homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Pacifica - Let us all Rejoice... Australia, NZ, islands, etc (Page 22)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Pacifica - Let us all Rejoice... Australia, NZ, islands, etc
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
BL, sometimes it is the simple things which work best. A few weeks ago I thought it was quiet. Miss M and Big Sister were sitting at my balcony table with their recently acquired step siblings. Not a sound. They were painting tiny plaster models with cotton buds.

Ages are, 13,11,11,7. This settling into a blended family is not always as harmonious as the painting time was.

I live in an apartment, quite large for one person,fine for a couple, but fairly cramped every fortnight with three adults and four children. Son's fiancée takes her two to her place, to sleep, I don't need beds for all of them, thank goodness. He divides his week between the two places but has fortnightly access visits.

[ 12. December 2015, 21:58: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been scanning a whole heap of photos of my mother's childhood to send to her sister. I think people in my family got dressed up to answer the telephone! There's a wonderful one of Mum, aged about 5, with her grandparents, at the Dannevirke A&P show, all of them dressed to the nines. Hats, gloves, coats (in Dannevirke in February that must have been penitential) and fabulous frocks.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Arabella Purity Winterbottom:
I've been scanning a whole heap of photos of my mother's childhood to send to her sister. I think people in my family got dressed up to answer the telephone! There's a wonderful one of Mum, aged about 5, with her grandparents, at the Dannevirke A&P show, all of them dressed to the nines. Hats, gloves, coats (in Dannevirke in February that must have been penitential) and fabulous frocks.

And for voting.

My first vote was when one was eligible at age 21. I tootled along to the polling station in sun dress and sandals, and was looked at very much askance by Ladies in hats and gloves.

Footnote: reporting back to the flat I noticed a visiting boyfriend looking gobsmacked: 'You're not 21 are you?' 'No,' I airily replied, 'I'm 22.' Yes, it was my birthday.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My oldest brother delighted in dressing up in his suit to vote - in Wainuiomata. As his suit was blue Dad said people might mistake his voting allegiance.

Whereas I remember Mum telling my youngest
brother to dress up because he was going to town and when he said, "I'll put a clean bush-shirt on" she was horrified.

It was sunny and fine when I went to church this morning but I had just got home and the sky opened. Thunder, lightening and huge hailstones. At least here on the coast we don't have the tornadoes they are experiencing further inland, and, so far the power has stayed on here.

It hasn't flooded yet here either, but I must check when high tide occurs as the river at the end of the street is tidal and shallower since the quakes - earthquakes, the gift that keeps on giving [Roll Eyes]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can remember wearing a hat and gloves when going to the city at the weekend. One trip I wore a large brimmed sou'wester style hat and was in the end of the carriage where two long bench seats faced each other. The window behind me was wide open when an interurban train sped past. It sucked my hat off and out the window.

When at school, hats in summer and berets in winter were part of the uniform. And gloves. I lived over an hour from school. If I took my gloves off on a hot day as I walked down my street, I always checked to see if anyone was watching who might report me for not wearing them.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We were only allowed to take our caps off when we got inside our own gate on the way home!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hurrah for wonderful parties thrown by grandma! [Yipee]

Being a public-school western-suburbs boy as fancy as we got for school was a blazer. And even that was seen a bit posh.

A glorious Carols, Lessons and Readings last night at the Anglican church, with: state and federal members; emergency services reps; Indigenous elders; community leaders; representatives from the Islamic, Jewish and Buddhist faiths, and the Catholics too, among others, reading [incl. a reading from the Qur'an of the announcment to Mary and a reading from Proverbs in Hebrew & English]; members from the Bhutanese community dancing, and more.

A tenor from Opera Australia even appeared to join the marvellous St Matthew's choir and organist. Motorcycle enthuiasts and bike riders raised money for crisis care: which is where the offering went to too. A very wondrous evening. As Father said, it is truly great to come together when many in the world want us driven apart.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Was that in Albury????
Where's the incredulous smiley....I want to go to THAT church!!!
Ian, it sounds superb. A hint that maybe there's hope for us all yet.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Indeed it was, Banner Lady. Quite a fine church, and community in general from what I've seen, down here. Issues exist, as everywhere, but a lot of good work from what I can see.
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yesterday I made gingerbread houses for the kids to decorate.
Today I am repainting the fireplace in readiness for 7 stockings to be attached. (Old 1980's salmon pink now being replaced by a smart gloss black). Dark red velvet stockings still to be made.

No sane man would do such things. Nanna stripes are beginning to show through my hide, methinks. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

That was odd. Writing a reply one minute and then being logged out.

Now I seem to have found a way to beat Auspost at their game of lose the parcel, I have outsourced quite a few of my grandma tendencies.

I have three beautiful stockings made for my own sons. I always planned on doing them for grandchildren but have not done so. Eldest turns 17 early in new year, so I guess I missed the moment. I also now have an extra two grand childre, from son's fiancée. I don't know them well yet and have had trouble finding a gift each without making a distinction between them and the their now step siblings. Thank goodness for a science site in Victoria with a wide choice of interesting gifts which my grandchildren have enjoyed over the years. Only goof was the thundermaker which was banished outside in first thirty minutes,

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

It is rare to see a tornado warning for Sydney. Wind,heavy rain, high seas, hail, but today we have a tornado warning. Bondi Beach had a special mention.

Rain a while ago could only have been described as worse than torrential and I can see the next lot coming over from west. Two systems apparently, one from west, the other from south.

--------------------

Cranmer's baggage*
Shipmate
# 4937

- Posted      Profile for Cranmer's baggage*   Email Cranmer's baggage*   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Now all we need back is Cusanus (not seen since 2008, I think) and Left at the Altar (2014) and Nutmeg (2008, but with a tribute to Erin in 2011) and the assassinated FD and a few more and the party would be complete. Missing Kiwis include the aforementioned Jemimah (2004) and McChook (surfaced briefly in 2014) ... oh ... and Kuruman (who I see occasionally and who was on a shipmeet thread in 2014) ...

Ahem! Thanks Banner Lady for remembering me. [Biased]

I've finally found my way back on board after a very protracted period of shoreleave. Since I was last here I've moved (twice?) and am now back in Victoria, enjoying a ministry in Seachange territory. I look forward to catching up with all the news.

--------------------
Eschew obfuscation!

Posts: 729 | From: the antipodes | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Lovely to see our lost baggage finally catching up with us just in time for Christmas! The merchild and Vasco are still somewhere out on the 7 seas too...I'm sure I will remember more MIA eventually but am operating with a heavy head cold at present. This doesn't help whatever neutrons are left to connect with each other.

Fortunately painting with a head cold means one cannot smell the fumes.

Fat rain now coming down in big mobs. TP is happy!

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

Hello Cranmer's Baggage! [Yipee]

Hope you're feeling better soon BL.

Hope all in Sydney and surrounds are fine... 213 kph winds! [Eek!]

Christmas shopping stresses me out Lothlorien: I like the outsourcing idea. Though I am looking forward to seeing my 3 nieces over Christmas.

I am truly in countdown mode workwise. Tuesday 12pm cannot come soon enough.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

It seems as if the Sydney diocese has finally sold Bishopscourt. It went for AUD$18 million which was less than the amount offered when it was passed in at auction some time ago. The new owner has thought about another $10 million will be needed on repairs and updating.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cranmer's baggage*:
quote:
Now all we need back is Cusanus (not seen since 2008, I think) and Left at the Altar (2014) and Nutmeg (2008, but with a tribute to Erin in 2011) and the assassinated FD and a few more and the party would be complete. Missing Kiwis include the aforementioned Jemimah (2004) and McChook (surfaced briefly in 2014) ... oh ... and Kuruman (who I see occasionally and who was on a shipmeet thread in 2014) ...

Ahem! Thanks Banner Lady for remembering me. [Biased]

I've finally found my way back on board after a very protracted period of shoreleave. Since I was last here I've moved (twice?) and am now back in Victoria, enjoying a ministry in Seachange territory. I look forward to catching up with all the news.

[Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal]

It's like thank you lists in an annual report. My most grovelled apologies are proffered!

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
Was that in Albury????
Where's the incredulous smiley....I want to go to THAT church!!!
Ian, it sounds superb. A hint that maybe there's hope for us all yet.

A wonderful friend/mentor of mine was rector there for many years ...

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Some good news in re Miss M. Oncologists were very happy with yesterday's tests. If they stay like this into January and February, they will declare her to be in remission. [Yipee] :

Thank you so much for all prayers and kind thoughts over the last two years and for ongoing prayer.

Not only will they say she is in remission but oncologists are amazed she has done this without the average three hospital admissions during treatment. Nasty complications from the chemo but hospital policy is to hit the cancer hard and deal with sude effects as they happen.

[Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Best Christmas gift ever - thank you Loth for sharing the good report.

Lovely to have some more shippies popping in to say hello. Pretty soon we'll have enough for a party!

--------------------

Cranmer's baggage*
Shipmate
# 4937

- Posted      Profile for Cranmer's baggage*   Email Cranmer's baggage*   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

[Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal]

It's like thank you lists in an annual report. My most grovelled apologies are proffered!

'Sorright, Zappa. (Unnecessary) apologies accepted.

--------------------
Eschew obfuscation!

Cranmer's baggage*
Shipmate
# 4937

Wonderful news, Loth. It should make for a truly joyous Christmas for you and yours.

--------------------
Eschew obfuscation!

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes indeed, brilliant news.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Amen to that! [Yipee]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Absolutely - prayers still ascending for all of you. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

TP has been happily harvesting the fruit of his handiwork this week. Bowls of cherry plums, apricots, mulberries, young berries, blueberries and gooseberries litter the kitchen bench.

He has promised his mum some gooseberry jam - but I can't see him cooking today as it is expected to hover around the 40 degree mark here.

Yesterday he excitedly called B1 and I into the kitchen. "Come and see this!" We arrived, wondering and expectant. Joyfully he held high one perfect plump ripe peach. "The only Anzac peach on our little tree this year, and look at it - isn't that a beauty?"

He carefully washed it and sliced it into three for us all to eat.
As we stood there with the juice running down our chins, savouring the still warm organic fruit, it was for me a liminal moment.

Ah, dear shippies, I have tasted Advent!

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

Mmmm....peaches. [Smile]

Wonderful news Lothlorien!

I'm escaping up to the hills today: 40 expected here too [and tomorrow] and 25 up there. I will take 25. And do a few walks too.

[ 18. December 2015, 19:21: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
Mmmm....peaches. [Smile]

Wonderful news Lothlorien!

I'm escaping up to the hills today: 40 expected here too [and tomorrow] and 25 up there. I will take 25. And do a few walks too.

Peaches here too, in the shops. Not organic, but sweet and juice-running-down-the-chin dead ripe.
Also apricots. We call them mish-mish – the Grandad was born in Egypt.
(He didn't make it to Christmas. The house is kind of empty.)

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A hard time for you GG, even with all your happy memories of times together. Special thoughts for you and your family.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thinking of you GG.

Loth, fingers still firmly crossed and prayers ascending.

It sounds stupid, after all my Dad died a few years back, but for some reason his absence is hitting me hard this year. I keep seeing possible presents for him when I'm shopping. I think I might buy one and donate it to City Mission, they don't get as many presents for men.

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Done and dusted for another year. The family Christmas which had opportunities for conflict. Fortunately nothing happened but there were several of us apprehensive.

We held it at Windsor Polo Club Grounds which are actually at Richmond. No one else around, plenty of shade and a good breeze most of the day. It was hot, 41°: and still well into 30s back at my place a few minutes ago. However the breeze and shade were pleasant, reminded me of times like that at Windellama and Cudal in summer.

The children had a ball, loads of space and my niece took out some old balls and sticks and they ran around hitting the balls. The moody teen sat on a practice horse with saddle over a mounted forty gallon drum. He is a natural at any ball sport and looked the part of a player. Niece turned sprinkler on and they enjoyed that too.

All in all, a good day, but I have done more than usual and am ready for a good sleep later.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Last prison ministry fundraiser now done and dusted. Spent the last two days running a trash n treasure stall (mostly books) at a local market. Lots of people want cheap holiday reading, so we raised a thousand dollars. But no air-con and the rapid emptying of Canberra at this time of year affected our volunteer base. I am therefore very tired.

The nice thing is that older adults still like to buy books. The sad thing is there is not much point in having children's books any more. Few kids are interested - a sign of the 21st century, I guess.

--------------------

vascopyjama
Shipmate
# 1953

- Posted      Profile for vascopyjama   Email vascopyjama   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If anybody would like to hear the St Matthews Albury carols extravaganza, it will be broadcast on Radio National Christmas Day.
Posts: 298 | From: The Sea of Turbidity | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Thank you, I will make a note. My Christmas Day lunch etc has currently changed dramatically and I am now hosting for quite a few. Something like that will be a welcome respite.

[ 20. December 2015, 09:46: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Drum roll --- The Christchurch Art Gallery has reopened [Yipee]

Also the new Margaret Mahy playground is opening on Dec 23. YaY

Now we only have to wait about 3 years for the new Library to be built (someone who I would like to kick in the pants stuffed up).

An announcement on the future of the Christchurch Anglican Cathedral is expected this week.

This is probably all that will happen this year - and NZ tends to do a shut down until the last week of January.

So an Art Gallery and a playground for Christmas - my rates in action [Big Grin] (+ the Council insurance payout announced this week.)

Huia

--------------------

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Excellent - the Margaret Mahy playground is a perfect memorial. Every year I re-read all my Mahy stories. My favourite picture book is, and always has been, The Man Whose Mother Was A Pirate. Wonderful woman.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Currently reading Auto da Fay - the autobiography of Fay Weldon. Interesting that she grew up largely in Christchurch where the common belief in the 1940's and 50's was that "earthquakes only happen on the North Island."

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

The playground also commemorates Elsie Locke who lived nearby and who is another, less prolific author of children's books. I remember her more for her social justice and pacifist work. In typical NZ 2 degrees of separation her son, Keith flatted with my middle brother.

I used to enjoy reading The Man Whose Mother was a Pirate to the children I taught, I love the way the language flows and the transformation of the man.

Huia

--------------------

Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Currently reading Auto da Fay - the autobiography of Fay Weldon. Interesting that she grew up largely in Christchurch where the common belief in the 1940's and 50's was that "earthquakes only happen on the North Island."

[Roll Eyes]

[Ultra confused] Did they not notice those REALLY freaking BIG mountains running right down the middle of Te Wai Pounamu?

Oh and Huia I had my first lovely visit to the gallery since moving to Canterbury two years ago. I feel humbled and inspired. And I want to go on the slide at Margeret Mahy.

Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
The playground also commemorates Elsie Locke who lived nearby and who is another, less prolific author of children's books. I remember her more for her social justice and pacifist work. In typical NZ 2 degrees of separation her son, Keith flatted with my middle brother.

So two degrees away from you is my mother-in-law, who worked on various peace initiatives with Keith.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I arrived home Saturday evening to a chorus of beeps. Smoke alarm beeps. The alarms on walkways outside need attention regularly, so I emailed strata manager. Out of office till 4/1 was response.

However, she must have seen subject line and arranged repair.

Friendly repairman knocked on my door early this morning. Smoke alarm fixer upper. Son thought it was mine. I wasn't so sure. He replaced backup battery in alarm outside door. When he saw alarm inside, he said it was very old, so did that too. Said the battery was original. These places were built 1998 or so, so a good innings. Also pointed out a button in middle called HUSH. Hold that in with a stick for cooking fumes etc. lasts five minutes, time to open doors and windows etc. silence is lovely.

I have emailed thanks to her. The noise was beginning to get to me. Beeps all day and night, audible even when I was not wearing hearing aids.

[ 21. December 2015, 20:40: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Some good news in re Miss M. Oncologists were very happy with yesterday's tests. If they stay like this into January and February, they will declare her to be in remission. [Yipee] :

Thank you so much for all prayers and kind thoughts over the last two years and for ongoing prayer.

Not only will they say she is in remission but oncologists are amazed she has done this without the average three hospital admissions during treatment. Nasty complications from the chemo but hospital policy is to hit the cancer hard and deal with sude effects as they happen.

[Yipee] [Yipee]

Still keeping on Praying ...

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Arabella Purity Winterbottom:
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:

So two degrees away from you

Given your connection with my sister I think this is a too small world!

[ 21. December 2015, 23:48: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, another year has now finished, but still no closer really to working out how we can both retire. A major problem is that Madame and I are both very proud of what she has achieved and want to preserve that for her. No matter what, the solutions all involve some loss of control. One day this will be either forced on us or a solution that has so far evaded us will just jump out. In the meantime, we're both having a few weeks break, in my case until almost the end of January. Nothing big planned this time, down to the beach for a while after Christmas to do nothing is about the most energetic thing on the horizon.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

That sounds like a good January, Gee D.

Days like today we would walk around the cliff and along a long beach to buy fish and chips which would be eaten as we walked back. Then a game of Monopoly which we could sometimes spin out till 11:00 pm if we were lucky. Beach days were just that. Long and lazy with easy food and a picnic at night.

[ 22. December 2015, 07:10: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
... a game of Monopoly which we could sometimes spin out till 11:00 pm if we were lucky ...

11 p.m. on the same day? Were you playing the Short Version? [Snigger]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

quote:

[Roll Eyes]

Murchison??? 7.8 in 1929.

Then Inangahua in the sixties.

GG

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Normally I read a book in a day or two, but because of the time of year, I can only get brief bites at this one. Haven't got to the sixties yet - but as Weldon mentions living through tremors quite often, I guess we are building up to that moment when reality rudely intrudes.

Not recommended reading for those across the Tasman at Christmas time!

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

The latter cracked our North Island chimney ...I slept through it but woke up moments later in a sweat of fear.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Oh, BL- you made me cross-post!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016