homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Pacifica - Let us all Rejoice... Australia, NZ, islands, etc (Page 23)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Pacifica - Let us all Rejoice... Australia, NZ, islands, etc
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My iPad just popped up a reminder that it is Christmas Eve in South Australia tomorrow.

What happened to the rest of us or do they have a holiday then?

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Clearly prophetic ... the rest of us are raptured
...or nuked

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

- Posted      Profile for DangerousDeacon   Author's homepage   Email DangerousDeacon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We're dreaming of a wet Christmas ... for some strange reason my prayers for snow to accompany the Nine Lessons and Carols went unanswered on Sunday night. But in spite of the fact that most of Darwin has now headed south, we had a good turnout. And the monsoon rains started.

This afternoon will go and fire a cannon down the Smith Street Mall. Won't hit anyone.

Meantime, the rain and cloud continues, and Darwin shivers at just below 30 degrees. I may try a run down the ski slopes at Stokes Hill.

And from all of us in Darwin, every blessing at Christmas; may the joy and love of Christ be with you and those whom you love!

--------------------
'All the same, it may be that I am wrong; what I take for gold and diamonds may be only a little copper and glass.'

Posts: 506 | From: Top End | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by DangerousDeacon:
... my prayers for snow to accompany the Nine Lessons and Carols went unanswered ...

We've got some - would you like it? [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Today I hobbled the whole 5 metres or so down the drive with the aid of a broomstick and took I taxi to the medical centre where the lovely doctor gave me some industrial strength pain killers [Axe murder] I think I am in love (with his prescription writing skills at least).

The injury actually happened in September when I fell down the front steps, but the physio got a bit overenthusiastic on Monday. I rung her yesterday and she was a bit condescending and after I had tried exercising, resting, elevating, icing my knee and using a hot pad it still was unbearably painful, so after not sleeping last night I made a doctor's appointment and was lucky to strike Dr S. He also suggested an x=ray because it may not be only soft tissue damage, so I'll have that next year.

I had kind of lost touch with how long it had been so I'm glad he suggested further investigation.

Being almost pain-free is amazing [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Today I hobbled the whole 5 metres or so down the drive with the aid of a broomstick and took I taxi to the medical centre where the lovely doctor gave me some industrial strength pain killers [Axe murder] I think I am in love (with his prescription writing skills at least).

The injury actually happened in September when I fell down the front steps, but the physio got a bit overenthusiastic on Monday. I rung her yesterday and she was a bit condescending and after I had tried exercising, resting, elevating, icing my knee and using a hot pad it still was unbearably painful, so after not sleeping last night I made a doctor's appointment and was lucky to strike Dr S. He also suggested an x=ray because it may not be only soft tissue damage, so I'll have that next year.

I had kind of lost touch with how long it had been so I'm glad he suggested further investigation.

Being almost pain-free is amazing [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

My knees gave a sympathetic twinge just to show I care.

Cheers for the painkillers, prayer may help but the painkillers too must be of divine provenance.

Do these things have to happen at Christmas? I fell on my shoulder at this time a couple of years ago; the x-ray was immediate, but by the time a scan appointment had come up, and the results had reached the GP, all the orthopods had gone on holiday till the end of January.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes GG, the doc said I could get an xray today, but the report wouldn't be available until mid January at least.

A well-meaning friend came today with some crutches he had found in a garage. The smallest setting barely fitted him and he's at least 8 inches taller than me [Waterworks]

I was going to be on the door welcoming people to church tomorrow, and on Sunday but I'm staying home because it's all a bit much, even though the friend with the crutches offered to drive me there, which was kind because he is not a church goer.

Huia,feeling sorry for myself

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ok, in the SOF Christmas play you HAVE to be Tiny Tim now....
I can think of a few shippies who could play Scrooge...

I will put up my hand to be the Ghost of Christmas Past - although I could probably do a passable rendition as the Christmas Pudding or the fruitcake. And No, I am not nominating to be the goose....

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was reading the ship' s Christmas play last night as I do at this time of the year, when i came to the description of the shooting star and thestage lights dimming as Miss Molly went home. So I read some of the Fields of Gold Thread which is another thing for Christmas.

After a stressful day supporting son through more rubbish from a bitter ex, the threads were a bit much for me and I burst into tears. However, it also helped release tension.

(Threads mentioned are in Glory. Miss Molly was a Shipmate who died of cancer and the Fields of Gold theead is arecord of her interactions with Shipmates over the last few months.)

Sorry, sticky keyboard not working well.

[ 23. December 2015, 23:22: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A very Happy Christmas to you all from us, and special thoughts for GG and Arabella as they approach the joy of Christmas with their losses in the last couple of months.

[ 24. December 2015, 05:51: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Many thanks Gee D, and our best wishes to all at this most holy season. Midnight Mass well-done and dusted. Now to bed to prepare for the invasion of grandchildren in a few hours.

Prayers for those for whom Christmas is a difficult time for whatever reason. We have the deaths of three parents during December, so we feel the loss every year.

Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Heading off shortly for Midnight Mass. Blessings to all on these boards!

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm just home from Midnight Mass on a very warm night. Wonderful service though and I'm sitting down with a cuppa to unwind before bed. Happy Christmas shipmates.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Amazing the difference a good night's sleep followed by a shower makes.

But did RNZ National have to play The Small One [Waterworks] The evocative power of hearing Bing Crosby read this had me in sentimental tears, not so much from the story itself, but from happy memories of childhood Christmas's.

Happy Christmas everyone.

Huia

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And of course remembering you also DD.

A wonderful - full of wonder - service at midnight with about 200 or so attending. There had been 130 at the early evening one. Great sining from the choir (and the congregation), a thoroughly sound sermon, a service that flowed smoothly, and, then a warm evening with the full moon to come out to.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Amazing the difference a good night's sleep followed by a shower makes.

But did RNZ National have to play The Small One [Waterworks] The evocative power of hearing Bing Crosby read this had me in sentimental tears, not so much from the story itself, but from happy memories of childhood Christmas's.

Happy Christmas everyone.

Huia

I agree. It reminds me so much of my childhood too. At primary school the teacher would play it every year, all 4 78 rpms!! I would love to hear it again this Christmas as back in May we were in Bethlehem, Jerusalam and Nazareth and it would mean so much more now

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Eucharists all done. The haters (there are many) stayed away. God is good and the liturgies buzzed.

Happy Christmas, y'all.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Great news Zappa. I posted greetings last night on Pete's thread, but a Merry Christmas to all.

We have celebrated here so far with a slap up breakfast and several cups of good coffee. Middle son, new fiancée and her two, new step grandchildren for me.

Moonlight last night was lovely to see. More cloud this morning but a break last night.

Edited for typos caused by typing and talking on phone together.

[ 24. December 2015, 23:50: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Grandchildren have now departed for lunch at Poppy's house, having breakfasted with us and opened presents. Now we are relaxing to the strains of the 1958 Carols from King's which is part of a fine boxed set given me by my dear wife. I think it might have been the first such performance under David Willcocks, with Simon Preston at the organ. Such fine music never becomes boring.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's probably well into Christmas Day with you folk, so I'll wish you a merry Christmas before I go out to sing at Midnight Mass.

Have a good one! [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cranmer's baggage*
Shipmate
# 4937

- Posted      Profile for Cranmer's baggage*   Email Cranmer's baggage*   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy Christmas to you all. I've survived the kid's Christmas service, preached and presided at midnight and aga in this morning,band am now fronting the organising of food and everything else before the family arrive late this afternoon.

My thoughts are with those still fighting fires, or experiencing anxiety about the threat of fire on this hot & windy day.

--------------------
Eschew obfuscation!

Posts: 729 | From: the antipodes | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

This is the first year since I've been back to church that I've missed Christmas Day [Waterworks]

Not that I had a bad day, but it was quiet apart from phone calls and texts. I am getting more mobile and am in less pain, which seems like the best Christmas gift ever. I think I will make it to the planned Boxing Day lunch, and the lunch I was to have today is postponed until I don't need my broomstick*

Huia

* To support my hobbling, but flying would be more fun. [Razz]

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy Christmas all. Last night we had 15 of us at B3's for dinner. This morning I went to church in the nursing home with my mum, before bringing her down to spend the day with us - with various family coming and going all afternoon. Everyone except me has managed a nap, so I am expecting to sleep well tonight.

Glad that's over for another year! I am now ready to clock off for a few weeks along with the rest of Australia.
[Snore]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A strange, blank, day yesterday. Glad its over. Spent most of it in the rest home with my mother-in-law.

Today, however, we got up and went to the Botanical Gardens for a ramble. It was glorious, not least because everyone was being friendly and saying hello to complete strangers. Beautiful warm (around 20 degrees C) weather with a tiny breeze - perfect.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Arabella I'm glad you had the time in the Gardens on such a day.

I love those gardens. The shape of them is far more interesting than those in Christchurch. One of my favourite memories is spending a day there with my paternal Grandfather. Old Jim was a bit of a grump usually, but it was a place he loved and it was like we were spending time with a very old, close friend. I saw a side of him I had never seen before and I still treasure the memory.

At 18 I planned to get married there in the small, white summerhouse, but it was not to be and the would-be groom died 4 years later. [Tear]

I went to a friends place for a long arranged Boxing day lunch today and he took me to a small mall where I could pick up my prescriptions and do some grocery shopping while he bought a DvD player that can record.

I'm so grateful that I now have some fresh fruit in the house -including cherries [Yipee] I could cope with having cheese on toast for Christmas, but not having any fruit was horrible.

Huia

--------------------

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ha, we had marmite on toast last night!

I love the Bot Gardens. When I worked in town I used to walk in them every single day - a good workout given that they go up and down so much. Doesn't matter which bit. I particularly love the Bolton Street Cemetery which is wonderfully overgrown but has heritage roses popping up in unexpected places. Today we went from the cemetery, round the rose garden, up to the herb garden, down through the pines and over to the duck pond. I found a lovely rose called "My Mum" which I'm going to plant in my garden - its name is only a side benefit of a lovely apricot colour and a gentle fragrance.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Years ago we stayed a night or two in Chandigarh in northern India and went to see the Rose Garden there, about the only thing worth seeing in the place, and the wind was such that we smelt the garden before we got there - this wonderful perfume of roses in bloom!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Years ago we stayed a night or two in Chandigarh in northern India and went to see the Rose Garden there, about the only thing worth seeing in the place, and the wind was such that we smelt the garden before we got there - this wonderful perfume of roses in bloom!

That's a proper rose garden, that isn't full of modern roses with all the perfume bred out of them.
Not just roses, either: purple verbena anyone? carnations?

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A most satisfactory Christmas celebration at Chez Curly yesterday. A very quiet day today, packing and cleaning up and watching a little cricket.

Merry Christmas all!

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

- Posted      Profile for DangerousDeacon   Author's homepage   Email DangerousDeacon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A very wet Christmas greeting to you all. Church attendance was well down on last year - gale force winds and monsoon rains are not conducive to a large turn out at Midnight Mass. As was remarked by one hardy member of the congregation, "Last time we had weather like this on Christmas Eve, it was followed by Cyclone Tracy".

Fortunately the tropical low was moving away from us inland rather than towards us from the sea, so no cyclone, just rain and wind. Enjoy the rest of the Christmas Season!

--------------------
'All the same, it may be that I am wrong; what I take for gold and diamonds may be only a little copper and glass.'

Posts: 506 | From: Top End | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

A lovely thing about the Christmas/Summer Holidays is that when the clergy take turns to go on leave we all share one another's services. Vicar's away next week so this week local Presbyterians and neighbouring Uniting parish worshipped with her congregation. We do enjoy a dose of Anglican liturgy from time to time; it's nice to see a bunch of Presys totally at home in St L's up the road.
It will be a bit of a change for them when they come to us next week. I haven't had to take a service with Anglican visitors before so I hope my years of experience on my home turf stand me in good stead and I don't let the side down. Especially having been landed with John 1:1-18.

GG

--------------------

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

We bought three new roses yesterday: Margaret Merrill (white, classic rose perfume), Blue Moon (pale lavender, beautiful cinnamon-ish scent) and Sir Walter Raleigh (Austin with rich fruity scent). Planted them this morning in between Abraham Darby and Shakespeare, with some salvia and Queen Anne's lace for company. Have ordered two other roses for later. GG, totally agree that roses without scent are just wrong.

We've spent so much time away from home in the last three years that our garden was a bit woeful, so its nice to be back getting our hands dirty.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
... having been landed with John 1:1-18.

The Ninth Lesson in the Carol Service - it's one of my favourite passages of scripture, and having it read from anything other than the Authorised Version makes the Baby Jesus cry. [Devil]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I agree, it's one of the most hauntingly beautiful bits of the Bible - but probably a bit nerve-racking to have to preach on it!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I agree, it's one of the most hauntingly beautiful bits of the Bible - but probably a bit nerve-racking to have to preach on it!

I often check out William Barclay for first ideas, but he can produce enough for one sermon on the first verse, and so on.
Piglet, do you think the Baby Jesus would cry if the reader used the AV and then I read parts of a modern paraphrase?

GG

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I will let Piglet answer that ...

I have preached on this passage at Christmas-tide, and it strikes me that the biggest problem with it is that it is intensely theological, at a time of year when a lot of people want to hear only sentiment and simplicity.

It is also intensely sad: the world and his own people "received him not".

[ 28. December 2015, 07:42: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Arabella, I remember how lovely your garden was. I think roses without a scent are unnatural. My own garden is a disaster area, but I'm limiting the roses due to their need for frequent watering.

GG I don't know if you remember a TV series many years ago with William Barclay expounding on the Bible? My dad, a convinced atheist, watched it avidly. He said if the local Vicar ever sounded
that intelligent he just might go to church.

My knee is getting better [Yipee] I even managed to bus to church yesterday. Our buses "kneel" down low for us doddery people and one driver even offered to unfold the wheelchair ramp if I needed it - I didn't.

I was exhausted when I got home though.

I am amazed at how generous people I don't even know are. When I posted on Christmas day on a books thread in a local online community that I was lucky I had picked up a book for holiday reading before the knee flared up, another keen reader offered to drop some books off for me if I ran out. (only another bookaholic would recognise the seriousness of running out of books). [Eek!]

[ 28. December 2015, 08:26: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

How kind of them, Huia. If you take up the offer you may find yourself introduced to some new authors.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
... Piglet, do you think the Baby Jesus would cry if the reader used the AV and then I read parts of a modern paraphrase?

Possibly not if you're using it by way of explanation in your sermon. [Smile]

Some well-meaning idiot with more money than taste presented the Cathedral with a very flashy Gospel book rather like this a few years ago. I don't know which translation it is, but it's not the AV, and leaves a lot to be desired. Every year at Midnight Mass I feel as if I want to commit an act of vandalism ... [Devil]

At least for the Nine Lessons and Carols D. makes sure that a copy of the correct version is slipped into the book before the service.

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

Problem is, there are maybe 3-4 people in the congregation who could read effectively from the AV, though there are other quite competent readers, and I'm not sure how well the rostered reader would cope.

GG

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Blue tongue lizards in our garden this year. Just caught sight of one gorgeous specimen as long as my forearm and just as thick, looking very happy out in the sun. Always thought they were a blue grey in colour but this one was gold in colour with dark stripes like this.

I hope he doesn't grow much larger!

[ 30. December 2015, 00:36: Message edited by: Banner Lady ]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

A good thing to have. They eat snails etc.

We used to have goannas at Wollombi, most around 2-3 metres in length. They would come out at lunchtime into the sun and looking for scraps from lunchtime BBQ.

My brother has a couple of bluetongues in his garden and hopes they stay.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

More importantly they eat funnel webs - and around here that's a big plus.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Yes, TP has decided no more snail bait - even though he used to only ever put it inside collars on his plant pots or inside collars around trees when the snails or slugs were particularly persistent. He thinks there is another one, more slender and darker, so we are wondering whether we may see baby ones soon. According to google the Eastern blue tongue usually mates September to December and has a clutch of around 10 eggs in January. They can live for 20 years, so may see us out!

Don't know if they climb well, but perhaps that's what has been making a racket in the ivy on our back wall at night. Still think it is more likely to be a possum though.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I can now walk around the house unaided. My feet may be shuffling a bit, but my heart is dancing [Yipee]

And no painkillers last night, so my head is much clearer.

Huia

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

quote:
I can now walk around the house unaided. My feet may be shuffling a bit, but my heart is dancing [Yipee]

And no painkillers last night, so my head is much clearer.

Huia

So you can dance (maybe a little shuffling dance) for the New Year.

May 2016 be a good one for you – and all our readers.

GG

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

On that happy note from. GG for Huia, i will close this thread and start a new one. The decks need scrubbing, the portholes are encrusted with salt. Piglet, WW and I will be busy today.

Thank you all for your company and support all year.

[ 30. December 2015, 22:59: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016