homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Pacifica - Let us all Rejoice... Australia, NZ, islands, etc (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  21  22  23 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Pacifica - Let us all Rejoice... Australia, NZ, islands, etc
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
GG, that kind of swindler always seems worse to me, targeting the vulnerable. Being a woman living alone I have also had them attempt their to scam me. I never buy from people who door knock and once turned down a reputable company who were following up on some routine maintenance the previous owner had organised - until I checked their credentials with friends.

My good news is that the driveway is finished! [Yipee]

Still awaiting the completion of the fence.

[ 16. April 2015, 21:11: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That must feel good, Huia. Worth the wait as my mother would have said?

As to scams, I answered mobile last night to find someone supposedly from a well known, reasonably large ISP wanting to sell me a great deal for $5 month. Far too good to be true and it was only a PC that was part of the deal. I finally said the number she had called was on do not call register and she very promptly hung up.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Loth that must feel really satisfying to see off a scammer like that.

I have killed my smart phone. Last night I decided to treat myself to a hot chocolate drink (guilt free - very low fat and made with stevia rather than sugar). Just as I was relaxing and feeling sleepy I knocked it over, taking out not only the phone, but a library book I just picked up yesterday [Waterworks] and necessitating stripping the bed and remaking it. I was [Mad] with myself, but I did what I could and made a fresh drink. Then I downloaded the book on my kindle.

So today I will visit my favourite bookshop, [Yipee] and try to replace the library book (the library don't charge if you do this, whereas there is an extra cost of $15 for processing if you don't).

I won't replace the phone as I can't hear it ring anyway. Back to a simpler version with a louder ringer and a loudspeaker.

Huia - Domesticdisasters'R'us [Help]

[ 17. April 2015, 20:16: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a waterproof mattress protector on my bed solely to manage my serial spillage of bedtime hot drinks - you are not alone !

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I never try having a hot drink in bed; I can't get comfortable to enjoy it (same reason I don't read in bed), so if I want hot chocolate I have it just before turning in.

Mmmmm ... hot chocolate ... [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
First grand daughter sleep over tonight. Chez Banner will be cramped but happy to embrace this milestone.
Lots of craft time in the studio planned. [Yipee]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, and I saw MM at the Church With the Pond yesterday. He is now doing a law degree in Sydney and commuting to Canberra each weekend to fulfil his Musical Director responsibilities. I'd say he is just a tad busy!

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
First grand daughter sleep over tonight. Chez Banner will be cramped but happy to embrace this milestone.
Lots of craft time in the studio planned. [Yipee]

How did it go? Lots of envy from us.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hope all around Sydney are coping OK with this weather. I am fine here but have been watching cars aquaplaning through big intersection downstairs as drivers do not take account of conditions. Eventually there will be an accident as one slides into a bus or a pole. Probably sooner than later.

Son, barely north of Woywoy took day off. He had afternoon off to have medical appointments. No power,no trains, no buses. No way to get to Gosford to govt agency where he works. Trains are stopped between Hamilton and Woywoy, earlier Berowra.

Nasty flooding at Dungog with fatalities and house cast adrift. Waves off Sydney reported at 11 metres.

He rang me from shops at Woywoy where power was on. He has decided to buy BBQ chook for dinner as easy option. He is a good cook so will grumble.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Severe flooding across the region, including Maitland and other areas locally, with houses carried away in Dungog. Elsewhere much wind damage, with trees and powerlines down, homes destroyed. Car yards and shops under water. We live near one of the highest points in town, but have had water through the rumpus room and garages, as the gutters were so full that water from our yard and the houses behind us could not get away, and surcharged up through our stormwater drains. Worse than the Pasha Bulker storm in 2007. We are lucky so far, as we have power, when thousands of others are dark and cold.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Son at Koolewong is without power all day. He had medical appointments in Woywoy so I guess he caught cab as he doesn't drive. Power is on there so he has bought BBQ chook.

I don't think of flooding and Dungog. Maitland yes, Paterson too.

Hope you can get things dry if you had water through the place.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A wild and woolly day indeed. At least I got into the city with no train troubles. Getting home won't be too bad as I'm getting off the train a half dozen stations early to meet Madame for dinner. She'll have the car parked underneath the restaurant.

It's terrible news about those drowned and the houses swept from their footings. Perhaps, as Lothlorien says, the sort of thing that could have happened at Maitland or Morpeth, somewhere on the Hunter itself, and I can well remember the major flooding there in the mid-fifties, but not at Dungog. Our thoughts must be for those suffering there and elsewhere.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Piglet, without in any way breaching the compiler's rights, can you give a rough list of ingredients and proportions for the mix you talk of please? We can buy orzo here, called risoni, and the others you mention seem available as well. Barley "risotto? is good, but you do need to soak and cook the barley beforehand.

--------------------

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Chichester Dam was spilling before this rain, and was described earlier today as spilling in an uncontrolled manner. It feeds into the Williams River which flows around the northern edge of town. Have just heard a radio report that families got out of their houses with only minutes to save their lives and are now destitute.
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Thinking of you all with such nasty weather - just don't send it over here please.

This morning I threw some grainy bread on the garage roof for the birds - the first one landed before the bread did so I must get some proper seed for them.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I remember going from class to class collecting funds for Maitland flood relief then. Fifty cents total from a class in our little semi rural school was a good effort in a day. Long time ago now and I think a lot of flood abatement measures have been put in place around Maitland now.

Nephew has had his internship cancelled for today so he and brother are eating local Japanese tonight where they are well known.

Parking underneath too.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Yacht on train line at Gosford, according to son in area.

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pretty wet and wild here. Trees down blocking local roads near us.
Mr and Mrs Curly Senior arrived from Perth late this afternoon, and their train was unable to make it to Gordon due to trees on the track. I was able to pick them up from Chatswood without getting stuck in a traffic vortex.
Kids back at school but doing some extra driving to get them to and fro without getting drenched etc.
Couple of meetings this week re potential jobs, if I can make it to them!
Stay safe and dry fellow Sydneysiders.
mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

- Posted      Profile for MSHB   Email MSHB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Thinking of you all with such nasty weather - just don't send it over here please.

Apparently we have decided to be greedy and hog it all to ourselves. I think.

--------------------
MSHB: Member of the Shire Hobbit Brigade

Posts: 1522 | From: Dharawal Country | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

I made it in this morning catching the train. It ran more or less on time, much as usual. With great foresight, the clerk got busy early through the afternoon yesterday and organised a fleet of hire cars to get us home. I was dropped off at Chatswood to meet Madame for dinner, and my car then went on to deliver a couple of others to the bosom of their families further along the line. I have no idea how the trains are running as the website is clogged.

Certainly a wild night, and the work of the SES and other emergency services in the conditions is something for which we as a community must be enormously grateful. Those poor people at Dungog, though....

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I agree with Gee D about the work of the SES. Apparently they have already answered 7900 calls and the the need goes on. My DIL worked with SES for quite a long time. She had most of the qualifications, roof work, big trucks, radio, flood relief, emergency power repairs and more. I used to babysit as my contribution to the effort. She had to stop as she took on a new job which would not allow time off for such volunteer work.

Grandson has a day off school. His school, Point Clare, has no power and several trees down with more threatening to topple. I guess he will go to work with his dad if there is transport. There wasn't yesterday, neither bus or train. I guess that also means son is still without power after waking to no power yesterday. If he can get to work he can charge phone etc.

A real doozy of a thunderstorm here last night which lasted for hours with amazing thunder which I at first thought was a series of explosions.

--------------------

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

Still raining on and off up here. Travel to and from Maitland and Cessnock almost impossible due to road closures. Car washed off Cessnock Rd just outside Maitland this morning with two people believed inside, not found yet.

Some of our parishioners have been without power since 3.45am yesterday. Our OLM and his wife have a tree through their kitchen roof, which fortunately didn't initially penetrate as they were sitting there when it fell. Local primary school closed until water supplies can be restored as falling tree has ripped up the watermain.

Daughter had text message last night that water has entered a storage unit in Horseshoe Bend at Maitland due to a blocked drain in neighbouring street. Proprietors organising free skips for tomorrow to dispose of damaged gear, but don't know if we'll be able to get through.

Others across the valley much worse off, so we are praying for them, and will give practical assistance where possible. Samaritans office in Cessnock was surrounded by floodwater yesterday, don't know if it was inundated.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Saw pictures of Dungog. Incredible!. Yes, power is out over a large area. I am sure many people are working where possible, alongside RFS and SES volunteers. Ausgrid's site is not helpful.

Barnabas, I remember you mentioning the Bardwell Park Earlwood area some time ago in a storm. Did you see the pictures in SMH of water over railway tracks again at Bardwell park. lapping at platform edge. Last time, the club next door was also flooded, refrigeration was ruined. Lots of stored wine suddenly became cleanskins etc. It took them months to empty and clean. I hope they changed things then or they will be doing it all over again.

--------------------

DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

- Posted      Profile for DangerousDeacon   Author's homepage   Email DangerousDeacon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thinking of you all in the south. My former parish in the lower Hunter has taken a bit of a battering, with some of the parishioners forced to evacuate to higher ground. Meanwhile, up here the Dry Season seems to have arrived - low humidity, south-east wind, dragonflies.
[Votive] for Newcastle and the Hunter
and much as I don't know how to do this
[Votive] for Sydney

--------------------
'All the same, it may be that I am wrong; what I take for gold and diamonds may be only a little copper and glass.'

Posts: 506 | From: Top End | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

If you are on FB, there is an aerial video of some of the flooding around Maitland. Water everywhere. Do 't have link here.

Son on Central Coast could get to work at Gosford where he was able to shower and charge things like phones. He has been told his area will probably have no power till weekend. It is almost 48 hours since it went out.

Both schools for children were shut but will hopefully open tomorrow..

--------------------

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Daughter in Manly reckoned it was a good thing they had all their camping gear to cook as the power was off there for most of a day and night and their children sent home from school. She took thermoses of hot tea to neighbours who were less well prepared.

We know all too well what it's like, as power, piped water etc would go off for a week or so in Fiji after a cyclone.

On another note, are the Marama and I the only ones fed up with endless Gallipoli commemorations and their TV coverage for which the allegedly skint government has spent more than $300 million?

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

No, apparently "ANZAC Fatigue" has been diagnosed by the media gurus.

At least the terrible weather around the Hunter has given a different focus for a while. A few weeks ago we sold two distinctive pine bed bases with drawers underneath each one to a young family relocating to the Upper Hunter. I can't help thinking about them, and hoping they are okay. I half expect to see the beds floating down a street or splintered into dam debris when I look at the news.

It was so wild and windy here yesterday I had a migraine all day. I never do well in the wind, but this was a particularly vile one that left me nauseated. A minor discomfort knowing what others were going through - glad things are much calmer today.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Sunshine here today but cloud coming back. Forecast thunderstorm this morning, a sort of last hurrah for this weather.

No school for grandchildren on Central coast for this week. One school has been flooded, the other had trees fall on demountable classrooms. Both are still without power.

Son has been told another five days before power is restored. They hope it is earlier, but could well be that time. Ice and candles are like hens's teeth. He has several bbqs and is now picking up bush sticks from yard and road instead of using charcoal. He managed to get to work at Gosford yesterday where he could have a shower and charge phone and laptop.

Power went out at 3:00 am last Monday morning and it may well not be restored till much that time next Monday..

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] for those of you affected by floods, storms etc.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Someone mentioned axe murderers and shipmeets. Not all on internet are such.

I belong to a very large site for knitters and crocheters. One person in a group to which I belong has just moved to a few minutes from son. She has been without power for same length of time.

Her husband will be away next week and she is a bit apprehensive in case there is a repeat performance or something similar of current chaos. Over the group in forum we have arranged an exchange of phone numbers and he has told her to ring any time. She knows no one in area. Strange thing is that they bought the house from parents of a workmate of son. Son did all the negotiating for his parents who were not well. Not only someone from same place but they work together.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

My son is cooking with gas as the ad and saying go. There was a mercy mission mounted from Sydney to Central Coast . We bought new gas ring and gas bottle, ice which is hard to find, some food staples which can be cooked in one pot dishes on gas ring.

It is sunny here so things may dry out a bit. Son is still without power and it could be Monday or Tuesday before it is restored. He says it is difficult, but thery are all unhurt and house has no damage. Messy with branches etc, but no damage.

Schools for his children are still closed. One has no power, the other has no power but has trees on toilet block and a couple of classrooms and some branches of other trees are dangling dangerously.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

The one useful thing that the wild wind did for us was to clear our street of a couple of tonnes of autumn leaves. Normally they all blow on to our side, as this side of the street is slightly lower. But today all is calm and the street is squeaky clean - as are most of the trees!

I remember how awful cleaning up after a flood is - and the need for houses to be re-wired and re plastered after they have dried out. A smelly and expensive process. May all find help when they most need it. I expect a lot of older residents will use this as the signal to find residential care, their possessions having been forcibly downsized. May they find that too. [Votive]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Praying for all in Christchurch and surrounds. 6.3 quake reported by SMH.

--------------------

Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm okay down here in Chch, actually logged in to check on Huia [Smile] the quake was centred up near Kaikoura so actually quite a ways from us. Wellington and the rest of central NZ will have got a good dose too.

It was my first felt big distance quake so I had a sense something was not quite right before the up and down really got going. Lasted 10-15 seconds of noticeable shaking and then a good while longer of rolling down here.

Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

You have better info than originally posted where Christchurch was first place mentioned in paper over here.

[ 24. April 2015, 05:41: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Bannerlady that sounds devastating. [Votive] for all those affected. I hope some Kiwis come over to help in the clean up. I remember how Australian urban Search and Rescue were amongst the first to help out in Christchurch

The quake today was intense -somewhere between 6.2 and 6.4, and lasted around 20 seconds. Because it was deeper than the Christchurch sequence has been it was felt widely throughout New Zealand. So far the worse damage reported has been a slip in a short tunnel south of Kaikoura. No one is reported to be injured, although things fell off shelves in the Kaikoura area.(about 2hrs drive north from Christchurch). Also trains in Wellington, Kaikoura and in the Alps were stopped while tracks were checked.

Apparently it was felt by many people in Christchurch. I was on a bus that was driving down a really bumpy street so I was totally unaware of it until I heard the news [Smile] . I [Axe murder] buses.

According to the news this may be an aftershock of an earlier quake, but deep quakes tend to have fewer aftershocks according to a seismologist on the news. Another seismologist has predicted that Christchurch has a 53% chance of an aftershock of magnitude 5 or bigger. This percentage will drop over time but the aftershocks will continue for decades [Frown]

All of which reminds me I must see about my emergency kit, especially the water supply.

Huia

--------------------

Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
All of which reminds me I must see about my emergency kit, especially the water supply.

Ha, I was thinking the same thing. Like you, I was travelling so didn't feel it - although I was driving in the first of last year's Seddon quakes and I thought I'd blown a tire, so must depend on the kind of quake. Glad to hear you're OK.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.

Lest we forget

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gallipoli on all channels all day, so you can take your pick. I just watched two young Kiwis (a Maori g-grandson of a soldier and great-grandaughter of Colonel Malone – who I hadn't known anything about till this month) and a couple of young Turks (she a g-granddaughter of the longest lived survivor) meeting and making friends, taking flowers to Ataturk's friendship memorial, dining together. Very moving. Time to take a break.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

About a thousand or so at our local service this morning, remembering the 8,200 odd from Australia and 2,000 from NZ who died in the débacle of this badly planned operation, doomed always to fail. All 4 of us (that includes Dog) were there, and had coffee afterwards with Lothlorien's brother.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Not the only dog either from what my brother said.

My most moving Anzac March memory was in a very small town in Central West. More village size. It had a cottage hospital and a war memorial as well. We were at friends. About twenty men, including ex Mr L who had never done such a thing before, lined up. They marched down the dusty main road,accompanied by half a dozen stray dogs. There was a short service and the gathering adjourned to the pub.

Lest we forget.

--------------------

Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
They say that the Canberra Dawn Service attracted 1/3 of the population, and similar in Alice Springs. I reckon we had an equivalent number of the local population in Bungendore.

First time at the gunfire breakfast, complete with instant coffee (yeuch) and a tot of rum (vast improvement).

Lest we forget.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

It was good that the weather here was fine for the Dawn Parade and that the Bridge Of Rememberance has been repaired.

I haven't been to any ANZAC services, the closest I've got to the Last Post was painting the letterbox, but I have been remembering a couple of Great Uncles.

Uncle Len lived in Christchurch and was gassed in France. He wasn't expected to live long when he came home, but he was still riding his bike around the city into his late eighties. The second, from Wellington took to his scrapers when conscription was announced and sailed off to the South Island.

Huia

[ 25. April 2015, 02:33: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My church has a big ANZAC weekend art show. Given that the local Anglican priest retires next week, we decided he could do the services, as a swan song, and I would spend most of the weekend at the show, working, and talking to folk about ANZAC issues. It as been interesting. I bought two paintings....

The show is fabulous. The world is cold and wet here.... Autumn leaves dance across the lawn in the wind. I it all seems very suitable for the season.

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

- Posted      Profile for DangerousDeacon   Author's homepage   Email DangerousDeacon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
An exhausting couple of days. Officiated at the Dawn Service here (which is the only service): told I made national TV - I suspect as a five second grab! Huge attendance - about 10,000 people.

The reaction to Anzac Day is interesting, and quite varied. Some of my congregation have significant reservations (some of which I share) - but for me, as someone who served and saw the sacrifice made by some, it has a different feeling again. By the end of the Day, the emotions leave me exhausted.

--------------------
'All the same, it may be that I am wrong; what I take for gold and diamonds may be only a little copper and glass.'

Posts: 506 | From: Top End | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I played the organ for an Anzac service at a local nursing home. We were in the middle of the 'traditional silence' when an old chap yelled out "where's the rum?". I'm afraid that was the end of the reverential silence and we all collapsed into giggles.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

Our little town attracted somewhere approaching 2000 to the Dawn Service, and about the same to the mid-morning commemoration. That amounts to between 35 and 50% of the population depending whether you count the neighbouring villages or not. It was an amazing response, especially the number of children and adolescents who respectfully participated.
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was somewhere between Johannesburg and Auckland for all of ANZAC Day, though saw some of the coverage of it in the QANTAS Club rooms in Perth. it struck me as totally AAC Day with no mention of the NZ bit, but that's life I guess. I was too jet-lagged to take much notice and to be honest it was a relief not to have to worry about it for once ... some of the Ministry of Funny Walks stuff was fun, though.

Not my favourite festival. Redgum (anachronistically) and Ralph McTell summarise my response to the day. I grew up in the era of The One Day of the Year attitudes and though formally I engage in the activities I'd prefer to be at home with a good book. Or in the sky above the Indian Ocean, cattle class for 40 hours of flying and queuing and transit lounging* (we started at Lusaka).

Which is not to say I am a Pacifist. I'm not, quite, and I hugely admire the bravery of those who fought.

*By the way ... I rate Perth as the worst Transit lounge in the western world. Fortunately Kuruman could wangle the Club access on the back of her membership of the Air New Zealand equivalent. So we watched the poor people and I felt suitable guilty as I swallowed Boags and Wynns Coonawarras ...

One more ... (anachronistic too) ... because this is amazing and seizes the ambiguity with words far greater than I can achieve.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Belated thanks from a Pom, who recognises the part Australians and New Zealanders played, and he price they paid, in two world wars. A special mention for all who served in RAF Bomber Command which would have missed some of its bravest and best.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

In the thick of it here in Canberra. B1 went to her first dawn service and remembers looking down at the 120,000 filling Anzac Parade and thinking "that's about how many didn't come home to their families". As the mother of two sons, one of them newly in cadet uniform, it affected her deeply. This is a Good Thing, in my book. The solo didgeridoo, bagpipes & bugle also will be etched in her memory forever.

I spent the beginning and the end of the day with my mother, who I knew would be doing a lot of reminiscing. Glad I did, as out tumbled stories I had not heard before. I had never heard that her youngest uncle joined the Snowy Mountain Light Horse Brigade. He then went through Gallipoli & France before being demobbed in the UK and bringing home his British war bride. I knew about all her cousins who served in WW2, and that my father was at the bombing of Darwin serving as a military MP, but the WW1 connection was new to me.

I will therefore remember the 100th anniversary as adding something of significance into our lives, despite all the hooha and sloppy sentimentalising of much of it. Big brickbats to Prince Charles's speech writer and his tiny violin while neatly sidestepping any acknowledgment of Britains role in making something even more dreadful than it needed to be. [Projectile]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  21  22  23 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016