homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Various Islands in the North Atlantic (Page 46)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  ...  58  59  60 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Various Islands in the North Atlantic
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had a mooch round Borough Market yesterday. I do enjoy seeing what's on offer - we also went for lunch at Southwark Cathedral, which is relatively quiet, though not offering things such as ostrich burgers.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm far to polite to ask how you burger an ostrich, so I won't.

[Two face]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had a lovely day yesterday. I had to take Mr B to an appointment 40 miles away; while he was occupied I had a lovely indulgent cup of coffee, ands bit of a wander round some shops, then after I collected him we went into town for lunch. That was followed by a spot of clothes shopping - I'm hopeless at finding things that suit me, but he's great at it, and far more generous than I would be too! [Big Grin]

All that was followed by a fun choir practice, as we have some big singing to do on Sunday morning (I was Glad, and Stanford's Jubilate in Bb).

All in all, that was the best day I've had in such a long time! A real treat to have a whole day together, and although we had to be back for the Opuses, with them both being in high school now the day is a bit longer, and there's no longer the same need to be home straight away [Smile]

I'm now being brought marshmallows which have been toasted over tea lights. Yum! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

[Two face]

I think you probably need to stand on a box, for starters...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Killing me]

Boogie, I think the sky-walk thingy should go in the "rather you than me" file ... [Eek!] For some reason though part of me wouldn't mind trying the Tower Bridge one.

I'm in mid-domesticity at the moment: a friend gave us a bag of plums from his garden and as neither of us is hugely wild about them, I decided to turn them into chutney, à la Delia (the recipe in the Cookery Course was for plums, with damsons as an option).

I've never tried making chutney before, so it may be an interesting experience, especially as I had to guesstimate the sort of sugar to use (they call it by different names over here) and use Granny Smith apples as they don't seem to sell cooking apples here.

I'll let you know in three months how it went ... [Paranoid]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
We did that over the Grand Canyon!

What! You were in Arizona and didn't have a Shipmeet?
[Waterworks]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I now appear to be the proud possessor of eight jars of spiced plum chutney - better hope it tastes nice.

I did take a tiny taste of some that dripped as I was putting it in the jars, and it didn't seem too bad, considering that it's supposed to be left for three months.

We'll see ...

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Piglet, I've made that chutney to use a glut of damson like plums. (My parents had a tree; one summer whenever I visited I was handed 10lb or more for a few weeks. And windfall apples.) I reckoned it was definitely worth making again.

Those plums also made a really good damson style jam, which was quicker. Making the chutney meant removing the stones, which left my fingers wrinkled like prunes for days. Making the jam for us we skimmed out the stones from the boiled fruit and didn't worry too much if we had to avoid them occasionally in the finished jam. (They stayed a contrasting golden against the deep purple.)

There was a short cut to removing the stones we eventually found - freezing the plums then defrosting made it much easier.

(eta change them to then!)

(It would be easier if I didn't have a fingertip that looks like a damson plum this morning - it got trapped in a folding table yesterday.)

[ 13. September 2015, 07:37: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
quote:

[Two face]

I think you probably need to stand on a box, for starters...

AG

Do I admit I have a cousin who probably knows.

He is also the sort of person who only contacts family when he wants something. A couple of decades ago he was in the country giving talks on artificial insemination of ostriches (he's a vet) and my father was rather worried he would make contact for help.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Went to Bath for lunch on Friday, which was nice; today I watched a parade commemorating the Battle of Britain, with a Spitfire fly-past. I'd expected there would be several planes, but there was only one, which did a couple of loops (you could tell the pilot was enjoying himself) and then went away.

It was actually quite beautiful and moving and served as a reminder that sometimes, only one plane did manage to come back from a mission.

It seems hard to believe that was 75 years ago, and those little planes are still able to fly. I'm glad I've seen it: I always wanted to see a real Spitfire in the air and get a sense of what it was like.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
We did that over the Grand Canyon!

What! You were in Arizona and didn't have a Shipmeet?
[Waterworks]

It was before my days on the Ship Pigwidgeon [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Piglet, I've made that chutney to use a glut of damson ...

No no no no no. [Disappointed]

Damsons are for making damson GIN, and it's far less hassle - the only time-consuming bit is pricking the damsons with a darning-needle (IME best done while listening to the classified football results). Add sugar and GIN, leave till just before Christmas, strain and bottle.

Memo to self: must see if I can find any damsons ...

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That presupposes that you already have an adequate stock of GIN.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, we made damson gin, sloe gin and I've made cranberry gin (comes out a glowing red), but this tree dumped something like 100lbs that year. It wasn't a damson tree, just produced little damson like plums. And there are limits to the amount of gin bottles we were prepared to shake/roll daily for three months.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Why limit yourself to gin? I got hold of something called Pure Polish Spirit (!) and it made a wonderful slivovitz.

As for the container turning, if you keep the stuff somewhere handy where every member of the family passes daily (more or less) then the turns are done painlessly.

My nearest and dearest wouldn't know what had hit them if they didn't get the Advent offering from me of red fruit spirit and homemade after dinner mints to get them through the pre-Christmas run-up.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh lor', the only person I ever knew who used to drink Polish Pure Spirit was an undergraduate with me and used to have a quick slug before supervisions. Not good!
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Having gin-ed and vodka-ed damson-sized plums, I've now got a batch of wine on the go.
Next weekend the grapes should be juicy enough to start some grape wine.
Some more serious de-cluttering of the booze cupboard is needed so I can store it when it's bottled up.

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
That presupposes that you already have an adequate stock of GIN.

That's easily sorted, and if you're going to damson it, it can be cheap old headlamp-polishing GIN. It's the damsons that are hard to get. They do grow here, but I'm not sure where exactly, and the only place I've seen them for sale was at a farm shop in Deer Lake, which is about eight hours' drive away.

I've heard that a shop in town sometimes sells them; I'll be keeping my eyes peeled.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was Guide Dog owner Robin's funeral today. Guide dogs and pups formed a guard of honour. Twiglet is second from the left, she was the youngest there. Dogs lined both sides of the road. It was the saddest sight seeing GD Gig following his daddy's coffin.

See Twiglet's blog below.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Aaahh, what a lovely send-off. RIP Robin. [Votive] What happens to Gig now - does he retire, or will he go to work with someone else?

We fitted a new (and cost-free) adornment to the Pigletmobile today: a "cherished" number-plate. Here in Newfoundland cars only have to have a number-plate on the back, and you can put what you like on the front, so people sometimes put on amusing plates, or Saint-Pierre-Miquelon ones, or British ones ...

When cherished numbers became fashionable in the 1970s, my dad bought the number BS 2852 (an early Orkney number), which had been on a tractor belonging to a friend. He kept it for all his four subsequent cars (a Volvo, two Citroens and a Vauxhall something-or-other), and when he stopped driving he re-registered his last car before passing it on to my nephew. He kept the actual plates though, and gave the front one to me as a keepsake, and we've finally got round to having it fitted to the Pigletmobile.

So now we have not only the cutest car in Newfoundland, but with the coolest front number plate ... [Cool]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

On Saturday the weather people predicted a wet weekend followed by a dry spell for a few days then more rain.

The weekend was dry and sunny and now, the day we have a guest arriving, the rain has returned!

We hope to get the jeep back today otherwise we will be collecting our guest by taxi - they discovered that the clutch was past its best so, before putting it all back together, they replaced that as well, entirely sensible under the circumstances. I'll try to not to cry too loudly as I pay the bill.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Aaahh, what a lovely send-off. RIP Robin. [Votive] What happens to Gig now - does he retire, or will he go to work with someone else?

He will be matched with a new owner, as he's only young.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just back from a weekend camping in Creamtealand. A creamtea was just about the only thing we didn't do or have! After we found the site* (having traversed most of the lanes in the South Hams) we went to the seaside, looked at boats in the harbour, had our wallets conclusively hoovered by shops in Totnes, had a ride on the South Devon Railway (Buckfastleigh to Totnes) and, the highlight, dinner on Saturday at a restaurant between Totnes and Buckfastleigh (name withheld to avoid prohibition on advertising). Oh, it rained every night, so hard that some came in, but not hard enough to ruin the holiday.

*"site" consisted of decently cut field with a cold water tap, and in a barn a sink and a loo in a cubicle. Pleased to say the latter was clean.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Glad you had a good time, SS - it sounds like hell on earth to me, but I'm a piglet who likes her creature comforts ... [Hot and Hormonal]

It's been tipping down rain here all day today; they were forecasting in the region of two inches of rain, which is quite a lot for these parts.

--------------------

Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was gloriously sunny here this morning, so I smugly put my washing on the line before coming to w*rk. In conversation I discovered that the forecast was for heavy rain from late morning, due to last the rest of the day. Fortunately it hasn't started wetting yet, so I'm hoping it holds off just until I go home for lunch...

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm with Piglet - camping's definitely not my thing. But the South Devon Railway is lovely.

Meanwhile, the rain, it raineth muchly.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our day was spent helping to clean and paint the church hall [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

My faithful steam cleaner and I have steamed floors, tiles, sinks and I don't know what-all - I'm exhausted, how Chris (Ewbank!) the steam cleaner feels I can only guess [Help]

I suppose even if the kitchen doesn't look any cleaner, it is cleaner - but oh, my stars. To think a playgroup runs there [Help] [Help] [Help] Still I suppose the kiddies' immune systems must be pretty hot stuff!

Mrs. S, all steamed out

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We now seem to have exchanged rain for wind - the trees behind our house were shaking about a fair bit this afternoon, and the cruise ship that was due to dock in St. John's tomorrow's been cancelled. One of Life's Little Mysteries™ is why the cruise-ship season coincides so neatly with the Atlantic hurricane season ... [Confused]

We had a big ship in today - the Aida Diva - which, according to my FB contacts, was in Orkney last week. It meant that we had a big crowd of German tourists at D's recital, who seemed to enjoy it.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

It has been raining muchly here, too but dry at the moment.

Back to last week and the pectin debate - our guest says that cooking apples generally have a higher pectin content than eaters. If you can't get Bramleys there can you get another eating apple?

Might be worth a try next year.

--------------------

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
We now seem to have exchanged rain for wind - the trees behind our house were shaking about a fair bit this afternoon, and the cruise ship that was due to dock in St. John's tomorrow's been cancelled. One of Life's Little Mysteries™ is why the cruise-ship season coincides so neatly with the Atlantic hurricane season ... [Confused]

We had a big ship in today - the Aida Diva - which, according to my FB contacts, was in Orkney last week. It meant that we had a big crowd of German tourists at D's recital, who seemed to enjoy it.

My MiL is, as I type, crossing the Atlantic by cruise ship, to cruise down the East coast of North America to Haiti and then cross the Atlantic again. As you say, in hurricane season? Why?!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Is she due to dock in St. John's? [Smile]

Re: the pectin thing, I must confess I just bought Granny Smiths as I thought they'd be nearest in taste to cooking apples. I hadn't really thought about pectin content, but it may well have made a difference. I must give the jars a wiggle and see if it's thickening up at all; I suppose there may be a little evaporation ...

In other news, I was saddened today to hear of the death of Sir David Willcocks, the co-author of the Carols for Choirs series, and composer of most of the Correct Descants™*. I never met him, but I understand he was a true gentleman.

RIP. [Votive]

* Others have tried, but really, if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Dormouse: My MiL is, as I type, crossing the Atlantic by cruise ship, to cruise down the East coast of North America to Haiti and then cross the Atlantic again.
She's probably going to Labadee? I spent quite some time in Northern Haiti, but I've only seen the cruise ships from afar.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
It has been raining muchly here, too but dry at the moment.

Back to last week and the pectin debate - our guest says that cooking apples generally have a higher pectin content than eaters. If you can't get Bramleys there can you get another eating apple?

Might be worth a try next year.

Canadians have their very own MacIntoshes. Tart, sour, sweet, makes good pies, great for canning, also wonderful for just grabbing one and snacking. It's high season, now! [Axe murder]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Too late ... [Frown]

I'll bear them in mind if I do it again though - I never associated Mackintoshes with the mouth-puckering sourness of Bramley cooking apples, so it never occurred to me to use them.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not exactly mouth-puckering, but tart with a hint of sweetness. It reminds me of me, actually. [Biased]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I don't find Bramley apples that sour. I nibble on wedges raw when I'm cooking with them. But then I peel and eat grapefruit like oranges from choice and have occasionally done the same to lemons. I also like the hot and sour lime pickle straight from the jar on a spoon, which is why there is never any at home.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
In other news, I was saddened today to hear of the death of Sir David Willcocks, the co-author of the Carols for Choirs series, and composer of most of the Correct Descants™*. I never met him, but I understand he was a true gentleman.

RIP. [Votive]

* Others have tried, but really, if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it.

My claim to fame - I was in the same class as his daughter Sarah at the Perse junior school in Cambridge (no, I never met him, sadly)

Mrs. S, pondering how long ago THAT was!

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Granny Smith's are not the best cooking apples, but if they are all that's available, choose the greenest ones.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
the mouth-puckering sourness of Bramley cooking apples,

It puzzles me that commercially produced Bramley apples seem to be sold in a very unripe state. We have had Bramley apple trees, and as we couldn't reach the topmost fruit it always developed a rosy blush, and made a good, tart eater as well as a cooker. Certainly not mouth-puckeringly sour and not, to our tastebuds, in need of sugar iwhen used in cooking.
I guess they are not good enough keepers when riper, we found the skins went greasy and yellowish after a couple of months in store so probably wouldn't sell well. They still ate & cooked OK though.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
Granny Smith's are not the best cooking apples, but if they are all that's available, choose the greenest ones.

Moo

Down here Granny Smiths are cooking apples. Pretty well everything else is sweet. They were first used not far from my childhood home. Not a developed Apple, but a sport. After it was found cuttings etc saw it develop. This is in nineteenth century, I think. Haven't looked it up.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I cook any apple otherwise my skin itches. It also means I can freeze them which is a bonus because I've never had much success storing them uncooked. I have a Bramley which is doing really well this year (last year it only bore 3 fruit because I had pruned it wrong), and a neighbour has a Russet which is also doing really well. I suspect that in the next couple of weeks I'll be investigating apple chutney, jam and wine recipes as the freezer is now full.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
...tart... It reminds me of me, actually. [Biased]

I am not sure that any further comment is really needed, is it?

--------------------

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Orange drizzle cake, anybody?

(And I've had a productive day working from home as well... the cake took minutes to put together).

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I’ll take some of that cake, please. Preferably with a nice hot cup of tea. And then I shall retreat under the duvet with both of the above.

Today I taught my (French) colleagues that “the rain it raineth every day” comes from Shakespeare. Top Parisian fashion accessories at the minute are a pair of wellies, a cagoule and a big Mary Poppins umbrella.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been dressed for the weather with a rain jacket and sunglasses, t-shirt and thick jumper. Should be adequate for most eventualities.

quote:
Originally posted by Ferijen:
Orange drizzle cake, anybody?

YES PLEASE

I love orange cake. When I go to Stratford I always try to come home with a slice of chocolate orange cake from my favourite teashop. It seems really difficult to find orange cake of any description in the usual supermarkets. Which is odd as I'd have thought more people would prefer it to lemon.

They used to do a delicious orange sponge cake in the teashop at Broughton Castle near Banbury, a homemade one which you got a huge wedge of and which really tasted of orange, but I think that went along with the old furnishings when they revamped the place.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tomorrow I'm going to buy autumn clothes for the first time in 20 years. Wish me luck.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's the changeability of the weather that's confusing. It was positively balmy earlier; now I'm sat under a duvet watching the rain and thinking of putting the kettle on.

Paid a visit to a local garden centre today in order to buy wool. Also purchased: cooking apples for jam making, two books and cake. But no plants [Paranoid]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I've been dressed for the weather with a rain jacket and sunglasses, t-shirt and thick jumper. Should be adequate for most eventualities.

Take sunglasses and an umbrella everywhere [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I do that. This is England, after all.

Went out for an ice cream at lunchtime today and felt a bit of a twit eating it while wrapped up in various layers, umbrella within easy reach, but it was nice (salted caramel, haven't tried that before).

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
... It was positively balmy earlier; now I'm sat under a duvet watching the rain and thinking of putting the kettle on ...

Our weather seems to be doing the opposite: at the moment it's 5° and it's forecast to be 21° on Saturday and 24° (but feeling like 30) on Sunday. I'll join you in that cup of tea though ... [Big Grin]

Why can't we have temperatures like that when I'm at w*rk where there's air-conditioning, rather than on Sundays when I'm in church* and wearing a surplice, which is the most efficient piece of insulation known to man?

* especially if some blithering idiot has turned the heating on ... [Mad]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  ...  58  59  60 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016