homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Various Islands in the North Atlantic (Page 59)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  56  57  58  59  60 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Various Islands in the North Atlantic
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think ours will be a Rutter-free zone as well; not, I think, from any deliberate policy - it's just happening that way. Like nearly everybody else, we're doing the Sussex Carol in tribute to Sir David Willcocks (along with Infant holy, infant lowly and some descants, obviously).

Don't get me wrong - I like Rutter's music, but in small quantities: a little goes a long way.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've spent all day humming On Ikla' Moor Baht'at. We sang it (in the form of Whilst Shepherds Watched) at two carolling events last week and we'll be singing it again on Christmas Eve. I like it a lot but am in desperate need of a new earworm [Help]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A friend posted on FB that his Christmas Eve service was going to have Bach's Gigue Fugue in it, and that was enough to give me the first few bars as an ear-worm, which was fine.

However, I spent the last half-an-hour or so making fudge to the accompaniment of the Praetorius Christmas Mass (my default listening when I'm making edible pressies), which is even better. [Smile]

At this point I really ought to be making smoked-salmon pâté for my boss's Christmas, but I'm faffing about on here.

I've also just realised that I haven't done anything about the Cathedral Christmas bulletin yet, and I'm going to be busy tomorrow afternoon (getting my hair cut and shopping).

I'm going to be Frazzled Piglet again, as usual ... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our car-crash carol* on Sunday was God of God, the uncreated which is our vicar's favourite. Every year we get this; every year all the poor souls who have innocently come along hoping for Away in a manger start looking at each other sideways thinking 'Do we know this?'. If they don't, by the end of five verses they do!

* For those of you fortunate enough to have avoided this, it's one of those with long verses and different tunes for the front and back halves of the verses [Eek!]

Mrs. S, who now has that as an earworm!

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Have been spreading Christmas non-cheer to the council after they revoked (without evidence) my single occupier discount for council tax, sending my a bill for over £200. I've told them, in polite but firm tones, to do with that bill what they plan to do with their sage and parsley stuffing. [Mad]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was very disgruntled on Sunday as we'd planned to go to the carol service at church. Setting out with an hour to go (50 minutes to get there) I "just thought" I'd better check the time of the srrvice. I was wrong by half an hour. We'd've been too late. So we turned round & came home. Grumpy Dormouse.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dormouse, I hope you will soon return to being suitably gruntled.

I got summoned to the courier company again today to collect another thing arriving from Amazon.in - my long awaited and much delayed copy of Mr Holmes has arrived and I watched it as soon as I got home. I liked it, see film watching thread in Heaven for just how much.

I was then summoned to lunch - traditional here for me to have fish and chips, or a Kerala style interpretation of such, on a Tuesday. Today the fish had been in a marinade of garlic, ginger, tumeric, salt and a mere soupcon of chilli - wonderful! The onion side dish had been cooked in the remains of the marinade and the potatoes had been sauteed to perfection.

I will not be having any supper.

Which reminds me that Nephew Person [now 28] popped in the other day, got on the scales and is now a mere 4 or 5 kgs shy of my own weight and he is a lot shorter!

Not that I would ever try to rub it in or embarrass him about something like that - no, not at all.

[Two face]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I think it was very brave of Nephew Person to get on the scales in front of anyone; I don't even get on them in front of me. [Big Grin]

Smoked salmon pâté made late last night; wanted to deliver it at w*rk today but the boss wasn't around. Will probably deliver it to her house later.

I've discovered that our offices are going to be locked from 10 a.m. on Christmas Eve and we'll need to have our swipe-cards to get in. As I wouldn't start until 10 anyway, I think taking the day off would be a very sensible option; it'll give me a bit more time to Get Things Done™, possibly resulting in a somewhat less frazzled piglet. Christmas Eve can be a bit frazzled chez Piglet anyway: although I don't need to be anywhere until late evening for Midnight Mass, D. has to play for services at 4:00 and 7:30 as well, so it'll help if I don't have to get to and from w*rk.

We've got a couple of lamb-shanks in the fridge which I think I'll do in the slow-cooker on Thursday so that they'll be ready whenever he wants to eat - and they'll look after themselves while I faff around finishing making perishables and wrapping things up.

Oh yes, and we've got sn*w. [Frown]

potentially slightly more organised piglet [Help]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hadn't planned it this way but it looks like my Christmas dinner will be Chinese. I succumbed to impulse in a Chinese supermarket yesterday and bought a pandan cake and some of those lovely red-bean paste pastries (the ones with the embossed tops). After which it was a short step to getting prawns in sweet chilli sauce, and lemon chicken, and the ingredients for duck in plum sauce will be got over the next couple of days.

What with that, the electricity meter to be replaced on Christmas Eve and the MoT to be done immediately after Christmas, life is full, I tell you.

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
I've spent all day humming On Ikla' Moor Baht'at. We sang it (in the form of Whilst Shepherds Watched) at two carolling events last week and we'll be singing it again on Christmas Eve. I like it a lot but am in desperate need of a new earworm [Help]

Kate Rusby does a beautiful folky version of that, it is one of my favourites of hers. Although I do find myself mentally inserting 'without his trousers on' at the (in)appropriate moment in each verse.

We may have to delay Christmas. I have mislaid my Blind Brothers of Alabama Christmas CD. Disaster!

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
quote:

Kate Rusby does a beautiful folky version of that, it is one of my favourites of hers. Although I do find myself mentally inserting 'without his trousers on' at the (in)appropriate moment in each verse.

Do you add "Where the ducks play football" at the end of the chorus?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's a clear, bright, cloudless day - the first inf our weeks - hurrah!!

[Yipee]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

Yes! We are seizing the day and off shortly for a walk with Nenlet2. It sounds as though the weather is not so great for Christmas Day - only suitable for holing up with the family and eating lots of food. [Biased]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Dormouse

# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Grey & drizzly here but I promised Marvin I'd take him out for a walk. So I must. He is the dog of friends of ours who have gone away for Christmas. Marvin & his friend Roxanne (bulldog.) are at home, but with lots of visits from us & other people. Roxy can't go for walks as she has heart problems, but I don't want Marv to miss out totally. I think we may head out to the woods where I managed to find a circular walk of about 1 hours' duration. Just about right for my arthritic feet!

ETA why do I only see speeling mistakes after I've pressed publish?!

[ 23. December 2015, 10:42: Message edited by: Dormouse ]

--------------------
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

Yes! We are seizing the day and off shortly for a walk with Nenlet2. It sounds as though the weather is not so great for Christmas Day - only suitable for holing up with the family and eating lots of food. [Biased]
I wish we were - but it's very busy here at Chateau Intrepid. I've made pecan and sour cherry brownies, lemon drizzle cake, Christmas sherry mincemeat cake, Christmas buns and a giant steak casserole for tomorrow night chez the Dowager [Ultra confused] plus we spent two hours at the Food Bank sorting the three trolleyloads* of food that have accumulated there since last Friday [Eek!] Now Mr S is continuing his ministry to sick computers and installing a new router for an elderly acquaintance [Overused]

*People can be very kind.

Mrs. S, beginning to flag

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A Question - what sort of nincompoop breaks one of the arms of his specs on 23rd December?

Answer - This one!

I felt a bit of a fool but off we toddled to the Eye Hospital where I get my specs and in the Optical Shop I showed the nice lady and they hadn't got an arm to fit BUT they did have a completely new frame of exactly the same dimensions for the lenses and which seems to suit me at least as well as the old frames - total cost to me a fiver!

Meantime Himself was having his eyes tested as he has noticed some slight deterioration is his sight, subsequently confirmed by the two optometrists and the doctor that he saw. His all singing, all dancing new frames and new lenses are costing eighty quid! But then I consider what this would cost in UK and realise we are actually getting off pretty lightly!

Money spent on vision is never really wasted, is it?

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm at w*rk, although if I'm honest I'm not really doing a huge lot of it ... [Hot and Hormonal]

Busy day ahead though - I still need to produce the Cathedral's Christmas bulletin, so that'll be this afternoon taken care of (and possibly part of tomorrow afternoon as well).

Never mind - once I leave w*rk today, that'll be it until 5th January. I love my job, but it's nice not to have to get up and go to it for a week or two. [Smile]

eta: we've got sn*w, and it's currently -4°, but the forecast says it'll be +8° on Christmas Day, and then back to minus numbers after the weekend.

[Confused]

[ 23. December 2015, 13:54: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
Grey & drizzly here but I promised Marvin I'd take him out for a walk. So I must.

[Snigger] I came here from another thread where our Ship's Marvin was mentioning his birthday, so that conjured up a very amusing image (leather collar and lead, anyone?).

I need to do all the present wrapping this afternoon, which is clearly why I actually need to be here, and then The Day can happen. I did the big grocery shop this morning (people knee deep at the carrots and sprouts but not unreasonably busy in the shop otherwise) and we had a good, if muddy and windswept, walk with the Nenlet. We definitely had the best of the day, it's clouding over again now. More rain. That'll make a change. [Roll Eyes]

My hat is off to all such as Mrs S who do so much home baking. I used to make Christmas cake and mince pies and sausage rolls etc, and of course they're so much nicer than shop bought, but if I make it I eat it - and am the last person who should. [Roll Eyes] [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
quote:

We may have to delay Christmas. I have mislaid my Blind Brothers of Alabama Christmas CD. Disaster!

I have the Kate Rusby Christmas CD with that track, but can't find the damn thing. Gah. It must be catching.

Adding the asides is always tempting, especially in front of a microphone.

ION, heard today. An ice cream van playing The Holly and the Ivy [Eek!]

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Of all the times to choose for equipment malfunction. The verge of Christmas Eve and my microwave stops working.

I guess it's had a pretty good run, since about 1994, and it's been on its last legs for a while, but it's as if equipment *knows".

Luckily my landlord has provided a spare microwave, which I've now managed to christen with katsu sauce. [Roll Eyes]

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'd say 20-odd years was quite a good innings for a microwave. We bought our first one shortly after we got married in 1988 for something like £250 (which was a lot of money to us in those days*). It was still going strong when we moved to Newfoundland 15 years later; IIRC we gave it to someone who was embarking on student/flat-sharing life as we couldn't take it with us. We bought a second-hand one when we moved here in 2003, which went phut a few years ago and was replaced with one that cost about $50 (about £25). I rarely actually cook anything in it, but it's useful for defrosting, reheating D's tea from Timmy's™ and heating the water for bread-making.

I'm definitely getting there, organisation-wise: the Cathedral Christmas bulletins are typed, folded and assembled (with help in the folding/assembling from the Curate - may he reign for many years!).

I also had an unexpected burst of activity when I got home after choir practice and made the chicken-liver pâté and did a laundry load.

I think I deserve a bit of a lie-in in the morning, don't you? [Angel]

* Actually, it still is ... [Disappointed]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
🎅🎅🎅 Christmas eve already!🎅🎅🎅

It's pouring down here (again!). My day will consist of a long, soggy walk with the dogs through our favourite woods. I love this - it gets me out in the fresh air, something I would never do in this weather without the dogs.

After that it's off to Church to peel, set tables, wrap presents etc for the annual Christmas day dinner for anyone who would otherwise be alone. Then coffee with my dear friend and swapping presents with her.

After that I will complete the cleaning of the house as we have two guests round to share a meal this evening. Mr Boogs is the cook so he has that all in hand - I will follow him round the kitchen, washing up as he goes. My aim is to have only plates and serving dishes to go in the dishwasher. This is harder than it sounds, he's the messiest chef on the planet! (We are having duck - yum!, far better than turkey)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Can't believe it's Christmas Eve already - time just seems to fly past. I want to go out and see if there are any last-minute bargains, but am stuck indoors waiting for someone to come and replace my electricity meter. Lousy weather, though, with the wind moaning through the double glazing and rain splashing on the glass.
Dormouse

# 5954

We've just had half of our Christmas Eve dinner at lunchtime. I'd planned Stilton suffed mushrooms as a starter then dijon salmon for main. Due to a 5.30 Christmas Eve service, with 1 hour's drive home afterwards, we decided we didn't want to be eating lots of courses in the evening.So we had salmon for lunch (with hassleback potatoes & braised endive) and we'll have the mushrooms with salad when we get home. Dessert was brioche praliné and satsumas. Icing the cake this afternoon...

--------------------

MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just made chocolate cookies to take with us tomorrow when we'll be joining a Kenyan priest friend and his family for Christmas.
Tonight we're with the only other British couple we know here (They're cooking and they're really good so looking forward to that)

Really missing family and our UK home this year- four years since we celebrated with them.

But the birdsong and sunshine here are lovely [Yipee]

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
After a very wet and windy morning the afternoon was bright and sunny.
Had an early present exchange with daughter Erin as she and her G man are off to the Big Apple tomorrow. I hear it's warm as a summer day there today.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our vicar is still in hospital with pneumonia, and so we are having various clergy for Eucharists. Tonight, weRe having the assistant bishop!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Managed to get into w*rk early, so I was out by 4 and home by 4.15. So far this evening we've eaten, rung for evensong at the church I learnt to ring at, dropped the last bit of present off at the parental Knotweed abode, and got back home to relax until it's time to drive back to ring for the midnight service.

Had an interesting moment in the ringing when I managed to knock my specs sideways. I could carry on ringing easily, but was guessing wildly as to where I was in the method as I couldn't see anyone else. [Ultra confused] Thankfully we went back to rounds and stood fairly rapidly...

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
...and she's now glued to NORAD's Santa tracker...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:

AG

There's a nice story about that here.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:

I always have to do a double-take when I see NORAD written; I tend to mis-read it as NORAID which is something altogether more sinister ... [Eek!]

I am now, I hope, officially organised. [Yipee]

Lie-in accomplished, followed by setting lamb-shanks to cook in the slow-cooker, production of kipper pâté and pressie-wrapping.

Lamb-shanks consumed in between D. playing for the crèche service and the early-evening Eucharist (which he's doing now). Nails have been painted (sparkly silver).

Focaccia will be made after church tomorrow morning to take to D & M's in the evening; I offered to bring an appetiser, which is going to be charcuterie with focaccia and giardiniera (a sort of lightly-pickled veggie mixture I made the other day).

Merry Christmas! [Smile]

[ 24. December 2015, 23:54: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

What a lovely day that was!

Our Church did a full Christmas meal with all the trimmings for 100 people who would otherwise be alone, including 20 homeless and 30 meals taken out to the housebound. Everyone putting in a really big effort and pulling together. The person who organised it all is a marvellous woman - gentle, kind, organised and sensible.

A really special reminder of just what can be done.

I was washer-upper-in-chief. Our Church dishwasher takes 3 minutes per wash - it's a marvel.

Now I'm home and it's time for feet up with TV and a take away curry plus a large glass of dunkelweizen - great!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Back from a v. nice evening at D & M's - roast turkey and roast beef (the latter particularly good), all the trimmings and good company.

Looking forward to a nice lazy day tomorrow. [Smile]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Our town centre is flooded and all the local towns and villages too. The whole town has no electricity, very strange to drive around with no lights at all and rather hairy at traffic lights.

We are lucky that just our little hill has electricity!

This is the brand new library in the town centre. [Tear]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

Blimey, Boogie. My Manc friend had texted about flooding on that side of the Pennines, but I had no idea it was that bad. Stay safe.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We have lots of friends in York (it's where we got married) and I am seeing lots of scary photos on fb of rising water there, and beyond in Yorkshire and Lancashire. Stay safe northern Englanders. [Votive]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Going way back I have friends in Goole. Most of Goole lies below mean high water, which is useful for a port but a potential hazard when the rivers are in spate. This is one reason York floods, because if York floods they can get the water out again. If Goole is flooded, that's it. Rain Stops Goole.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

That does sound a bit scary - hope you're all keeping safe.

Nice lazy day accomplished (sort of). Very lazy morning (a.m. was cancelled [Big Grin] ). I spent the afternoon making French sticks for the choir party tomorrow and working on the order of service for the Nine Lessons and Carols. D. had done part of it, but our word-processing system (Open Office) tends to throw a wobbly when you're trying to format things like verses of hymns, and putting it right requires levels of patience beyond those possessed by my beloved ...

As we hadn't got round to eating, D. suggested we spend some of the restaurant gift-vouchers we got for Christmas, so we went to Milestones and had a v. good dinner (my steak was particularly excellent).

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Got up with the alarm clock, got a shower, got dressed, got as far as the car and decided I didn't feel so good so came back in and went back to bed - git up a bit after 10.00 and am having a thoroughly lazy day. According to Himself I have a slight temperature so may be running a low grade fever - I feel okay but...

Perfect excuse for doing SFA all day!

[Yipee]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Chinese food and a handful of minor accidents seem to be the keynote of this year's festivities. Yesterday I was just searing the duck in the frying pan before transferring it to the oven when boiling oil splashed over my arm. I did the usual things and am now pain-free but now have an impressive trail of blisters. The biggest is about a square inch, but I guess it'll go down in time.

It's been disconcerting, but nice trying to adjust to a lifestyle of films, chocolates, reading books, watching television and not getting up at the crack of dawn. Not having to go anywhere is great too.

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

That sounds nasty, Ariel, glad you are now pain-free.

We've had a couple of lovely family days, eating, drinking, playing charade- and Pictionary-type games and watching Harry Potter. Nenlet1 and husband, who live locally, have now gone home and later today Nenlet2 leaves us to travel to the friends he's spending New Year with. I may need tissues. [Waterworks]

Have not yet seen the Downton Christmas Special. *avoids thread*

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We managed to get all my husband's family in the same house st the same time on Christmas Day which was great, and saw most of mine on the way up to the in-laws. Fantastic to catch up with them all, but it is lovely to be at home to peace and quiet and our new toys.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I did wonder, Boogie, how you were, knowing you lived in the floods area. Hope you are still OK, and that the waters go down quickly. I feel so sorry for all those who have been flooded out, especially for the second or third time. [Votive]

Don't pop those blisters, Ariel, and watch that duck next time! [Biased]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Thank you Nicodemia, all is well in Boogieville. But the town centre is a terrible mess as are all surrounding villages. All the Mosques have opened to collect and give out food and give people somewhere warm to go, which is great. 10,000 homes still have no electricity, with no prospect of it coming back on until Tuesday.

Yesterday I ordered an battery pack which charges everything at least 20 times before running out. It arrived today. Mr Boogs thinks I am crazy spending £17 on something we'll 'never' need - but we are only 10 houses from the blackout zone - so it could be us next time!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wishing you all the best, Boogie.

Myself and Mr Shrew are in York. Currently our house is well above predicted flood levels, but we are cut off in almost all directions and the town centre is almost entirely impassable.

Those familiar with York will know that the Ouse (biggest river) floods a couple of times a year, just to keep us on our toes.

This time it is not just the Ouse: it is the Foss (little river) (and near us Osbaldwick Beck and Tang Hall Beck which are teeny tiny streams that aspire to riverhood as well).

The Ouse is at crazy levels of flooding - the main flood defences (which let some places flood but keep the water mostly in check - sacrificing a bit of inconvenience for overall safety) go to 5.4m above normal levels.

The predicted peak tomorrow is 5.41m, so places that never normally see a drop of flooding are going to be getting damp.

I'm becoming a nervous Shrew.

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

Yikes, Mrs Shrew, I hope you and Mr S keep safe. Seeing it all on the news is just awful. [Frown] I didn't know that about all the rivers in York. [Eek!]

Nenlet2 is on his way to where he's spending New Year. The house feels very empty. [Frown]

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

It's been odd hearing about all the flooding in the area as I haven't been into town and live fairly high up. From here there's nothing to see. Elsewhere though it's pretty bad.

My friend lives in Mirfield, not too far away. There is an Old People's Home that is completely surrounded by water, cut off like an island. Very distressing for all concerned.

Fingers crossed for a dry couple of days.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

There were pictures on the Weather Channel this evening of Leeds looking more than somewhat moist; prayers ascending that the flood levels go down and you can all get back to normal.

Carol service done and dusted for another year; we shan't actually do one in 2016, as next year's one will fall on New Year's Day of 2017 - the joys (NOT) of doing one's carol service after Christmas. It went very well - there was a huge amount of Decanal Grinning™, and the (very young) composer of the new carol seemed pleased with our efforts.

Enjoyable choir party afterwards, although I wish we didn't have it in the Crypt - we spend that much time in the Cathedral over Christmas anyway that I'd much rather we could hold it somewhere else.

--------------------

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I do hope you stay dry, Mrs. Shrew. And that the two little becks and the Fosse keep their aspirations low!!

But the uplands are so saturated, that any further water is, I suppose, just going to fill all becks, streams and rivers to overflowing again. [Frown] I do feel so sorry for those devastated by water and other nasties in their houses. It isn't something you can just do a spring clean and start again!

Luckily we are not in a flood area, and actually are quite high up. But I was looking nervously around me last night wondering what I would move upstairs in a hurry if I had to!

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Back today from a very pleasant week in foie gras land. Much food was eaten. True story: my parents and brother and sister-in-law were arriving in the evening and we had planned to serve them boeuf bourgignon. I needed to leave fairly early to go and pick the rents up from the airport, and we asked the in-laws if they could arrange a light meal at lunchtime before I went out. My mother-in-law’s definition of a light meal: confit de canard [Eek!] . Welcome to the South-West.

The weather was unseasonably warm – about 16°C during the day, with those bright blue skies that you only get in that part of the world. If only I could have stayed a bit longer <sigh>…

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  56  57  58  59  60 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016