homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Pacifica - Let us all Rejoice... Australia, NZ, islands, etc (Page 20)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Pacifica - Let us all Rejoice... Australia, NZ, islands, etc
Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] GG and family
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] from here in Kenya too GG for you and your family

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] GG and family.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Galloping Granny - I was so sorry to hear about the Grandad. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Arohanui*,

Huia

* Love

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So sorry to hear about the Grandad, Galloping Granny. It's been such a long struggle for you both this year. My prayers and thoughts with you and your family.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, GG ... massive love and prayers

[Votive]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So sorry GG [Votive]

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] For the Grandad. Shine your light upon him Father, and let him rise in the glory of your ascended Son.

[Votive] Loving Jesus, guide him across your Cross, the bridge from this created universe into your Father's eternal kingdom.

[Votive] For GG and her family in their grief, that they might find comfort from your love and mercy. Holy Spirit, work amongst them and bring them peace.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] For GG and her family at this time - may the Lord bless you and keep you secure I n the palm of his hand.

[Votive] For granddad - may his soul rest in peace surrounded by the eternal light and love of heaven!

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So very sorry, GG. May the Grandad rest in peace and rise in Glory. Take care of yourself, especially after the mad rush to sort things out is finished. [Votive]

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So sorry to hear that, GG. Prayers for you, your family and the soul of Grandad.

Rest eternal grant unto him, O Lord, and let light perpetual shine upon him.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
God keep you all. [Votive]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
GG, I'm so sorry to hear of the Grandad's death. Rosie and I will be thinking of you.

Arohanui

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Very sorry for your loss GG. [Votive]
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive]

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

- Posted      Profile for DangerousDeacon   Author's homepage   Email DangerousDeacon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tukai:
quote:
Originally posted by DangerousDeacon:
Getting ready for COP21 in Paris. The side event I have been invited to is still going ahead, though proposed public sessions might not happen....

DD: It that a World Council of Churches event you are going to in Paris?
If so, good luck with it. However it will be hard to get your voice(s) heard unless you are official members of a national delegation to the COP, as I gather that in the current situation in Paris, almost no-one else will be admitted to the COP venue.
FYI I have sent a copy of my latest review article on climate change in the Pacific Islands to your Cathedral email address. Pls PM me if you don't receive it.

No, not World Council of Churches. And do not expect to be in the COP itself. We will be at a side event sponsored (it appears) by the French Government, looking at issues of spirituality and creativity in climate change. More importantly my travelling companion, who is a Solomon Islander, has linked up with his Government's delegation. It is his island which is going under, not mine! I really am just a support act.

--------------------
'All the same, it may be that I am wrong; what I take for gold and diamonds may be only a little copper and glass.'

Posts: 506 | From: Top End | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive]

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
GG, can you let us know when the funeral is to be please? That way, we who cannot be there in person can join with you, your family and neighbours, in the remembrance of the Grandad.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
GG, can you let us know when the funeral is to be please? That way, we who cannot be there in person can join with you, your family and neighbours, in the remembrance of the Grandad.

The funeral is on Wednesday, 25 November at 1.00 pm NZ Summer time. In Khandallah Presbyterian Church because ours is too small – but how can you guess how many will come to a funeral? I am not the only bereaved; friends of my children are planning to come. And isn't attending the funeral an important part of our grieving process?
It is heartwarming to be supported with love and prayers from far and wide. Bless you all.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you for the info, GG. There will be many of us there in spirit with you at the time. We did something like this some years ago when two Shipmates were ordained in Brisbane. Some were able to attend. The rest of us worked our way at the set time through an order of service a couple of Shipmates had worked out. It was an amazing experience to do that and I will be happy to join with you at the time.

The communion of the saints in action.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wish I could be there for you GG. Know though that my prayers ascend onwards.

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

That time converts to 11.00 am, Sydney time. We shall both then be in Khandallah in thought.

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was a pleasure to enjoy lunch with AdamPater, Rexory and Dark Knight today in Perth.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

GG, prayers and thoughts for you, your family and friends on this difficult day. We remembered the Grandad at 11 (our time).

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
GG, prayers and thoughts for you, your family and friends on this difficult day. We remembered the Grandad at 11 (our time).

From me here too, GG. Prayers for you and the family and friends.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A splendid funeral. The singing lifted the roof! We finished with How Great Thou Art because we felt The Grandad would have chosen it, and the organist gave it everything he'd got in the last verse. Crowds of dear friends, mine, Daughter's and Son's.
Son stayed over until daughter arrived from Canada, and we had dinner at his place; and now we're having three weeks of mother-and-daughter time, such as we've never had before, while Son-in-Law and friends look after the grandkids and Daughter has her first break from that role, with Skype to keep connection going.

Still feeling a bit numb. It was great to know you folk were with me.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We were and we are.

Delighted it all went smoothly, sad though the occasion was. Enjoy your Daughter-time and may it bring blessings to you both.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
GG, I'm glad you get some mother/daughter time. At
times like this having family overseas can be difficult. Thinking of you.

Huia

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Glad to hear it went so well, GG. Now relax, enjoy your mother/daughter time and be good to yourself.

[Votive]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Beautiful, GG. My prayers continue (though I have to hope God knows who GG is!)

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
RIP Grandad - and also a wonderful lady called Sister Barbara - a dear friend and mentor who will be buried in Albury on Monday. Just heard about her passing, and I am comforted by thoughts of her singing her favourite choruses in the throne room this Christmas.

Glad you have some extended family time, GG. May it be a salve for all of you as you gentle yourselves through the coming month.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

A stinker of a day here in Sydney. It is well over 30° C here at my place at 9:00am. Nasty strong wind. It is a bad fire day. Terrible fires in SA too with two people at least dead.

Son has been in Shanghai with a major business project for several weeks and returns with flight due in half an hour. Weather there was mid-teens but there was a cold snap a couple of days ago. It is currently 2C. He won't know what hit him when he gets in car at terminal carpark when DIL collects him.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

It's 26c here with a forecast max of 28 and winds gusting over 110kph. The insulation I had installed in my house was one of the best decisions I ever made. [Cool] I did it mainly due to the cold, but of course the double benefit means it's an all year round blessing.

I'm about to venture out to get some cottons for a cross stitch Christmas card - this will be a one off as I'm adapting a design to suit the person. I've covered myself in sunblock, but I'm not sure the sun hat will stay on.

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I can see you chasing that hat, Huia. [Biased] With winds at that speed, an umbrella would be no use as a substiute for a hat.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

It was a glorious 31 C here yesterday and I'm beginning to come to life again at last

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
It was a glorious 31 C here yesterday and I'm beginning to come to life again at last

ha ha it's been a glorious 23 degrees or so here today and I'm coming back to life after 38 degrees with hot winds, such that you felt like you were in a fan forced oven yesterday. Sydney and it's not even summer yet!
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Evangeline a "fan forced oven" describes it well. Fortunately the strong winds didn't eventuate here at the coast, so my hat was safe, but inland it was a different matter.

I am a bear of very little brain... again I have left baking my 4 Christmas cakes until the weather is hot, so I'm planning some night time sessions. This year it's a bit different as my youngest brother and his partner are ending their marriage of 25 years, which means 2 smaller cakes rather than one big one.

I am really sad about this, and am just beginning to negotiate them no longer being together. I'm am not sure how it will work in the future, but I hope we will continue to have contact. I will always be grateful for her love and support for my parents.

Huia

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Mildly fan forced yesterday but only mildly ... could be pleasant today, feeling almost like a Darwin Dry Season morning right now ...

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Driving a fund raising bbq all day today, so am pleased it is neither blisteringly hot nor wildly windy. Going to and from Sydney yesterday in shivery showery conditions has me mentally preparing for anything today, weatherwise. The food stand is opposite the new Ikea here - so I will be interested to see how busy it gets. Also how many insects are about - it is predicted to be a bumper blowfly season and the ones I have seen so far are humungous.

BL. Who hates cooking and eating outside. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Goodness, BL - I thought Australians were genetically programmed to cook and eat outside. [Devil]

I know what you mean though - much as I like the idea of barbecues (and I'm certainly not averse to a nicely-grilled steak), I rarely feel comfortable eating outside. The weather has to be just right - not too hot, not too humid, not too windy ... and there's precious little chance of that round these parts.

Having said that, a bloke in our choir has been known to do roast beef in a covered barbecue for a Boxing Day party, six inches of snow notwithstanding.

We didn't eat it outside, you understand. [Eek!]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

We bbq all year round (not every meal of course), and sometimes eat outdoors. 2 bbqs, one large, gas and able to be covered, the other smaller but charcoal. We also have a wood-fired oven where we can cook bread, pizzas and so forth. The gas is good for through the week. I can get home around 7.30 and have small pieces of meat ready by 8 without any great rush. The charcoal gives great results, but I'd be pushing it to have dinner ready within a half hour of getting home.

Outdoor eating demands a number of insect zappers, citronella candles and so forth. We find the best time for it to be a mild winter/autumn/spring lunch. Summer's usually far too hot through the day.

[ 28. November 2015, 20:42: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Gee D, have you tried the very thick insect incense type sticks from picnic section at supermarkets? They last several hours and can be extinguished and relit the next day..

DIL is a magnet for mosquitoes and comes up immediately in nasty welts. When we lived down the road from you, we ate most summer meals on the truly enormous balconies there. We used those stuck in pots around the balcony wall. Also mosquito coils under the table. The combination worked well.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Banner Lady, Madame tried the 3 ingredient fruitcake at the weekend. Not bad for a first effort and she's learnt from it. Next time, she won't use the K mix to blend the flour in - either a wooden spoon or gloved hands. The K mix crushed some of the fruit which both changed the flavour and caused a little bit of overcooking in spots from escaping juice. Getting a bit of complication into a simple recipe, we both thought that a bit of orange zest would go well.

For the first time ever in close on 40 years of married life, we have some Parisian Essence in the pantry. It will probably remain there for the next 40. The mix made 3 dozen mini cakes and enough for a loaf of about a half kilo as well. No reports so far of any deaths amongst the great nieces and nephews who go stuck into them.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Glad you had a reasonable outcome, Gee D. I used a wooden spoon to fold in the flour, as I thought the mixture too heavy for anything else to work. Yesterday I crumbled one of the cakes into a half tub of sticky date ice cream, then pressed it back in to the carton. Will find out how that works on Christmas Day!

I have no idea what is in Parisian Essence - except that it is basically brown food colouring. I suppose there is some almond oil in it, so maybe it has some benefit. But yes, it will likely stay at the back of the cupboard for a very long time. Like most of my cooking apparatus!

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I'm thinking some mosquitoes read the calendar. December 1, officially the first day of summer.

The bathroom in this apartment has a vent which goes up one more floor to the roof garden. Most summer mornings there are mosquitoes in the room when I get up. Nowhere else in the place, despite sleeping with balcony door open.

This morning, there they were. Half a dozen fluttering when I turned the light on.

Hot day ahead by the feel of things here. 35 or more forecast again.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
35 or more forecast again

*jealous smiley*

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
35 or more forecast again

*jealous smiley*
**scared smiley** [Eek!]

--------------------

Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Banner Lady, Madame tried the 3 ingredient fruitcake at the weekend. Not bad for a first effort and she's learnt from it. Next time, she won't use the K mix to blend the flour in - either a wooden spoon or gloved hands. The K mix crushed some of the fruit which both changed the flavour and caused a little bit of overcooking in spots from escaping juice. Getting a bit of complication into a simple recipe, we both thought that a bit of orange zest would go well.

Try the dough hook, it wont mash the fruit. I made up 10 cakes every year for 35 years until most of the recipients passed on or passed out of our lives. Now it's just two for the two of us!!

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Thanks Dennis, I shall pass that on. Super-low speed also I assume, just enough to lift and join.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I tend to use hands for the final mixing of large Christmas cakes. I think that's because we didn't have the technology when I first learnt as a child and I didn't have the wrist strength or technique it do it with a wooden spoon.

I've finished the two middle sized cakes - well the second is in the oven now - and I'm contemplating whether I cook the Alison Holst pineapple cake in two 18 cm tins or make two different 15cm cakes. If I go the pineapple cake way I have to clean out the preserving pan as none of my bowls is large enough to do the final mix.

30 degrees here today, which is why I started baking at 6.30am.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016