homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » So that's what it means (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: So that's what it means
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think we've had this one before. First poster gives a word, and the next has to provide a definition, and then post another word.

I shall begin withe the example Ardent

Describes my car after I backed out of the driveway and into a tree.

New word: Discombobulate

[Title edit, DT, Circus Host]

[ 17. August 2015, 18:53: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An injury usually sustained by someone boogying on down too violently. More frequently found in the 1970's, especially at Studio 54.

Supralapsarian

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
Supralapsarian

Adj. descriptive of where a cat prefers to sit (on the lap).

epigone

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
epigone - the disappearing of a small girl

Infundibular

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Infundibular
(n) Holding money in your mouth (mandible)

sasquatch

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sasquatch is a not particularly well-known plant of the gourd family which produces large fruit covered in matted fibre that looks like hair.

Cursive

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cursive - an elaborate and rather beautiful form of swearing

perissology

--------------------

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sipech: perissology
The war strategy of taking out enemy submarines by urinating down their periscopes.

Ballistics

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ballistics - the art of making linearly ordered catalogs of ovine argot.

fulminate

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An extremely ample surfacing for kitchen counters.

Supernal.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
fulminate

An expression used to beg something from someone else's lunch. "Full mine ate (can I have some of your's).

tectonic

[ 18. August 2015, 13:47: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think we've had a cross-post, so I'll go with BC's

supernal adj. describing premium quality anise-flavoured liqueur.

Now for No Prophet's tectonic

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pick-me -up for computer geeks.

taradiddle

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
taradiddle

A Gone With The Wind themed walking tour.

apoplexy

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Father's dictionary.

cockchafer

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rough nether garments

bombazine

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

bombazine - lifestyle hints and tips for the more discerning jihadi.

Miargyrite

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The belief that Britian should cease to govern the islands known as the Malvinas.

incarnadine

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Incarnadine prop. n. the lady in the sat-nav machine. Who knew she was called Nadine?

perspicacity

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A school of architecture, which aims to create entire communities from acrylic resins.

Entomology

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

entomology, n. the study of the innards of cats

prevaricate

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Prevaricate - the state of a person's legs just before varicose veins start.

Prestidigitation

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

Prestidigitation - the Calvinist method for counting on your fingers

Tessellate

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miss D'Urberville's habit of tardiness.

Embrocation

[ 20. August 2015, 10:58: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Embrocation - when someone from Edinburgh stays at home for their holidays

Metabolism

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
jrw
Shipmate
# 18045

- Posted      Profile for jrw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Metabolism - New album from Ozzy Osbourne (now descended into cannibalism).

Imbroglio

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

Imbroglio - the peculiarly specific problem of falling in love with Neighbours stars of the early 90s.

Subjunctive

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Subjunctive - decluttered stuff that can't be given to a charity shop.

Flotsam

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

subjunctive adj. the word used to describe the stuff at the very bottom of the rubbish-heap

intercalary

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Whoops - we have a cross post.

Flotsam- a fucking lot of the same bloody stuff.

Intercalary - Those wonderful foods, like chocolate, which fall into the cracks between calories, and therefore have none whatsoever.

Polyandry

--------------------

Pia
Shipmate
# 17277

- Posted      Profile for Pia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Polyandry (rhetorical device): The use of multiple and repeated conjunctions, as in the following example:

"I went to the fair, and I took my wife, and my daughter, and my sons, and my daughters-in-law, and my grandchildren, and my grandchildren's friends, and my grandchildren's friends' dog, and my grandchildren's friends' dog's ball, and it rained."

Twerk

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

twerk n a very silly person; the result of crossing a twit with a berk.

incandescent

PS Sorry for the cross-post - I posted without noticing. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Incandescent To go downwards while in a metal cylinder.

Mercurial

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

Mercurial - camper than a sequined unicorn doing a Christopher Biggins impression.

Apocalyptic

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apocalyptic the 'bleed' marks of lipstick into the puckers around the mouth of an elderly smoker

polyethylene

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Polyethylene: Diet supplement for overweight female parrots

CREPUSCULAR

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Crepuscular: body builders with so much muscle development so as to be creepy.

Refulgent

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

refulgent n. the waiter at posh wedding receptions who re-fills your glass.

Palaeolithic

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Palaeolithic

adj. describing the viewpoints of Sarah Palin.

rubescent

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
rubescent: A developmental stage in the life of redheads.

fey

[ 22. August 2015, 16:39: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
fey: an attempt at a sea journey without adequate means of propulsion, or a foray minus the oar.

pietistic

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pietistic - talented in making meals out of stodgy pastry and preserved fruit.

quantum

[ 23. August 2015, 18:23: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quantum n. the number of stomachs in any creature

boomerang

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You were telephoned by someone born between 1945 and 1965.

Lubricate

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
<interuption>
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:

PS Sorry for the cross-post - I posted without noticing. [Hot and Hormonal]

does that make you a twerk ?

</interruption>

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Very likely. [Big Grin]

Lubricate n. a small clay brick used in the construction of outdoor lavatories

syncopation

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Syncopation - sinning a little to help you cope

Discombobulation

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

Discombobulation The act of yelling 'Robin Gibb' for no apparent reason.

Corbel

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Corbel The burbling produced by a prospective Labour leader when asked to condemn the acts of terrorists [Devil]

Metathesis

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

Metathesis - verb. The past tense of meetathesis; that feeling of pride, relief and nervousness when your dissertation is printed and bound.

Cataphatic

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016