homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Pacifica - Let us all Rejoice... Australia, NZ, islands, etc (Page 13)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  21  22  23 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Pacifica - Let us all Rejoice... Australia, NZ, islands, etc
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
LOL, yes well as somebody who lives in a riverside suburb on the other side to Gladesville I will just remind you all that according to Sydney Ferries (and they must be the authority) all ferry stops up to Abbotsford are "inner harbour" so I can say I live on the harbour thanks very much [Razz]
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My turn to have a dig at others. My suburb was western suburbs up to about mid 1970s. It then assumed mantle of inner west. Not far as the crow flies to the old marker Gee D mentions at Summer Hill. Property has risen amazingly even in the four years since I bought this apartment. I would almost certainly get about $120,000 at least over what I paid were I to sell now. However, even more inner west has gone up even more. I bought here as I liked the place, it had various advantages and was a reasonable price leaving me comfortable and able to use money to help others.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Actually Loth seeing you here reminded me, there's a choral evensong on at 3pm on 9th August at St Bede's in the harbourside suburb of Drummoyne [Biased] , if that's near you, you might be interested. I see St Docs still doen't have a permanent rector.

[ 30. July 2015, 08:41: Message edited by: Evangeline ]

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just saw a news report of an earthquake in Australia. 5.1, but reasonably deep. At least in NZ we grow up knowing they are a possibility. I hope everyone is OK (my knowledge of Australian geography is abysmal, but Bundaberg was named as a place where buildings were evacuated).

Huia - in solidarity with the shaky continent.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Evangeline:
Actually Loth seeing you here reminded me, there's a choral evensong on at 3pm on 9th August at St Bede's in the harbourside suburb of Drummoyne [Biased] , if that's near you, you might be interested. I see St Docs still doen't have a permanent rector.

Thanks. I think that is gathering for birthday for first granddaughter who turns fifteen next week. All five grandchildren are now in double figures. Help!

Mind the mangroves down in your Harbourside location. [Biased]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
I just saw a news report of an earthquake in Australia. 5.1, but reasonably deep. At least in NZ we grow up knowing they are a possibility. I hope everyone is OK (my knowledge of Australian geography is abysmal, but Bundaberg was named as a place where buildings were evacuated).

We are not immune but nothing like Christchurch. Thirteen people were killed in a quake in Newcastle some years ago. That is around two hours drive north of Sydney. Earthquakes, fairly minor also in mountains to west and southwest. We felt a few tremors about thirty years ago. Others in Victoria and quite a few in WA. Probably more places, but these come easily to my mind.

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:

There were a couple of market gardens and two doors down was a poultry farm. On those occasions where mum decided the celebrations called for a chicken, one of us would go down. Some poor chook was grabbed, had its throat cut, was cleaned and dressed and we would carry it back home. Chickens were reserved for Easter Sunday roast and the occasional birthday. They were expensive. We also bought fresh milk from there, just milked from the cow. Collected in billy every morning and stored in an ice chest which we had till a fridge was bought.

Dad grew all our vegetables and had a wonderful flower garden too. Swane's nursery was at the bottom of the street and when they moved, he was allowed to take whatever he wanted from their house garden.

The builder doing our place and several others, went broke and disappeared. Dad finished the house in his time after school.

There was the outside, non- sewered dunny and that gave us a fear of being there when the dunny man came each week to change the pan. No real chance of it, but the fear was there.

My dad was a teacher who loved building, and build more than one holiday bach. He also saved the solid old kauri school desks that got thrown out in favour of lighter modern furniture, and made himself a beautiful golden desk that must have taken two men to shift.
Early in the war time we lived in a small settlement not so far from Mt Egmont; the outdoor dunny (long drop) scared me because it was on the side of the house facing the mountain, and Dad had explained to me the difference between an extinct volcano and a dormant one so what Egmont if blew up when I was out there?
Nobody dreamed of eating chicken, it was beef or mutton, hogget if you were lucky. I'd walk down to the other end of the village to get a billy of fresh milk from the farm; there was a safe with mesh walls on the cool side of the house to keep meat, milk etc cool.
Dad was also a passionate gardener. Later in the war time, at a larger school, he laid out a quarter acre (I suppose) in squares of one rood, pole or perch allotted as gardens for pairs of standard five and six kids to grow veges for the War Effort.
Dad had won medals from an early age for rifle shooting, and sometimes shot a rabbit in the school horse paddock (yes, really) for dinner. The light must have been fading one evening when he wounded a bunny that fled into long grass and cried. He did kill it and Mum cooked it, but she and I wept into our stew while Dad tucked in to his.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

- Posted      Profile for DangerousDeacon   Author's homepage   Email DangerousDeacon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When I said their house in Wahroonga was in a semi-rural area, I was not exaggerating too much. It was built on an orchard, and my child hood memories include paddocks with horses (this is the northern end of Westbrook Avenue), remnants of orchards, and a large nursery at the end of the street.

But now ... top end MacMansions.

Mum will now never get back to the house to say good bye, her condition is far too gone. But I think for her, home was never Wahroonga, but the black soil plains of Narrabri where she was a child. She wants her ashes scattered at Mount Kaputar.

--------------------
'All the same, it may be that I am wrong; what I take for gold and diamonds may be only a little copper and glass.'

Posts: 506 | From: Top End | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

MT Kaputar is a beautiful place. My sister and her husband were National Park rangers for quite a while there in the 70s, I think. They lived onsite in a cabin there.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I got the North Wahroonga part right then. The views from Jubilee Oval are fantastic, perhaps more now than then as I have the feeling there's been some clearing to limit fires reaching the ridgetops. Very quiet and your father should get a good sum for it. A friend of my father recently moved into e 3-bedroomed unit at the UPA at the top of Ada Ave and speaks well of that. Nowhere near as expensive as many of the commercially built ones, and it may suit your father if he has hearing aids that can come out at night. Close to shops, transport, and easy for you on trips to see him. I don't know the deal there. The Grange at Waitara is a retirement village where the units are all strata title and the owners corporation runs the retirement village services. No attached nursing home attached though.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Happy birthday, Rowen. Have a great day.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What Loth said - many happy returns! [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks folks!
I had a great day. My Asian guest cooked yummy Chinese food for a dinner party. Gifts were appreciated.
Cold and wet..... But what else could I expect?

Today is much more so!

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That kind of guest is always welcome [Big Grin] Glad you had a great birthday.

Today the temperature reached 21c [Cool] A clear day and a warm Nor'Wester. I went out walking for an hour, which should be a good kick start to my exercise programme. I really need to get fitter because my GP is making threatening noises about a medical condition and my flippant comment of "You've got to die of something" doesn't impress her at all.

Huia

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
... Today the temperature reached 21c ...

Call that "winter"? [Devil]

In July there were only 4 days when the temperature reached over 20°, and it's meant to be summer here ... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

That's just it Piglet, 21c is usually a summer temp - a warm day in summer. We've had snow to sea level later than this. (OK, only a few days worth).

Huia

--------------------

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was warm enough yesterday to light our wood BBQ and sit out in the garden in just shorts. Cooler today. A t-shirt is needed.

LKKson2 is now getting established in a suburb of Tokyo with his Japanese girlfriend. Hope to visit there sometime next year.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

- Posted      Profile for DangerousDeacon   Author's homepage   Email DangerousDeacon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We have just accepted a good offer for the family home and found a wonderful apartment for Dad at North Turramurra. Unfortunately, we needed to exchange contracts now, because our powers of attorney for mum will soon cease to have effect. We are getting towards the end of the long goodbye, and I will soon be back in Sydney.

But for a few days, after being with family and then a very good Deans' Conference in Adelaide (hello Zappa!), back in Darwin enjoying the warmth of the Dry Season.

--------------------
'All the same, it may be that I am wrong; what I take for gold and diamonds may be only a little copper and glass.'

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

That's hard, DD. [Votive]

If your dad likes going out for coffee, my brother could recommend Replay at Turramurra. That is his afternoon coffee shop. He walks up and has other places for his morning and weekend purchases.

Will you have to pack up a house or has that been done earlier. That packing is also hard.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Seconding Lothlorien's brother in recommending Replay. That's a real favourite of ours, and of many living in our street and the connecting one. There are said to be a couple of good ones at North Turramurra, but we can't speak of them from personal experience. What we can speak well of is a restaurant there, well known, which is very much on the pricy side to eat there, but does vacuum-sealed foil packs of some of the main courses they offer, for $15 - all they need is poaching unopened in boiling water for the time set out on the pack. One of those, something to have on the side, then a tossed green salad followed by a piece of fruit makes an excellent dinner with very little demand on time. Just check their website for details of the full range - some sides are also available.

Another very pleasant place for coffee in good weather is at a well known nursery in Eastern Rd - probably your father knows of it already. Only cakes etc to eat, nothing savoury, but the coffee is normally good and the location relaxing and enjoyable. We go to the butcher nearby, who is excellent, and there's a small supermarket in the row of shops also. But plenty of shopping at North Turramurra as well.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

OK, will give Replay a try. Always on the look out for a good coffee shop when I visit Sin City. At this stage, back down on the Red Eye on Monday morning.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
quote:

We are not immune but nothing like Christchurch. Thirteen people were killed in a quake in Newcastle some years ago. That is around two hours drive north of Sydney. Earthquakes, fairly minor also in mountains to west and southwest. We felt a few tremors about thirty years ago. Others in Victoria and quite a few in WA. Probably more places, but these come easily to my mind.
There was one in Darwin a few weeks before I left. The NT News the next day reported "Darwin residents flee in terror." I opened one eye.

In fact it was a big one - if you happened to be in Indonesia and about 1000 kms from the Top End. But no, not in Darwin. Though Katherine had a big wobble about twenty years ago I think.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by DangerousDeacon:
... (hello Zappa) ...

[Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

I hope you both had a good trip to Adelaide and ensured ongoing prosperity for the local vignerons.

DD - I had forgotten until Zappa's post that you were now in Darwin and not driving down from the Hunter. When you do get to try Replay, it is in William St Turramurra, just at the western side of the station. There is a turning circle there and Replay is the other side of that. You may find it easier to park on the eastern side, either in Rohini St or the carpark out the back and walk across - a bit of along way around to try to park on the west.

--------------------

DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

Hi Gee D - yes, no longer a quick trip down the F3 / M1 or whatever the current code name for the Newcastle Freeway. But I will certainly be in the vicinity of Turramurra next week.

Whilst the Deans certainly sampled the stocks of South Australian vignerons, I suspect it was only a minute part of their sales!

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Enjoy your coffee - you won't see me there mid-week though. Don't forget to check out the nursery I mentioned as it may be easier for your father to get t0 and from and also for closer parking.

The reports I hear say that several superannuation funds in SA have had a very comfortable top-up - none of it due to you, I accept!

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by DangerousDeacon:
Whilst the Deans certainly sampled the stocks of South Australian vignerons, I suspect it was only a minute part of their sales!

... and I wagged that part of the conference anyway.

--------------------

DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

Ah Zappa, someone had to be the responsible leader of the Australasian Church, and I doubt that it is I!

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

We came out of church on Sunday and it was snowing. Fortunately it stopped soon after, but it's still really cold (4.3c but it feels like 1c right now). I just hope the forecast is accurate as it looks like this will be the coldest day this week.

I am wondering how many layers of clothing I can wear and still be able to move [Roll Eyes]

Visiting skiers welcome.

Huia

--------------------

DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

Mum died peacefully this morning, with the funeral to be held in the local Anglican church early next week. In life and in death we belong to God.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Holding you all in the Light at this tough time, DD.

[Votive]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Sorry to hear about your mum, DD.

May she rest in peace and rise in glory. [Votive]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

So sorry to hear this. Prayers for the family.

May she rest in peace and rise in glory.

--------------------

Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Rest eternal grant to her, O Lord, and let light perpetual ever shine upon her. [Votive]

DD, prayers for the repose of her soul and for the consolation of all those whom she loved and who loved her in return.

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My sympathies too

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive]

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Sorry to hear this DD. Prayers for you and family.

--------------------

Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My thoughts are with you DD. [Votive]

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
With you and your family, DD
[Votive]

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] [Votive] for DD and family

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Adding our prayers, DD.

I assume the funeral is at St Andrew's rather than at St Paul's. Madame may be able to get there, even if I cannot -are there any firm arrangements please?

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

[Votive] Sorry for your loss DD.
Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So sorry, DD. losing a parent is hard. [Votive]

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

DD - I have found the notice in today's SMH. I certainly cannot get there, barring something totally unforeseen. Madame is normally at the factory on Monday but may be able to get back. Keeping your mother, you and your family in our prayers.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Likewise, DD. [Votive]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Lovely night last night at local pizza place for my birthday this week. I get to have two celebrations as some family could not make it last night. We are well known at the place which is only a minute or so to walk from my former home and we have been going since the place opened many years ago. We always get great food and good service.

A pleasant evening had by all.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

A happy birthday from us.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Birthday blessings from me too, Loth. At least the week looks like getting warmer as it goes on!

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Happy birthday, Loth, and enjoy your second party! [Smile]

eta: if Loth has two birthdays, should we be treating her with a little more respect? You know - curtseying while we type, that sort of thing?

[Paranoid] [Overused]

[ 16. August 2015, 02:29: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  21  22  23 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016