homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Various Islands in the North Atlantic (Page 48)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  ...  58  59  60 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Various Islands in the North Atlantic
moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Goodness me, work has been busy - and I've missed being on the ship! Still, the new class are gradually getting settled, and did a lovely job of their assembly today.

Names...hmm. I'm not fussed on Ms v. Miss, but it's taken me several weeks to train my class that I am in fact Miss. ____, not Mrs. _____. Their previous teacher and their TA are both Mrs, so having a Miss is a bit new for them. Still, I think we're finally there. Just about.

My first name is also something I'm a bit fussy on - it's Jess or Jessica, never Jessy. As our new member of staff found out when he tried Jessy earlier this week....

In other news, thank goodness it's Friday!!

--------------------
All I know is that you came and made beauty from my mess.

Posts: 180 | From: Just outside the M25 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
My sisters in law always called my mum and dad just mum and dad.

So did my late brother-in-law, who was a supremely easy-going sort of bloke*; it wouldn't have occurred to me to address my in-laws like that. D. always called my parents by their Christian names, even though when we started dating my dad was actually his boss. [Eek!]

* if you knew my sister you'd see why this was a Good Thing ... [Devil]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I call my in laws by their first names, but more normally now, as grandma and grandad. My grandmother in law (still alive but lost to dementia for many years) was always just grandma though. Mr F tries to avoid calling my grandad anything as both grandad and his first name sound odd...

I'm a proud Ms, don't mind a Miss, really hate Mrs. Though I'm married, I never use my husband's name, so if someone spammy rings me up asking for Mrs Husbandslastname, I can honestly say no, no one of that name at this address.

I like it even more when someone rings up asking for Mr mylastname [Snigger]

Making the Christmas cake here today, I think (Facebook tells me two days later than last year) and the local church has a scarecrow festival. Weather forecaster has just used the words pleasantly warm for today, so hope you all enjoy it...

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My son got married in June and has taken his wife's name. Which is much nicer than our name so I approve [Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A great friend of mine was/is a mental health nurse, and when she went to work at a secure unit she was the first female nurse they had had. When asked her name, she replied 'Call me Linda'. The patients really could not get their heads round that, so they called her 'Mr. Linda'. [Killing me]

Mercifully we have known SiL's family for ever so Christian names all round is really easy [Cool]

Mrs. S, preparing to become Grandma Susie [Yipee]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ferijen:
Making the Christmas cake here today, I think (Facebook tells me two days later than last year) and the local church has a scarecrow festival

So early? How often do you feed it?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
A great friend of mine was/is a mental health nurse, and when she went to work at a secure unit she was the first female nurse they had had. When asked her name, she replied 'Call me Linda'. The patients really could not get their heads round that, so they called her 'Mr. Linda'. [Killing me]

Mercifully we have known SiL's family for ever so Christian names all round is really easy [Cool]

Mrs. S, preparing to become Grandma Susie [Yipee]

Years ago my then husband used to take several people from a halfway house to church on Sundays. They would then come home for lunch each week. Many were of RC background so they called him Father although he was not ordained anywhere. That left a problem. What to call me? I became Mrs Father and they were all satisfied.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I should have thought that to RCs the concept of "Mrs. Father" would have been quite challenging ... [Big Grin]

Nice Saturday spent making soup for tomorrow's lunch, doing laundry and lazing about. Just after dark, we went for a drive up Signal Hill, where the moon was getting ready for tomorrow's super-moon thingy by being very bright, slipping behind a bank of clouds but leaving a beautiful silver lining and casting wonderful, almost eerie spotlights on the water.

It's rather cold (3° at the moment) tonight: as we were coming home, it started to hail ... [Waterworks]

Forecast to be 23° on Tuesday though - if you don't like the weather here, just wait for a bit.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I should have thought that to RCs the concept of "Mrs. Father" would have been quite challenging ... [Big Grin]

My thoughts too, but they weren't worried.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good morning! Anyone else been listening to this weirdly fascinating 8-hour Radio 3 broadcast, a piece called 'Sleep'? Longest non stop-live piece on the station!

I tuned into the Radio 4 News at 7am, and then felt uninspired by 'Sunday' and hordes of screaming US Pope fans, then neary fell off my chair (asleep? In surprise!) after a few minutes with Radio 3. Makes you want to go back to sleep again right away, this peacefully hypnotic piece. Unique! (I guess they'll put it on iPlayer)

Tea anyone? Coffee available, too!

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:
Making the Christmas cake here today, I think (Facebook tells me two days later than last year) and the local church has a scarecrow festival

So early? How often do you feed it?
I aim to use up a lot of brandy [Smile] usually once a week, when I remember. A few years ago, I made a second, and it was fine a year later.

However, it didn't get done yesterday, maybe today...

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
... the local church has a scarecrow festival.

Sounds like fun - I went to one during the summer and was surprised at how imaginative some of the entries were. I haven't found out which won, though.

Today I went shopping in Stratford on Avon, and just as I was leaving, discovered a group of people celebrating the birthday of the Hindu god Ganesh on the banks of the Avon, with music and drumming, so I stayed to watch that for a bit. When I politely asked them what was going on they were very happy to explain, showed me the Ganesh in the car, and took me into the tent to see the centrepiece. He is the god of prosperity and luck so I'm hoping a little of that will come my way in the coming days.

Ganesh was then respectfully installed in a waiting boat and the idea was, I believe to immerse him in the river. As luck would have it my parking permit ran out literally five minutes before I could see this happen, but now that I know to look out for the immersion I'll try to catch it next year.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In Mumbai I believe they immerse the images in the sea!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Today I have filled in my online application for my right to remain here in India and have 90 days to appear at the local office with two copies of the printed form, duly signed, and originals and two copies of all the supporting documents - the originals I just show to the rather nice man who does all this and leave him with the copies. They attempt to make a decision within 60 days but he told me there's a backlog in Delhi so it may take longer so I have decided to go on Wednesday, submit it all and then forget it until they call me to ask for the money and I shall just get on with my life until they do so.

We had a great time at the boat racing in town today - Henley it ain't! We also had lunch out - I deliberately had a light lunch then this evening I was going to have a little supper - that plateful was not little! Now I'm stuffed!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've had a lovely relaxing weekend too. Gentle pottering, a bit of laundry, but mostly nothing much yesterday, This afternoon Mr B and I have taken dogs Fluffy & Scruffy for a short walk, and I've picked up a basket full of twigs, sticks, and pine cones ready for lighting fires with my Brownies this week. [Smile] the house now has a rather pungent aroma of pine resin, having dried the cones in the oven for the past hour, but worse things happen at sea! [Biased]

I should go for a run with Op2 if she's finished her homework, then a quick supper and into the dreaded Sunday night get-the-girls-ready-for-the-next-week routine... [Roll Eyes]

[ 27. September 2015, 16:22: Message edited by: Beethoven ]

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've had a super afternoon. I took Twiglet to meet a lot of Guide Dog owners and their dogs. We met online and them organised a Ship-style meet. It was a great success and Twiglet had eight excellent, mature role models to learn from.

She was a real star! We had a walk round the park and the dogs ran free three at a time. My, they can let their fur down when not working! They hurtled round the fields! Twiglet was confident and doing whole-body wags the whole time, but she stayed close to me so she didn't need her lead.

A great time was had by all, next time we will do the same and go for a meal afterwards. Making new friends is fun (Twiglet agrees!) [Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Today I went shopping in Stratford on Avon, and just as I was leaving, discovered a group of people celebrating the birthday of the Hindu god Ganesh on the banks of the Avon, with music and drumming, so I stayed to watch that for a bit. When I politely asked them what was going on they were very happy to explain, showed me the Ganesh in the car, and took me into the tent to see the centrepiece. He is the god of prosperity and luck so I'm hoping a little of that will come my way in the coming days.

Ganesh was then respectfully installed in a waiting boat and the idea was, I believe to immerse him in the river. As luck would have it my parking permit ran out literally five minutes before I could see this happen, but now that I know to look out for the immersion I'll try to catch it next year.

I knew something Ganesh-y was coming up as my Dad mentioned it. He's been to Paris a couple of times as they have a large temple dedicated to Ganesh there, and he was complaining that he was too late to book. I suspect it's really an excuse for a mini-break [Biased]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Beethoven:
... lighting fires with my Brownies ...

By rubbing two of them together? [Big Grin]

(I'll see myself out).

When we got home after Evensong I made a beef casserole for consumption later in the week, which is bubbling merrily as I type. I'll add the mushrooms in a wee while, and then we're going out to see if we can see this super-moon (although I suspect there may be too much cloud - D. has just gone out to have a recce to see if anything's happening).

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am often awake at 1 am or 3 am (or both) so last night I got up and raised the blind to see if I could see the moon's eclipse.

I had entirely forgotten that without my lenses I have the eyesight of a mole [Killing me] so while I thought could see the moon as a crescent, it also looked as if there were four others dotting the sky - a bit like those lines from (I think) the Scottish play -

'My lord, they say five moons were seen tonight:
Four fixed, and the fifth did whirl the other four
In wondrous motion'

Mrs. S, utterly dependent on her contacts

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
I knew something Ganesh-y was coming up as my Dad mentioned it. He's been to Paris a couple of times as they have a large temple dedicated to Ganesh there, and he was complaining that he was too late to book. I suspect it's really an excuse for a mini-break [Biased]

I don't blame him, it looked like a good occasion. Next time I'll try to see the immersion. The Ganesh in the car was very smart, with his beautiful pearl trousers, red garland and matching nail varnish - not sure if he was intended for immersion.
Diomedes
Shipmate
# 13482

- Posted      Profile for Diomedes   Email Diomedes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We live in an Essex seaside town - the one with a very long pier - and the Hindu community hold the Ganesh Chaturthi ceremony on the beach. It's a hugely popular occasion with coachloads of visitors, lots of wonderful food and music. The town has always been popular with day-trippers and Ganesh is also very welcome! For weeks afterwards the tide washes up fragments of cloth, beads, bangles and little figurines. One year found an exquisite little Ganesh made of glass and bought him home. I always wonder if perhaps I should have left him in the waves.

--------------------
Distrust simple answers to complicated questions

Posts: 129 | From: Essex England | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I managed to get a bit of a tan on Saturday! That's quite a feat for Kent in late September.

Completed another leg of the North Downs Way. Had intended to do 12 miles but due to some dodgy signs, I think I ended up doing a half marathon. Loads of daddy long legs about in the fields, as well as pheasants and partridges by the dozen.

Found the most delightful little spot just northwest of Sevenoaks.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On Saturday we went to Ikea. As you do (when you need inexpensive home furnishings and don’t mind having exactly the same stuff in your house that everyone else has).

Ikea are sly, as we all know, and make you walk right round the whole shop before you get to the check-out, so that you end up leaving with a load of stuff that you had not the slightest intention of buying when you arrived. Mostly we did quite well and just picked up a couple of oven gloves in addition to our original list. Until… we walk through the children’s section and I see a lovely cuddly toy panda and go “Aaaaaaaaaaaw, loooook, it’s so cute” and husband en rouge decides to buy it for me. Bless. I am very chuffed with my present.

In the car on the way back we were reminiscing about some of our more over-the-top and/or absurd Pentecostal memories on the subject of which we have turned into cynical backslidden old reprobates. Old-school Pentecostals are familiarly (if rather irreverently) known round our way as les pan-pan. A secondary topic of conversation was the fact that the impulse-buy cuddly toy mentioned above needed a name.

Ladies and gentleman: meet Pan-pan the Pentecostal panda. (It sounds better in French: Pan-pan le panda de la Pentecôte. Pronounce all the –en, -an sounds as –on.)

Are you believing for a miracle tonight, brothers and sisters? Are you believing for the gift of tongues? Do you need healing in your body? Why don’t you come down the front here and brother Pan-pan will lay paws on you. That panda is anointed. [Snigger]

We’re gonna get struck by lightning.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I happened to wake up in the early hours, noticed the lack of moonlight and looked out - there was the red moon. I got a great photo of it!

Here it is [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Nice one, Boogie! Sadly, all the action here happened before the clouds decided to disperse, so by the time we could actually see the moon, it was boringly white. [Disappointed]

La Vie, don't be embarrassed about your panda - one can never have too many bears. [Smile]

As for Ikea stuff being the same as everyone else's, I just wish ...

Piglet, whose nearest Ikea is 1500 miles away [Frown]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I went to Oxford and to Stratford-upon-Avon for the first time this weekend. Very nice.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm a bit excited as I started packing today- on Saturday we're flitting back to the UK for three weeks for our youngest daughter's wedding. Oldest daughter and family are flying in from New Zealand- it will be the first time all of us (two other daughters and family too) will have been together for almost 6 years.
As youngest daughter has just passed her 5th anniversary of being in remission from cancer it's all a bit poignant.
Just hope it isn't too cold as it will be a bit of a shock to the system coming straight from Africa....

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good weather here till the weekend so they say Mrs Beaky. Warm, 20 or so in the day, chilly nights.
So celebrate! [Yipee]

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Went round to my allotment plot this evening and discovered that someone had stolen one of my lavender bushes, leaving a gap in what would otherwise have been a nice hedge. They just pulled it up and went off with it.

With hindsight this explains why I was short of courgettes recently and possibly why I've had nothing but green tomatoes for a long time. I don't think there's anything I can do, but if this keeps up and more plants disappear I won't renew in the spring.

A bummer as I've just planted rhubarb which I love and I don't think I can grow that indoors in a pot.

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I went to Oxford and to Stratford-upon-Avon for the first time this weekend. Very nice.

Excellent - two of my favourite towns.
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You could try poison ivy--rather ornamental. Or cacti. Or put up a small sign, beware of snakes. Even a nice beehive would do.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Ariel, that sucks great festering goose-balls - why would anyone want to pinch a lavender bush? Actually now I think about it, I'd rather like a lavender bush*, but I wouldn't half-inch someone else's.

Mrs. Beaky - safe travels, and have a wonderful time.

We took a run down to the Irish Loop Coffee House for lunch today, and shared lentil loaf, veggie quiche and salad and then a rather yummy toffee cheesecake. So much for my participation in the diet thread ... [Hot and Hormonal]

Our main excuse for going was to let the owner know that a lady who had been a regular customer had died (she and her husband were also regulars at D's organ recitals, and we'd sometimes run into them in the Coffee House). As it happened, she'd seen the notice in the paper, but we were able to give her details of the funeral, which is in the Cathedral.

We also found out that she's not closing the cafe for the winter until the end of November, so we should be able to fit in another visit before she does. [Smile]

I really must have a sensibly early night, as I stayed awake until silly-o'clock last night waiting for a lunar eclipse that had happened without me ... [Snore]

* I'm trying to grow lavender in a thing called an eco-cube, but it's still only about an inch-and-a-half high.

--------------------

MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Tree Bee and Piglet.
Ariel I'm sorry about your allotment- it leaves you feeling really bad when things like that happen.
I love England in October- this will be my first autumn in 3 years so looking forward to some lovely walks [Smile]

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ariel - Do you have an allotment commitee or something you could mention this too? When I had an allotment you needed a key to get in, but I guess yours is more open.
Mrs Beaky - That sounds great. Enjoy having all your family around you.
I had a lovely day out in Newark yesterday. A close friend lives in York and we've hit upon Newark as the ideal palce to meet to catch up. We went to the new Civil War museum. It had a powerful, but depressing photo exhibition Failing Leviathan on recent civil wars and they way they have been photographed.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Well, I've mentioned it, and there is a padlock, but I guess at busy times things like this will happen. I'll see how it goes.

In other gripes, what is it with people who hold a mobile phone in their hand about a foot away from their head and shout into it from a distance, with both sides of the conversation coming over loud and clear for everybody in the vicinity to hear? If you're offered that temporary job in Tunisia, please take it immediately.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by MrsBeaky:
... I love England in October ...

... and November. We're coming over the first three weeks of Nov. and I love places like Cambridge at that time of year, when it's cool and crisp and the trees are stark and bare along the Backs. And it's college term-time, so we can do the Cambridge Sprint - Evensong at King's, then a sprint along to St. John's and evensong there.

Possibly followed by dinner in Café Rouge ... [Yipee]

--------------------

Fredegund
Shipmate
# 17952

- Posted      Profile for Fredegund   Email Fredegund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Belatedly - also hit IKEA on Saturday, for additional lighting for Lothar I's hell-hole. (student accommodation)
We fell for the husky, which was taken to Wales and promptly kidnapped by his house-mates. I gather they've come up with a rota. Also lovely fake fur throw - which the cats refuse to sit on [Eek!]

--------------------
Pax et bonum

Posts: 117 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Must be something in the air; I'm going to Ikea on Friday for dinner. A couple of friends and I are organising an autumn-themed coffee morning and Ikea is the best place to get orange napkins and the like. A combined shopping trip and meatball-eating seems like an efficient use of time.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've never been to an IKEA [Big Grin]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There was a rather amusing segment about Ikea on last night's The Unbelievable Truth on R4.

Work is somewhat trying at the moment - I have a coupe of children in my class who seem detirmined to "solve" every problem by either screaming at each other or resorting to physical violence. Attempts to dissuade them from this are so far not succeeding. [brick wall]

That said, I have many blessings - I am enjoying seeing the sun rise as I walk to work. Yesterday was particularly glorious - "the dawn from on high shall break upon us" and all that. [Smile]

--------------------
All I know is that you came and made beauty from my mess.

Posts: 180 | From: Just outside the M25 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Possibly followed by dinner in Café Rouge ... [Yipee]

If you're able to sign up to their mailing list you can get some nice offers. I just had 30% off dinner there last week.
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ooo must check out that offer - not that there's a Cafe Rouge around here that I know of.

I am very pleased with myself - I have managed to unblock a very blocked kitchen drain without calling out a plumber [Cool] . I bought a very long wire thingy and undid a few bits under the sink, and after a bit of encouragement the block went the way it should have gone in the first place. However, in the diagnostic part of the process I had to unfit a bit of dining room carpet and remove the back of the sink unit which had been partly built over when the worktop was replaced, and then of course reverse all of that. I am so glad I could do it and save whatever a plumber charges nowadays.
Celebratory mug of Horlicks anyone?

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

The 30% offer only lasts until this Sunday, but I'll keep my eyes peeled for anything else coming up.

I shouldn't have looked at those menus - it's half-past eleven at night and now all I want in the whole world is a confit de canard. [Frown]

We're also very partial to Côte Brasserie, although we were a bit put off when we read about their non-tipping scam.

eta: Daisydaisy - [Overused]

[ 30. September 2015, 02:08: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Piglet, if you want confit de canard that badly, you could always order it through the post (although I imagine the transport to Canada might be a bit pricy [Biased] ). It is a preserved product after all. You need to get it direct from foie gras land/the South-West, where it was invented and the ducks are the tastiest.

It is generally accepted that the finest preserved duck products in the whole of foie gras land, and thus the world, are those purveyed by Rayssaguel. (Page is in French but I promise the hosts it isn’t dodgy. Well, except for one’s cholesterol.) Personally I’m not so much hankering after the confit as the magret stuffed with foie gras.

Actually we’re going to be in foie gras land this weekend but I don’t think any cruelty to ducks is in our plans. I think the plan is to go a very nice Argentine restaurant we know. The weather is supposed to be fine so we’re going to try to get a friend of ours to take us for a nice walk somewhere.

We’re mainly going because our holiday home is basically finished and we need to check everything’s ok before our first guests arrive (yay! We have our first rental!). We’re going to get the night train, which is a bit knackering but better than the day train which I hate with all of my heart and never want to take again. It takes eight hours and last time the air conditioning was broken down. You can also fly but it would have been quite a lot more expensive so the night train it is.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I checked the link and oh the food! Every where I looked I saw food. It would not get through Customs here, so my money is safe. I also checked the accommodation. The gites on that site,looked comfortable, although the single rooms to let looked cramped.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I checked it too and although I am [mainly] a veggie but with a little fish sometimes I thought it all looked fab!

I predict a comment from Piglet later.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... I predict a comment from Piglet later.

Your wish is my command. [Big Grin]

It does all look v. yummy, but I suspect it would cause conniptions with the Canadian border boffins as well. AIUI they're not quite as pernickety about food as the Australian ones* but they might draw the line at fresh, raw duck ... [Paranoid]

* Having watched numerous episodes of Border Security I can see why the Australians are as fussy as they are - all sorts of things could bring in wee beasties that would b*gger up their ecosystem.

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

No, no, no… confit is cooked by time it goes in the tin. That’s what makes it confit (means preserved, roughly). The preservative is the fat and in sealed tins/jars it keeps for ages.

But you’re probably right that the customs people might not like it.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

There was cheese on one of the pages. Only very recently has cheese been available here from non pasteurised milk and even then that is Australian made from just a couple of cheese makers.

You are right Piglet about nasties getting in. One advantage of being an island miles from anywhere. Did you know we have interstate patrols for food too? Inspectors go through trains approaching state borders and confiscate such food as honey and fruit. So there is a scramble to eat before border.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I'd probably start eating as the train left the station!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

A fellow-Brit here in Newfoundland recalls with relish the story of his having brought a bag of apples back from England and not being allowed to take them into Canada, he, his wife and sons set to and ate the lot before they could be confiscated. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  ...  58  59  60 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016