment or a web page entitled "Women who sleep on trains" or or something.
Wow, it had never occurred to me that these things could happen, but I guess they do. You can never overestimate how creepy people can be.

It isn't really my valuables I'm worried about, it's just that sleeping to me is a very intimate thing. It has even happened often with a girl-friend that the first 3–4 nights with her I had trouble falling asleep.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I must admit it wouldn't really occur to me that anyone would nick my stuff because I was asleep on a plane, but I'm a very trusting sort of soul, having grown up in a place with very little crime.

Had a v. nice feed this evening with friends from the choir at the local Greekery. They give you lovely garlic bread-sticks on the house, and we also had some pita bread and roasted red-pepper dip to start, then D. had Greek roast lamb and I had chicken souvlaki with lemon potatoes, Greek salad, pita bread and tzatziki. As is our wont, we did a bit of swapping and sharing, and there was enough of it that we took a doggy-bag home with us which will do for tomorrow's lunch.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Last night it was 2 ten year olds plus a 5 year old and a 6 year old - I think the 5 year old may well have eaten the most! I know their mothers and I know they feed their kids on a regular basis but you wouldn't believe it to see the way they attacked that food. They particularly raved over the Rasam [a sort of thin tomato and pepper soup that accompanies the food] which added power to my idea that this house provides the finest Rasam in the entire universe.

I didn't have supper last night, not that I often do, and I've only had a token breakfast this morning. My stomach is still trying to work out what it thinks of it all.

But it was good!

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Wow, it had never occurred to me that these things could happen, but I guess they do. You can never overestimate how creepy people can be.

Recently there was a bit of contention about a Facebook group called "Women who Eat on Tubes" with pictures of, as you might guess, women eating on the London Tube, which some claimed was voyeurism, and others claimed was legitimate as they were in a public place.

I sympathize with those who didn't like it, but then again, there's also been "People who sleep on trains", with shots of commuters crashed out in often ridiculous poses, including upright. Some of the pictures were quite amusing but at the same time it's hard to say whether this sort of thing is an invasion of privacy or not.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:

I sympathize with those who didn't like it, but then again, there's also been "People who sleep on trains", with shots of commuters crashed out in often ridiculous poses, including upright. Some of the pictures were quite amusing but at the same time it's hard to say whether this sort of thing is an invasion of privacy or not.

Worth a thread in Purg I reckon.

Folk often put photos of themselves (and dogs [Biased] ) on social media - but when it comes to those of other people and without permission it's another story again. Then there's 'street photography' with long lenses which are really short (if you see what I mean!) photos of folk who never know they are part of someone else's art. What if it were blown up huge and put in a gallery?

[ 29. August 2015, 08:41: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

... and sold for money?

Yes, probably worth a thread in Purgatory: not sure I have the energy for it though, so feel free to go ahead if you'd like to start a discussion and I may chip in.

I've had sufficient energy this morning to go shopping and bring back Neapolitan ice cream from [supermarket], which I thought had disappeared forever years ago. The next thing I'll be trying to track down, apart from coffee ice cream, is those "ice cream sandwiches" you used to be able to get, a simple block of vanilla between two wafers, hopelessly messy and drippy but part of summer fun.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

One of the popular sorts of ice cream over here is something called which is basically wedge shaped slices of a ball of ice cream covered in nuts. The ball has concentric spheres of strawberry, vanilla and then either chocolate of pistachio ice cream as the outer layer - it's a sort of take on Neapolitan. Apparently the real thing also involves liqueur soaked sponge but the stuff here is quite pleasant.

Apparently, again, it has [or may have] a long involved history dating back to the Muslim rule of Sicily in the 10th Century.

I don't really care for the history so much as I care for the ice cream!

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

The next thing I'll be trying to track down, apart from coffee ice cream, is those "ice cream sandwiches" you used to be able to get, a simple block of vanilla between two wafers, hopelessly messy and drippy but part of summer fun.

I can help with coffee ice cream as I'm always on the hunt for it too.
Waitrose has 2 versions; a creamy coffee and an intense one. The intense coffee ice cream is fandabidozi , check it out!

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just back from a lovely week in Italy, walking along the Cinque Terre coast. It ended with a meal last night that included crayfish hanging on sticks of celery. To this vegetarian it looked like something out of Quatermass and the Pit.
Hope the jet lag has improved Le Roc.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It was an absolutely glorious day here - high of 24° and not too humid. I must confess I didn't really take advantage of it; while D. played for a wedding (they really couldn't have wished for better weather) I went shopping (but, sadly, indoors). I came back with a pair of slightly whimsical trousers (they're sort of stretchy jeans, but with a leaf pattern in a paler denim colour); and CHOCOLATE bought with the remains of my Hostly Offering - thank you again, Uncle Pete! [Smile]

As you may have gathered, the Goddess muse didn't put in an appearance ... [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Sarasa: Hope the jet lag has improved Le Roc.
Thank you yes, I'm much better. Had a very nice walk through Byo yesterday. I think I'm going to do it again today [Smile]

--------------------

marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So we finally managed to have some kind of a house warming - I invited my home group around for lunch after church and we fitted 12 people and a couple of children in our living room! Also, people brought food so I only needed to make a key lime pie (super easy and yummy) and buy some cheese, everyone else brought the rest of the food. I could only fit in two bowls of pudding, and I don't think I'm going to have much room for tea either...

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I went out for lunch today to a Dutch pancake restaurant. They do things other than pancakes as well and one of the specials was the Indonesian nasi goreng, which I hadn't had before. What a revelation - spiced fried rice with bits of meat and onions, a fried egg (which went well with the rice), chicken satay with peanut sauce, prawn crackers, pickles, and a red chilli dip. Unfortunately it was a bank holiday special so only available for the weekend, but I'd certainly order that again.

Assuming I get the chance, anyway: I don't think I've ever seen an Indonesian restaurant in Britain and Malaysian is also hard to find.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Haha, that's more or less the only dish from the Netherlands (it's actually Indonesian) that I miss sometimes.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My late granddad very much preferred plain meals and didn't like spicy food at all, but he did like nasi goreng and would eat regularly in Belgium where he was living at the time. I don't know whether he ever managed to find it when he came back to the UK (although you can get the spice mix in Sainsburys).

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
My late granddad very much preferred plain meals and didn't like spicy food at all, but he did like nasi goreng and would eat regularly in Belgium where he was living at the time. I don't know whether he ever managed to find it when he came back to the UK (although you can get the spice mix in Sainsburys).

My m-i-l used to make a very good nasi goreng. They came across it when in Singapore in the 'sixties so I wonder if your granddad served "East East" with one or other of the armed forces? My dad got a taste for seriously hot curries in Ceylon (as it was in the early 1950's).

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There is a café in Whitechapel Library that serves Malaysian food and nasi goreng is on the menu. They did mee rebus as a special once and I liked that even more, but I haven't seen it again since. I eat many of the dishes with lots of chilli and come back for more, rather than complaining like many of the customers, so they remember me.

I am not sure taking a bike to Wales to get back into cycling was the bestest idea. After four days of cycling for at least 3 or 4 hours a day with full panniers, bits of me are a bit tender. Not helped by the number of stairs I carried the laden bike up and down to get home late last night.

The weather in Wales was dry and sunny, unlike the downpours I rode through on my way through London on my way home last night and way out on Wednesday.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I shouldn't imagine taking a bike to Wales would be a good idea at all - it does go up and down rather a lot ... [Big Grin]

We sang a new anthem this evening called Day by Day, based on the text by St. Richard of Chichester. The music was composed by a bloke who was D's organ scholar when we were in Belfast - it's a lovely, simple but not banal little piece rather in the style of John Rutter, but in a good way*. There was much Decanal Grinning™.

* as opposed to the sort of piece that once led someone (I can't remember who) to say, "I can't believe it's not Rutter".
[Killing me]

--------------------

moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

It's Bank Holiday Monday - which of course means rain! Fortunately my plans for today involve slouching around in pyjamas, basically as a last hurrah/protest before work starts back tomorrow.

I'm currently enjoying some lunch, including the avocado that I randomly found on the train last week!

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I have walked round three packed shops and not looked at one shelf or bought a thing. Twiglet needs to get used to crowds. She was a star, at only 14 weeks old. I use the 'look at me' cue for her when silly folk click at her and call her, she ignored them all [Angel]

It's rather enjoyable buying nothing, walking past all the long queues and out of the door. We then went to watch traffic for half an hour too as she was showing signs of being rather traffic shy, which will not do at all considering her future career. She got bored, laid down and went to sleep - mission accomplished and all before the rain started!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Traditional bank holiday weather here, too. Not really the weather to be looking round gardens, and it the last day of summer, too.

I can hardly believe tomorrow is September and the start of autumn. The place already has an autumn feel to it with leaves coming down, fields already harvested, the summer shows mostly over and the evenings drawing in. Soon the first autumn funfairs will start to appear: St Giles' Fair in Oxford will be in a week from now, and the season of summer fruits and ice cream will give way to candy floss, toffee apples and burgers, while the sound of enthusiastic birds singing in the trees will be drowned out by earsplitting music with a massive bass beat. Ah well.

Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I can hardly believe tomorrow is September and the start of autumn. The place already has an autumn feel to it with leaves coming down, fields already harvested, the summer shows mostly over and the evenings drawing in.

To me it's felt like autumn since early/mid August. Summer seemed to start early, but then just evaporate.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We've been treking round unknown parts of North London looking at areas our son could move to when he starts a new job in a couple of week.
It was bucketing it down, so I dragged son and husband into a rather nice Turkish restaurant for lunch. They were brilliant at providing lots of nice vegetarian things for us. It also involved beer, and I was intending to lay off the alcohol for a while.....

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:

My m-i-l used to make a very good nasi goreng. They came across it when in Singapore in the 'sixties so I wonder if your granddad served "East East" with one or other of the armed forces? My dad got a taste for seriously hot curries in Ceylon (as it was in the early 1950's).
He only served in Europe, mainly in Belgium itself (in the Royal Engineers). I think the dish drifted into Flanders from the Netherlands like LeRoc mentioned upthread. It would have been my Flemish gran cooking, so probably not quite as hot as the authentic thing.

The trick was to get him to eat a dish before telling him the ingredients.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  ...  58  59  60 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016