homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » UnChristmas (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: UnChristmas
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
For some, Christmas Day is the most difficult. . . . [W]e invite you to reflect on the pain, loneliness, anxiety or sadness you may feel. With words of lament, prayer, moments of silence, and reflective music, we will acknowledge the pain in our world and seek God’s presence and healing. . . . [Y]ou will find hope and comfort in knowing that you are not alone.
YMMV, and it probably works for some, but the last thing I'd want to do on Christmas Day is focus on being miserable.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TBF, the service is being held before Christmas - presumably so's you can get the feeling miserable over early, and possibly be that bit less morose on The Day.

I have been facilitating others' preparation (through the power invested in me by a Costco card) without feeling the need to provision the house as for the Siege of Stalingrad. My big food extravagance today was a string of genuine Breton onions.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glad to hear it went well, Beenster - here's to a speedy recovery. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here it is, UnChristmas Day.

For all of us who, by choice or necessity, are observing an unfestivity, I hope this midwinter brings what you most need. Peace, strength, comfort, pleasure.

Where can we live but days?

Days: Philip Larkin

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lemon chicken, prawns in chilli sauce and rice done, red bean paste cakes and pandan cake at hand. I'm embarking on a clear-out and tidy-up, but interspersed with periods of flopping on the couch watching television, which I don't normally do and am rather enjoying.

I can't say I feel Christmassy. It just feels like a rather quiet bank holiday and just as well everything is closed and it's pouring with rain, I barely have the energy to move around at the moment.

David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

- Posted      Profile for David Goode     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
There's absolutely nothing to stop you eating Something That Isn't Turkey™ - if it was my choice, I'd much rather have venison. Or beef, or lamb, or chicken ... [Big Grin]

We had lamb, carrot, and potato casserole for our Christmas lunch. And we've just finished supper, which was linguine, leeks, king prawns, garlic, peas, red chilli, and lemon zest. Washed down with plenty of prosecco, and Vacqueyras. On our own. Lovely!
Posts: 654 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We did have Christmas lunch. But it was venison, as per the last few years (occasionally in the past we have had pheasant or beef).

It came from an ordinary local butcher: lovely textured, just the right amount of flavour (not to gamey, not too bland). I larded it with streaky bacon to cook it - delicious.

I forgot to cook the red cabbage, but we had plenty of other vegetables.

[ 25. December 2015, 22:59: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

- Posted      Profile for David Goode     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
We did have Christmas lunch. But it was venison, as per the last few years (occasionally in the past we have had pheasant or beef).

It came from an ordinary local butcher: lovely textured, just the right amount of flavour (not to gamey, not too bland). I larded it with streaky bacon to cook it - delicious.

Sounds great. All round to yours next Christmas, then!

We've got two friends coming for lunch, an American Roman Catholic and a Malaysian Muslim. I'm about to get started on the prep for beef panang with water chestnuts, rice, and a nice spicy, peanuty salad.

Posts: 654 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I see we seem to have gone from unChristmas (atypical, unfestive, maybe a little bit sad) to, well, Christmas...

Inevitable, I suppose.

Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a proper unChristmas. [Smile] I stayed at home and did some drawing on an iPad app I downloaded, and I completely forgot it was Christmas day until my dad phoned me to wish me Merry Christmas and ask what I was eating. I wasn't feeling hungry, so I didn't eat till evening and just had some fruit and a salad and some toast.
Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That sounds great! A perfect Christmas in my book.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got through it without contact with the nieces and nephews and grand-nieces and grand-nephews -- who don't really know me, aren't interested in anything I am interested in, and to whom I am happy to reciprocate in kind. Their parents are wealthy, they have everything they want, and so are impossible to shop for anyway.

It was bliss!

Christmas Eve dinner at my sister's house, then church, then Christmas Day visit to my father in the nursing home -- brought him some ice cream (which he loves) and extra bowls and spoons so he could share with his table-mates in the dining room.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
UKCanuck
Shipmate
# 10780

- Posted      Profile for UKCanuck   Email UKCanuck   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't 'done' Christmas for several years. It must be at least 15 years ago that I stopped sending Christmas cards. By 10 years ago the only decoration was the Christmas tree and that went by the wayside just two or three years later.

I've spent the last 5 Christmases on my own and loved each and every minute of them. I get up when I want. I cook and eat what I want. I listen to whatever music I want. I have no telly to foist its faux brand of celebration on me.

This year I wasn't in the mood to cook on Christmas Day so I had a cheese sandwich and cooked the chicken on Boxing Day. No cooking yesterday, either. Today it's been chicken soup and oat cakes.

Ah. Peace and quiet. Books and music. Nothing better. [Smile]

--------------------
"No, the Canadian flag does not look like a giant nosebleed, so put that thought out of your mind right now." - Will & Ian Ferguson

Posts: 148 | From: Cardiff, Wales | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It sounds like bliss to me!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't really do Christmas either. Never do turkey, didn't bother with Christmas pudding, did go to church, albeit somewhat limited in choice did find a pretty walk in the afternoon. Christmas dinner was a tapas selection with salad followed by dates and nuts (mostly because I couldn't be bothered to fight my way into the hostel kitchen past the tour to cook).

[ 31. December 2015, 09:46: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016