homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Pacifica - Let us all Rejoice... Australia, NZ, islands, etc (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  21  22  23 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Pacifica - Let us all Rejoice... Australia, NZ, islands, etc
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My brother is already out shopping. He has overridden the temperature controls for the heating so house is warm to return to. It is very cold down here, wet and starting yo get windy..

Am about to make a coffee in an attempt to wake up.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Macrina, prayers and best wishes on your day from the 3 of us.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What a lovely morning after the last couple of days. Ever so much warmer than it has been, and sunshine. I am not sure how long it will last as there are clouds around, but a welcome change. Coldest winter days lately in 44 years.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gosh sorry I am late and didn't see this *blush* thankyou GeeD and associates for the good wishes [Smile]
Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Buried f-i-l's ashes this morning. Weather forecast was for bitter wind and potentially horizontal rain.

However, like the man in question, we had the unexpected - beautiful sun, no wind, and although it was cold, it wasn't bitter. We sprinkled Glen Morangie over him and drank to his peace.

RIP Jack.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Prayers for you, your partner and for Jack - may he rest in peace and rise in glory.

Macrina, the "us" are Madame, Dlet and myself.

[ 19. July 2015, 04:30: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Arabella Purity Winterbottom:
Buried f-i-l's ashes this morning. Weather forecast was for bitter wind and potentially horizontal rain.

However, like the man in question, we had the unexpected - beautiful sun, no wind, and although it was cold, it wasn't bitter. We sprinkled Glen Morangie over him and drank to his peace.

RIP Jack.

A lovely man. I see him, and the twinkle in his eye.

RIP Jack

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Prayers ascending for you and your partner, APW, and for the soul of Jack.

Rest eternal grant unto him, O Lord, and let light perpetual shine upon him. [Votive]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Specially for Piglet New Zealand's best-loved pig. Now living with a kind friend safe from people who only know 'they taste good'.
GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Piggy Sue - love it!
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What an adorable little piggy! [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As I watch very little TV, I missed that advert. It could almost put me off eating bacon for life - nah, not really. I'd be more impressed if Vodaphone sorted out the many interruptions to the service I've had, however that being said, my last conversation with one of their technicians was very helpful.

Good day planned here. A long postponed birthday lunch with a friend (from May!) and a hopeful 14c temperature forecast.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Enjoy the lunch. A balmy 14°! Lovely although last night was much warmer than it has been for weeks and I found it hard to sleep.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Enjoy your 14° - it's warmer than we're having here at the moment, and we're (technically anyway) in the middle of summer ... [Ultra confused]

--------------------

Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
Specially for Piglet New Zealand's best-loved pig. Now living with a kind friend safe from people who only know 'they taste good'.
GG

I heard the new owner talking on the radio a couple of weeks ago - he has completely fallen in love with the pig and was wondering if there were any retirement villages that would allow him to bring a pig with him when the time comes. It was very charming.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had a very weird boss once who wanted to keep a Vietnamese Pot-Bellied Pig as a pet, another colleague already had one.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

All welcome for dinner. Slow cooked shoulder of lamb with masses of rosemary and garlic. It has been on for hours and the aroma is making me hungry.

Unfortunately, it is just on 5:00 pm, so I will have to wait some time yet.

--------------------

Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
All welcome for dinner. Slow cooked shoulder of lamb with masses of rosemary and garlic. It has been on for hours and the aroma is making me hungry.

Unfortunately, it is just on 5:00 pm, so I will have to wait some time yet.

Sounds good. Pity we live so far apart!!

We have spent the afternoon cooking too. 2 doz scones in freezer, one pot of vegie soup, one pork casserole in slow cooker and chilli con carne. Nothing like a damp winters afternnon to do some cooking.

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

That all sounds good too. I don't expect much in the way of leftovers. The shoulder was quite big, over two kilos, but there will be plenty of people to eat it. I would like enough left for a small shepherd' s pie.

Oven on saves turning heater on, although today in Sydney has been fairly mild.

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

We've both had so many health issues this year that the hospital is almost a second home, so we're currently tucking in to Meals on Wheels. My only real cooking has been two batches of biscuits to welcome two new families to our little street, and this week I ran out of last year's marmalade and after two days of shop marmalade I got three grapefruit and made enough for a few months. Usually we'd be getting free fruit from a friend's tree at Matarangi and making enough to sell for Christian World Service, but here we are stuck in the city. [Waterworks]

GG

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

That's no good, GG. I hope there may be an improvement as spring approaches. It's hard when you feel you should b elsewhere.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
All welcome for dinner. Slow cooked shoulder of lamb with masses of rosemary and garlic ...

I'll be right over. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I blew up the microwave last night. I don't actually use it that much but it is useful for heating the milk for hot chocolate. So last night I had cold chocolate as well as a cold house as I has to air the kitchen to disperse the smoke to avoid setting off the smoke alarm. Having achieved that I went to bed at 8pm [Eek!] At least I had a good book.

The sun is out and there's a farmer's market at the Port so I'm going to put on 4 layers of clothing and venture out. Last time I went there I bought a yellow rose in memory of my father and roast chestnuts, being sold to fundraise for Nepal so I never know what I'll come home with.

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Sounds lovely Huia. The market , that is, not the microwave. I don't use mine much but it is definitely handy for heating milk.

Lovely day here, as was yesterday and fairly mild. Till tomorrow when another icy blast is forecast.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
I blew up the microwave last night ...

[Eek!]

D's late boss killed a microwave trying to make porridge in it - served him right! [Devil]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
The sun is out and there's a farmer's market at the Port so I'm going to put on 4 layers of clothing and venture out. Last time I went there I bought a yellow rose in memory of my father and roast chestnuts, being sold to fundraise for Nepal so I never know what I'll come home with.

The favourite of much-loved great aunt was a deep crimson rose with the classic rose scent. Seeing the rose, or having the scent, brings back memories of her, although it's now over 30 years since she died.

Our butcher has supported a community in Nepal for a number of years, going there regularly to build a school house, then a library for the school and so forth. There are a couple of collection tubs on the counter in his shop for loose change. He says that on their last visit, he and those with him built a good retaining wall for the school. In the quakes, the school was saved as was much of the village, largely as a consequence of building the wall. With the tubs and a sausage sizzle on the Saturday morning after the first quake, he raised a very substantial sum to send to the village. I find simple actions such as his amazing examples of the work of the Spirit amongst us.

Back to work tomorrow after a fortnight off to recharge. We spent quite a bit of last week just pottering around the Central West, stopping a couple of nights each at both Orange and Mudgee. Nothing in particular, just being quietly together.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

A lovely part of the world and an area where I could happily live.

My sister and I sometimes peruse the real estate sites finding places we like. Last week I found two out that way. An enormous place at Borenore, looking back to Mt Canobolas. Well cared for, pool and tennis court and some land with it. Under two million. Billiard room, ball room, various other rooms. In Southern Highland it would have been three times that.

The pub at Manildra was for sale, enough for us each to have a suite of rooms but also to be able to come together. Plenty of rooms for guests. That one was under $400,000. You know what that would have bought in Sydney with median house price now over a million.

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

A friend tells me she sometimes whiles away an idle hour on google earth looking at places where she'd lived in England in her youth.

While the Grandad and his buddy, aged 75 and 60ish, collectors of Egyptian postcards, spent a happy afternoon finding the address near Edinburgh to which a serviceman had sent postcards to his wife in 1945. The house was on a back section but they certainly found it and its neighbours, and the clothes on the clothesline – including a pair of green pantyhose. Next visit the said buddy, also English, found his father's house in London, and followed a bus for miles and miles.

And the Grandad calls me an addict because I check in every day on the two young black storks now flying from branch to branch near their nest. You should hear the racket when a parent brings food!

GG

--------------------

DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

- Posted      Profile for DangerousDeacon   Author's homepage   Email DangerousDeacon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
A lovely part of the world and an area where I could happily live.

My sister and I sometimes peruse the real estate sites finding places we like. Last week I found two out that way. An enormous place at Borenore, looking back to Mt Canobolas. Well cared for, pool and tennis court and some land with it. Under two million. Billiard room, ball room, various other rooms. In Southern Highland it would have been three times that.

The pub at Manildra was for sale, enough for us each to have a suite of rooms but also to be able to come together. Plenty of rooms for guests. That one was under $400,000. You know what that would have bought in Sydney with median house price now over a million.

In the process of selling our parent's house - mum is now in a nursing home, and dad needs to move to something a lot smaller. Originally bought by them as newlyweds in a small outlying semi-rural Sydney suburb in 1958 for 6,000 pounds. Wahroonga has somewhat changed since then, estimates are 1.6 to 1.8 million. Out of my price range by a magnitude of ten! Suspect it will not be bought by a first-home buyer.

--------------------
'All the same, it may be that I am wrong; what I take for gold and diamonds may be only a little copper and glass.'

Posts: 506 | From: Top End | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Madame grew up in Wahroonga, I in Warrawee, the next station south. Our grandparents all lived in the same general area. In the 50s, both were certainly much smaller than now, but I would not have said semi-rural even then.

A hard time for your father, but with that sort of money he should be able to buy a smaller house, or a unit close in to Wahroonga shops, and have plenty left over.

[ 28. July 2015, 11:46: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I grew up not far from Wahroonga and although I was a child of the 70s I agree semi-rural is a bit of a stretch even for the 1950s. It's been suburban since pre-Federation, with the railway line linking it to the city in the 1890s, large blocks of land with substantial houses but suburban none the less. (History of the local area was drummed into us at school for some reason.)
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Around what is now North Wahroonga, and along Fox Valley Road had some orchards. I can't now remember what was in the area east from Hornsby Hospital. The expressway made major changes there and really cut it all away from the rest of the suburb.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Something went funny with the last post. I had included:

Some very attractive streets just vanished; houses in others must have lost considerable value by reason of the manner in which the expressway went through.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

The area I grew up in was "in the sticks," according to my grandmother. It was on the edge of West Ryde. The whole area has now moved further west towards PArramatta. There was a dairy at the top of the street. That site is now an exclusive brethren hall. Our freshly washed kelpie used to go there to roll in a cow pat to get his proper scent back.

There were a couple of market gardens and two doors down was a poultry farm. On those occasions where mum decided the celebrations called for a chicken, one of us would go down. Some poor chook was grabbed, had its throat cut, was cleaned and dressed and we would carry it back home. Chickens were reserved for Easter Sunday roast and the occasional birthday. They were expensive. We also bought fresh milk from there, just milked from the cow. Collected in billy every morning and stored in an ice chest which we had till a fridge was bought.

Dad grew all our vegetables and had a wonderful flower garden too. Swane's nursery was at the bottom of the street and when they moved, he was allowed to take whatever he wanted from their house garden.

The builder doing our place and several others, went broke and disappeared. Dad finished the house in his time after school. He was a teacher. When we moved in, there were outside walls, a roof and not much else. Mum had to queue for nails etc and for such things as sinks, baths. This was a time of post war shortages. If the bath was bright purple, it was still accepted as who knew when another would be available.

There was the outside, non- sewered dunny and that gave us a fear of being there when the dunny man came each week to change the pan. No real chance of it, but the fear was there.

There were a couple of large brick places, but mostly small fibro houses. We played in the street and in the paddock out the back. I scrambled in the mangroves on the river bank at the bottom of the street. Not wise as they were both slippery and muddy.

[ 29. July 2015, 00:17: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm glad to hear that in someone else's childhood chickens were a luxury. They seemed like a very occasional treat when I was growing up, but I suspect it may have been more because my dad wasn't particularly fond of chicken. I have no idea how expensive they were (relatively speaking), so I don't know if economics had anything to do with it.

It's funny how these things change: we can buy a freshly-roasted chicken in Costco for about $8 (about $8.40 Australian), and it'll feed the two of us for two or three meals (plus the home-made stock that goes into casseroles, soups and whatnot).

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Piglet, I didn't even like chicken much. It was known as Rowley's rabbit to me, Mr Rowley being the owner of the poultry farm. I discovered at High school that my friend ate underground chicken as she did not like rabbit. Rabbit is now quite expensive down here, around $30 the last time I asked.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Chicken was definitely luxury for us in the 1950s in UK - lamb, pork or beef were the general Sunday Roast items. Having been a non-meat-eater for three decades and more I have no idea of current prices either here or in UK.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
St Ives had heaps of market gardens into the late 60s, I remember reading an article a few years back that claimed St Ives could never really be considered UNS because it was associated with plebeian things like market gardens. [Biased] unlike salubrious places like Killara and Wahroonga.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I would love a purple bath Loth, but I can imagine it wouldn't go down well at the time.

Chicken was really expensive here when I was growing up, but is now the cheapest meat (apart from the odd "special". My mother never cooked it because (she claimed) "It looks like roast baby." I don't think Dad liked it either.

I know Mum's family ate a lot of wild rabbit, so much so that when a fussy chicken loving Grandfather visited their mother somehow tied up the rabbit to resemble chicken. He is reputed to have said it was "The best damn chicken I've had in a long time".

Today I hitched a ride with some friends to see the seal pups playing under a waterfall in the bush at Kaikoura, several hours drive from here. I was very disappointed that none were playing in the pool, although several were lying in the bush nearby. Still they are wild animals and are not there for our convenience.

Huia

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:
Originally posted by Evangeline:
St Ives had heaps of market gardens into the late 60s, I remember reading an article a few years back that claimed St Ives could never really be considered UNS because it was associated with plebeian things like market gardens. [Biased] unlike salubrious places like Killara and Wahroonga.

There was always a bulge eastward to include the area along Mona Vale Rd to Cowan Rd, and Pymble Golf Club in any definition of the UNS. The rest of St Ives has always been doubtful territory....... These days, the SMH refers to such places as "leafy Naremburn" as being on the North Shore - wrong first about its being leafy, and then about being on the North Shore.

[ 29. July 2015, 08:55: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Well, it is north of the harbour. [Biased] however I agree with you about the use of North Shore to Naremburn. This sort of use is spreading but seems to me to be relatively recent.

--------------------

Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Out of interest, where is Naremburn, then? And should I be describing Cremorne as somewhere other than LNS?
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Naremburn is probably best described as north of the Bridge. Cremorne is definitely Lower North Shore, as are the suburbs in the general arc from Lane Cove/Riverview through to Mosman. But not North Shore pure and simple - that does not start until Boundary St Roseville - or perhaps William St.

--------------------

Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

Ah. This is familiar to me from London, where the borders of my so-called "golden postcode" stretched several miles into neighbouring postcodes, according to the estate agents.
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:
Originally posted by Evangeline:

There was always a bulge eastward to include the area along Mona Vale Rd to Cowan Rd, and Pymble Golf Club in any definition of the UNS. The rest of St Ives has always been doubtful territory....... These days, the SMH refers to such places as "leafy Naremburn" as being on the North Shore - wrong first about its being leafy, and then about being on the North Shore.
UNS is a state of mind more than geography. St Ives is more north shore than it is northern beaches but it's certainly not Killara or Roseville. It's hard to give it a geographical description if not UNS. Large swathes of Turramurra are pretty doubtful too-north and south Turramurra and even west Pymble and East Gordon are just not U [Biased]

I did see Gladesville described somewhere as LNS which I thought was a major stretch.

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And at the other end of the scale apparently there are still farmhouses you can rent for $1 a week in the outback. These are in country towns that are keen to get more families in their area so that their local schools doesn't have to close. I thought that this scheme was all done and dusted 5 years ago with the reality tv show following 10 families doing a tree change. Other country towns around Oz followed and there is still a website where applications can be sent. According to the rentafarmhouse site 6 families did make a successful change to remote living during the first (and only) show about it.

I am amazed the scheme is still chugging along. Must be some success stories in there I guess.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Gladesville is a riverside suburb, certainly not LNS save in the mind of an estate agent or journalist. No suburb with North, South, East or West in its name is on the North Shore; as someone once said, even the placement of Roseville is open to debate. (I would not, but Gordon's lucky it has North Shore suburbs either side.) Off from these serious matters to do some work.

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As someone who has lived for many years in a place that can be identified at a pinch as Pymble, rather than West Pymble, I'm now proudly embracing my inner "West". The proximity to the North Ryde business park is having fabulous effects on property values.

When I lived in Turramurra and attended Macquarie University, the joke at the expense of my fellow students who had graduated from a grammar school GeeD and I are familiar with was that they hadn't ever traveled as far west as crossing De Burgh's Bridge until O-week.

My grandfather and the generation before worked market gardens in Chatswood, down Fullers Road. Later, they were early settlers in St Ives - his three pear trees are now on the footpath of the widened Mona Vale Rd at the corner of Douglas St. Grandmother's name adorns the St Ives Bowling Club honour board - including 5 times Ladies Singles Champion.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Curly:
As someone who has lived for many years in a place that can be identified at a pinch as Pymble, rather than West Pymble, I'm now proudly embracing my inner "West". The proximity to the North Ryde business park is having fabulous effects on property values.

When I lived in Turramurra and attended Macquarie University, the joke at the expense of my fellow students who had graduated from a grammar school GeeD and I are familiar with was that they hadn't ever traveled as far west as crossing De Burgh's Bridge until O-week.

mr curly

As someone who went to a certain College of similar religious outlook to said Grammar school, believe me, the joke wasn't at their expense they loved it. " I've only been into a public school to vote" was something said to much chortling amongst old school chums at Sydney.

When the hell did Ryde become inner west? "tis outrage!

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Yes, Inner West used finish around the viaduct between Lewisham and Summer Hill. It now seems to go at least to Homebush, if not Parramatta yet.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  21  22  23 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016