homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Pacifica - Let us all Rejoice... Australia, NZ, islands, etc (Page 17)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Pacifica - Let us all Rejoice... Australia, NZ, islands, etc
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Better: spring forward into spring, fall back into fall. But it's evil and makes the baby Jesus Cry.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have always enjoyed the longer evenings, such as they are down here. Last year I did not enjoy it at all. I never seemed to quite get used to the change.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Although I'm aware that many people think it's unnecessary here in Newfoundland* I'm actually quite happy when the clocks change. I think my internal clock is programmed to expect a change in October and March and I'd miss it if it weren't there. Maybe it's because I grew up in Orkney (latitude 59°N) where the change made a difference, particularly in the winter.

Obviously I prefer the one where you get an extra hour in bed ... [Snore]

* There's one province - I think it's Saskatchewan - where they don't change at all, and I can't quite get my head round that idea.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, it is Saskatchewan. Apparently when DST was being debated there was a strong farming lobby which pointed out that cows, etc. don't understand DST.

Since then, it has remained a minefield for even the people who know this. I once woke up a ninety year old woman to thank her for her donation of a book at what I thought was 0900 her time. It wasn't. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There was a small farming settlement in NZ called Awarua where they refused to change their clocks many years ago for much the same reason. Georgie-Porgy, being a Cat Who Knows Where Her Food Bowl Is has no objection to being fed an hour earlier, but it's a different story at the other end when I have to graduate the time.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Georgy will be waiting, Huia , because clocks go forward. Can you adjust her time over about a week by being a bit later every couple of days? Then the extra hour will be taken up.

It is cold here. Changeable spring weather. Last two nights have been down to around 6 degrees. Howling gale and driven rain. Yesterday we had rain but no clouds overhead. Then the rain moved on and the clouds caught up.

Typical funeral weather. There is a funeral at Rookwood which I should attend tomorrow. I am fighting off stuffy nose although I don't think it is a cold.

I may not go. Miss M and her sister will be here over weekend and I do not want to pass on anything to her with her lowered immunity.

Brethren service to be conducted in All Souls Chapel which amuses me. Service booked for 90 minutes, then half an hour at graveside which is super short for brethren. Then time at the café.

I have just done some research. All Souls Chapel used to be All Saints but name was changed.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Queensland, a tiny pocket of New South Wales, and the Northern Territory have the good sense to eschew clock fiddling.

[ 24. September 2015, 08:42: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And WA

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think I'm more muddled than I usually am re clock fiddling (I like that description Zappa) because the Doctor changed my diabetic meds and confusion is labelled as one of the side effects. Not that anyone warned me [Hot and Hormonal] I just went round in a daze wondering what was wrong with me. It's difficult when you live by yourself and there's no outside observer.

I usually break G-P into the new timing gently, otherwise toes get bitten.

Loth I hope you're feeling better soon.

Huia

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My only experience of the vagaries of feline body-clocks was an occasion when we were staying with my sister, and sleeping in the same room as her cat.

My nephew, who was the Keeper of the Can-Opener, was working very early shifts and had to get up at five in the morning. Smudge, having heard (or perhaps sensed) his footsteps on the stairs, clambered inelegantly over the sofa-bed in which D. and I were trying to sleep, and shot through to the kitchen ...

No sense of timing whatsoever. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We have had many cats over the years, all gone now. The last one would go out every night for a scratch at 9.30 without fail. When it came time to change the clocks either back or forward, she would adjust almost the next day. It still amazes us now after 6 years she knew!!

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
B1 has to travel to Brisbane today for work. Not daylight saving here or there, until the weekend, when she arrives back and it changes here. She will readjust for here, then mid next week she has another 10 days of work in Brisbane, where she will readjust to non-daylight saving, and then back here where she will have to adjust her schedules again.

She is not good with keeping to schedules at the best of times, so I will be looking on with interest during the next fortnight! I expect TP & I will be doing a fair bit of morning 'encouragement' to get people out the door on time for work, planes, school etc.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Been there and done that BL, especially with son #3. Best way we found was to put on CD from hated singer. Put player well away from his bed. Turn up volume really, really loud and leave the house. Tammy Wynette worked really well at getting him awake.

He missed an exam twice at uni where he did not wake in time. He had set two alarms and slept through both. A doctor then gave him a certificate so he could do exam, citing sleeping difficulties.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Been there and done that BL, especially with son #3. Best way we found was to put on CD from hated singer. Put player well away from his bed. Turn up volume really, really loud and leave the house. Tammy Wynette worked really well at getting him awake...

I think Tammy Wynette counts as cruel and unusual punishment!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Tammy Wynette awakening did little to promote a good temper for the rest of the day. I think the CD was a joke type present to one of the boys.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Tammy Wynette counts as cruel and unusual punishment ...

... along with all Country & Western singers. [Projectile]

I've just realised that the clocks here go back the morning of the day we're heading across the Pond, which should be interesting. We'll "gain" an hour of sleep on the Sunday morning, then "lose" the night by travelling east. I'll be interested to see the overall effect on our zonked-ness levels* once we get there ... [Snore]

* We both find that jet-lag is worse going west to east, and we're like wet rags for a couple of days afterwards.

[ 01. October 2015, 03:45: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I see an obituary today for Faith Patterson, long time principal of St Catherine's School for Girls at Bronte. I was there on boarding staff the year her fiancé was killed in a car crash. She was on leave for months.

Her staff were always supported by her in public but she could be caustic in private and we all did our best to stay on her good side.

She was a graduate of my alma mater, HGHS, although many years before me.

Sunday evening was a casual meal, taken in staff sitting room instead of dining room with boarders. All other night but Sunday, staff and boarders dressed more formally for dinner. I still cringe at the glare I received one evening. Cake was hot from the oven. Unfortunately, one piece fell apart on my teaspoon and splashed noisily into my cup of tea. Not an experience I would want to repeat.

[ 01. October 2015, 04:00: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Your right, Piglet. Flying from in an eastward direction is still much worse for jet lag, even with the lie-flat seats to help get a better sleep.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
... even with the lie-flat seats ...

I'm afraid we can only dream of lie-flat seats. Or we could, if we could actually get to sleep ... [Snigger]

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You darn Aussies are posting memes on Facebook telling people the clocks go forward next Sunday in South Australia. I want you to stop it RIGHT now. You're confusing the unaware in the Northern Hemisphere.

[Two face]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
... even with the lie-flat seats ...

I'm afraid we can only dream of lie-flat seats. Or we could, if we could actually get to sleep ... [Snigger]
At least your journey to Europe is considerably shorter than ours. London is 22 to 24 hours, other cities vary depending on connecting flights from an intermediate stop.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
You darn Aussies are posting memes on Facebook telling people the clocks go forward next Sunday in South Australia. I want you to stop it RIGHT now. You're confusing the unaware in the Northern Hemisphere.

[Two face]

Clocks go forward here in NSW and other eastern states in the early hours of Sunday morning. Not Queensland, which is an hour behind in time as the sun fades the curtains there.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

The real reason for the lack of daylight savings in Queensland goes back to Bjelke-Petersen's time as Premier, and nothing to do with curtains fading. . B-P thought that the sun shone out of his arse, and he'd be buggered if he were going to get out of bed an hour earlier.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I take it Mr. Bjelke-Petersen wasn't exactly a popular chap ... [Big Grin]

You're quite right about how short our flight it, Gee D - at only 5-ish hours (depending on direction) it's really no longer than many flights within Europe. Our only excuse is that the night gets lost, and you arrive at silly-o'clock in the morning, which doesn't suit the lesser nocturnal piglet.

--------------------

Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Don't you worry about that, Piglet...
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

He became Sir Johannes, strong evidence that while HM may be gracious, and also Supreme Governor of the C of E, she does not have the infallibility of HH. He was popular enough in Queensland, and kept getting returned as Premier (ie, for Orfeo's sake the party of which he was leader kept winning the majority of seats in the State Parliament). A gerrymander of sizeable proportions helped. His wife, known inaccurately as Lady Flo, became a senator for Queensland.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

B-P was a New Zealander, who crossed the ditch. Another politician called him ä "Bible-Bashing bastard", but it's only the phrase that sticks in my mind, not the reason nor the name.

It's amazing what stays in the mind of someone who misplaces her library card with monotonous regularity [Hot and Hormonal]

Huia

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You still have library cards in NZ?
Wow. Haven't seen one of those for years. TP orders all his books online with his pincode, then picks them up from the front desk of the library whenever he happens to be passing by.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
B-P was a New Zealander, who crossed the ditch. Another politician called him ä "Bible-Bashing bastard", but it's only the phrase that sticks in my mind, not the reason nor the name.

It's amazing what stays in the mind of someone who misplaces her library card with monotonous regularity [Hot and Hormonal]

Huia

The name-caller was Gough Whitlam; he did so because B-P was flaunting his religious beliefs for the purpose of garnering votes. B-P was a staunch Lutheran, a pretty rare denomination then and even more so now IIRC.

--------------------

Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Feeling pretty hellish about the canards being trotted out about why QLD didn't go with daylight savings. You want to know the real reason? Because kids out west were getting up at 4:30 to catch a 5:30 bus ( normal time - it's justified by saying it's really 5:30 and 6:30 by the clock...) to get them to the nearest school, and then it wasn't getting dark out here until around 9:30pm. *That* is what the extra hour of daylight after work for Brisbaneites was costing the rest of the State. [Mad] And, yes, I lived with it for many years in NSW and ACT. One extra hour of daylight for some is not worth the sleep depravation of the rest. Nothing to do with JBP, and everything to do with a Statewide referendum.

[ 02. October 2015, 22:54: Message edited by: Athrawes ]

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sinistærial
Ship's Lefty
# 5834

- Posted      Profile for Sinistærial   Author's homepage   Email Sinistærial   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi all. Quick break from exile to let you know that Women's ordination failed at the LCA synod this morning.... by 13 votes. 64.9% voted for 2/3 required. sadface.

--------------------
People laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at other people because they are all the same.
æ = æ

Posts: 894 | From: The Holy City - Adelaide | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sinistærial! Missed you! [Yipee]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Athrawes I can understand the difficulties for country children because some people here have suggested that the clock be permanently moved forward (adding to the hour that was moved during the war) which would mean children waiting for the school bus in the dark in some country areas. From a safety point of view I think it is unacceptable.

--------------------

Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you, Huia, for your gracious reply to my rather snippy post [Hot and Hormonal] Yes, that is part of the problem. The other part is that days tend to get longer the further North and West you go. So, while Daylight saving has a place on the Eastern Seaboard and in Southern states, it causes some serious problems in the North West, which many people are totally unaware of. And, when you try to explain, you get the old " fades the curtains" stuff trotted out. After a while it wears really thin.

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Thanks for the update, Sinisterial. No female bishops in your denomination for another decade then, I guess...

--------------------

DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

- Posted      Profile for DangerousDeacon   Author's homepage   Email DangerousDeacon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Celebrated St Francis Day this morning with a blessing of the animals. Now packing to leave for Manila (flight at 5.00 am) to attend Council of Churches in East Asia. No sleep tonight.

--------------------
'All the same, it may be that I am wrong; what I take for gold and diamonds may be only a little copper and glass.'

Posts: 506 | From: Top End | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We had our animal service on Saturday - it's a sort of city-wide thing, and most of the people who come aren't from our regular congregation, but there's usually a fairly decent crowd.

--------------------

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
He became Sir Johannes, strong evidence that while HM may be gracious, and also Supreme Governor of the C of E, she does not have the infallibility of HH. He was popular enough in Queensland, and kept getting returned as Premier (ie, for Orfeo's sake the party of which he was leader kept winning the majority of seats in the State Parliament). A gerrymander of sizeable proportions helped. His wife, known inaccurately as Lady Flo, became a senator for Queensland.

That did make me chuckle. To say gerrymandering "helped" Sir Joh get into and maintain power is like saying oxygen helps me stay alive. It was the only reason he got in, or stayed in.

Lovely time at one of my favourite pubs this past Sunday arvo with some of my favourite current (and former) shippies - AdamPater, Clarence, and Foaming Draught. The priestly contingent, including rexory and Evensong, were off being holy at Synod, but were missed. jugular is still somewhere overseas, I think currently in Israel.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Litotes, DK, Litotes. The gerrymander helped B-P as it had helped the ALP (which estabished it) for over 40 years.

--------------------

Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Completely random fact and not related to anything serious: B-P was born in Dannevirke and grew up with my grandmother. You'd have to be pushing it to be a Lutheran in Dannevirke these days, but maybe it was different then.

My nana couldn't stand him either as a child or as a politician.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Litotes, DK, Litotes. The gerrymander helped B-P as it had helped the ALP (which estabished it) for over 40 years.

Right. Which impacts my point not one iota, and so it still stands.
But I'm not going to bang on about politics here anymore, as it will just mean Wodders will have to come and tell me off. And I quite like him, and so will spare him the hassle.

Time to talk about ... religion ...

Tough couple of weeks for football fans over here in the West, as the Hawks demolished both our oval ball teams in successive weeks. In good news in Australian religion, the upstart North Queensland team beat the established Queensland team in Rugby League, a sport that no one outside of NSW and Queensland gives even half a shit about.

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fair play, Dark Knight - the Victorians care when they're trying to get rugby league games that have very little to do with them played in Melbourne.
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Dark Knight:
... Rugby League, a sport that no one outside of NSW and Queensland gives even half a shit about ...

Oh I don't know - I believe it's quite big in parts of the north of England. [Big Grin]

All I know about it is that the team's a different size from rugby union, so I'm not really much help.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Dark Knight, I can cheerfully tell you that on AFL Grand Final Day everything in Canberra went on as normal. But as the time for the NRL Grand Final approached, the Broncos/Cowboys bunting was out, the liquor shops and hardware stores emptied and all went eerily quiet on the roads until late evening when moderate car honking could be heard.

Had it been an NSW team in the GF it would have been a very noisy night accompanied by lots of burnouts, even in this civilised city. Having relatives in both Brisbane and Townsville, I stayed happily on the fence. At least Queensland can revel in the outcome for a while - unlike the stream of bedraggled eagles supporters heading home across the Nullarbor with empty wallets and large hangovers.

I suppose it did the economy some good. I find it all mildly amusing - especially when sobbing supporters are targeted by the cameras. There are many wonderful causes to be passionate about that better our world and our society but I fail to see how professional sport does either of those things.
Someone please enlighten me.

--------------------

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

How does Canberra count as outside NSW? Inside NSW, certainly. Much like a colon is inside one's body.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Banner Lady professional sport doesn't move me either, but then I am probably moved by things that sports lovers would find equally inexplicable.

Both Women's refuge and police stats show a rise in domestic abuse when the All Blacks or the Crusaders (local rugby team) lose. If supporters could limit themselves to crying their eyes out when their team lost it would be a marked improvement.

Huia

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

DK: Only those who have settled here from elsewhere in NSW consider themselves still part of NSW. The rest of us are a different species altogether.

Cold front has come through. TP is most relieved. I managed to get out of long sleeves for one day and am now back in winter kit. Sigh.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Arabella Purity Winterbottom:
Completely random fact and not related to anything serious: B-P was born in Dannevirke and grew up with my grandmother. You'd have to be pushing it to be a Lutheran in Dannevirke these days, but maybe it was different then.

My nana couldn't stand him either as a child or as a politician.

When he returned to Dannevirke in about 1982 for a centenary of something at the Lutheran church I was supposed to join a crowd that picketed the church - unfortunately I went down with 'flu
[Waterworks]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Dark Knight:
Rugby League, a sport that no one outside of NSW and Queensland gives even half a shit about.

Oh, there's a few in the southern suburbs of Auckland do ... but bugger all anywhere else

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Last day of school holidays today.
Things I have learned this week:

Lego makes cool Monster High stuff.
X box have a very addictive Jurassic Park lego game. And a hobbit one.
Despite its golden raspberry award, Pixels is a very enjoyable movie if you are not a snooty movie critic. Perfect for primary schoolers, and I got to explain Max Headroom to my grandchildren.
Making stuff out of boxes is still a fun thing to do at 7.
Ninja mind challenges are a great car game.
Tag team story telling gets excited children off to sleep.
Licking the cake bowl is still the best way to end a baking session.

[Smile]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016