homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Pacifica - Let us all Rejoice... Australia, NZ, islands, etc (Page 11)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  21  22  23 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Pacifica - Let us all Rejoice... Australia, NZ, islands, etc
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Y

Lucky kid to get lift to school.

School gate is less than 20 metres from our driveway. Morning routine is simply to make sure he crosses the road safely! He was waiting outside his classroom not even wondering why it was so quiet when I got there.

TP has declared it must be time to buy Master 9 a watch.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A friend of one son lived a similar distance from school. He too had no watch but was always late.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I passed through Wellington on Monday. I took my hat off for a moment and my brain froze. It was 3c when I got back to Christchurch and much warmer. Thinking of using the fridge as an extra heater [Eek!]

Huia-from the Library

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Huia, I hope the library is heated. I guess part of your rates go to upkeep of library.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Whilst here, I'm worrying about being cold at 15 degrees.

On the other hand, my version of hot is 38.

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A few weeks ago, our local BBC station claimed that the temperature at the Suffolk Show was a "scorching" 19 degrees.

As if ...

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My goodness Clarence, anything over 25c is getting uncomfortable for me [Eek!]

I was posting from the library because some numbskull took out my connection with the internet and my landline phone. I suspect the people laying cables for ultra fast broadband who managed to bury my water toby a couple of months ago. The broadband may be ultra fast but their laying of cables isn't and they wield small diggers as thought they were weapons of mass destruction.

Now I have been re-connected my life has improved greatly. [Yipee]

Huia

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
My goodness Clarence, anything over 25c is getting uncomfortable for me [Eek!]

I was posting from the library because some numbskull took out my connection with the internet and my landline phone. I suspect the people laying cables for ultra fast broadband who managed to bury my water toby a couple of months ago. The broadband may be ultra fast but their laying of cables isn't and they wield small diggers as thought they were weapons of mass destruction.

Now I have been re-connected my life has improved greatly. [Yipee]

Huia

Apparently what they did to us several years ago was not uncommon. They had to use a burrowing machine to get their cable under the reinforced concrete driveway. A couple of years later the sewage pipe blocked. The Drain Doctors came with a camera on the end of a long cable and cheerfully discovered that the drill had gone right through the sewage pipe. The perpetrators had to come back and take up that part of the driveway and relay it (at their own/company's expense) after repairing the sewage pipe.

GG feeling good after the 6th and final session with this year's year nine enrichment group on The Secret Life of Words. Who but Master J would come up with 'dilapidated' as a Latin-root word for 'old', and respond to 'decapitate' with 'defenestrate' but who fell asleep one morning and today had no pen in a 9 am class but 'I had one earlier' (I gave him mine from the generous BNZ). Or Miss A who listed among what she had learnt that '* is an asterisk; Asterix is a Gaul'. I shall miss them!

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
... '* is an asterisk; Asterix is a Gaul'...

Love it - Quotes File! [Overused] [Killing me]

[ 30. June 2015, 16:14: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A scorching 6 degrees celsius maximum expected here today in Canberra. BRRR. I am looking forward to being in Adelaide over the weekend where it will be ten degrees warmer even though it is closer to the Antarctic.

My mother turned 97 yesterday. Her former bridge partner (my godmother) turned 100 this year - she still plays bridge for four hours at a time at her local bridge club. One of them was a State Master and the other a Regional Master and they are both still very capable of organising their own affairs. A darn good advertisement for bridge, I would say.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy birthday, Banner Mum! [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Indeed, a Very Happy Birthday to her. Not on the Ship much these last couple of weeks - but good to come back for this anniversary.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Just looked outside and it's snowing. Good thing my main job of the day is making chicken soup in the crock pot. Georgie-Porgy is stretched out under the flow of the heat pump, which is set on 16c. Think I need to put on another layer. The idea is not to get cold as it takes longer to warm up.

Forecast is for snow to stop this afternoon _ here's hoping!

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Chicken soup on agenda here too from the bones of the baked chook we had.

There is a warning of another very cold snap in next few days over here, so plan some more soup. Sydney is forecast for coldest temps in thirty years, it may cross the Tasman.

A bit of self promotion here. I cleaned out the last of the packages of meat from my freezer. All used. It looks strangely empty now. However, slow cooked lamb shanks were just right for dinner last night. A couple of glasses of red for son and me to send a very stressful day on its way

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Roast dinner last night, so today will simply be some kind of slow cooked casserole with the leftover beef and veg. B1 has been getting out and about on the dating circuit lately, as her children are away for the week, so she won't be here for leftovers.

It is kind of weird to be back in the position of wondering if she'll be okay and what time she'll be home - she's in her mid 30's; but I guess it just goes with being a parent. I can't pretend not to care, though I do try to keep it to myself.

NB: This is usually interpreted as 'Mum doesn't care' by the offspring. Of course, if I comment on anything then I am reminded that they are adults, and I need to stay out of it.
Interestingly if their Dad comments, then its just Dad being a concerned Dad, and they appreciate it. Must be a girl thing. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Clarence:
Whilst here, I'm worrying about being cold at 15 degrees.

On the other hand, my version of hot is 38.

Anything under 30 is cold. It's 8 here. [Frown] At 12.50 p.m. [Waterworks]

[ 09. July 2015, 00:51: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cancel that. 6°C. With severe southerly taking it down to a "RealFeel®" of 0°

[Waterworks] [Waterworks] [Waterworks]

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
0C is way warm. I might wear a jacket that day.

[Razz]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wash your mouth out, Uncle Pete! [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Our "RealFeel®" of 0° has declined to a "RealFeel®" of -4°now ...

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know what you mean Zaps - mid-afternoon here and only 29.1C!!!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
0C is way warm. I might wear a jacket that day.

[Razz]

Every time I see a post like that I give hearty thanks to God that my ancestors sailed to New Zealand, rather than Canada.

Sorry, that sounds a bit rude, but as a child I sometimes daydreamed how different, (and better) my life would be if they had decided otherwise. Even now I am amazed how flexible human beings are to live in such a variety of climates. I think part of the problem with NZ is that our housing stock has traditionally not been built to cope with the cold. I remember reading of a couple of Canadian academics who said they had never been so cold in their lives as they were living in Dunedin (our southernmost main centre).
Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

You are spot on Huia about the houses. What they were used to was what they built, regardless of changed circumstances. I have heard the same comments too from students from Canada and USA, here for a semester. They also said they had never been so cold as over here. House design plays a big part in that. And general lack of heating in older houses.

At least design now more often addresses the climate.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
... they had never been so cold in their lives as they were living in Dunedin ...

Reading about the cold winter you're having got me thinking about latitudes. Dunedin is at 45°S, which is a couple of degrees closer to the Equator than where I live in Newfoundland (47°N), and considerably closer than where I grew up in Orkney (59°N), but to a northerner like me, Oz and NZ seem as if they should be at least warm, if not actually hot (they're in the "soft South" after all) ...

[Confused]

--------------------

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Unfortunately a direct climate comparison by latitude is misleading because of the Great Southern Ocean, which allows cold near Antarctic winds (and the accompanying huge waves!) to go round the globe without impediment. Hence 50 deg S feels like 60 deg N !

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

And it has a name. The Antarctic Vortex has hit. Here in Canberra it is rainy and colder outside than in my fridge, remaining so for most of the day. Last night the Australian Alps experienced 'thundersnow'. Don't that sound impressive?

Anyway, its all fine as long as the electricity is running. Chez Banner is having a lazy day cozied up inside after the big family party here last night. B1.1 turned 14 and it was the first time we've managed to get all his first cousins (on our side of the family) together with their parents. Interestingly after years of being a mostly female household owing to our 4 daughters, we had 8 male and 8 females present last night. Photos were taken.

it was good.
[Smile]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I know what you mean Zaps - mid-afternoon here and only 29.1C!!!

[Waterworks] [Waterworks] [Waterworks]

I had to attend an adult baptism at an unnamed parish nearby this morning. What a flaming joyless, directionless, vacuous shemozzle. If that's Anglican liturgy (and it often is in NZ) then I'm off to Rome. Ugh. Why would anyone get out of bed for such a turgid pile of directionless upchuck?

Apart from that it was okay though. [Big Grin]

(Actually to be fair I believe the previous vicar was liturgically correct but a tyrannical bully so probably this guy [and his wife who insists on pawing me whenever she sees me [Projectile] ] are a welcome change. But still).

But holy mosquito farts, I hope I never have the misfortune to go back.

[ 12. July 2015, 03:08: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's kinda cold in the Victorian Alps, down here on the Snowy River.
Brrrrrr.

Heating high everywhere, church this morning especially.

Funny thing at church. Over morning tea, folk discuss what they will most remember about the service, as time goes by. Last week was my children's talk; this week my apparently amazing benediction.

Not the message! I have to laugh!

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

So what did you say at benediction!

Ultimate comfort food for this weather and I had all ingredients to hand. Moussaka and a couple of glasses of merlot. Tasted amazing, even if I did forget the tomatoes. Béchamel sauce was really good. Leftovers tomorrow.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Leftovers are often better than the original Loth.

A beautiful 8c here today, mind that was after a heavy frost. From the comfort of a warm bus I saw scantily dressed people running in Hagley Park [Roll Eyes] . I had 4 layers of clothing on, 2 of which were merino, as well as a beanie and was comfortable.

I was so glad I went to church today. The Minister decided against preaching on John the Baptist, because of the recent beheadings in the news and instead talked about "the Sin of Separateness" which was fascinating. Also there some children whom I discussed books with. Good to meet some readers who can discuss books intelligently - there is hope for the next generation [Biased]

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Leftovers are often better than the original Loth.
I quite agree. Soups, curries, casseroles etc are often better as leftovers and if I make them, I make enough to have leftovers.

If son is out for dinner I have an easy, no fuss meal already prepared, and he may get a lunch to heat at work too.

Our one rule is that food is reheated just once. If there is a lot leftover, I divide it into portions so only one reheating for one portion.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Wot I have learned this week:

Nutella cupcakes are easy enough for my grandsons to make (3 ingredients - and if any of the batter makes it in to the patty pans its a bonus).

I CAN make a choc hazelnut cake without flour - but it requires 3 times the normal amount of dairy food in it.

I can keep a child occupied in my studio creating things out of recycling bits all day for the cost of the glue involved. I note that some parents are paying good money to give their offspring such an experience at local clubs and centres.

A collection of thin cardboard boxes and some imagination still works as a basis for inventive play in the 21st century.

BL. On nana duty this school hols.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Well done, BL. My nine year old grandson is interested in cooking, can do quite a bit by himself with supervision from a distance. He spent time the other day looking through his dad's copy of my recipe folder. The conclusion was a list of things he will make.

Son was given a big bag with lemons, limes and grapefruit. Like me, he does not like marmalade much at all. He and grandson have made about a dozen bottles of citrus cordial.

Glue and scraps make good partners. Take some photos for them to look back on.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
... If that's Anglican liturgy (and it often is in NZ) ...

If you ever feel the need for a spot of Cranmer's Matchless Prose™, pop over here. [Smile]

--------------------

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
So what did you say at benediction!

I just slipped in a story from my past, about belonging. Our liturgy permits spontaneity.... And then I blessed.
But it was a cute story!

Still cold. Wet. Cold. Wet!

--------------------

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:

If you ever feel the need for a spot of Cranmer's Matchless Prose™, pop over here. [Smile]
I have re-introduced said prose at my other centre - who love it and I love it! My (imperious voluntary) colleagues will attempt to garrotte me when they realise, for they unilaterally banned it because they felt it was not modern or kiwi enough. No consultation of course. We only do that if we know the outcome.

By and large NZ Anglicans have me pining for Rome. Mumble-bumbled amalgamation of the worst of a-liturgical worship with a few inane liturgical gestures thrown in out of place at random intervals because there is a faint memory that we used to do that sort of stuff.

[ 13. July 2015, 08:58: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Loth, my granddaughter in Canada wanted a cookery book for her 7th birthday. I found a kiddies' one but it wasn't what I wanted – I finally googled 'Edmonds Junior Cookbook' and found (a) it's out of print and (b) the only bookshop in the world that had a second hand copy was 20 minutes from here.* The postage will be horrific (I have extra books for the other two and Whittaker's special one-off jelly-tip chocolate for my daughter) but never mind.

Our electricity bills will be equally horrific: heat pump goes on 7.30 - 9.00 am and stays off till afternoon if it's sunny, on again all evening, and fan heater in the bedroom for half an hour or so when we're getting up or going to bed. And there's a fan heater in the bathroom. But we think that as a result of all that insulation in the attic, courtesy of the govt nudged by the Greens, the rooms keep a bit more warmth after the heat's turned off.** (My neighbour gave up her newspaper subscription – I think we oldies are the only ones in the street now who get it – but she has a log fire so our papers, that we used to save for her kids to line the guinea-pigs' cage, now go to light her fires.)

*Young Kiwis leaving home to go flatting traditionally equip themselves with an Edmonds Cookbook. There are many others aimed at the inexperienced and impecunious but I think Edmonds still leads the way.

**But what's the use of insisting that rental accommodation must be dry and insulated, as we hope will be enacted, if the families therein can't afford to turn their heaters on?

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:

I have re-introduced said prose at my other centre - who love it and I love it! My (imperious voluntary) colleagues will attempt to garrotte me when they realise, for they unilaterally banned it because they felt it was not modern or kiwi enough. No consultation of course. We only do that if we know the outcome.

By and large NZ Anglicans have me pining for Rome. Mumble-bumbled amalgamation of the worst of a-liturgical worship with a few inane liturgical gestures thrown in out of place at random intervals because there is a faint memory that we used to do that sort of stuff.

Miserable sinners, all of them, eh, Zaps? Don't be in too much hurry to migrate to Rome. The Caffliks have the same problem. Only the Pope gets to choose how he wants his liturgy. And maybe a few scattered archbishops.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

GG, the folder my grandson likes, started out as a 21st present to me from my younger sister still at school. She copied recipes, pasted some in etc. I have added to the folder over the years, although not for a while. There are both sweet and savoury dishes, cakes, mains etc.

Some years ago I went through and picked out family favourites. Converted them to metric and had them printed out and bound. A copy for each of my sons. It is this that that grandson was reading.

I have a copy of the usual Edmonds book, bought on eBay. If anyone is interested, a bit of a search will also turn up a site selling pretty well all the Women's Weekly books at very reasonable prices.

After my gas meter debacle, I was given a credit of almost $2000. I have been using the heater if needed, but it is only in the last few days that it has been more than the evening few hours. Yesterday and today have been nastily cold.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
I have re-introduced said prose at my other centre - who love it and I love it! ...

Good on you! [Overused]

Many of the clergy now in senior positions here were trained when the BAS* first came out, and was being aggressively pushed by the PTB, and have never really used anything else. Most of them find that the Prayer Book is a breath of fresh air when they come to the Cathedral. [Smile]

* Book of Alternative Services, known not very affectionately as the Bloody Awful Service book. [Devil]

eta: I'll stop being Eccles-ish now. [Big Grin]

[ 13. July 2015, 13:48: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

When asked to lead an ecumenical devotional service at the local nursing home, I used the morning prayer service from the Anglican prayer book.

It is the service my Catholic husband reads every morning. Everyone over the age of 80 recognises all the parts therein and can say them without reading if necessary.

I had one diehard Salvationist who objected because she didn't like "liturgy" or rote prayers. When I pointed out that her Salvation Army service had both she denied this vehemently. But she had to concede she did know what "the order of service" would be each week and what version of scripture, psalm and song would be used.

She eventually came to appreciate how I ran the devotions, because of the quality contained in the liturgy - unlike many of the ad hoc attempts by others on the roster. I often get more coming to the Morning Prayer service each month than show up for what is offered on Sunday at the nursing home.

A good case for liturgy, IMHO.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

GG I am resigned to my heating bill going sky high over winter, due to hot baths which I love. The shower doesn't really cut it, probably because of the low pressure hot water. I am investigating a showerdome not only to keep down the steam in the bathroom, but because it keeps the heat of the water in the cubicle, thus maximizing its effect.

I am glad that I had insulation installed. I didn't think I was eligible for any kind of subsidy, but when I mentioned being asthmatic I discovered that I was.

Uncle Pete - I'm not a "miserable sinner" - at the moment I'm quite a happy one. [Razz]

The sun is shining here [Yipee]

Huia

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our electricity bill is reasonable, as we've installed some solar generating panels. Probably we're still behind on the capital cost vs income saving equation even with the subsidy which then applied to the installation (does it still? I haven't bothered to check.) but we have the warm inner glow that we've done the right thing. It's probably also made a small addition to the value of the house. The gas bill for the winter quarter will be heavy, as we have gas heating as well as the enclosed fire. Then there's the extra cost of heating the colder water. Maybe we should look at the costs of converting both to electricity.

Madame and I are having this week and part of next from work. Usually it's only a week mid-year, but we felt we deserved a bit longer this year and we were both able to juggle things. It may be colder here than in the city, but it was good not to have to be walking up the hill to the station in the dark, cold and rain on Monday morning.

[ 15. July 2015, 00:36: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Given the comments herein about liturgy-lite services (well, at least from the kiwi side of the fence), I thought it appropriate to extend to one and all in or visiting Sydney on the day, a warm invitation to our 2015 Feast of Title celebrations, which is being held at the Church of the Good Shepherd, Granville.

The Anglican Communities of Our Lady are now 5 years old (well, 5 years and 6 months, to be accurate). In that time we have grown from one to five communities, and by the end of the year there will be another 2.

The liturgical celebration is on Sunday, 2nd August at 1.30pm. There is a Solemn Choral Eucharist at which the preacher will be Geoff Officer (chief of Operation, Catholic Diocese of Parramatta); the choir is from St. Alban's Anglican Church, Epping; and the soloist will be John Coombs on the welsh harp.

While the music is still being determined, I can assure everyone of hearty singing, memorable choral pieces and maybe even something different - along with bells, smells and champagne afternoon tea with savouries, gateaux, tortes and other assorted sweets.

I will be only too happy to email an invitation to them: just PPM me with the address.

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

No coffee! Big blackout through Fivedock apparently. Not my suburb, but blackout must be wider than reported.. I have gas to heat water but grind beans fresh as needed. May postpone my hostly run round All Saints for a while till power comes back on. Am using iPad but need a hot drink.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
40 years ago, when I worked in a children's home, I had a hand grinder but for some bizarre reason the kids vied for the honour of grinding the beans - and being a kind man I let them do it.

[Big Grin]

Power cuts can be a pain here but these days are less frequent - a friend visiting from UK told me that there the company can be fined if they haven't given sufficient notice.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

We have had a couple of violent thunderstorms this morning. Apparently there was a fault in a substation. Have now remedied the coffee situation. Another low weather system is due to hit the East Coast again, bringing more violent and cold weather. Snowing west of Sydney again this morning.

--------------------

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

Cold oh cold on the Snowy River.... Mind you, the name kinda tells you what to expect.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I like those names that give fair warning.

There is a road that branches off State Highway 1 in the North Island called Cemetery Road and the sign under it says "No Exit".

Huia

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

I am very glad that I took this week off. It was another morning that walking up to the station in the cold, wet and windy weather would have been extremely unpleasant. As it is, we're sitting in comfortable chairs, the fire's burning nicely, some good reading out, and Madame made a pot of tea 10 minutes ago. Life can be good. Not so good when I have to go and fill the wood box, or we head out later on to shop, but we're enjoying this in the meantime.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  21  22  23 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016