homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Pacifica - Let us all Rejoice... Australia, NZ, islands, etc (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  21  22  23 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Pacifica - Let us all Rejoice... Australia, NZ, islands, etc
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Relatively quiet here in WA!
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by DangerousDeacon:
Been in the Solomon Islands for two weeks, come home (complete with infection and mild fever of course) and find out that you lot have let the entire country descend into farce!! Up here in the NT we seem to have two chief ministers (or none?), Queensland has lost its government, and Canberra has lost its mind.

When Aussie politics gets bizarre, it does it in spades. [Yipee]

f
The job is not finished yet!

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The weather is weird too.
Last week, I lit the fire on several days, as we shivered thru summer.

Now we find ourselves heading for several days of major heat.

Very odd, I tells ya!

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

- Posted      Profile for DangerousDeacon   Author's homepage   Email DangerousDeacon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Climate change. Frying the brains of our leaders. Got it.

--------------------
'All the same, it may be that I am wrong; what I take for gold and diamonds may be only a little copper and glass.'

Posts: 506 | From: Top End | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
DD- I would not call Solomon Islands a model of political stability either!

The more so when I see that the many-times disgraced Sogavare is back as PM. (or was he toppled while I wasn't watching?)

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
... Frying the brains of our leaders ...

Doesn't that imply that they've got brains? [Devil]

As the inimitable W. S. Gilbert put it:
quote:
When in that house MPs divide,
If they've a brain and cerebellum, too
They've got to leave that brain outside,
And vote just as their leaders tell 'em to.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We live in a tourist cruise ship town. Yesterday Kuruman rang me. XXX and YYY, the former my closest and dearest colleague from my theological and Potty Training days, whose husband YYY knew Kuruman from his curacy days (in a very different part of the country). Though I have seen YYY a few times (he is a priest assistant at a Well Known Melbourne Church) I haven't seen YYY for a couple of decades. They had wandered into my kirk, seen my name on the board, wondered if it was ... and had just an hour before re-embarkation.

It is surely an eschatological foretaste, the way in which such friendships resume where last they pulsed?

[Axe murder] (in a purely sororical sense)

[ 04. February 2015, 16:59: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
David
Complete Bastard
# 3

- Posted      Profile for David     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by David:
Awesome work, Queenslanders.

Except for the bit where you nearly elected Pauline Hanson. That wasn't very impressive.
Posts: 3815 | From: Redneck Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

- Posted      Profile for DangerousDeacon   Author's homepage   Email DangerousDeacon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tukai:
DD- I would not call Solomon Islands a model of political stability either!

The more so when I see that the many-times disgraced Sogavare is back as PM. (or was he toppled while I wasn't watching?)

Absolutely agree - I suppose I just expect better in Australia. The Solomon Islands has tried to move to democracy in just one generation - we have been working on it for several centuries.

Anyway, it makes for a fascinating spectator sport in both countries [Ultra confused]

--------------------
'All the same, it may be that I am wrong; what I take for gold and diamonds may be only a little copper and glass.'

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I like it, Zappa.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Each day is easier as the routine settles in.

Biggest seems to be doing homework every night, made his debut in the Second XI on the weekend, and will be having his first outing playing piano with the Senior Stage Band at a parent do on Friday night.

Middle is easing into school work, but is now in three bands including playing bass in his senior stage band. Much cricket is being played, including making his debut in senior cricket, taking Biggest's spot in 6ths.

Little Miss is adjusting to high school and has made it into the intermediate bands at her first attempt. Netball grading is well underway.

We are exhausted but quite proud.

Church is a shambles, BTW. Trying to ignore.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This morning my brother fished a funnel web out of his pool and took it for collection to local hospital. Then this evening i read this in SMH. Our damp summer has encouraged them to be out and about.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

My brother said these stories surface regularly. Perhaps so, but it pays to be careful in those areas here where they are.

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am on "pool patrol" for funnel webs every morning at the moment.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Curly:
I am on "pool patrol" for funnel webs every morning at the moment.

mr curly

You are both in one of their favoured habitats.

--------------------

Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When I lived in the Blue Mts I worked at a motel with an indoor pool and was always fishing them out and sending them to the hospital. It was alarming at times when one of the staff had been doing a pool check and an hour or so later a guest would tell a staff member a spider is in the pool.

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Why do you send them to a hospital? What do they do with them?
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Commonwealth Serum Laboratory (probably privatised 15 times backwards by now) collects them from the hospitals, and then milks them for their venom. It is used in the manufacture of the anti-venene. I can't recall the exact figures, but the venom from several dozen spiders is needed to make one dose of the anti-venene. The collected spiders have a luxury life, food brought to them best china and silverware etc, to keep them alive as long as possible to enable repeat milkings.

There has been no fatality since the anti-venene was discovered. It is very effective, but has to be administered quickly after a bite. Atrax robustus is not a nice creature.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I never realised funnel web spiders liked to have an early morning dip in the pool. You'd think that the smell of pool chemicals would deter them a bit.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I acknowledge the need for the venom, but I fear my first reaction would be to stomp them with heavy workboots! Or similar.

Very glad I never met one. Now the wallaby, in Brisbane, quite another thing. And I don't think I will ever forget the koala being detached from my shirt.

PS - Joey was delicious!

[ 12. February 2015, 23:12: Message edited by: Uncle Pete ]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
I never realised funnel web spiders liked to have an early morning dip in the pool. You'd think that the smell of pool chemicals would deter them a bit.

They loove pools, we used to get them in the bottom of the pool at my parents' place(bushy area frequented by spiders) all the time. You have to be very careful getting them out-they can come back to life and bite you despite appearing to be quite dead. You shouldn't leave pool toys lying around and/or in the water overnight as funnel webs also like to be on them and can bite you by surprise.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When I first moved to Sydney, the bloke selling me my first car told me about how he and his family had seen a funnel web marching across the kitchen floor. His father had the presence of mind to spray it liberally with oven cleaner (having no Mortein to hand). It marched merrily onwards.

So the fact that pool chemicals don't worry them doesn't unduly surprise me.

Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

As we Australians love to tell our English and American friends - all our wildlife is deadly. On land (spiders and snakes and boxing kangaroos), in the water (blue ring octopus, sharks, crocodiles), and in the air (swooping magpies). Abandon hope, all ye who enter here!

--------------------

rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
DD, you forgot the ubiquitous drop bears!

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Killing me]

I had to Google them, and was quite distressed. Aren't koalas supposed to be cute?

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
As we Australians love to tell our English and American friends - all our wildlife is deadly. On land (spiders and snakes and boxing kangaroos), in the water (blue ring octopus, sharks, crocodiles), and in the air (swooping magpies). Abandon hope, all ye who enter here!

You forgot drop bears, bunyips and yowies!

Sorry, Rexory. I should have read to end of thread before posting.

[ 13. February 2015, 20:02: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Awesome work, Queenslanders.

Except for the bit where you nearly elected Pauline Hanson. That wasn't very impressive.
Thank God she didn't get the majority. I don't know what the people of Lockyer were thinking.
Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
quote:

You forgot drop bears, bunyips and yowies!

Sorry, Rexory. I should have read to end of thread before posting.

I didn't even get to the cryptozoology! A few years ago Kosovar refugees were at Singleton Army Camp, which is surrounded by kangaroos and those road signs warning of kangaroos. Apparently some of the locals with a sick sense of humour told the refugees that the kangaroos were carnivorous (hence the warning signs), and particularly loved the flesh of young children. So come dusk, when the mobs of kangaroos came out to eat the grass, the refugees would hide inside their houses with their children. Who needs drop bears?

--------------------

rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

Saddened by the death of Bishop Barbara Darling this morning in Melbourne. Barb taught us Church History at Ridley.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by rexory:
Saddened by the death of Bishop Barbara Darling this morning in Melbourne. Barb taught us Church History at Ridley.

That is sad news.

--------------------

Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] May she rest in peace and rise in glory! [Votive]

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

According to the Dean of Melbourne, her funeral will be on 22 February at 5.00 pm at the Cathedral. May +Barbara rest in peace and rise in glory.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Indeed, may +Barbara rest in peace and rise in glory.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As ever, our lovely Anglicans hosted a great Shrove Tuesday pancake lunch... Fabulous food, delightful conversation....

In small towns, everyone goes to everything, and admires profusely.

I feel most shroven. And ecumenically blessed.

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For us it's a community event in the park – lots of pancakes, clowns, music, bouncy castle, picnic teas, getting together with friends from the other church or none. A late afternoon party in warm sunshine.
Lovely! (Now I have to get someone to write the story for the parish magazine).

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Over here, the words "Shrove Tuesday", "picnic" and "warm sunshine" aren't likely to be heard in the same sentence ... [Big Grin]

Glad you all had a good one.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Here are the proper rituals for Shrove Tuesday (courtesy of Anglicans Online). You will always feel properly shriven if you follow these. This morning looks a day for celebration of Christmas or Easter, rather than Ash Wednesday - clear and cool as I walked to the station this morning, then the bright sun walking up Martin Place.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Here are the proper rituals for Shrove Tuesday (courtesy of Anglicans Online). You will always feel properly shriven if you follow these. This morning looks a day for celebration of Christmas or Easter, rather than Ash Wednesday - clear and cool as I walked to the station this morning, then the bright sun walking up Martin Place.

Thank you for this. I was reminded of the saying that one learns someting new everyday.😋

--------------------

Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you, Gee D. I'd lost my bookmark of that page a couple of years ago and haven't been able to share it since.

I had no pancakes yesterday. I'm in Adelaide for work, but I did this evening manage a visit to St Mary Magdalene's on Moore Street. Just what I've grown used to now I'm at All Trains, although I've never seen Palm crosses burned in the service before.

A holy Lent to all.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Miss M is at Westmead Children's hospital today for a rescheduled bone marrow biopsy done under general anaesthetic for children. It was due two weeks ago, but her place was taken by a child admitted as an emergency, just as she had been thirteen months ago.

There is no reason to suspect anything wrong and doctors are very pleased with her progress, but it is always a bit of a worry till results come through.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Please give her a hug from me and tell her that Uncle Pete still prays. [Axe murder]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Thank you Uncle Pete. I passed your message on to son who is at hospital. He sends thanks and says he will give her a hug from you. He is still very grateful for support from here and another craft forum to which I belong.

--------------------

bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did everyone go to church yesterday for Ash Wednesday? We had a full choir for the evening service, but the attendance by the congregation was very disappointing - I counted only 15! The service was very meaningful, but I was sad that so many regulars from church didn't front.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Was in Canberra for a meeting so attended 7.30am at All Trains, a simple, reflective said Eucharist. Vulpior, is the small terrier who joined us a regular?
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

[Votive] and hugs for Miss M. from over here too, Loth.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

We hope your granddaughter's biopsy went well. It sounds a horrible procedure, especially for one so young.

--------------------

Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas Aus:
Was in Canberra for a meeting so attended 7.30am at All Trains, a simple, reflective said Eucharist. Vulpior, is the small terrier who joined us a regular?

Yes, we have a regular dog. In the choir loft when the choir is singing [Smile]

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Surely any dog at All Trains would be a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel......

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
We hope your granddaughter's biopsy went well. It sounds a horrible procedure, especially for one so young.

Thank you, all seems well. Children get the benefit of a general anaesthetic, adults may not. She has had then regularly, possibly between 12-15 in the last year.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  21  22  23 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016