homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Various Islands in the North Atlantic (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  58  59  60 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Various Islands in the North Atlantic
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
On the other hand, sometimes we lie with our spines aligned along solid foam rollers

But - why? [Confused] My back serves me very well and I'm sure I wasn't given it in order to lie on a foam roller. [Ultra confused] See, I'm sure if the Pilates teacher explained why we do things and which muscles we're exercising it would help.

Nen - very taken with the idea of bouncing. [Big Grin]

According to our teacher, the foam roller - like all Pilates - is all about balance and muscular control (then again, what isn't? especially if you take away the word 'muscular' [Killing me] )

daisydaisy, is it possible I may see you at Pilates in future then? [Yipee]

Mrs. S, working up to a Good Long Walk

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
jugular
Voice of Treason
# 4174

- Posted      Profile for jugular     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello, fair people of Britain! I will be in the UK during August this year. I am looking forward to ship-meeting where possible. But right now I'm mainly trying to find someone who has experience of the inner workings of Greenbelt. I'd like to put myself forward to do a presentation/workshop/whatever, but as a Greenbelt virgin, it's hard to find out what sorts of submissions they accept and how much support is offered. For those playing at home, it would most likely be about the Love Makes A Way movement, though I have other mad skillz.

Is there anyone who might like to PM about it and help a poor shipmate out? I will pay in egg sandwiches (stale).

--------------------
We’ve got to act like a church that hasn’t already internalized the narrative of its own decline Ray Suarez

Posts: 2599 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Piglet, I thought you would enjoy seeing how the Swedish chef makes chocolate moose

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Had a nice morning mooching around with my husband buying random things such as asafoetida, knitting wool and a toilet seat. Came home and booked a pre-Easter break to Sicily.
I still have some walnut and halva cake (an Ottolenghi recipe) left if anyone fancies a slice.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
Piglet, I thought you would enjoy seeing how the Swedish chef makes chocolate moose

Obviously, living where I do, I saw that one coming ... [Killing me]
quote:
Originally posted by Sarasa:
... random things such as asafoetida, knitting wool and a toilet seat ...

Things don't come much more random that that! [Big Grin]

I indulged in a spot of retail therapy today too: a pair of jeans, a really rather smart jacket for $40 (about £21.50), a couple of ball candles and a 90th birthday card for my dad (I'm going over to Scotland at the beginning of February to join in the celebrations - I'm apparently the "surprise" [Eek!] ).

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs
daisydaisy, is it possible I may see you at Pilates in future [Yipee]

Maybe - although I'm not sure that I'm quite ready for swiss balls or foam rollers - I'm looking for one where I can use arm bands or have a safety harness [Biased]

As I dug up rather a large amount of Jerusalem Artichoke yesterday, today's cooking has featured this. Just waiting for the after effect to kick in, but so far so good. I'm wondering how many of my friends and neighbours would like some - there are plenty more waiting to be dug up - it might provide the alternative to the solar farms that people are muttering about.

Getting ready for a day tomorrow counting birds and making quince jelly (found some windfalls [Yipee] ) and gooseberry chutney.

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
...I'm apparently the "surprise" [Eek!] ).

If you are to jump out of a cake be sure to wait until after they have cooked it before you climb in!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"... four and twenty piglets
Baked into a cake
When the cake was opened
One Piglet began to sing:
Now wasn't that a dainty dish
To set before a king?"

Quiet weekend so far, fine by me. It's been a long, cold week of sub-zero temperatures, but at least some snowdrops and blossoms are now starting to show.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ariel and WW - [Killing me] [Killing me]

Found out today that Dad's in hospital - nothing life-threatening, just general frailty and being assessed for appropriate "care packages" (horrid expression). When I spoke to my sister and brother they were fairly upbeat about the whole thing, and everyone's still going up to Orkney next week as planned.

Filthy weather here today - it blew a gale this morning, causing quite interesting sound-effects during the morning service, and chucked it down with rain, but at least it's cleared away a good bit of the snow from the roads and pavements.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Squeeee!!

I'm going to see Brian May playing the guitar tonight! [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Wow - "squeeee!!" doesn't really cover it. Lucky you! [Yipee]

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought you’d be the one interested in that news, Piglet [Big Grin] . He was *phenomenal*.

Roger Taylor was also on good form. I last saw him about ten years ago when I thought he didn’t look all that well (I suspect as a result of doing too many drugs in the 80s), but last night he seemed pretty spry (said drugs have had longer to work their way out of his system [Biased] ). His son has joined them as second drummer. Spike Edney was also back on keys. I don’t remember the name of the new bass player.

I liked their new singer (Adam Lambert). He wasn’t trying to be Freddie, but in some ways I think he’s a lot like him – very flamboyant and camp. He sang Killer Queen lying on a chaise longue fluttering at his face with a golden fan [Smile] . Incredible voice.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jugular:
Hello, fair people of Britain! I will be in the UK during August this year. I am looking forward to ship-meeting where possible. But right now I'm mainly trying to find someone who has experience of the inner workings of Greenbelt. I'd like to put myself forward to do a presentation/workshop/whatever, but as a Greenbelt virgin, it's hard to find out what sorts of submissions they accept and how much support is offered. For those playing at home, it would most likely be about the Love Makes A Way movement, though I have other mad skillz.

Is there anyone who might like to PM about it and help a poor shipmate out? I will pay in egg sandwiches (stale).

I'm not sure I've seen her on the ship recently, but I think Tractor Girl may well have some insights. I'll ask her to check this thread...

There's also usually a GB thread somewhere, I'm sure someone there will know someone with connections.

If you're up for a south coast meet at any point, would love to meet you.

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rush of brains to the head yesterday when I dusted my bedroom and cleaned my bathroom. I didn't do the mirrors which are [already!] looking as if they need it - possibly tomorrow.

It's been a frustrating day with two appointments for taking photos which both fell through for different reasons but it's okay - I have enough to occupy my time. If I get desperate I can always have a nap.

This morning I was trying to explain to a friend in his mid-twenties that worrying about stuff is a waste of time and energy but realise that at that age it is a difficult thing to accept.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tractor Girl
Shipmate
# 8863

- Posted      Profile for Tractor Girl   Author's homepage   Email Tractor Girl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Further to Ferijen's post the website lets people know what is happening each year re submissions and how to submit https://www.greenbelt.org.uk/about/
Last year they had an open submissions application process which they selected talks from. Not involved this year and so not sure procedure, other shipmates may be able to help you.

There is normally a Greenbelt thread on the boards and there we tend to have atleast one ship meet over the weekend.

Hope all that helps a bit

--------------------
Patience, Firmness and Perseverance were my only weapons; and those I resolved to use to the utmost - Anne Bronte

Posts: 1114 | From: The field of life | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Glad you enjoyed it, La Vie.

Envious? Moi? Too right! [Big Grin]

--------------------

shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Welcome to the UK thread - come along and chat about the weather!

[Big Grin]

(Title edited)

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, after that invite - it was drizzly here, then sunny but now we appear to be having a sudden storm and it's blowing and hammering down.

Today my eldest turned 14, I can't believe how the time has flown. He requested a spicy stir fry for tea (he's a rather liberal eater and I suspect he made this request as his younger brother is veggie phobic) followed by carrot cake. The carrot cake is currently cooking and I'm just making some chapatis (or possibly Chapstick, as the auto correct keeps insisting [Roll Eyes] ).
I need to get round to doing some study eventually...

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

After snow and freezing rain last night, we've now got rivers running down the steeper roads, and more patches of treachery on the pavements.

Apart from that, it's quite a nice day. [Big Grin]

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's it, it's official. We've had all the weathers today. Hail, rain, sleet, bright sunshine, snow in both gentle showers and then driving sheets (in that order) and now thunder and lightning. It's definitely not boring.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

That looks fairly familiar, A in E. Are you sure you don't live in Newfoundland? [Big Grin]

Made a batch of French sticks this afternoon and did a bit of adjustment to the jeans I bought last weekend (they never make the ones that fit me in quite the shape I like).

I got a 40%-off birthday voucher in the post today from Addition Elle, the Canadian generously-proportioned ladies' shop. The thing is, it has to be used during February, so if I want to get something that I can take with me when I go away, I'll have to get it on Sunday afternoon, as my flight's on Sunday night, which is a bit of a pain.

I shouldn't really complain - 40% off is better than a slap in the face with a wet fish ... [Smile]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

We had some less sugar carrot cake last night at supper - it was yummy. Sadly we had no sugar-free ice cream to go with it. Must buy some more. I can eat any but Himself and Pete are both Type 2 so have to be careful.

We all agreed that carrot cake is definitely counted as a serving of vegetable.

Last night, as well as emptying the box of bandwidth so I was forced off-line until I ought some more, I also managed to format my new phone - wasn't that clever? I am happy to give online instructions if anyone else wants to have a go. I shall take it in today and hopefully get it back in a week or so all restored. I shall ask them if it can have a newer OS put on as well as it has Jelly-Bean, superseded yonks ago; hopefully I can get Kitkat.

Luncheon so I'm off to eat.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We are back from our easyJet flight to Glasgow with my youngest son in the pilot's seat. It was my Christmas present - a lovely surprise.

It was surreal! I felt weirdly responsible for all the passengers. Of course, we were also 100% proud. It was a very windy day and he landed it perfectly. We had a cockpit tour after the flight and took lots of photos. Andy is first officer at 25 years old but the captain was only a year or two older!

Glasgow was fun with some Celtic Connections concerts to enjoy. We went on the coldest ever open top bus city tour [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Glad you had a good time Boogie.

WW, my carrot cake has at least 2 vegetables in it. Sugar is a vegetable, made either from a grass or a root veg (obviously root here, I'm in Silver Spoon territory). Obviously the chocolate bunnies that featured on the top of my cake provided the added benefit of beans as well.

I spent half an hour in my studio today preparing glass for my kiln without a single breakage or hand cut then promptly dropped a full milk bottle on the kitchen floor and spent ages picking up little splinters of glass [Roll Eyes]
I must go and check up on my students (essays due in yesterday and today) and then get back to my own studies as an essay looms for me too.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
HA, how do you find the time to do all that you do?? I am totally amazed - you come up with something new that you are doing/making all the time! [Overused]

Cold, very snowy and a day to stay indoors. So I took the dog out and then have to go out (if I can get the car up the snowy drive) to an appointment at the Medical Centre.

Where is a magic chariot when you need one! [Frown]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
... better than a slap in the face with a wet fish ... [Smile]

you called ?

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

My normal mental state is hypomania - I can juggle an extraordinary amount of things! Bipolars often like creative hobbies and I love things like cooking, sewing and creating glass. It is my therapy.
I only work part time from the OU from home so my work is very flexible (which fits in very well with my bipolar disorder which requires me to have a stress free life) and one of the perks of working for the OU is free study. I've just finished a history degree and have started a masters in education. The free study is a major incentive for me, I came from a poor background and left school to work on a YTS training scheme - no-one from my council estate went to university, no matter what their ability. I did my first degree with the OU in my spare time whilst working full time as a staff nurse and that rather got me hooked on studying, I now have 2 degrees and hope to get faculty funding for a PhD after I finished the Masters. I seem to hunger for the learning I could not get as a child.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Wet Kipper:
quote:
... better than a slap in the face with a wet fish ... [Smile]

you called ?
[Killing me]

In Belfast, the usual expression was "better than a slap in the face with a wet [Belfast] Telegraph". [Big Grin]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There must have been all of 5 minutes of snow in the city centre this evening, none of which settled. Somehow, we all coped with this ferocious blast of winter (to the sound of delighted squeals from a group of Brazilian students: by the time they'd got their phones out to photograph it, it had stopped). It's official: winter has arrived.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Five whole minutes, Ariel? [Eek!]

If that were all the snow we got I'd be a very happy piglet - five months is nearer the mark. [Frown]

Well, not five months of it actually snowing, but once it falls in big enough heaps, it takes a very long time to go away.

[ 30. January 2015, 04:01: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I took my phone back to where I bought it yesterday and saw the man who then called the boy who sold it to me - he cured it in about 90 seconds! Thus no chance to ask for more modern OS - and anyway they didn't charge anything so I'd have felt a bit odd asking for more. It's working fine now and I'm slowly getting used to it - my fingers are still a bit clumsy.

My Right of Residence stuff has taken a temporary tumble as they have just rationalised the system from the previous two parallel schemes to just one scheme, and I won't be eligible to apply until September so they gave back my application papers and the money, which is now back in my account. The single scheme, as it now stands, is the better of the previous two by far so I am not at all unhappy about this, it is worth waiting awhile to get it right. The one drawback is applying for a further visa extension in May to take me to the application date but that is really no big deal and by then the process should be mainly online so it's a win-win.

Plus yesterday afternoon I did something I've been planning for years - I have taken a few photos in for printing as 12x8 and then delivered them to a local framer, collection early next week, and then putting some pictures up around the place. I have 90+ thousand photos in the folder here so I'm happy that a few seem worth exhibiting.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm about to set off for work (6:30am) we have about 4 inches of snow, but was very slushy and it's frozen solid overnight. The car park at work is up a steep hill. I'm really not looking forward to -

a) digging the car out
b) negotiating our hill which doesn't get gritted
c) the journey, which usually takes half an hour and will be much longer
d) finding somewhere to park
e) the journey home, which usually takes an hour but will be much longer

Ho hum, pig's bum - moan over!

The actual work I enjoy [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

Just a light snow here, about an inch. My chickens are not impressed though, so extra grain rations for them.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We've got freezing rain and Patches of Treachery™. While I was getting ready for w*rk, I watched a bloke getting out of his car across the road and he was skeetering about all over the place, so when I had to brave it myself, I was walking very gingerly indeed.

[Eek!]

[ 30. January 2015, 14:08: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yaktrax, that's what you need. They're fantastic for stopping you skeetering.
I love mine [Axe murder] (and I never ever expected to need to use that smiley)

[ 30. January 2015, 15:07: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I survived!

It was 4 inches at home - only a dusting at work [Smile]

It's rather nice only working one day a week - you can still have that 'Friday feeling' without any of the weekly graft!

To be fair, I know I'm now to old for teaching full time - it's a young person's game for sure. I am eternally grateful that I could afford to retire.

Now for the weekend - is it WINE O'clock yet?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
...Now for the weekend - is it WINE O'clock yet?

Don't you know, Boogie: it's always Wine O'clock somewhere in the world [Big Grin]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I'm keeping my bottle of mulled wine for this weekend. If the weather lives up to expectations it'll be just the thing, and if it doesn't, it'll be nice anyway.
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

I'm on beer, a home brewed Belgium Christmas beer.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not much snow here in chilly Bethnei....I feel rather disappointed!
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rainy sleet that turns to snow for a minute or two then back to rain here. The plan for today included going to our local outdoor lido. it's lovely and warm once you are in the water, but I'm not sure I fancy the walk from the changing rooms.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

There's what looks like a very half-hearted dusting of icing sugar in the car park. The weekend's shopping was done last night in case. Today's forecast has now changed to cold and rain, but I don't fancy going out when the world looks so dismal. I have a pile of historical novels and a supply of chocolate to work through but somehow I think I shall cope.
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was deep and crisp and even round here yesterday and day before! But its slowly thawing now and getting slushy and slippery. I'm only thankful it didn't freeze last night as it makes it so dangerous for me to walk!

But it was very pretty!

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I'm keeping my bottle of mulled wine for this weekend. If the weather lives up to expectations it'll be just the thing, and if it doesn't, it'll be nice anyway.

I like your style. [Smile]

A grey dismal day here too, but the snowdrops are out. Also the daffodils in some places, which is Just Plain Wrong. [Eek!]

Domestics and decorating mainly today for Mr Nen and me, then out this evening to Nenlet1 and son in law for a meal. [Yipee]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had snow overnight on Thursday. I walked home through it falling at 10:45pm, woke up to a dusting on the roofs and grass, wet pavements. I'd been in the audience for the recording of this week's The Now Show.

This morning we had a couple of hours of snowfall that hasn't settled other than a bit of icing on roofs, here and there. A good day to stay in and do domestic things

I am feeling very pleased with myself. All the news on the deadline for self-assessment tax returns prompted me to check if I was supposed to do one. (I got caught in a funny way of taxing temporary roles through umbrella companies which was explained as working self employed but failed to send me any pay slips, P45 or P60). Apparently I'm due various tax refunds. And sorting out my tax is a whole weight off.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nenya, I noticed daffodils out on some of the local roundabouts. It was a positively tropical 7.5C in Cardiff!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For reasons too complicated to go into, I'd arranged that Mr. S and I would drive 90 miles to the Dowager's to meet Former Miss S and SiL, so we could all go out to lunch together (incidentally celebrating Mr. S's 5 years since retirement - another 6 months and he'll be able to draw his State pension [Yipee] )

Even at the beginning of the week the Dowager was fretting about sn*w, but I pooh-poohed that idea till this morning when I saw a yellow weather warning [Eek!] so I insisted we take a shovel, a blanket, water, food, hiking boots ...and we drove the long way round to avoid the back lanes we usually travel by.

Not a flake of sn*w to be seen all day [Yipee] though the weather was very odd with that strange hectic light that sometimes accompanies very changeable weather. I was very relieved though I think Miss S would have liked some sn*w so they could practise with their new 4x4 [Killing me]

Mrs. S, who also spotted her first daffodils of the year [Smile]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

You were obviously the beneficiaries of Piglet's Umbrella Principle, Mrs. S. - if you hadn't taken the shovel, blankets etc., there would probably have been a blizzard. It was a nice day here today - cool but dry - and most of the Patches of Treachery seem to have gone for the moment.

I've had a really quite busy and productive day: I coloured my hair in the morning, made paella for lunch, then went and got my hair cut and copped a couple of bargains at the shops while I was at it - a pair of shoes that I hope will be comfortable enough to cope with chasing round airports, and a decent-sized handbag with lots of compartments - just the sort I like.

Then after much swearing managed to get the computer to print the order of service for tomorrow's Candlemas Procession - it was being decidedly belligerent, but I managed to bring it to heel, which made D. think that I'm a very clever piglet ... [Smile]

I was going to try and check in for my flights on-line, but discovered that you can't do it more than 24 hours before your flight, so that'll have to wait until tomorrow afternoon.

There will probably be more swearing*. [Devil]

* although possibly not as much as is engendered by those hateful check-in machines at the airport. [Mad]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

1st February! In 4 weeks it will be the first day of spring. Meanwhile, you might still have time to say "Rabbits", if you're quick...

Still no snow here, just the cold, not helped by an east wind that seems to be enjoying flattening any plumes of chimney smoke into the horizontal.

[ 01. February 2015, 07:46: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

Snow disappearing slowly, but all crisp this morning which makes the slush slippery [Frown]

Still beautifully white on the tops and hills though. Probably still white in Boogie Land??

Seems a long time until Spring. The daffodil we had that bloomed on the 27th December has just died. [Frown]

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  58  59  60 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016