homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Getting Hitched 2015 (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Getting Hitched 2015
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scots lass:
It's acceptable to just have nothing on my head, isn't it?

Oh totally! I was always very sure I didn't want a veil, ever since I went to my first university friend to get married's wedding, watched her husband lift her veil at the start of the ceremony, and just thought 'ugh' (I wasn't expecting that - they were a lovely couple, we were all GLEs - but it was a very visceral reaction to the symbolism of the action). As it happens, a lovely shipmate from the other side of the world, on hearing of our engagement, asked me if she could make me a tiara as a gift. It was stunning (she did my necklace and earrings too), really understated, and just perfect for me.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had fairly short hair since Methuselah was a wee fellow, and when I got married I didn't want a veil* either, so I had a little circlet of plaited pearly things with a wee fancy doo-dah at the back, which looked OK with short hair.

* More specifically, I didn't want a train: just before we got engaged, I played the part of the Plaintiff in Trial by Jury and had to appear as a (jilted) bride. The dress I was given had a very short train (no more than a foot long) but every time I took a step backwards I trod on it, and decided that I didn't want that kind of hassle on my real wedding day. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
quote:
It's acceptable to just have nothing on my head, isn't it?

Oh totally! I was always very sure I didn't want a veil, ever since I went to my first university friend to get married's wedding, watched her husband lift her veil at the start of the ceremony, and just thought 'ugh' (I wasn't expecting that - they were a lovely couple, we were all GLEs - but it was a very visceral reaction to the symbolism of the action). As it happens, a lovely shipmate from the other side of the world, on hearing of our engagement, asked me if she could make me a tiara as a gift. It was stunning (she did my necklace and earrings too), really understated, and just perfect for me.
Many veils these days go nowhere near the face but sit somewhere at the back of the head.

Not that you need to have anything you don't want.

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the reassurance! I get a bit of "but that's what everyone does" based surprise from my mum every time I suggest doing something a bit different, and it starts me off worrying. The birdcage veil I acquired to try (only to discover that did't work either) came with a little ivory flower clip, so I think I might work out how best to wear that and go with very simple indeed.
Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After a mere four and a half months, we've finally got round to dealing with our photos.

For the viewing pleasure of the fine folks hereabouts, a picture of the wedding of the century

(Bragging rights: dress made by my mother; make-up by yours truly; cake made by my father (and half of it is still is my in-laws house - guess we'll get round to eating it at Christmas [Biased] ))

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
WOOOWW! [Axe murder]

Love the cake, love the dress, love the lipstick, but most of all love the shoes!

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The shoes! Beautiful.
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Beautiful all round. Congratulations again

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, wow! Beautiful!
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Scots lass, hopefully the comments above should make you feel better. Red shoes are definitely not what everyone does, which incidentally is why I wore them [Biased] You can see how well they went down.

Personally I never quite get why people want to do things exactly the same as everyone else. Something about tradition I suppose, but a lot of that stuff just ain’t me.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow cubed - you look lovely. [Smile]

In the picture of the shoes, I was expecting you to click your heels together like Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Beautiful LVER - many congratulations to you. You looked lovely - I love the shoes and the matching smile!
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great photos and I love the hat!

I have some Marxist friends in UK and when they married the bride wore the most outrageous bright red shoes with enormous heels - fab!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So elegant! Lovely pictures, thanks for sharing!
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow LVER - you, your husband, the cake and the car look wonderful. I too have a severe case of shoe envy.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's a perfectly judged outfit: the hat, the lippy, the dress length and the shoes all add up to a look that's stylish and individual while still being recognisably bridal.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, those are great photos! Congratulations!

I love that it's all obviously bridal without being incredibly traditional - very reassuring for my veil-skipping plans [Biased]

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
bump

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

Our wedding is now a week tomorrow. What might we have forgotten to do...?

We have clothes, a church, a minister, the paperwork, a reception venue, food, wine and a band. Those are all the important things, aren't they?

Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Guests? [Biased]
Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A groom?
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone to take photos/video for you?
Transport to get you to venues?

[ 23. October 2015, 19:56: Message edited by: Lucia ]

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An idea of timings. I forgot to divide time available by number of guests and spent too long chatting to some, with the result I barely spoke to others.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Witnesses? Do make sure they are qualified (age, not undischarged bankrupts, whatever).

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well tomorrow is the Big Day.....
Our three weeks leave back here have flown by and I've had laptop problems so haven't really been able to visit the Ship.
All the family are safely gathered in from across the globe and our lovely youngest daughter has caught a vile cold just in time for her wedding.
But she is getting married and at one point we weren't even sure she'd make it this far- so we're thankful she is still in remission and that she has such a wonderful husband in the making.
Here's to the champagne tomorrow and the red eye flight back to Kenya on Monday!

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

Oh, congratulations MrsBeaky and daughter! That sounds lovely, I hope you all have an absolutely wonderful day.

I have a groom, a photographer, witnesses and we're meant to have guests. If they don't show, I'm having their wine [Big Grin] ! Thanks for the time tip, NEQ - it's going to be tight to get to talk to everyone and I'm resigned to not getting to talk to some friends for as long as I would like.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Hope you have a wonderful day, Mrs. Beaky, and that Miss Beaky's cold takes a running jump so that she can have a wonderful day too.

SL, good luck for your nuptials next week too - hope everything goes well and you don't forget anything ... [Paranoid]

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hope Miss Beaky has a wonderful day, cold or no cold, and that you all enjoy being together.
I think that's the best things about weddings, I loved having all my favourite people in one place for the day when I got married.
Scots Lass, what we did was wirte down our diary of the day while we could still remember it - so many things were going on it's easy to forget them all later.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

There are a whole load of small things that you could try to bear in mind (remember tissues, touch up for your makeup, spare tights, needle and thread etc etc etc), but if you have a capable chief bridesmaid, I highly recommend farming this job out to her.

Delegating stuff is a key to feeling less stressed, I think. In our case, the major job that needed delegating was transport - our reception was in the middle of nowhere so we needed to make sure everyone had a ride. In a flash of inspiration we realised that my second witness/bridesmaid is German [Big Grin] . This job was subcontracted to Teutonic organisation and consequently it all went like clockwork.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Oh, congratulations MrsBeaky and daughter! That sounds lovely, I hope you all have an absolutely wonderful day.

I have a groom, a photographer, witnesses and we're meant to have guests. If they don't show, I'm having their wine [Big Grin] ! Thanks for the time tip, NEQ - it's going to be tight to get to talk to everyone and I'm resigned to not getting to talk to some friends for as long as I would like.

On the subject of time do remember that it takes time to assemble the various groups and some photographers are better organised than others. Photographs matter but it's a wedding first.

At the best organised wedding from this point of view canapés and drinks were served so those who weren't in shot had something to do.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

The wedding went off without a hitch, all the planning made it a really good day. Absolutely exhausting by the end of it though, there were a lot of people to talk to and I know I didn't talk to some of them as much as I would have liked. Fortunately, my friend who came all the way from NZ for the wedding arrived a couple of days early so we had a chance to catch up then.

Our photographer has put some photos up on her blog (and if you're Edinburgh based and need a photographer, she was very good), so if you'd like to see some pics they're here.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Huge congratulations, SL (and Scots Bloke) - you look lovely, and it looks to have been a wonderful, smile-filled day.

[Smile]

[ 24. November 2015, 01:22: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lovely photos. You look to have had a great day. Best wishes for the future.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree, it looks like a super wedding! Many congratulations.

The photographer is obviously talented, some great shots there, and it sounds from the blog that she had fun on the day, too.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very familiar streets and buildings - Southside Rools OK!

Long life and happiness!

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fabulous photos - you all look so happy [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Congratulations Scots Lass and Lad. The pictures are lovely, as are your dress and shoes. You both look smashing. Glad you found a great solution to the what to wear in your hair problem.

--------------------

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Look at those lovely shoes! Congratulations.
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How long was everyone waving sparklers around before the fireworks photo came out?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sioni Sais:On the subject of time do remember that it takes time to assemble the various groups and some photographers are better organised than others. Photographs matter but it's a wedding first.
(I really hate this part of weddings. This is where I normally go for the booze.)

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

The shoes! The shoes!

Congratulations [Big Grin]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
... Photographs matter but it's a wedding first ...

Absolutely. We were lucky that our photographer was quite happy to restrict himself to what we wanted, without faffing about with posed shots in studios and pretty gardens.

As the reception venue was right across the road from the cathedral, once he (and the guests) had snapped what they wanted, we led a sort of procession across the road, rather like the Pied Piper. That way we got there first and could greet the guests as they arrived.

--------------------

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations to SL and Scots Lad too - what a happy day!
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations Scots Lass and Lad! What wonderful pictures - you look absolutely beautiful!

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I must just come back a moment to agree with everyone else who has already said it that the shoes are FAB!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I must just come back a moment to agree with everyone else who has already said it that the shoes are FAB!

Me too. [Smile]

shoe-fetishistic piglet

--------------------

Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

Thank you everyone!

The shoes are indeed fabulous and I will be wearing them again at every opportunity! [Big Grin]

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016