homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Various Islands in the North Atlantic (Page 56)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  60 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Various Islands in the North Atlantic
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have two wonderful women who come once a month and "do" us from top to bottom (apart from the spare room - they couldn't get in there!!)

Worth every penny!

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well that was fun. Woke up this morning with a voice two octaves below normal, a head stuffed full of cold and the room spinning around.

Spent most of the day in and around bed playing stupid word games on my phone. Mainly an anagram game where you find as many words as you can from the 9-letter word presented to you in a square, always including the one in the centre of the square. I've endeavoured to enrich the English language with some variant spellings and obscure dialect words, concocted some interesting names for possible fictional characters, and a bunch of words that ought to exist but don't. The program wasn't having any of it.

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ariel, I love that game!

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our town had an outdoor Christmas market today. The weather was very cold and very wet - even the reindeer that had been brought as an added attraction looked cheesed off. Still, it meat that we had over 150 people come into the craft fare held in our church hall, which had been advertised in the overall publicity.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been a very brave little piglet today - I went shopping. On the day after "Black Friday". [Eek!]

I was quite successful though - I got candle-bridges for the upstairs windows (30% off), which have now been installed and are causing me to turn into Festive Piglet.

I also found a couple of Christmas pressies for friends and a rather nice cloak/wrap thingy for myself (also usefully reduced in price), so I'm feeling moderately accomplished.

Onwards and upwards ...

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At least I now have an idea for something for Mrs Sioni that hasn't been suggested by Mrs Sioni. My thanks go to the Elder Daughter.

Next trick is to find some small "stocking present" for all who will be at home for Xmas. There are going to be nine of us so they are going to be small and cheap.

[ 28. November 2015, 22:23: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Times are hard here at Chateau Intrepid - Mr. S has flu, real flu, hasn't eaten since Thursday night and is subsisting on Lemsip and cups of tea [Eek!] He's lost half a stone.

I, on the other hand, have only a stentorian cough of the kind that causes people to turn and look for the hitherto-unsuspected Great Dane in the room, so I can't go outside (except to go to church to cover what Mr. S should have been doing) so I am bored and cranky. Nor have I lost any weight [Mad]

Any minute now I shall have to get out a jigsaw puzzle [Help]

The Grumpy Mrs. S

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:

Any minute now I shall have to get out a jigsaw puzzle [Help]

The Grumpy Mrs. S

NO! You must not do that! To yield now could prove fatal.

I'm pretty sure we have daytime TV to save us from The Hell That Is Jigsaw Puzzles.

(eta: get well soon. SS)

[ 29. November 2015, 10:18: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sympathy to Mrs S. It ain't fun.

And I don't do flu, whatever strain of disease this is is a new one on me. It's supposed to be a cold and take the usual course. Instead I've just spent the last 12 hours feeling like death with an entire gallery of extra symptoms I don't normally get. It could I suppose have been last night's takeaway but I doubt it.

Windy as hell and I have no energy anyway. I'm going back to bed to play some more stupid word games on my phone and read the Earthsea Quartet (which suggests the upward curve to recovery). Could still sing bass in the choir if required.

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Listening to the rain outside, perhaps next year's UK thread could be called something like "Let's talk about the weather"

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Thanks all.

Mr. S has ingested yoghurt and a banana (though still v. unwell). I can no longer speak, but being sidesman in church tonight shouldn't require much in the way of conversation - normally I'm quite happy to read a lesson at short notice, but not tonight guys [Frown]

SS -I have yielded and the jigsaw is on the table. Sorry [Frown]

The Silent Mrs. S (perhaps that's why Mr. S may be on the road to recovery?)

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
Listening to the rain outside, perhaps next year's UK thread could be called something like "Let's talk about the weather"

Good idea!

Get well soon all who have the lurgy. I've had a streaming cold all week but it has gone now - touch wood!

Twiglet had her spay on Friday and is doing really well - it's hard to keep her calm and still!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

My boss was off sick last week, which was very unusual as she doesn't do sick. The rest of us were wracking our brains for the last time she took any sick leave and our tame HR person went so far as to say "at least five years ago". That said, the times are a-changing at the workplace and she has had an awful lot on her plate.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been thinking off and on that next year's thread should be "Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather" (with thanks to Gilbert & Sullivan).

Poor Mrs. (and Mr.) S. - you are having a rotten time of it. Hope you both feel better soon (and you, Ariel).

We did a corker of an Advent Procession this morning, eliciting much Decanal Grinning™ and many nice comments from the congregation. It's such a nicely-put-together service - the way the "Great O Antiphons" weave round the lessons, hymns and choral carols gets me right into the mood for the run-up to Christmas. [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Thank you, Piglet! Mr.S is definitely on the road to recovery as he can now make his own cups of tea [Killing me]

Just preparing for a performance of the 'Three Kings Rap' (mercifully lip-synched!) with the puppets at the nearby primary school [Yipee] I'm also supposed to play Melchior's wife in a short sketch, but with any luck I can dragoon someone else into doing that.

Then I can return to my jigsaw (sorry SS!)

Mrs. S, recovering

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
posted by piglet
quote:
We did a corker of an Advent Procession this morning, eliciting much Decanal Grinning™ and many nice comments from the congregation. It's such a nicely-put-together service - the way the "Great O Antiphons" weave round the lessons, hymns and choral carols gets me right into the mood for the run-up to Christmas.
[Eek!] O Antiphons before the 17th of December!

We started with the Matin Responsory; nice selection of hymns (including Hark! what a sound to Highwood) and Call to remembrance by Farrant since Advent is a penitential season...

[ 30. November 2015, 07:28: Message edited by: L'organist ]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OK, I give up.

Has no one on the ship noticed that GB (Andy Murrary plus bits of help) have just won the Davis Cup for the first time in 79 years.

Say what you like about Mr Murray (who seems to attract less than universal love even amongst UK tennis fans) he has shown enormous commitment to country over this.

Well done the Murray family, and the rest of the GB tennis team.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I must confess that I didn't know and then agree, having now read the BBC page, that they all did a great job.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I watched most of the Davis cup matches. A really emotional Mr Murray at the end, but sreally liked that his main concern seemed to be consoling the other team.
Mrs S. Hope you are enjoying your jigsaw, and that you and Mr S are feeling lots better. I love jigsaws them and know I've got one waiting as a 'surprse' Christmas present, can't wait!

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I saw the headline but am not really sports minded.

Staying at home today to fend off bronchitis. Still haven't got round to putting the Christmas tree up, but that could be a project for later this afternoon, as it only involves taking it out of its box and twining some lights round it.

[ 30. November 2015, 08:34: Message edited by: Ariel ]

ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For all you jigsaw fans out there - there is an app called Magic Puzzles (Android, Apple and Windows) that allows you to play 550 piece jigsaws on your device. It comes with loads of puzzles and will even turn your photos into puzzles.

Oh the hours I've wasted....

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I Still haven't got round to putting the Christmas tree up, but that could be a project for later this afternoon, as it only involves taking it out of its box and twining some lights round it.

I wish! We always have a floor to ceiling real tree, I can't seem to persuade Mr Boogs otherwise [Roll Eyes]

Get well soon!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Still haven't got round to putting the Christmas tree up, but that could be a project for later this afternoon, as it only involves taking it out of its box and twining some lights round it.

Christmas Tree? In November? Is outrage!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
[Eek!] O Antiphons before the 17th of December!

Oh dear - a purist ... [Paranoid]

I'm not a liturgist, so I don't know what precedents there are for the way our Advent Procession works, but IMHO it works really nicely. We begin with the Palestrina Matin Responsory, then process to the Quire singing O come, O come Emmanuel*, and I love the way the O Antiphons reflect the verses of the hymn.

* I take it we shouldn't really sing that before 17th December either (but I bet nearly everyone does). [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Has no one on the ship noticed that GB (Andy Murrary plus bits of help) have just won the Davis Cup?

I certainly did notice (although I didn't see any of the matches). Brilliant job - well done chaps! [Yipee]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I wish! We always have a floor to ceiling real tree, I can't seem to persuade Mr Boogs otherwise [Roll Eyes]

Will swop my 12.99 supermarket tree for yours [Big Grin] - I love real trees, even if they do make a mess on the carpet. I do feel sorry for them but there is a sort of magic about a real tree that you don't get off an artificial tree.

Got mine up now (I am allowed to do this because Advent started on Sunday), found the fairy lights don't work, and had to resort to a set of coloured ones. I quite liked the plain white, they looked like little stars twinkling among the branches.

quote:
Get well soon!
Thank you. There have been a couple of times today when I thought getting up had been a mistake, but should be back at work tomorrow. For some obscure reason ginger beer seems to help, but maybe it's just the feelgood factor.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineC:
For all you jigsaw fans out there - there is an app called Magic Puzzles (Android, Apple and Windows) that allows you to play 550 piece jigsaws on your device. It comes with loads of puzzles and will even turn your photos into puzzles.

Oh the hours I've wasted....

Jigidi is now also available as an app. Total time sink.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Visited my friendly neighbourhood bureaucrat this morning and completed as much of the process as we are able to do locally and my papers have now been passed to Head Office - when I got home I checked on their website and my status is clearly shown as under consideration so we are a small step on the way. Apparently a Bankers Draft here only has a validity of three months so I have been warned I may have to take it back and to my bank to be revalidated - fair enough. However the website said I should know within 42 days.

[Yipee] - possibly!

There were a couple of professional football player types in the offices seeking permission to leave - they have been over here playing in the Indian Soccer League, or something. No idea who they were really but they were wearing club strip so I sort of guessed. Their team has failed to make the play-offs so I suppose they want to get home as soon as possible. I wonder how long it takes to fly from here to Brazil?

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ElaineC, Firenze, did you have to? Really? I'm never going to get anything else done now!

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I warned you! First the Intrepid Mrs S calls in with a sickly spouse and not much better herself: They have some sort of excuse, but jigsaws are of Satan and, just for the record, were the most unwelcome and frustrating Xmas present of all. Just send a goat to Africa. Thanks.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Piglet, O Come O Come Emmanuel is possibly one of my most favourite hymns ever.

We had a 'Service of Music and Readings for Advent' yesterday evening, which was lovely - again the Matins Responsory to start, and then various congregational and choral pieces. And mince pies and mulled wine afterwards [Smile]

For my birthday this year, a friend bought me a 1000 piece jigsaw of the London Underground map. I had no idea there was so much white on the bloody thing!!

--------------------
All I know is that you came and made beauty from my mess.

Posts: 180 | From: Just outside the M25 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It does tend to come with a white background. [Big Grin] V. cool idea though - I think the Tube map is a work of artistic genius.

We need a "smug" smiley - I've made the tiffin for the Dreaded Cookie Exchange™, and it's not until Saturday.

Will someone remind me on Thursday or early Friday that I offered to bring some French sticks along to the party? Last year I offered, and then promptly forgot that I had ... [Hot and Hormonal]

brainless piglet

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I have decided that I am out of sync with the rest of the world - or, the rest of the world is out of sync with me - that's a better way of putting it. This morning I woke up with We plough the fields and scatter... running through my brain.

Have any of you done Harvest Festival yet?

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
It does tend to come with a white background. [Big Grin] V. cool idea though - I think the Tube map is a work of artistic genius.

Here's an online version -- not as many pieces as moonfruit's, but you can choose your puzzle cut up to 247 pieces.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I have decided that I am out of sync with the rest of the world - or, the rest of the world is out of sync with me - that's a better way of putting it. This morning I woke up with We plough the fields and scatter... running through my brain.

Have any of you done Harvest Festival yet?

You may jest - but when I worked with a Church in West Africa we celebrated Harvest Festival the week after Christmas, which was the right time as far as the agricultural cycle is concerned. Possibly the same is true where you are?
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I love jigsaws - but never feel I have time for them (not true, I only work one day a week!) But I have this, mostly subconscious, idea that before I can truly relax my house has to be clean and tidy (ha!)

I put the things I really enjoy (painting, drawing, photography, jigsaws, reading) in that category. Wasting hours on the Internet doesn't seem to count [Roll Eyes]

(should we still capitalise 'Internet'?)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

That's an interesting question, Boogie - I am not sure of the answer, if there is one.

We have a sort of Harvest Festival thing in late August, early September but then harvest, at least in terms of some forms of rice, here takes place more than once in a year - but not now!

Ah well, this, as all things, shall pass.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Harvest Festival in Brazil (maize) is on St. John the Baptist, 24ᵗʰ of June. There is special food, people dress up as peasants and do rural dances, it's really nice.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Here's an online version -- not as many pieces as moonfruit's, but you can choose your puzzle cut up to 247 pieces.

**sarcastic voice**
Thanks for that, Pigwidgeon - thanks very much indeed. [Two face]

I will not look at this at w*rk.

But, once I get home, when I should be doing something constructive like baking bread, or writing Christmas cards ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I'm not into jigsaw puzzles myself but the immediate great advantage I can see is that with a virtual one, it's impossible to accidentally lose a piece on the carpet.

(Or have a pet chew it into an unrecognizable shape, or child take a pair of scissors to it to tidy up the irregular edges...)

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
...or have a pet chew it into an unrecognizable shape...)

I understand that even Queen Elizabeth has had this problem -- with rented puzzles, IIRC.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've had few flirtations with jigsaws but they take me weeks to do and I've been a bit crushed by a few jigsaw expert friends, one of whom observed, "My minimum is 1,000 pieces. Five hundreds aren't worth getting out of the box." [Eek!]

I've now made a sideways move into adult colouring, which I find more restful and a bit more creative without being too taxing. Once I banished the ghosts of my old art teachers saying things like, "That's a bit of a mess" and "Why have you used that colour there?"

Nen - jigsaw and creatively challenged.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm beginning to feel a bit festive - we were rehearsing stuff for Christmas this evening, and it's definitely putting me in the mood. We're doing some really nice stuff, and D. has left Silent Night out of the carol service - [Yipee] - a brave move, as there's an arrangement made by the Revered Former Organist™.

Also, we're forecast to get Interesting Weather on Friday, which may even result in a sn*w-day.

I'm off to have a look at Pigwidgeon's Tube map jigsaw now - I may be gone some time ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I'm off to have a look at Pigwidgeon's Tube map jigsaw now - I may be gone some time ... [Big Grin]

After that one there are lots and lots of others to distract you from what you should be doing.
[Devil]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Well that's an hour and a half of my life I won't get back ...

I'd have enjoyed that a lot more if the picture had been a bit bigger - it was far too small to read the print, but I suppose that might have made it too easy.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

I've been wasting my life doing a Wasgij, where they don't give you the actual picture on the box. There is a picture on the box, but the one you are creating is what the people in that picture can see. Or what it might look like in 5 minutes' time. Or a hundred years... you see what I mean (nearly wrote 'you get the picture?' 'Yes, we see').

That adds a whole new level of challenge...

The cross-eyed Mrs. S

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It looks as if I might have a little time on my hands tomorrow - they're forecasting up to a foot of sn*w, which with any luck will be enough to close the university and give us a day off. Very useful in the run-up to Christmas when a spot of cooking/baking/whatever is required. It's started sn*wing, but whether there'll be enough for a sn*w-day is yet to be seen.

Either way, the Pigletmobile got its sn*w-tyres today, so even if we have to go out, we should at least get there safely.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Snow-day materialised, although it really didn't look as if it would. I woke at about 7:30 and though there was only an inch or two of snow, I checked the University web-site anyway, and lo and behold, it said we were shut, but to check back at 11 a.m., by which time it was coming down steadily (and blowing about a fair bit) and we'd be closed for the rest of the day.

I now have a lamb joint cooking in the chicken-brick for a late lunch, and there's a pot of soup bubbling merrily on top of the stove. Red pepper jelly, a batch of French sticks and production of the Cathedral bulletin will ensue later.

Yay for snow-days! [Yipee]

eta: and Bill, our friend/handyman came and dug out the pavement in front of the house, which was great as he's much better at it than we are.

[Overused]

[ 04. December 2015, 17:23: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
I've been wasting my life doing a Wasgij, where they don't give you the actual picture on the box. There is a picture on the box, but the one you are creating is what the people in that picture can see. Or what it might look like in 5 minutes' time. Or a hundred years... you see what I mean (nearly wrote 'you get the picture?' 'Yes, we see').

That adds a whole new level of challenge...

The cross-eyed Mrs. S

Ooh, I haven't done a Wasgij for ages. There used to be a stall on Salisbury market which sold them, and I've done a fair few in my time.

Had a day off today, with Mr F, to catch up on Christmas shopping and generally talk to each other without distractions. On a Piglet recommendation (I think it was her who mentioned it) we checked out Cote restaurant. Three scrummy courses for not very much - great recommendation. I'd already had a spiced, warm, cranberry and pineapple drink which was very tasty.

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ferijen:
On a Piglet recommendation (I think it was her who mentioned it) we checked out Cote restaurant. Three scrummy courses for not very much - great recommendation.

I've been glad of them several times on dank dark evenings in strange towns. They do what they do very well.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Ferijen:
... On a Piglet recommendation (I think it was her who mentioned it) we checked out Cote ...

Guilty as charged - good, isn't it? [Smile]

I'm just about to put the French sticks to take to the lunch-party/cookie-exchange tomorrow into the oven, and feel that I've been really quite an accomplished little piglet today.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  60 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016