homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » It's Geek to me: Translating computereze (Page 14)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  31  32  33 

Source: (consider it) Thread: It's Geek to me: Translating computereze
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah, if WMP is required for playback it's a fail [Frown]

Part of the requirement is playback through a standard DVD player into a TV. So Powerpoint is also a fail, not to mention an absolute POS to use for a 200+ image slideshow. That's why I think it has to be something that produces a VCD.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would suggest trying the free non-commercial version of PhotoStage by NCH Software.

I haven't used that particular program, but I have used a number of other NCH products over time (before I switched to my Mac) and found that they are efficient, no-nonsense tools that get the job done every time.

It would also be worth checking to see if the TV to be used has a USB port where a flash drive or portable hard drive could be plugged in. The vast majority of modern flat screen TVs will have one included, and if you export as an MPEG-4 video you should get away without any "video cannot be played on this device" nightmares.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Snags
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks TCG, I'll check it out.

If that fails I'm half-minded to make him drop the "play on TV" request, which hugely simplifies things. Unfortunately he wants to knock one of these up and then send copies to various friends all over the place, so doing an end-user kit check is a little impractical. Most modern DVD players have slideshow stuff built in, but you can just guarantee one of his chums will have something ancient [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Snags
# 15351

PhotoStage is looking good. I've just run a test which shows promise, and have compiled some instructions for the FiL, so we shall see.

Thank you!

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am having problems with page numbering a lengthy document in Word. I have been told the first 7 pages (contents etc) have to be numbered in roman numerals i-vii and then the body numbered 1-42. I initially printed them off as two documents so the hard copy was fine. I've been asked to combine them into one document but I can't figure out how to do the page numbers; I keep ending up with the whole thing numbered 1-49, or, even worse i-il.

What do I do?

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The trick if I remember is to put a section break between the two parts of the Word document. Then you are able to get the numbering of the second part to be independent of the first part.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snags
# 15351

JJ is right. Use a next page section break between the areas, and undo the link between the footers for the sections.

Note that when printing a subset of the document you will then need to use s1p3 format and the p value refers to the page within the section, not necessarily the displayed number.

--------------------

Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Help! When I go to Twitter on my iPhone, it won't show anything - no tweets, nothing! There's a little padlock icon next to the word 'Twitter' at the top of my screen - have I locked myself out or something stupid like that?
Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You may have been locked out. Some information is here.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sarah G
Shipmate
# 11669

- Posted      Profile for Sarah G     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My Yahoo email account was hacked yesterday. This has showed itself because every email that has ever had anything to do with the account has been sent a dodgy link email using my account name (not sent from the Yahoo account itself).

I've changed its password, and I'm going through finding the emails where various organisations have emailed me a password, to reset those.

What else would be a sensible but proportionate response?

Thanks for your help.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Go to any site on which you registered using that e-mail and change the passwords there as well.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Circumventing Windows 'block images' - can it be circumvented?

I have a setting for a particular site, not to load the images. It's this one - jigidi - because I like to do a puzzle sight unseen. It used to work, but does no longer.

Anyone know why?

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did not know Windows had a 'block images.' Are certain this is not a browser issue?
Which browser are you using, Internet Explorer?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry, browser. Firefox. (The whole site doesn't work on the iPad, since it uses Flash).
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

It is a Firefox issue, I set Firefox to block images from that site and they still appeared. I set Chrome to block images from that site and it worked. Not sure why at the moment.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:
You may have been locked out. Some information is here.

Thanks lily pad, you're probably right. Can't see how to rectify it though...
Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This may end up being a little rambling.
The short summary is "What is too much for a low-end budget Tablet?"

I've just bought a Tablet. It's tiny (7') and was very cheap - £40 cheap, in fact (and that all covered by Amazon vouchers). I wanted it as an easy thing to take to the pub to get wifi while I'm away (got a job this season ) to check Teh Interweb, my emails and facebook, possibly to listen to stuff on iPlayer with headphones, but to be less annoying than typing on my little phone.

I can't find anything about it online though, except what's on amazon - the reviews on there are pretty good.Cloud 9 Neuropad Candy . I plan to get it a case, when it arrives, but is there anything I should know? Most of the techy details mean little to me - I think the screen res is pretty low, but I can live with that, I wasn't looking for high definition, just servicable.

quote:
Brand Cloud9
Manufacturer reference npc3
Color pink
Screen Size 7 inches
Processor Type 8032
Processor Speed 1.60 GHz
Processor Socket DIP
Processor Count 1
RAM Size 512 MB
Computer Memory Type DDR3 SDRAM
Hard Drive Size 4 GB
Hard Drive Interface ATA
Wireless Type 802.11bgn
Operating System Android

It says it's Jellybean, which is the latest Android OS, I think. It has a small brain, but it says it can be expanded if I need it to by stuffing a little 32GB card in some orofice or other...

What I want to know is what I can expect of it - mostly what won't it do?
I know it's cheap, so I don't expect it to be all-singing-all-dancing, but I'd like to know what's reasonable of me to expect.

Few examples, if I wanted to amend my CV, which exists as a MS Word document (and on Pages) on the elderly MacBook I don't want to risk taking away to sea with me, is that something I'd be able to do?
Would I be able to plug in a hard-drive? and would an Android tablet recognise my iTunes collection?
If I got a USB multi-way port, so I could plug a few USBs in at once, maybe a phone, a kindle, a hard-drive, an iPod, would that be too much for a bear of little brain?

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Sorry, browser. Firefox. (The whole site doesn't work on the iPad, since it uses Flash).

You have to set it to block images from jigidi.com rather than www.jigidi.com. (The reason appears to be that the images themselves are hosted at static3.jigidi.com. You can find this by poking around in the source code.)

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

- Posted      Profile for Alisdair   Email Alisdair   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
luvanddaisies,

Without diving into the technical details of the tablet your are looking at. I would suggest the simplest way of looking at it is that Android is NOT Windows. If you are happy to buy into the Googleverse: Googledocs, Gmail, etc. you will find there is a lot you can do, even with a basic tablet.

Just don't treat it as though it will let you use all the software you are familiar with in Windows, not to mention access ALL the same file formats. There is SOME overlap, but trying to use it like a portable version of your Windows PC will lead to lots of frustration---it's a completely different system.

The downside of using Google is getting 'borged' by them---you (or more accurately your data) WILL be assimilated and Google will tag and use as much data about you as it can. This isn't necessarily bad, you/we just need to be aware of what is going on---Google sells advertising and sucking up as much data as possible about 'users' that may be useful to potential customers of its commercial services is part of it's business model.

Just as Google exploit us, we can exploit Google, by thinking through what we want from them, what the risks are, and acting sensibly. Knowledge is power.

Have fun.

BTW, cheap tablets can do a lot, but often have fairly rubbish batteries, low res screens (you say this doesn't matter too much to you, and fair enough), and obviously will often be made of lower grade materials, so don't expect it to last too long before things start failing/falling apart. I've got a cheapy. It's okay, but I do grumble about it's slowness.

Posts: 334 | From: Washed up in England | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alisdair:
luvanddaisies,

Without diving into the technical details of the tablet your are looking at. I would suggest the simplest way of looking at it is that Android is NOT Windows. If you are happy to buy into the Googleverse: Googledocs, Gmail, etc. you will find there is a lot you can do, even with a basic tablet.

Thanks [Smile]

I've been assimilated into the Googleverse already - my smartphone is an Android one, and my email is gmail.

Despite that, my ideal platform is Mac - it's just too expensive though.

I'm not really expecting to ickle budget tablet like a laptop - it's only me wondering whether it's even slightly viable to think about that sort of thing using an app if I need to - like if I'm needing to poke my CV around.

Most of what I'm going to want it to do is to sit in a pub/cafe/other wifi place with me to check gmail, to look at facebook, to look at The Ship and gCaptain, to browse the web, to listen to stuff on the radio on iplayer.

I'm more wondering about the exceptions to that, when I occasionally might want to do a bit more - while hoping its battery isn't too bad, and that its build quality is enough that it survives the season!

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

- Posted      Profile for Alisdair   Email Alisdair   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
luvanddaisies,

If you do some Googling you will find there are various apps that allow you to read and edit Office documents on Android (up to a point). Some are better than others, but I don't think any of them are a complete replacement, but enough to cover the basics.

Visit: https://play.google.com/store/apps and have a browse, then look up some reviews for the various apps.

A little bluetooth/wireless keyboard can also be a very pleasant complement to a tablet, if you are likely to do a lot of typing. The on-screen keyboard can get to be a bit of a pain for longer sessions as it takes up so much screen space and doesn't have the feel of a physical k'bd, though some folk seem to get on fine.

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

Cheers.

Well, it has arrived - pretty fast service from the Amazon seller - and it looks to be just what I need.

Once I've bought it a little case, it'll be fine to live on a boat with me and be taken to random pubs or whatever for wifi, and if it gets damaged it'll be a pity, but it's not like it's an iPad or an expensive top-of-the-range thing.

If I was looking for a brilliant screen resolution or amazing speakers, or bells and whistles, it probably wouldn't have been the right thing, but for what I want it looks very good indeed - and it does look like I've got myself a very good little bargain indeed.

I'd already checked out some Office-reader/editor apps on Google Play, and it does look like they should be pretty usable even on this little thing, should I need them - which is handy.

Anyway, thanks Alisdair [Smile]

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
The most stupid thing however is that when I connect a USB stick, RealPlayer seems to think I want to play/store/edit things with it - which I don't. It is trying to act as a library manager, for which it is utterly useless. Anyone know how I can tweak this off? (I think I've turned off everything I could in the options.)

RealPlayer seems to have it in its head that it should be the deafult media player for everything, and as soon as it is presented with new files thinks "pick me, pick me, I'll hep you look at these" Can you access a "default programs" control panel and see what it says - changing it from RealPlayer if possible ?

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Do any windows victims know how I can switch settings in such a way that when I double-click on a DVD, it opens it in the program I want it to, rather than starting Windows Media Player?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Wet Kipper:
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
The most stupid thing however is that when I connect a USB stick, RealPlayer seems to think I want to play/store/edit things with it - which I don't. It is trying to act as a library manager, for which it is utterly useless. Anyone know how I can tweak this off? (I think I've turned off everything I could in the options.)

RealPlayer seems to have it in its head that it should be the deafult media player for everything, and as soon as it is presented with new files thinks "pick me, pick me, I'll hep you look at these" Can you access a "default programs" control panel and see what it says - changing it from RealPlayer if possible ?
Everything in RealPainPlayer has been turned off long ago. It goes deeper than that: it still thinks it's God. That's why I've fumbled around in the software installaton folder and removed some of its most annoying features. Only way to make it behave, apparently.

Fanks.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I uninstalled RealPlayer back in about 1994 for that very reason and have never reinstalled it since. If some website will only show me their content on RealPlayer, well, sucks to be them.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alisdair:
@ Wesley J, re VLC bookmarks.

You might like to have a look at this site: http://tinyurl.com/668smmf

The bit on bookmarks is nearly two thirds of the way down.

Excellent! Misunderestimated good ole VLC. Thank you. [Smile]

Still looking for a decent, free RealPlayer alternative for streaming. Hm...

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was taken aback to discover how many entries Realplayer had left in the Registry after I uninstalled it.

Removing those and some other references to obsolete software has meant that my pc now boots up in half the time it used to take.

ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Do any windows victims know how I can switch settings in such a way that when I double-click on a DVD, it opens it in the program I want it to, rather than starting Windows Media Player?

Try a right click and hopefully you should get an 'Open with' option that will allow you to choose a program. Downside - it's Windows that chooses the options that are available.

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

ElaineC, thanks for responding. Yeah, I can do the "open with." I was just hoping that there was some way to make the double-click use my preferred program.

[ 29. March 2013, 08:56: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You can associate a file type with a particular program but I can't remember exactly how to do it. The Control Panel comes into it somewhere I'm sure.

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Snags
# 15351

mousethief, the easiest way to do it will depend on the preferred application and on your version of windows, but ...

- some media players have a built in "Make it all mine" option that you can choose to apply (WMP, WinAmp etc. certainly do). Have a look in any Tools or Preferences section, or occasionally hiding off the File menu somewhere

- alternatively you can edit the file associations individually in the File Types dialog.

In XP open any Windows Explorer window and go to Tools > Folder Options > File Types where you can edit existing associations or create new ones.

In Vista and I think 7 (but the 7 machine is downstairs and I'm too lazy t move) you use the Default Programs option from the Start menu official go to guide here

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Thanks Snags! Frustratingly, the "program defaults" allowed me to change the auto-play program for DVDs, but not the double-click program. PowerDVD doesn't have a "take control" feature. This seems destined to elude me.

Obnoxiously, the program defaults appears to lock some things to WMP and makes them un-re-assignable. Microsoft for you.

--------------------

Snags
# 15351

I'll try to have a look on the laptop tomorrow and suss it out. It ought to be possible - I certainly have Win7 machines that don't use WMP as the default.

--------------------

Snags
# 15351

OK, this from Windows 7:

Start > Default Programs (if it doesn't show up, type "default" into the search box)

Choose "Associate a file type or protocol with a program" (you may want to look at the option above, which sounds like a blunter instrument - "Set your default programs")

Potentially wait a long time for all the file associations to load.

Find the file extension that you're looking for (.avi, .mpg etc.), double-click and associate it with PowerDVD.

I have a feeling that in Win7 you can only do the above for actual extensions, so it won't affect behaviour on 'proper' DVDs. I'm not sure you can directly edit those primitives any more (it's called progress), but if that's the case then back in "Default Programs" choose the top option "Set your default programs" then pick PowerDVD from the list, and you can either have it seize everything it can do, or you can pick from a list of options.

I believe that will do it; I haven't tested it, because this machine doesn't have an optical drive ...

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I’ve been clearing out cookies, manually, in Opera, through the Preferences -> Manage Cookies option, as there are a few that I want to keep so that I don't have to keep logging in to certain sites each time.

Deleting most of them is straightforward, just click on each individually and delete, however there are some that are resistant to this procedure. How do you get rid of cookies that won't go?

I suppose I could just delete the entire cookie4.dat file and start again but I'd be interested to know if there’s a way of getting rid of the ones that appear to be fixed and persistent.

Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

In Firefox there is an extension called BetterPrivacy which is designed specifically to deal with cookies that are hard to crumble---Flash cookies and others of that ilk. Hopefully it has an equivalent for Opera. Sorry, I can't be more helpful.
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Help needed please - my elderly PC running windows XP won't start. I get a black screen with the message: "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system 32\hal.dll." Any advice please?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snags
# 15351

Sparrow, I hope you're reasonably techie as this could get messy [Smile]

First, if you don't have recent backups, take the HDD out and put it as a slave in another box to get your data off.

Next, try this link here but do the non-destructive things first; it doesn't list them in the best order.

If the link is broken apologies, working on phone and having to remember the code.

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would second that advice, get your data copied using an external hard drive enclosure before doing anything else.

When it comes to the link given above, I would suggest ignoring steps 2-6 as they are generic advice given for all problems on many DIY troubleshooting websites like this. I would recommend going straight to step 7 - run a repair installation of Windows XP.

Running a clean installation of Windows XP and copying back your data could be an even better solution. Windows XP doesn't take care of itself and accumulates lots of crap over time, so a clean installation could give you back a good amount of the performance lost to the system being clogged up.

[ 04. May 2013, 10:01: Message edited by: the giant cheeseburger ]

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To re-echo the advice and to say that:

If you do not feel able to do that, get the techy to do it first, BEFORE he/she does anything else. Only let them try other bits of muddling around with the machine once you know your data is safe.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks everyone, one question first, is there any way I can get my documents off the hard drive WITHOUT taking the drive out and putting it in an external hard drive enclosure - e.g. by connecting it to my laptop by cable?

I have nearly everything backed up except for about the last two weeks, but I do have several recent important documents I had not got round to backing up.

Otherwise I realise it is probably new PC time, the old one is well past its sell by date.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
Thanks everyone, one question first, is there any way I can get my documents off the hard drive WITHOUT taking the drive out and putting it in an external hard drive enclosure - e.g. by connecting it to my laptop by cable?

Unfortunately the answer is no, networking to another computer requires starting up in Windows as PCs generally don't have any built-in networking capability that can run without the operating system.

Getting the HDD out of the computer should require nothing more exotic than a no2 Phillips screwdriver unless it's had security screws installed.
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
To re-echo the advice and to say that:

If you do not feel able to do that, get the techy to do it first, BEFORE he/she does anything else. Only let them try other bits of muddling around with the machine once you know your data is safe.

Jengie

Be very specific to ask for data to be copied directly and not copied to an image, and be prepared to call their bluff and walk away to another provider if they refuse. Copying to an image file will usually mean that it's not accessible unless you use whichever proprietary disk image format they are using.

[ 04. May 2013, 12:48: Message edited by: the giant cheeseburger ]

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No one has mentioned other options that might be available:

1. Have you tried booting in safe mode?

2. Have you tried booting from a bootable CD or thumb drive?

3. If either of the above works, you might be able to copy the missing or damaged files from a known good source to your hard drive, and that might fix the problem.

4. If 1 or 2 works but 3 fails, you might be able to copy off your data anyway.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
FWIW, I once managed to get files off a nearly-dead Windows system using a USB stick loaded with the Linux distro Knoppix, which will run from an external drive and therefore doesn't require any scary partitioning / virtualising.

You have to 1.) create a live USB of Knoppix using someone else's computer (I've forgotten how you do that but the Internet will probably tell you) - 2.) persuade your computer to boot from the USB drive instead of the hard drive - 3.) spend some time working out how Linux works.

[ 06. May 2013, 08:58: Message edited by: Ricardus ]

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a problem. I'm still running Windows Vista on my laptop. A recent automatic update tried to update my SiS Mirage 3 graphics card with a new driver, and failed. My repeated efforts to install the driver manually also fail: the driver downloads, but won't install. The result is that hardware acceleration is now switched off: videos are slow and jerky.

Any ideas, folks?

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
I have a problem. I'm still running Windows Vista on my laptop.

This is as much of the problem as you need to describe and the solution is the same: upgrade to Windows 7.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

@Sparrow -- I second Ricardus' idea re salvaging files off a hard drive using a Linux 'Live-disk'

Using a USB stick can be tricky though if your computer isn't already set up to boot off one. If you want to avoid fiddling with BIOS settings, and you're willing to give the Linux Live-disk method a go---and it should be pretty straightforward---then you need to download a copy of Knoppix and then make a CD or DVD of the image that you download. This isn't a 'copy' you actually have to choose the 'burn image' option in your CD burning software.

Once you've got that done put the CD/DVD in your computer's drive, boot the computer and all being well it will boot into the Knoppix system. Find the file browser, navigate to your files, and copy them over to a USB stick or USB hard drive.

If this seems all too technical then you may need to enlist the help of someone you know who feels able to do it, but it isn't major technical stuff and is very doable by anyone reasonably at home with a PC and its ways.

Good luck.

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How can I print from Widows Mail which comes with Windows 8?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
How can I print from Widows Mail which comes with Windows 8?

Would that be Windows Mail? Though you may have just found a market niche!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  31  32  33 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016