homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Ice cream (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Ice cream
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's your fancy?

This poll has been moved to another board.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I the first? [Smile]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
^ I think so, because I just voted, and when I checked the results, every category was at either 100% of equally divided between 50% and 50%.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Brazil they have these really good ice creams with local Amazon fruits that aren't on the list.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wot? No Tutti Frutti?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just returned from Paris, home of Berthillon ice cream.

Their sorbets are almost good enough to stop me missing ice cream.

Almost.

(cue the tears of a broken, lactose-intolerant heart/stomach)

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me too - lactose intolerant that is. Indian ice cream is the bestest in the world, and I blame the weasel for introducing me to the Scotsman. Before that, I obsessed on pistachio (pista)

When I mention flavours I do not mean the chemically-laden flavour so prevalent in the West, but pure flavours made with real cream. Western ice cream has these flavours too, but they are but pale imitations of Indiann ice cream.

When we go out for ice cream, I always take a handful of lactase pills and don't take my blood sugar with any seriousness for at least two days.

I am never tempted in North America. Thank goodness!

That being said, I love sorbets.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Waffle cones made on site. Ubiquitous on the Cdn prairies. Ice cream made on site, though some will not be icecream, it will frozen from other things. Typically two flavours is what I get. I had curry and saskatoon berry last time.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I ticked the "yes" box for extras, although I wasn't quite sure what was meant. What I was thinking was a Cadbury's Flake, or maybe some chocolate sprinkles.

I'm really a bit of a bore when it comes to ice-cream: given the choice (and one usually is given bazillions of choices) I nearly always go for boring old vanilla, in a tub, because I'm the messiest piglet on the planet. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a local family business called Homer's which makes the most amazing ice cream (even better than Berthillion, imho). This time of year they make a Fresh Peach ice cream which is to die for. The rest of the year, I'll get their Cappuccino Chip, a coffee ice cream with chocolate flakes in it.

When it comes to toppings, nothing beats hot fudge sauce on vanilla. With a dab of whipped cream. (Bit hold the nasty maraschino cherry.)

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Vanilla with raspberry hot fudge, and crushed macadamia nuts over the top. Called a Fox Treat here.

[ 30. August 2015, 04:29: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've not tried Blue Cheese ice cream but, provided it is not Danish Blue [yukky stuff] it sounds fab!

My current favourite is what is called, in The Plazza Ice Cream Parlour in town, a Plazza Special which is a scoop each of Vanilla, Butterscotch and Pista plus various syrups, nuts and cornflakes and a glace cherry and costs about 75 pence [UK] or $1.25 - it is fab and is enough to keep me going several days.

Yes, Keralites can spell plaza but the ice cream make is Lazza, hence the odd name.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a sample of Stilton ice cream once - it tasted like cold sweet cheese. Quite disconcerting, and not something I wanted to try again. It doesn't fit the scoop-in-a-cone on a hot summer's day image, but there might be a place for it in an upmarket restaurant as a course at the end of a meal.

Piglet - I was going to list extras as a choice but there were so many that I decided to simplify it to yes or no. It includes but isn't limited to sprinkles, flakes, chocolate, chopped nuts, raisins, caramel sauce, mint syrup, other fruit syrups, hundreds and thousands, berries, biscuit pieces, fudge sauce, honeycomb crunch, chocolate sauce, M&Ms, marshmallows...

I'd rather have my ice cream unembellished, personally.

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once tried garlic icecream... well, when you're at a garlic festival it's just one of those things you do.

The boy (currently reading over my shoulder - cheeky brat! ) suggested that cream cheese icecream might be worth a try. Thinking about it, he may be onto something there. He had orange and mascarpone the other day, which is obviously along the same lines, and he liked it, although I didn't try it as I'm not fond of orange icecream.

I'm quite a vanilla fan, though. Two scoops, one of them vanilla, and I'm a happy penguin.

[ 30. August 2015, 10:15: Message edited by: Smudgie ]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Banana Split or Knickerbocker Glory. I always forget how much I enjoy ice cream until I have one.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A properly done Banana Split is indeed a thing of wonder!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A cone with two scoops, one of coconut ice cream and one of lime sorbet. Pure heaven. [Yipee] [Angel]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My favourite icecream is coffee, ginger and walnut. I'm also quite fond of licorice flavour.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Macadamia ice cream in the Dandenongs was a real delicious treat.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Smudgie beat me to the mention of garlic ice cream. I've had that at the Gilroy garlic festival. Not really savory - just sweet and garlicky. I'm glad I tried it, but I'm in no hurry to try again.

The same day I had a glass of garlic white wine. No, thanks.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love a good homemade vanilla ice cream, but in order to be a little more healthy [Hot and Hormonal] I usually buy frozen yogurt. Black Jack Cherry. Oh, my! Dark chocolate with dark cherries. Good stuff!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The majority go for vanilla - how boring!

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
A properly done Banana Split is indeed a thing of wonder!

It certainly is. I think a banana has the perfect flavour and consistency to go with ice cream (except garlic of course).
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

quote:
Originally posted by leo:

Well, this is a Christian website!
"Vanilla, the missionary position of ice cream."

There is an ice cream called 'Purity and Danger' which you can get in Oxford named after a book by the anthropologist Mary Douglas. The book examines the possibe reasons behind the Israelites dietary laws. The ice cream was created by two of her former students.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:

What did you vote for? I think I voted for about half the flavours listed and then forgot to include Neopolitan in my responses.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

If you think vanilla ice cream is boring, you've never had good vanilla ice cream.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

If you think vanilla ice cream is boring, you've never had good vanilla ice cream.
Very, very true. It's also the only base for hot sauces, like chocolate.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're blessed with a number of outlets for very good ice cream around here. I've not long been to one for a freshly made waffle topped with pistachio and liquorice flavours, with plans to go back and try their Jaffa cake or malted milk.

I voted yes for extras, but prefer to do at home in the shape of fresh fruit, or home made crumble topping.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There used to be a really good ice cream shop in cork which did lovely flavours, one of my favourites was blood orange sorbet. Salted caramel is also yummy! Or cherry. Or just any tasty flavour. Mango sorbet is also good.

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

Very, very true. It's also the only base for hot sauces, like chocolate.
You don't need really good vanilla ice cream if you're going to put a strongly-flavored sauce on it, and of course most grocery-store vanilla ice creams (let alone that soft-serve stuff that some people so laughingly call "ice cream") aren't really good vanilla ice creams.

(Similarly it would be a waste of $50 champagne to use it in mimosas.)

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by marzipan:
There used to be a really good ice cream shop in cork which did lovely flavours, one of my favourites was blood orange sorbet. Salted caramel is also yummy! Or cherry. Or just any tasty flavour. Mango sorbet is also good.

An Italian restaurant in our little town makes a salted caramel gelato that is to die for. I was completely blown away when I first tasted it. Wow to the nth.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am in Oregon, and yesterday we had a local ice cream maker, Salt 'n' Straw's olive oil vanilla ice cream, with drinking chocolate poured over. It is clear that I should moe to Portland and live over this shop.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
provided it is not Danish Blue [yukky stuff]

Too close to Norwegian Blue?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Well yes, I suppose it would be okay if served in a bowl on the bottom of a birdcage.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

So, the average shipmate prefers to eat their ice cream as part of a meal (i.e. in a dish, which assumes you're probably sitting down to consume it). It should be vanilla, with maybe a scoop of chocolate or butterscotch, and have some kind of sprinkles or other topping on it. On no account should it be savoury.

I know someone who hates cones, but for ice cream on the move - and it always seems to taste better in the open air - you can't beat a cone while you're wandering around enjoying the scene, funfair, seaside, city, holiday, etc etc.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

I know someone who hates cones, but for ice cream on the move - and it always seems to taste better in the open air - you can't beat a cone while you're wandering around enjoying the scene, funfair, seaside, city, holiday, etc etc.

Except the flavour profile of ice cream opens up as it warms. And this is the most dangerous time to use a cone.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not especially fond of blackcurrants in other things, but intense blackcurrant ice cream is a thing most wonderful.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

...but sadly it repeats on me for hours!

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
So, the average shipmate prefers to eat their ice cream as part of a meal (i.e. in a dish, which assumes you're probably sitting down to consume it).

I don't think "sitting down to eat it" necessarily implies "part of a meal." I often sit down to enjoy nothing but a dish of ice cream, any meals having long since past and a good while into the future.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
So, the average shipmate prefers to eat their ice cream as part of a meal (i.e. in a dish, which assumes you're probably sitting down to consume it). It should be vanilla, with maybe a scoop of chocolate or butterscotch, and have some kind of sprinkles or other topping on it. On no account should it be savoury.

Cones are very convenient outdoors but the ice cream is often precariously perched on the cone, especially if one has two (or three!) scoops. The better ice cream sellers in South Wales, and we have some very good ones, thanks mostly to Italian migrants since the 1920's, use card tubs too, which is a safer compromise.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And there is nothing more entertaining that giving a very young child an ice cream cone. When she was three my daughter contrived to get ice cream all the way down to her toes.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Cones are very convenient outdoors but the ice cream is often precariously perched on the cone, especially if one has two (or three!) scoops.

Depends on the size of the cone [Biased] though I admit I've never attempted three scoops outside a restaurant. It is possible to get "twin" cones in some places.

I had an "oyster" earlier this summer, which is basically two large shell-shaped wafers filled with vanilla ice cream and at the base, white marshmallow. The "oyster" is sometimes partly dipped in chocolate and desiccated coconut. Not sure I'd have one again but it was interesting.

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In breaking ice cream news: Slow-melting ice cream ingredient discovered by scientists

quote:
The development could also allow products to be made with lower levels of saturated fat and fewer calories.
It would be three miracles in one: slower melting, lower fat, fewer calories. [Angel]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Why go for vanilla at all? I don't like vanilla anything, and can't understand its appeal. I hardly ever eat ice cream in north America, as it is usually much too sweet and somehow seems chemically tainted.

I'm getting bad at living in the past, but memories of Italian ice cream sellers in the Glasgow area and down the Clyde in the early 50s seem to get better all the time. I enjoy annoying our daughters by telling them that the last really good ice cream I bought was at a shop in Comely Bank in Edinburgh in May 1969. I'm thinking about developing into a genuine curmudgeon when I get older.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
In breaking ice cream news: Slow-melting ice cream ingredient discovered by scientists

quote:
The development could also allow products to be made with lower levels of saturated fat and fewer calories.
It would be three miracles in one: slower melting, lower fat, fewer calories. [Angel]
Yeah, because every other calorie reduction method hasn't also been a taste reduction. [Roll Eyes]
I've a simple method to reduce caloric intake of any food: Reduce intake.
Ice cream doesn't need to be low-cal. Just do not eat it all the time.
Never understood diet drinks and low cal rubbish. Just don't eat as much. I'd rather have the full fat everything less often than reduced pleasure more often.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Black Sapote ice cream at Frosty Mango in North Queensland.
They grow their own tropical fruits in an orchard behind the shop. You can get jack fruit ice cream, star fruit ice cream, dragon fruit ice cream, lychee ice cream - but my fave was the black sapote (chocolate pudding fruit) ice cream. Google it and drool.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I believe all the ice cream and biscuits and cakes and so on here are calorie and cholesterol free - it may not be scientifically proven, indeed it may not have the slightest teensiest bit of scientific verification, but it makes me feel better!

eta: but only when eaten by me! [Razz]

[ 01. September 2015, 01:47: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's been ten or fifteen years since I last had it, but there's a store in Cambridge, Mass which makes a burnt sugar ice cream; ingredients sugar, salt, milk and cream. It's wonderfully intense.

There's a lot of bad ice cream in the U.S. but there are a number of shops that make very good stuff. This time of year there's fresh fruit ice cream like peach or raspberry.

There's also more than ice cream; I haven't seen a good old-fashioned non industrial italian water ice in a long while; lemon, cherry, chocolate or watermelon. And rarely does semi-freddo appear.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Himself [occasionally] makes a staggeringly good pineapple sorbet - and a bit of lemon juice sweetens it for some reason only a chemist would understand.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sadly, I had nothing to say when I took the poll a few weeks ago. I do like caramel though. I think I'll get up and go get an ice cream bar out of the fridge...

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016