homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Various Islands in the North Atlantic (Page 52)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  ...  58  59  60 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Various Islands in the North Atlantic
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In this respect, I highly recommend employing a cleaning lady. A cleaner can’t work properly if there’s clutter everywhere so it obliges you to pick stuff up fairly frequently. The other advantage is that you don’t have to do your own cleaning [Big Grin] .

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oi! Cleaners don't have to be female (though many are).
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I could have done with Mrs. S's word the weekend before last, which was definitely spent scurryfunging. The house still isn't perfect* but it's getting better.

The carrot loaves for the Cathedral sale have now been made and will be delivered later; roll on getting it all over and done with ... [Roll Eyes]

* actually it never will be - it's far too small to be perfect. [Frown]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Might have to do some planning for a forthcoming weekend. I was going to go the MC Escher exhibition at my local gallery, but it seems to be so popular, all the tickets for the times I could make it have been taken.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Woke up this morning and the thought flashed through my mind, "What I really want right now is fish and chips and a glass of cider", swiftly followed by the realization that it was somewhere around 4.30 am. [Ultra confused]

Anyhow, many hours later, it's a cool, rapidly darkening autumn night, with drizzle coming down and leaves skirling everywhere. On such a night, you can't beat going home clutching a freshly hot package of fish and chips, the warmth leaching through the paper into your coat (probably along with the grease), and maybe dipping your fingers into the depths of the package and burning them as you sneak a few blissfully hot and savoury chips out along the way. [Big Grin]

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Ariel: Woke up this morning and the thought flashed through my mind, "What I really want right now is fish and chips and a glass of cider", swiftly followed by the realization that it was somewhere around 4.30 am. [Ultra confused]
You say this as if it's a strange thing [Big Grin]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That reminds me that in a few weeks' time we'll be able to patronise the Harbour Fry in Kirkwall, which IMHO does the best fish and chips on the planet.

[Yipee]

Carrot loaves and fudge have been delivered to the Cathedral hall for the sale, and aprons have been ironed*. It's The Done Thing to wear an apron** to serve morning coffee; mine was a present from D's mum and has pictures of historic buildings in Colchester on it, and D's was a present from the Altar Guild, with his name in cross-stitch on it.

Now I must remember to try and have an early night ... [Snore]

* We only ever wear aprons for serving morning coffee - we tend not to bother at home.

** among other things (before you ask, WW) [Snigger]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Woke up this morning and the thought flashed through my mind, "What I really want right now is fish and chips and a glass of cider".

That's exactly what we had for dinner last night (with tinned peas, and chocolate trifle to follow).
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Peas with fish and chips should, by all the laws of the land, be mushy peas!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

My wife ain't too keen on them - these were Processed, nearly as good!
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I bought fish and chips last Friday, on my way back from a concert at Maida Vale, the BBC Symphony Orchestra recording for some interesting pieces: Simon Wills' Empress of Blandings, Dan Jenkins' SRI, Richard Blackford's The Better Angels of Our Nature and John Pickard's Channel Firing, one was a world premiere and another was a UK premiere. They are all to be broadcast on Radio 3 as part of Afternoon on Three at various later dates. All with the composers present and interviewed as part of the concert. I ended up eating fish and chips walking along and some on the tube, which wasn't as nice as getting them home or eating them in a park as we used to.

Fish and chips in the park dates back to when my daughter was tiny and we lived somewhere with weekly buses. The Saturday and Wednesday bus took us to the county town, where the best chip shop in town was just down the road from a park with swings and slides. They made really good pea fritters and mushrooms in batter.

Going back to last Friday's concert, the conductor was someone I was at school with. Really at school with, we were in the same classes and tutor groups for four years, not just someone who happened to be at the same establishment during the same 5 years. Watching him now and remembering him at 12 makes for wry grins. (I didn't go and find him afterwards. I have after a previous concert, but it looked as if he was going into a huddle with the composers and it was the end of a long tiring week.)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
WW, I completely agree about mushy peas. They're the only thing to have with fish and chips!

I made it to the end of term, voice more or less in tact. My TA also lost her voice this week, so it made for an interesting classroom, with both of us communicating in whispers and post-it notes. Also got through parent's evenings well, with no problems, and then yesterday's training day was interesting, but a bit 'information overload'. I now need to go away and digest it all!

Today is being spent on the sofa, Being Ill - I've been pushing through all week, and I don't have to today, so I'm not going to.

--------------------
All I know is that you came and made beauty from my mess.

Posts: 180 | From: Just outside the M25 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The best fish and chips are eaten while dangling legs over a quayside, avoiding the seagulls of course.

Today I shall be picking grapes that an allotment neighbour has very kindly offered me - he knows I didn't have enough for wine on mine (grape jelly - mmmm) and reckons he's got enough spare for me to get a batch going. I will have to get serious about decluttering the booze stash so there is room for a few more bottles. Random cocktail anyone?

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Food always tastes better in the open air. I had what was left of my fish and chips when I got home, with lemon juice on the fish and tomato sauce on the chips. I always thought mushy peas were a Northern thing?

One thing that's gone from chip shops now which I do regret is the choice of a fish known as "rock", or "rock salmon" or "gurnard" or "gurnet". It had a large central bone down the back but was otherwise mostly boneless, and was really good eating. I suspect it probably wasn't a fish so much as a sort of eel but I'd always order it if I saw it. It's hard to tell the difference between cod and haddock - unless, I suppose, you're at the seaside and it's all freshly caught instead of deep frozen.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The last few weeks the fish of choice here seems to have been Barracuda and soon it will be back to Seerfish [Nemeen or Indian mackerel] - both are good but I think I prefer the Seerfish. Himself and Herself seem to eat a fair amount of fresh sardines, but local ones, not from anywhere near Sardinia.

ETA: having just asked, this time of year fresh sardines are just under a quid a kilo - later in the year they might get down to 50 pence! I don't like them so I eat the far more expensive fish but only have it once or perhaps twice in a week.

[ 24. October 2015, 12:47: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rock is shark, Ariel. Vulnerable types due to overfishing, which is probably why you don't see it anymore.
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Also known as dogfish, and not the same as gurnet. Well that's interesting. I hadn't expected that.
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
Well, as if life wasn't complicated enough today, Master S called at lunchtime to say that he'd asked his lovely girlfriend to marry him - and she'd said yes! [Yipee]

What lovely news! Congratulations to you all! [Yipee]

Here Mr Nen is preparing a trip away for a week and I'm preparing to enjoy having the bed to myself, eat what I want when I want it and take full control of the TV remote. [Biased]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Also known as dogfish, and not the same as gurnet. Well that's interesting. I hadn't expected that.

Gurnard is very tasty but very bony. I've only seen them at fishmongers/counters rather than fish and chip shops and you need to buy a pretty substantial one to have any flesh on it.

On the way to the theatre today I visited the Tiled Cafe at Leeds Art Gallery. Spicy sweet potato soup. Yum

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
... Simon Wills' Empress of Blandings ...

While we're name-dropping ...

D. was at university with Simon Wills, who turned up at a St. Magnus Festival in the late 80s playing the trombone in one of Peter Maxwell Davies' works. After the concert (as was our wont) we went to the Festival Club, where Simon and my dad found that they were kindred spirits (trombone-playing, drinking). We decamped to my parents' house for more drinks, and in a letter Simon sent to D. some time later he asked to be remembered to "Piglet and her dangerously hospitable parents". The expression "dangerously hospitable" has become a family in-joke.

In other news, the sale went off fairly smoothly - we were busy enough, but not exactly run off our feet, which suits me fine. The fudge sold like hot cakes (it is a bit more-ish, even though I say so myself), and after we'd done our stint, D. and I went to investigate a new café for lunch - good but not spectacular, and slightly over-priced.

Then caught up with the missed sleep from the morning, and have just taken a batch of French sticks out of the oven, part of which will be given to our friend J., who's back on a pre-radiation diet, but can eat bread as long as it's made with kosher salt, which doesn't seem to make any difference to the recipe.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

My immediate thought was to wonder how you can give away part of an oven - but then I read the rest of the sentence and it all came clear.

Himself and Herself are back on the Campaign Trail this morning - they seem to have much of the Muslim vote pretty much sorted and their own community/caste seems pretty much solidly behind them - voting 5th November and counting on the 7th so, win or lose, it will all be over in 2 weeks. The only real issue is how much impact the Extreme Right will have on the vote.

Time will tell.

The more moot point is that somewhere, not over the rainbow but in this house, is a new, unused 7-port powered USB hub which I must have tidied away in my last go at the desk - and it is not is my box of computery things! So in which logical and completely sensible place have I placed it?

ETA: the hub was in a very sensible place and, had I not dumped a bag of old letters on top of it, would have been fully visible from where I sit. It is now fitted and working so I have full use of Skype again!

[Yipee]

[ 25. October 2015, 05:30: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Himself and Herself are back on the Campaign Trail this morning - they seem to have much of the Muslim vote pretty much sorted and their own community/caste seems pretty much solidly behind them

To say nothing of the support by the Woderwick wealth.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Well, yes, of course - the vast [Killing me] Woderwick Wesources are at their command! Well I did make my own breakfast AND my own lunch today - a massive contribution!

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welease WodeRaj? [Eek!]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Are they actually standing for election, or just campaigning on behalf of someone who is?

We had some nicely mediaeval-sounding organ music this morning, to mark the 600th anniversary of the Battle of Agincourt (FT - England 1, France 0), and we get the Agincourt tune for the office hymn this evening, which'll be fun.

The Piglet and D. Restaurant Research Service was operating again at lunch-time today, but not really in a good way. The menu was basically a rib-fest (admittedly that's their speciality) but there was very little else that had any appeal either. I had something that called itself "smoked prime rib of beef", but it wasn't like any prime rib I've ever tasted before, and took blandness to new heights (or should that be depths?). D's turkey sandwich wasn't much cop either, so I don't think we'll be back.

Never mind - it was a nice day, and we had a pleasant walk along the harbour-front beforehand.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Went off and dug the allotment (again. I reckon this should take another week to complete). Who'd have thought that woodlice like to gnaw into beetroot and build themselves nests in it?

Came home and roasted the pheasant breasts wrapped in bacon that I bought at the market yesterday. Accompanied by roast potatoes and supermarket's best sage and onion stuffing. Now that the evenings are shorter, this is the season for comfort eating and the culinary joys of the season. The market stall also does partridge and venison so I'll be back.

The countryside is looking beautiful - still that glorious mix of where the summer is hanging on, if a little bit bedraggled now, with snapdragons, marigolds and other summer flowers still hanging on, with some added colour from the Virginia creepers and autumn leaves.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No fancy cooking for me today. I hadn't really bought anything, but I looked in the fridge and found a large sweet potato, spinach and some veggie sausages. That will do for a meal [Smile]

quote:
Piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
... Simon Wills' Empress of Blandings ...

After the concert (as was our wont) we went to the Festival Club, where Simon and my dad found that they were kindred spirits (trombone-playing, drinking).
I'm a kindred spirit too then! [Smile]

[ 25. October 2015, 19:19: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ariel, that all sounds lovely, except for the woodlice. The Virginia creepers around here are a particularly fine colour at present, and the acers are getting into mid-season form in the arboretum and gardens. If the weather holds it looks like being a very good year for autumn colour.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I really enjoy those SRO concerts when I can get to them and then get tickets, which last is a bit of a lottery.

There was a theme of brass instruments at that concert. Of the list of composers, Dan Jenkins is also a trombonist and usually plays with the BBC SO, so got the biggest cheer of the night led by the orchestra. He composed the piece I liked best, SRI, He announced it with the wry comment that one of the percussionists thought it should be renamed RSI as her part was pretty continuous. I thought the Simon Wills piece took a while to get into its stride, but was fun when it got there. Martyn Brabbins, the conductor, was announced as also being a trombonist, although his first main instrument was the euphonium.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've spent an excellent but exhausting day with my friend and brace of godsons at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park. We saw the poppies from the Tower of London display, and then clambered over a variety of sculptures. A good time was had by all (and we were lucky enough to have a bright and beautiful day).
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Went off and dug the allotment (again. I reckon this should take another week to complete). Who'd have thought that woodlice like to gnaw into beetroot and build themselves nests in it?

My beetroot seem to attract a weird kind of centipede, flat and quite wide, that looks for all the world as though someone has tried crossing centipedes with woodlice! At risk of turning this into the gardening thread we had our first air frost last night (no doubt you did too), so Saturday will be blitz day on the allotment. I like it, it marks a time when I can get stuck in and clear everything out instead of trying to keep it struggling on.

Oh, and the Harbour Fry in Kirkwall is indeed pretty damn decent fish and chips.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

The only things I've got left in the allotment now are five large beetroots, the four lavender bushes that haven't yet been stolen and a tomato plant. I've been quite enjoying digging the plot over, bit by bit, and clearing up and leaving clean earth behind: a blank canvas ready to be drawn on again in the spring, with a different design.

I had two of the tomatoes with lunch today. They've taken a long time to ripen but it was worth it for the burst of intense rich flavour - surprisingly enjoyable. You never get stuff like that in the shops.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is amazing just how wonderful home grown tomatoes taste. Superb, usually.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
It is amazing just how wonderful home grown tomatoes taste. Superb, usually.

They even smell yummy!
[Yipee]

(The ones from grocery stores seldom have any smell and not much taste, at least around here.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Years ago I did a diploma in Agriculture when we anticipated moving to country and raising Murray Grey cattle. We were told in course on vegetables that commercial tomatoes have flavouring bred out of them in favour of the ability to be transported without bruising.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
... the Harbour Fry in Kirkwall is indeed pretty damn decent fish and chips ...

... and patties! [Yipee] **drool**

Totally agree about home-grown tomatoes - Dad used to grow Gardener's Delights and Golden Sunrises in the greenhouse, and there was nothing to beat the first, tiny, impossibly sweet tomato off the vine. The mixed colours (along with the basil that he grew beside them) made the best, prettiest tomato salad ever.

Because the growing seasons in Orkney (even in a greenhouse) tended to be quite late, the main bulk of the crop tended to come in September, which coincided with Mum and Dad being away on holiday, so I used to pick them, bag them up and take them in to w*rk.

I remember one year when we were still picking them at Christmas.

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Talking of tomatoes, I saw the name Firenze on a box of cherry tomatoes outside our local "open all hours" shop the other day, and it called to mind an honoured shipmate. [Smile]

Nen - carrying a bit of the Ship with her as she moves through her day.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

At least she had the luck to have some nice tomatoes named after her.

I'm sure more children would eat their fruit and veg if they were home-grown. When I worked on a shared allotment I had to try to convince the younger members that tomatoes weren't ripe and didn't need to be picked while they were still pink, hard and crunchy. But of course that's how they were used to seeing tomatoes, and probably people have started to forget that when you buy them in the supermarket they aren't ripe and should ideally be left a few days.

Not that it seems to improve the flavour much, as said above, they're bred more for ease of transportation.

[ 27. October 2015, 11:05: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I did that at a school I worked at - set up a gardening club, and got the children to eat more interesting vegetables that way. Somewhere, not that I have it now, there's a lovely picture of them all carrying in lettuces and greens various they'd grown to the school cook to make the lunch salad the last week of term. It was all quick stuff: radishes, lettuces and soft greens.

(At the time I also had a organic box delivered and ate lunch with the kids. I usually had some variation on salad, crudites, cheese and oatcakes, plus an apple for pudding. The usual query was why was I eating leaves.)

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In our churchyard, the compost heap was turned into a raised bed and local schoolkids planted onions, potatoes, lettuces, courgettes etc. The produce went to the local Food Bank, but at least the kids saw where real vegetables came from! [Axe murder]

(There's a gardening club at the primary school down the road that also sends veg [Overused] )

I think that's the only part of the churchyard that no-one has complained about recently...

Mrs. S, currently only growing chillis

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm afraid I didn't inherit the family green-fingers gene - my dad was a very keen gardener, and his grandparents kept a market garden - I have trouble keeping a spider-plant alive.

The eco-cube lavender I was talking about a few pages back has the tiniest little leaves on it, but it really doesn't look as if it's very keen on becoming anything recognisably lavender-ish.

In other news, there was some sn*w on the car and Patches of Treachery™ on the front steps this morning. [Waterworks]

[ 27. October 2015, 12:45: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

Definitely agree about the flavour of homegrown stuff. We've just got the last of the green tomatoes in to put in a paper bag with a banana and the chili plant has had a haircut and gone on a windowsill.

Weather was a bit grim today, glad I went walking yesterday. Earlier I wondered why some kids were still outside playing football in the dark and realised it was only 5.30. Eee, the nights are fair drawing in. [Biased]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Our nights will start properly drawing in this weekend, which is a Good Thing as it means we'll get an extra hour the night before we cross the Pond, and any deposits in the Sleep Bank™ are welcome.

Rolls have been baked for tomorrow's lunch, laundry has been done and I'm off to bed.

[Snore]

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

quote:

But you have a Shakespearean elemental named after you. [Smile] Also a washing powder. [Biased]

On the vegetable theme, I'm going to have cauliflower cheese for tea. I haven't cooked one of those since Nenlet2 lived at home, as he and I are the only ones in the family who like it.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
quote:

But you have a Shakespearean elemental named after you. [Smile] Also a washing powder. [Biased]
And the BBC's staff magazine (a nice pun on words there, I think).
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:
quote:

And the BBC's staff magazine (a nice pun on words there, I think).
I didn't know that! Very good. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:

Yes, the washing powder is the only one people remember.

Cheers,
Persil.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

We are approaching being fully self-sufficient in fresh chillies! Sadly they are not, as far as I know, the type that we can dry and then have ground to a powder but baby steps, we'll get there. The little white ones just about to come into fruit are supposedly amazingly full of flavour - I wonder if we can dry those and turn them into explosive white chilli powder?!?!

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Welease Woderwick: We are approaching being fully self-sufficient in fresh chillies!
Is there such a thing as having enough chillies? [Smile]

(Congratulations! I grew piri-piri chillies when I was in Mozambique; they were very good.)

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I would say NO! to that but Piglet may beg to differ.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  ...  58  59  60 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016