homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Starting a new job

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Starting a new job
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just started a new job.
The thing is that it is not as easy to start a new job as I thought it might be because I had my last job for twenty two years.
The new job is in a new place, in a new area of the country, doing the same job description as before but in a very small but growing company.
I work in a technical (architectural) support role in a professional office.

Has anyone else done this? Does anyone have any advice?

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations!

I had been in my last job 16 years before I moved (and had given up hope of ever getting another).

I found adjustment surprisingly difficult. It was a completely different culture and nothing at all was familiar. Although I had wanted to move I found myself still clinging to the customs and expectations of my former workplace. I think you just have to be open-minded and make a conscious effort to be open to new ways of doing things and to meeting new people.

One of the other hard things was going from being someone who had been there a long time and knew everyone and how the place worked, to being someone who was completely new and didn't even know where the kitchenette was, let alone who to ask about this, that or the other. It's surprising how much background information you pick up without realizing it. All that had gone and had to be built up afresh.

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*peeks round corner hopefully* Nope, not yet, but hoping...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done. Yes it is hard always. I have changed jobs a lot in my time (9 years is the longest), and it is always a challenge. There are new people, new ways of doing things, people who don't understand how good you are.

How to do it? Listen, learn, be humble, make friends with the important people, be prepared to be wrong and ask. The biggest thing is, IME, to not assume that the way you have done things in the past is the right way in the new place: at the same time, bring your past skills into the new place where appropriate.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd suggest that while you should bring the skills from your former workplace you should keep to an absolute minimum referring back to them. Your new coworkers will get very tired, very fast of you saying "What we used to do when I was at XYZ plc was ........... " (or anything similar).

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe familiarize yourself with current manuals and practices?

And if the other workers are much younger than you, don't be too over-eager to imitate them.

Best of luck!

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations Geroff, and all the best for your new job.

I'd echo what Schroedinger's Cat and Sioni Sais said - by all means bring your skills and experience, but be open to new ideas and different ways of working in your new place.

Hope it all goes well. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
New ministry role in 2016.
New town. New region.
Happy. Sad. Scared. Excited.

Empathises with you!

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any warmer, Rowen?

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
I'd suggest that while you should bring the skills from your former workplace you should keep to an absolute minimum referring back to them. Your new coworkers will get very tired, very fast of you saying "What we used to do when I was at XYZ plc was ........... " (or anything similar).

That is why I said skills, not practices. So it is more "I have used ObiWanKenobi at a previous role, if that is of any help". I would only use the "We used to find our droids like this" if specifically asked, and usually only if I had written the droid search myself.

The reason is - as I always have to remind myself - that every requirement is subtly different. Even if they are phrased in the same way, there is a context that is distinct, so until it is clear that the problem spaces are similar, old solutions should only give you a head start on new problems.

Which is one reason that I am still in a job.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geroff:

Has anyone else done this? Does anyone have any advice?

Write down people's names - it's embarrassing asking twice!!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Landlubber
Shipmate
# 11055

- Posted      Profile for Landlubber   Email Landlubber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations on the job. Even though it is a small company, did you have any induction? Did you meet anyone through that who might be a good bet if you have questions about the culture or practical things? I found (new job after 30 years in one organisation, though not all in the same post) that there were big differences in the amount of responsibility/supervision I had. In some areas I was expected to get on with big things alone (scary but exhilarating) but in others I was expected to check back much more often and in detail (frustrating until I understood why). For me, the answer was to develop a relationship with my boss where I said "I'll tackle it this way and show you when I get this far through it, unless you say otherwise".

Also: remember that they liked your cv; you have much to offer. I hope you can relax and enjoy it soon.

--------------------
They that go down to the sea in ships … reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man

Posts: 383 | From: On dry land | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by Landlubber:
Also: remember that they liked your cv; you have much to offer. I hope you can relax and enjoy it soon.

Although I did discover in my current job, I had beaten someone who, at the interview, had refused to do the practical test. So it might depend on the competition for the role.....

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you everyone for your suggestions.
I think the hardest things are not about meeting people, I think I am pretty good at that, it is more about getting used to the different architectural style and the small scale of most of the jobs. I have been used to meticulous historic restoration but here I am doing much more modern work.
We are also in a new office within an old town hall and for the first 8 weeks we had no heating. So at least I am now warm and I have been able to reduce the number of chocolate biscuits I am eating. [Smile]

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Landlubber
Shipmate
# 11055

- Posted      Profile for Landlubber   Email Landlubber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No heating is an extreme test of how you fit in!

--------------------
They that go down to the sea in ships … reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man

Posts: 383 | From: On dry land | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geroff:
... at least I am now warm and I have been able to reduce the number of chocolate biscuits I am eating. [Smile]

Have you considered wearing an extra sweater? [Devil]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016