homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Various Islands in the North Atlantic (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  58  59  60 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Various Islands in the North Atlantic
Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

- Posted      Profile for Darllenwr   Email Darllenwr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would appear to have made Lord P.'s day. His birthday is coming up (a couple of weeks away yet) and he pointed out that his bass guitar was showing signs of disintegrating (true enough, I'm afraid), was there any chance of a new one?

I told him that he could have a budget of [I won't say quite how much] and it was up to him to find what he liked within that. I also suggested that he should not buy the first instrument he saw.

We took a trip to Hereford today, to the most cluttered music shop I know (Nilam Music, for those of you who know Hereford). Lord P came away clutching a Cort B5 electric bass - for £300. I think that I may have trouble persuading him to put it down for long enough to go to bed tonight ... [Big Grin]

--------------------
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times: I do not exaggerate!

Posts: 1101 | From: The catbox | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wish Lord P. health to enjoy his new guitar (not knowing anything about guitars, I have no idea whether or not you got a bargain).

Moderately busy day, for a Saturday, here: we sang for the funeral of an old lady from the congregation, where the pre-service tribute took 20 minutes.

I've heard Baptist sermons that were shorter than that (pace BT!). [Devil]

Then D. and I went to a place called Wingin' It for a bit to eat (messy but nice). When I got home, I finished what had better be the final draft of the order of service for tomorrow night, and D's away down the road to print it off.

Fortunately, so far nobody has asked me to provide anything for the post-ordination bun-fight, and I haven't offered ... [Devil]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Slight pain in right groin this morning so was tempted to use it as excuse for not walking but within half a kilometre the pain had gone and I had an excellent walk then home to face neighbour boy [his mum told him I was passing outside] and his angst about the equivalent of A Levels starting tomorrow with the practicals then the full exams in March. Poor lad gets himself so wound up that he can't perform to best advantage. He's coming here later to get some photos transferred to his phone so I'll try and work on him then. When he gets a consistent 80% on his term work but down in the 20s and 30s for exams it surely shows something.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
WW - Bach's Rescue Remedy was suggested to get me through my driving test when I was doing something similar. It worked so well that the driving instructor started recommending to others who were failing for no apparent reason. You have to play around with it for a bit to find out how long it takes to act, but it worked to just take the edge off for me.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Before I clicked your link, I imagined Bach's Rescue Remedy was going to be something like this. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I knew there was a reason that I had to give the link [Big Grin] Much though I love Bach's Toccata and Fugues the one you linked to really wouldn't rescue me from anything.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Darllenwr:
We took a trip to Hereford today, to the most cluttered music shop I know (Nilam Music, for those of you who know Hereford).

I've been to that shop! I'll probably be there again this summer.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ooh... now I'm getting ideas for a Day Out - Hereford being only a few stops along a train line.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Made my own ham, tomato and mushroom lasagne tonight, with tomato and roast garlic sauce instead of the traditional white sauce. I'll be making that again.

Lots of snowdrops out this afternoon and the first crocuses looking as if they'll open later this week. Nice to see some signs of spring.

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Japes:
Ooh... now I'm getting ideas for a Day Out - Hereford being only a few stops along a train line.

Hey! Let's have a meet!

And check out the Borderlines film festival.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hereford Meet sounds like an idea.

[Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We'd probably be in for a Hereford meet, as long as it's a Saturday. we keep forgetting to contacty Qlib when we know we are going to Hereford.
I'll post in a seperate thread, but we're going to the Cotswolds for a week in April. Anyone fancy a meet?

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My son lives in Bristol, so Gypsy and I may be able to visit him and come along [Smile]

In other news, I was fed up of my (too long) sleeves on my jumper getting wet when washing up. So this morning I simply chopped them off to the right length! Now I have comfortable, but frayed sleeves.

Impulsive? Who me?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was put in my place last night - one of the neighbour boys [17 years old now] came round to get some photos loaded on his new MicroSD card, his previous one having succumbed to some dreadful plague or other. As we were sitting letting the computer do its stuff I said to him:

You don't have to call me uncle, you know, you can call me by my name or chetan [big brother] if you want.

He replied quite simply

I like calling you uncle.

Fair enough.

Then this morning I lost a shop! I went into the city to buy some new bedding and couldn't find the shop I have used for such things for the last nearly 20 years - I had managed to walk right past it without noticing.

DUH!!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's half-term week for most schools in England and Wales so the journey to work was far smoother than usual. OTOH, we're at about half-strength because so many staff are at home looking after their kids.

Anyone else in this situation?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
St Gwladys, when are you going to the Cotswolds?

WW, perhaps he should be calling you Grandad instead! [Big Grin]

SS, I am relaxing in the knowledge that my boy is up in Scotland skiing with him uncle, so I am a freeeeeeee woman. On the other hand, whilst my broken shoulder is mending I am unable to drive, so my journey anywhere is rather more difficult than usual whilst my chauffeur is away.

How half terms change as your kids (if you have them) get a bit older!

[ 16. February 2015, 12:06: Message edited by: Smudgie ]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm in the situation of having to work at home (as I usually do) and look after the kids. Luckily their computer games are usually far more interesting than me and they keep out of the way if they are regularly supplied with food. Just as long as they aren't fighting about whose go it is...

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

When we lived in Carrickfergus (about 13 miles from Belfast) we used to notice a hell of a difference in the traffic when the schools were off.

Strange that, because when they weren't, the cars didn't seem to have any schoolchildren in them ...

[Confused]

We seem to be getting a slight thaw before the next snow-storm (scheduled for Wednesday, which could have an adverse effect on the Ash Wednesday service); there was melting snow cascading down the hill outside Château Piglet this morning, but I doubt that it'll last long enough to make a huge difference.

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As there are a number of teachers in our congregation, we can always tell when it's half term. That, and the fact we don't get cars blocking our street and back lane at school delivery and pick up times - we have a school at the other end of our street.
(Smudgie, we're off to Charlbury on 18th April - I've started a seperate thread)

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
When we lived in Carrickfergus (about 13 miles from Belfast) we used to notice a hell of a difference in the traffic when the schools were off.

Strange that, because when they weren't, the cars didn't seem to have any schoolchildren in them ...

[Confused]

I believe the heavy traffic before school opens is caused only in part by parents taking children to school. Far more is caused by parents getting their little darlings* up, washed, dressed, fed and equipped before they themselves hurry to work at exactly the same time children go to school.

*little darlings can be between four and 19.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I think you've probably hit it, SS. The strange thing we noticed was that we could leave home a minute or two before or after our "usual" time, and it could make all the difference between being early or just making it - we referred to it as "hitting the right minute".

Considering that it was only 13 miles, and the last 5 were on a motorway, you wouldn't think that you'd need 45 minutes* for the journey.

* not allowing for hold-ups arising from bomb-scares ... [Eek!]

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If there's going to be a Hereford Meet, I'd be quite interested, too

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Eigon - there's more about the Cotswold meet on this thread.

As a newbie to Ship-meets (I was at my first one a couple of weeks ago) I can heartily recommend them. [Smile]

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:

[Confused]

I believe the heavy traffic before school opens is caused only in part by parents taking children to school. Far more is caused by parents getting their little darlings* up, washed, dressed, fed and equipped before they themselves hurry to work at exactly the same time children go to school.

*little darlings can be between four and 19.

Schools are on half term this week and the roads are clear. I think schools should be on holiday every week.

[ 18. February 2015, 14:07: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

quote:
Eigon - there's more about the Cotswold meet on this thread.

As a newbie to Ship-meets (I was at my first one a couple of weeks ago) I can heartily recommend them. [Smile]

I think Hereford doesn't count as the Cotswolds.

Charlbury and Hereford are about 70 miles apart.

Shall I start a Hereford Meet thread, as there seems to be some enthusiasm for it?

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:

Shall I start a Hereford Meet thread, as there seems to be some enthusiasm for it?

That would be a 'Beef' thread then [Razz]

(picks up coat, leaves room)

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... Charlbury and Hereford are about 70 miles apart ...

[Hot and Hormonal] geographically-challenged piglet [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think once you're west of the M5 you aren't in the Cotswolds any more, and this is where the Malverns take over, but the exact boundaries generally are a bit elastic.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Ashes have been imposed; Allegri and Byrd have been sung.

Roll on Maundy Thursday, when we're singing the first part of Tallis' Lamentations during the stripping of the altar.

We tend to do quite a lot of unaccompanied stuff during Lent, much of which is Tudor or Renaissance and makes me a very happy piglet.

Who can feel miserable while singing the music of Byrd, Tallis or Gibbons? [Smile]

Oh, and it's been snowing again, although it's now turning to rain (no bad thing).

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm with you there, Piglet.

Wash me throughly from my wickedness is delighting another generation of youngsters at my place, while the adults get their teeth into the better bits of Batten, Farrant, etc. And Henry Purcell's Hear my Prayer is always a useful standby at this time of year.

But Tallis Lamentations? We'll be using the Bairstow.

[ 19. February 2015, 11:16: Message edited by: L'organist ]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Tallis Lamentations. It's sublime (the version we're doing has been re-voiced and re-pitched for SAATB).

I noticed when the You-tube link came up that fairly near the top of the side-links was the soundtrack of Fifty Shades of Grey; as a Facebook friend pointed out, it was odd that it took a film like that to make people aware of Tallis's music.

[Killing me]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Tallis really is sublime - Piglet have you got any of the Eton Choirbook discs? Glorious!

The last two days we have had a security guard with us on our walks - well, actually a 7 year old neighbour boy who walks along with us - and what a little sweetie! 7 year olds delight in everything, don't they?

I checked with his mum and he had asked if it was okay so it would have been churlish to refuse him but by the time we got back to the house yesterday we felt like a pair of Pied Pipers with a little group of littlies following us.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Our current CD in the car is a collection of Tallis's music, including the first part of the Lamentations (the men's voices version) and Spem in alium - I'd need to look to see who the singers are.

I think it's really nice that the kids round your way can join you and Pete for your walk without anyone thinking anything amiss; it's awfully sad that in so many places an adult (especially a bloke) who as much as says hello to a child who isn't their own is viewed with suspicion.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Having been in social work for 26 years I have had to unlearn a lot of the stuff I learned, particularly in the 1990s - but it is good.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I usually work on Fridays but it's half term so Gypsy and I are off to puppy class.

She is doing her KC silver test, she is nine months old today so pretty young for silver - and we are not allowed to use treats for the test!

Fingers and paws crossed [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good luck Gypsy!

I'm not having the greatest day today. I have to call the plumber at 12 to sort out a time for him to come round and look at our poor possibly-dead boiler (it is old, we were just hoping to get a bit more time out of it before the inevitable happened, but of course it packed up just before the weekend's predicted cold snap). And I am also having to get onto the support services for my new laptop (bought at new year) as the USB ports don't work. So far they have talked me through refreshing the PC to try and sort the drivers out, but if not then it will probably end up having to be a return and replace job. Luckily for me my old laptop still works, although I have to have the keyboard propped up nearest to me as if I have the screen back in a normal position it goes black (which is why I bought the new one - TME couldn't find anything obviously wrong when he took the old one to bits so I think it's also just showing signs of old age, but at least it's still functioning).

Maybe we should all just go back to sleeping under the stars and washing in streams and communicating by smoke signals. The joys of technology (ancient and modern...).

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

My doctor hit me!

Well, he gave me a little slap on the thigh because I have a chest infection and treated myself to an ice cream the other day and apparently that is a no-no with chest infections. He said I can have some to celebrate when the infection is gone.

Three more days of these horse pills and this dreadful strawberry flavoured muck - it is getting tolerable after so many days of it and it isn't as bad as some of the stuff I was given from Great Ormond Street when I was a little lad. A quick swig of medicine and then a Fisherman's Friend to take the taste away.

Good luck Gypsy - remember, no piddling on the floor!

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Amazingly, the refresh might just have worked - the laptop has just recognised my phone, for the first time. Muted hooray (still need to check it sees the eReader).

Somehow I don't suppose the boiler will be so easy to fix. Sigh.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
After all the fun we had when Mr. S wrecked the USB ports on my old laptop and then bought me a replacement, we actually found someone to replace them for a relatively modest sum [Mad]

Still, in accordance with Piglet's Umbrella Law, if we'd tried to get the ports sorted out *without* buying a replacement, you know for sure the motherboard would also have gone [Roll Eyes] so now we have three laptops, a tablet, a netbook and (I think) two desktops cluttering up the place.

So good luck, JtL!

Mrs. S, busy dusting computers [Confused]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
...it isn't as bad as some of the stuff I was given from Great Ormond Street when I was a little lad.

My daughters learned to swallow pills at a very young age because they couldn't stand the taste of orange-flavored penicillin liquid.

My husband, who grew up in Florida and South Carolina, was given sweetened quinine liquid for malaria at the ages of three and five. (This was in the 1930s.) As an adult, he could not stand the combination of sweet and bitter tastes.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The children were hospitalised with bad gastroenteritis when they were 2 and I remember telling a nurse that the sons wouldn't tolerate the sweetened versions of Dioralite and suggesting she use either the plain version alone or mix it with some warm Bovril.

When I arrived back on the ward (having left for 30 minutes for fresh air and to make calls) it was to see oldest son biting nurse and drawing blood as she tried to force him to down so-called blackcurrant-flavour stuff.

Felt both proud and mortified: as I said, I had warned them...

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Good luck Gypsy, and good luck with the boiler and computer JtL! [Smile]

quote:
... treated myself to an ice cream the other day and apparently that is a no-no with chest infections ...

Really? [Confused] I'd have thought the ice-cream would act like a gentle anaesthetic on your sore throat.
quote:
... A quick swig of medicine and then a Fisherman's Friend to take the taste away.

Crikey - if a Fisherman's Friend is an improvement, the medicine must be really foul ... [Projectile]

In other news, the city council came and took away large amounts of snow from our road (making large amounts of noise in the process, at five o'clock in the bl**dy morning [Mad] ), but left most of the heaps on the pavement on our side. How come they can navigate round the lamp-posts on the other side but not on ours?

[Mad] [brick wall] [Mad]

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's Rhubarb Festival time again! I've just come back from town with rhubarb (obviously), rhubarb and ginger brack, rhubarb pork pie, black pudding and goat, kangaroo and moose sausages. Should see us right for a bit. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
...it isn't as bad as some of the stuff I was given from Great Ormond Street when I was a little lad.

My daughters learned to swallow pills at a very young age because they couldn't stand the taste of orange-flavored penicillin liquid.
I remember the orange stuff <shudders> With my eldest it was banana-flavoured penicillin - straight down and straight back up again. And neither of them coped well with paracetamol syrup either - we got the tablets and powdered them up with Ribena.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
It's Rhubarb Festival time again! I've just come back from town with rhubarb (obviously), rhubarb and ginger brack, rhubarb pork pie, black pudding and goat, kangaroo and moose sausages. Should see us right for a bit. [Big Grin]

We'll be there tomorrow.

What I don't understand is why it is a Food, Drink and Rhubarb Festival. Is rhubarb not food?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
My husband, who grew up in Florida and South Carolina, was given sweetened quinine liquid for malaria at the ages of three and five. (This was in the 1930s.) As an adult, he could not stand the combination of sweet and bitter tastes.

Quinine (in tonic water) and sugar (in dry ginger) makes a very refreshing drink.

Mocktails, delicious.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:

We'll be there tomorrow.

What I don't understand is why it is a Food, Drink and Rhubarb Festival. Is rhubarb not food?

Good question. I guess it's to explain away all the food and drink that didn't contain rhubarb?

FYI, the Farmer Copley's rhubarb and ginger pork pie I had for tea was very tasty.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
Quinine (in tonic water) and sugar (in dry ginger) makes a very refreshing drink ...

So does quinine (in tonic water) and GIN. [Big Grin]

I don't imagine that I'm in grave danger of developing malaria in Newfoundland, but I have a GIN and tonic every so often, just in case. [Biased]

I must confess that I can live very easily without rhubarb; there's a patch of it in a corner of my dad's garden, and we were always subjected to it for a couple of weeks in the spring when I was a kid, but I never developed a taste for it.

Moose sausages, on the other hand, can be very nice indeed.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I love rhubarb in any shape but it has to be straight rhubarb, unadulterated with apple or such which dilutes the flavour. Plain rhubarb, rhubarb crumble, rhubarb and cream. I chop the stalks, give a good wash, shake off excess water. Microwave for 3-5 minutes depeniding on quantity. Then I stir through just enough sugar to takeaway the strongest part of the tart taste. I do this in several goes as I like it still fairly tart.

Using the microwave means I don't lose yet another saucepan to burnt on rhubarb.

[ 21. February 2015, 05:26: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I'm another rhubarb fan. I like to cook it with preserved ginger, the sort that comes in syrup. I chop the ginger up finely, sprinkle it in and pour some of the ginger-flavoured syrup over the rhubarb in place of sugar. Works a treat.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  58  59  60 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016