homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Pacifica - Let us all Rejoice... Australia, NZ, islands, etc (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  21  22  23 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Pacifica - Let us all Rejoice... Australia, NZ, islands, etc
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
... Anywhere between 25 and 35 is my comfort zone ...

25-35 Centigrade??? [Eek!]
quote:
I did not realise that raised humidity can increase the pain levels in arthritis sufferers ...

A friend of ours who suffers from severe rheumatoid arthritis says it's much worse when the weather's humid (although very cold weather doesn't do her any favours either).

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Huia,
Thinking of you [Votive]

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Huia, prayers for you and all others in Christchurch. 6.4 sounds a largish quake to me, certainly one which would be unnerving.

BL, of course your mother should make any decision like that herself if she is capable, and also her wishes should she become incapable of making a decision on her own. Also you should have a conversation with her about Do Not Revive. We (ie relevant family) have done so for my father and Madame's mother. We had also had the conversation with my mother and it was comforting for all of us when the time came to be able to give proper instructions to her doctor and the nursing staff. Madame's father had gone too far down his Alzheimer's path before we really thought of this and I think that made it harder for her and her siblings.

I don't know if you have siblings, but they are an essential part of it. Don't forget a similar discussion with your children about their grandparents before you meet your siblings and then your mother.

Barnabas Aus, we are both arthritis sufferers, and Sydney summers are becoming harder and harder. It's not as bad here at the beach, but home in the weeks up to Christmas was very difficult. Much better west of the divide, even with the greater heat. I thought that up the valley would have been similar. Thoughts for your wife.

There should be several Nobel prizes for those who discover a cure. One would not be enough.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The humidity lately has affected my (Osteo) arthritis quite badly.

Aches and quite severe pain in many places, I can't straighten fingers stc.

Sleeping is difficult. If I can find what is just right with pillows, covers etc then I sleep a bit. Last night I was awake for over five hours.

Inland dry heat is much better for it. Cudal, Bathurst and similar places. Canberra etc.

I have resorted to a few days of the nasty tablets to calm down the inflammation.

[ 06. January 2015, 01:41: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

- Posted      Profile for DangerousDeacon   Author's homepage   Email DangerousDeacon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Darwin is definitely not recommended at this time of the year for those who have difficulties with humidity! 90% at present, temperature about 30 degrees.

--------------------
'All the same, it may be that I am wrong; what I take for gold and diamonds may be only a little copper and glass.'

Posts: 506 | From: Top End | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Humidity in the mid seventies here over the last week, followed by the thunderheads piling up and what feels like a tropical downpour at the end of some days (warm fat rain, lots of it, but passing quickly). Dry lightning last night, as the rain passed to the south. Certainly not the dry heat of past years.

We are a practical family, Gee D, so Mum has done all the paperwork regarding what she does and does not want regarding revival, paid for her funeral and made TP her executor. She did that both to spare me, and in recognition that as a retired paper pusher, TP would do everything most efficiently. If there is one thing that pleases my mother, it is efficiency. To her credit, she is still streamlining her living arrangements. I spent an hour yesterday removing unwanted paper and bric a brac from her room. The rest of her may be packing it in, but her hands, eyes and brain are fine, and the pointy finger was working overtime....

Yes, piglet, 25-35 centigrade. Like my mother, I don't even get out of long sleeves until it gets to 30! Being able to enjoy the heat is getting more difficult though. I hate going to shopping centres or visiting places with air conditioning as it is invariably turned down to somewhere between 17 and 21. This means I always have a cardigan in my bag, even on scorching days. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
... turned down to somewhere between 17 and 21 ...

That's more like it ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I agree, Piglet quite comfortable.

Today my middle brother starts the long drive from Miami to New York with two cats in the car [Eek!] He and his partner are moving house again. I worried as he hates driving in snow, although he does have some experience of it from when he last lived in NY,

At the other end of the temperature range, a friend and I are picking up my oldest brother in Picton on Saturday and bringing him back to Christchurch, a 12 hour round trip with 29c the forecast temperature for the day, I hope they're wrong,

Huia

[ 06. January 2015, 19:17: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Best wishes BL. I hope I did not seem to be labouring the points, but things were left too late with Madame's father and he could not take part in the discussions in any meaningful way. While I have no doubt that the right plans were agreed on and put into action a few years down the track, I am sure that he would have liked to be a part of making them.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
They were all good questions to ask Gee D, and it made me grateful that I am not in the dark regarding such matters. My aged P has made it very very clear what her wishes are - including what to be dressed in for the funeral - and this is a great blessing. I hope I am as clear when my time comes. My mother-in-law, on the other hand, simply refuses to talk about any such arrangements, and is offended if anyone broaches the subject of death. But then she is not at peace with either God or herself, so maybe that is to be expected.

Perhaps TP & I should begin writing down all our own wishes, so that our daughters cannot argue over any of the details. When I get some time! [Help]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
BL, while I was still in the thick of visits to solicitor post divorce and buying this place, I did all those things. It felt good to know I was making things easier for my sons.

I also drew up identical letters to them with memos of funeral, who needed to know what, bank account details, Ship details and similar. As far as I know, they all filed these away unopened.

Unfortunately a close friend of mine is not well, has no family and does not have anything like this done. His will is old and out of date. His ill health is not helping his brain see that he needs to act now and a group of us is trying to help him. Unfortunately we have only concerns, not authority. He has asked me multiple times if I have done the things we are suggesting to him. He is surprised when I say it was getting on for four years ago.

You have met this friend, BL, in Canberra.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mrs BA has both osteo and rheumatoid, with spine severely affected, and she is in much the same situation. If she can find a comfortable position she can sleep, but otherwise is up walking the floor. Some nights it is more comfortable for her to be in a La-Z-Boy recliner, and I will find her there when I wake.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry for the double post, but the one above got caught up in the maintenance process, and so refers to posts somewhat fyurther upthread.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas Aus:
Mrs BA has both osteo and rheumatoid, with spine severely affected, and she is in much the same situation. If she can find a comfortable position she can sleep, but otherwise is up walking the floor. Some nights it is more comfortable for her to be in a La-Z-Boy recliner, and I will find her there when I wake.

While I am not as severely affected as Mrs BA, I can attest that if ever I am really unable to sleep (not often,I'm glad to say) then my La-Z-Boy will soon put me to sleep.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The humidity does normally affect me but this summer have developed 'kankles' for the first time and a dull ache in one ankle. Must be getting old!!

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:

You have met this friend, BL, in Canberra.

I am so sorry to hear this, Loth. You are a good friend indeed, to keep trying to bring him some focus. There is one resident in my mother's aged care facility who simply refuses to engage with making any such arrangements. Her attitude is that it is someone else's problem to bury her, so she doesn't care a toss about how she leaves her affairs. This makes me even more grateful for my particular P.

Not that I expect I will have to bury her any time soon now - she has rallied with a change in pain medication and yesterday was quite sprightly. It may be a brief respite, but we will soon see.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Thank you, BL . The other friend and his wife whom you also met at the Gallery and another couple all keep an eye on him and keep each other in the loop as to developments. One of my sons is trying to untangle his computer messes and the other two help out too..

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

B1.2 is 9 today. His mother made him his favourite pasta meal and favourite mudcake, which we have all just enjoyed. He decided to dress for dinner and appeared wearing his school tie over a rock t-shirt, and with his usually spiky hair neatly laying flat. [Razz]

It has been a good evening with much laughter.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Happy birthday to him. It sounds lije a good time was had.

Mine were allowed to choose birthday meal. One chose savoury mince on toast!

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Huia,

I think you were my secret santa.
I will post here as it is a fellow New Zealander if I am wrong.
The little wall hanging sits on the side of my computer monitor, and brings me joy and a little prayer of thanks for its creator daily. Thank you for the smiles and the lightening of my spirit with this thoughtful and beautiful gift.

Patdys

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

I think the outdoor area is beginning to retaliate to all the changes made to it over the last few years. The oak trees on our nature strip are in their full green glory, but there is one branch that hangs low over our hedge, just where I have constructed a raised walkway to the letterbox. The branch bobs about wildly in windy weather, and we know to avoid it then. A few days ago TP and I stopped on the walkway to discuss the addition of some edging plants along it. There was hardly a breeze, but just as we agreed on lavender, the branch bobbed down and thwacked me across the side of the head.

"Right," said TP, "I guess we won't be having lavender then"
I rubbed my head and replied "Perhaps instead of the Whomping Willow, we've got the Thwacking Oak." We will both be watching where we stop to talk from now on.

Having paved a large courtyard area and watched how hot it got over the last month, I happened to mention a pergola might be a good idea, as long as it had a removable cover for winter. SIL gave me a portable one to try out, as there is nowhere at their new house for it.

The instructions stated 4 people were needed to put it up.
As everyone has been busy I decided to do it myself early on New Year's Day. I had been congratulating myself over the last few days, thinking that perhaps they should amend the instructions to 4 people or 1 nanna until the rain arrived. One corner of the cover is not as straight as the others, and it fills that quarter of the canopy with water. As it has mostly been raining overnight, pushing a broom head from underneath will empty it quite effectively.

It rained all night last night, so when I got up this morning the canopy was groaning under the weight and I hastened out in my pyjamas to get rid of it before the poles began to bend.
It was so full I could barely push the weight of water upwards. I heaved it so hard the corner of the canopy popped off drenching me with several bucketloads of water.

Please picture BL, at dawn, standing stunned and wet in her pyjamas still holding a broom aloft.

It's like being in a Hary Potter novel around here. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Been there and done that, although with a huge fly over a large tent. At least it's not Canberra mid-winter!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... the branch bobbed down and thwacked me across the side of the head ...

Could you just lop off the (quite literally) offending branch? [Eek!]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Piglet, this may not be the only reason not to lop. BL may well like the branch there. However, in many places down here random lopping and chopping is illegal. It requires local council approval.

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Piglet, this may not be the only reason not to lop. BL may well like the branch there. However, in many places down here random lopping and chopping is illegal. It requires local council approval.

Even if you lop just the part of the branch that hangs over your property?
Actually many councils here have similar regulations, especially (but not only) native trees over a certain size. Then, of course, the same council will chop down a popular tree of their own for apparently trivial reasons.
Our Matarangi house has a huge pine tree immediately to our north, on the adjoining reserve. We measured it years ago and told the council it would fall on our house if it blew over in a northerly. They replied that it is not their policy to fell healthy trees. Now it is even bigger, and cuts off the bulk of our sun in winter if we're there, and in a big storm last year many of the remaining mature pines blew right out of the ground or had to be felled (the whole area was planted in pines before being developed for housing). But I guess we're still stuck with it; it's certainly still very healthy. The herons which now nest in it are safe anyway – they used to be further west where many trees have gone.
In the city last week I saw them demolishing four huge, beautiful, shady golden elms, apparently because they want to widen the footpath (can't see why). They say the will replace them with, I think, 22 Italian alders – ???. Details from a media report after some ratepayers asked for an explanation.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

You can lop a branch from a neighbour's tree and put the branch back over the fence, but there are regulations for trees on your own property. Trunk thickness has to be a certain size, but that size means tree is fairly young. We had a large gum tree and applied for permission to lop. Getting permission involved a discussion with an inspector from council, an arborist.

I am not in favour of lopping or cutting down, am a bit of a greenie, but there are times when it is necessary for safety. There have been times also here when permission was refused and the tree later caused harm an dinjury.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Every tree in our fair city that is planted by the city council has been given a value. This increases with age. The three oaks, now over fifty years old are valued at many hundreds of thousands of dollars. They are possibly worth even more than our inner city house and quarter acre block.

While I might be tempted to lob the branch if it was hitting a window, or low enough to take out a grandchild, I am not inclined to touch it. If I was reported by a neighbour the fine would possibly be akin to the tree's value. As they are still growing, the branch will get a little higher each year. I'm prepared to wait!

I seriously love driving down our street in summer. The oak leaves from each side now touch in the middle to make a tunnel of green. There are avenues to castles and stately homes that are not as beautiful. I'll put up with the occasional thwacking!

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

To say nothing of the cost to taxpayers around Australia in establishing Canberra as such an attractive city.

Burns Rd Wahroonga is a similar great pleasure to drive along at this time of the year - deep green shade, cool in the summer's heat, and quiet. Then other streets here, usually close in on the western side, where there are remnants of the blue gum forests, tall sparse trees against the deep blue sky.

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
You can lop a branch from a neighbour's tree and put the branch back over the fence, but there are regulations for trees on your own property. Trunk thickness has to be a certain size, but that size means tree is fairly young. We had a large gum tree and applied for permission to lop. Getting permission involved a discussion with an inspector from council, an arborist.

I am not in favour of lopping or cutting down, am a bit of a greenie, but there are times when it is necessary for safety. There have been times also here when permission was refused and the tree later caused harm an dinjury.

In my inner-west municipality if a tree in your neighbour's property overhangs yours you can't touch it even to get rid of the overhanging bit-we had disputes with tree hating neighbours and they weren't allowed to lop branches off our trees.

There has been some relaxation on the tree preservation frenzy every since houses started being lost to bush fires and councils got nervous about being sued. Ku-ring-gai (where Burns Rd Wahroonga is) used to be manic about tree preservation, but much of that council area is in bush fire zones so they've stopped making it an offence to lop or cut down a tree that is within a certain distance of your house. Mind you, developers cutting down every living thing to throw up ugly and out of keeping with the area, apartment blocks was approved willy-nilly by the previous state government.

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
As they are still growing, the branch will get a little higher each year. I'm prepared to wait!

The branch won't get higher; trees don't grow that way. The branch will get longer, which may mean that it will hang lower.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

The branches are getting longer each year, this is true. But when we arrived 30 years ago the oak trees were the same height as our house. They now tower over it, giving wonderful shade to the corrugated metal roof. The branches from the trunk that we could once touch are now beyond our reach. Mind you, the possum that has moved in has a great time leaping from them on to our roof and back again.

Once a year or so the trees are inspected to see they are not hitting any power lines. I tremble with fear when that happens, because we have seen some dreadful tree butchering in other streets around here and I am hopeful the oaks will not be similarly mutilated. There is a certain symmetry to them that I would hate to see lost. So far so good.

--------------------

Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We have the tree vs powerline inspections periodically, too. Over here in NSW we aren't responsible for the cost of pruning/lopping/felling; rather, last time we had trees removed Mum was given a replacement shrub for each tree taken down. These have been planted well away from power lines, of course.

A few years ago we were doing a stretch of harbour shoreline walk, and somewhere between Waverton and Greenwich people had obviously removed a tree from the reserve to improve their view. The local council had responded by hanging a huge banner in the space, highlighting the offence and negating its effect. We were amused!

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

This happened near Drummoyne on the river bay walk too. Someone cut down some mangroves which are protected here. A large permanent sign went up , erected by the council. Smack in the middle of the space left by the illegal removal of the mangroves.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm really glad that the mangroves are protected, such an important tree/shrub. They are here, too, but in parts of Malaysia they seem to have been decimated.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

We had them at the bottom of the street where I grew up. I found them fascinating. Not so fascinating was the time at low tide when I was down there with dad. I slipped on a large muddy mangrove root and landed partly in mud, partly across muddy bushes.

It was only about a hundred metres home but I was embarrassed to be walking up the hill. Mum was horrified at the state I and my clothes were in. This was well before she had a washing machine, just a gas fired copper to boil things in.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Spot on, Evangeline with your description of what was allowed to happen under the last State Govt. There was a beautiful stand of blue gums on the highway opposite school, which was felled "by mistake". The council is getting tough again on clearing land unless the property is very much in a possible fire zone.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hallo Shippies. Happy Christmastide and New Year. :-)

I'm going to be staying in Manly in Sydney for a few days and am looking for somewhere to worship on Monday the 19th or Tuesday the 20th of Jan. A eucharist would be preferable but anything will do. The local Manly Anglican doesn't look like it has weekday services nor does it look like anything is on at the Anglican Cathedral in town on Monday or Tuesday.

Any locals have suggestions?

Thanks!

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

If you have transport, Evensong, St Johns Anglican, Dee Why, just up the road a bit, has services at varying times most weekdays.

[ 14. January 2015, 02:02: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Another thought would be to catch either the ferry or the bus to Sydney and try St James King Street or Christ Church St Laurence further down towards Central Station.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Or you could catch a bus to St Peter's Cremorne, where you have a mid-morning on Tuesday or early morning Thursday. The sort of Anglicanism you would find throughout the world, very welcoming.

The rector at St John's Dee Why is the only Sydney priest I know of belonging to Forward in Faith and you may feel a bit uncomfortable there. The last time I was there, there was an enormous Roman Missal in a chapel. His wife, a delightful person. is his deacon.

The Cathedral is very evangelical. Rarely does any clergy vest, sermons are long and rather fire and brimstone. You may see a copy or 2 of AAPB lying around, but it is not often used. The local Uniting Church here is rather more formal.

Mid-week services at St James King St are usually held in the Chapel of the Holy Spirit. Even if you don't go to a service there, it's worth a visit to see a beautiful Georgian church transplanted from a Wiltshire village or somewhere similar, with some outstanding modern glass in the chapel; quite a contrast.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Cremorne is certainly much closer than the city. I quite forgot about them.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you Loth and Gee D. Very helpful! [Angel]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have family in Manly and have worshipped at both the local Anglican and Catholic churches. Both are very welcoming and community minded.

The Anglican church (St Matthews, "the church in the corso") takes full advantage of its prominent position on the main pedestrian thoroughfare between the ferry terminal and Manly beach - e.g. on Christmas eve they had a parade of 3 "wise men" on camels going up and down the corso, which certainly pulled crowds in to the three 'Christmas' services they held that afternoon. They are socially quite open by Sydney standards, although they are evangelistic rather than eucharistic, like most of the Sydney diocese. I think you would feel more at home there than in the Anglican cathedral, though the churches mentioned by Gee and L above would be more like Perth Anglican than either.

Likewise the local catholic priest quietly flew under Cardinal Pell's radar and is far more in tune with Pope Francis than Pell in his emphasis and broad-mindedness.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

A friend of mine won a prize for the best Christmas costume at a club picnic this year. A keen cyclist, she turned her bike into a camel with the help of some painted cardboard, made her bike helmet into an impressive jewelled turban, and recycled an Elizabethan style outfit (purple and gold doublet with green hose) into regal riding gear.

[Razz]

The chaplain at my mum's aged care facility is on leave, so TP & I have been leading a morning prayer service there over the last few weeks. We usually do a short bio of whoever is starring in the lectionary calendar for the day. Last week it was George Fox, founder of the Society of Friends. This week, one of the residents took TP aside after the service to show him some of her family papers.

Her father was a doctor; she was a radiologist, trained in London; and her bachelor brother became a psychologist there. Her very C of E family always wondered why he became a Quaker in the 1940's. Only recently (after his death) they discovered that he was gay, and the Society of Friends was the only place he and his long term partner in life and work were able to worship together with no questions asked of them.

I imagine that is not an unusual story, but I have been trying to imagine what this must have been like in the 1940's, particularly during the war. Hard enough to navigate life, staying under the radar in one's family and career; but then add church expectations and the pressure to enlist for one's country - and it becomes an undercover operation that would rival that of any professional intelligence service personnel.

He sounds like an interesting man, and I found it quite fascinating. I learn so much from the over 90 brigade!

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I learn from my peers too. [Razz]
obviously not respect though
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Good on you both BL.

Back home yesterday from a few weeks down the coast. Very peaceful, but real life calls. I have come in to work today to see what's arrived in my absence and to check my diary. No rest in sight here. Madame does not start back formally until Tuesday.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I was about to shower this morning when buzzer from security entrance went. Gas company wanted access to replace the meter for my apartment downstaies. It is reading over three times as much as the meter under sink. Hence bill of over $1400, more than seven times the highest bill I have had here.

I let him in and quickly threw clothes on. I guess he has to check the two meters are synchronised. No one so far. A bit of notice would have been polite.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

You let him in and THEN threw some clothes on?

Maybe there's some truth to all those stories about Metre Men...
[Big Grin]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Maybe Loth's just trying to get that massive bill reduced ... [Devil]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

This talk of metre men is making me feel inadequate.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  21  22  23 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016