homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » It's Geek to me: Translating computereze (Page 15)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  31  32  33 

Source: (consider it) Thread: It's Geek to me: Translating computereze
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yup. Well spotted.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
How can I print from Windows Mail which comes with Windows 8?

Above balaam's as of yet unanswered query again, my punning having made his reply go to the top of the next page. Apologies.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's OK, I've found it by pratting around.

Swipe up from bottom of touch screen - Right click if mouse or keyboard is connected.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
I have a problem. I'm still running Windows Vista on my laptop.

This is as much of the problem as you need to describe and the solution is the same: upgrade to Windows 7.
I have Windows Vista Home Premium which came with my Toshiba Satellite laptop. I've never had any problems with it but have started thinking I ought to upgrade. I think maybe it would be better to upgrade to Windows 7 and not leap into Windows 8. My laptop is a few years old now (I can't remember when I bought it but the earliest programme dates are sept 2008.) Windows 8 seems to be more for computers with touch screens and all the latest stuff like that.

As I don't have any problems is there any benefit to upgrading and if so should I upgrade to 7 or 8?

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

- Posted      Profile for Alisdair   Email Alisdair   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wait for 8.1 and upgrade to that. MS have allegedly listened to user's howls of pain and are reinstating some much missed features from W7.

Putting the interface issues to one side, W8 itself is reputedly more power and memory efficient than 7, and with better security. 8.1 should allow you to more or less ignore the `touch screen' features, rather than having them shoved down your throat.

Posts: 334 | From: Washed up in England | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you ken and Alisdair, that is very helpful.
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does anyone know if you can block on Facebook things which are coming from Twitter ? Someone I know has started putting to Facebook all their Twitter activity which consists of repeating large numbers of posts of well known people. I don't want to remove this person as a friend if I can avoid it but I don't want all this clutter to scroll through to see if any friend has actually put something about themselves.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Socialfixer (socialfixer.com) is very good at that. Though some recent fix has completely broken socialfixer for Chrome, unfortunately.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alisdair:
Wait for 8.1 and upgrade to that.

I agree, you don't want to be an early adopter with a new version of Windows. The worst possible outcome did happen to Vista early adopters, M$ decided to make the service pack a paid update and called it Windows 7.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by moonlitdoor:
Does anyone know if you can block on Facebook things which are coming from Twitter ? Someone I know has started putting to Facebook all their Twitter activity which consists of repeating large numbers of posts of well known people. I don't want to remove this person as a friend if I can avoid it but I don't want all this clutter to scroll through to see if any friend has actually put something about themselves.

I have several friends who used to do that and have now disconnected their Twitter feed from Facebook as they have realised that there are two different audiences so it may just be a matter of time.

Anyhow, to change it, go to your profile and then to your friends list, find the name of the friend that you wish to make changes for and hover over the icon marked "Friends" that is just beside their name - it has a check mark beside it. That will give you the choice of showing the posts they make in your Newsfeed or not, or go to settings and select from "all posts", "most", or "only important"

[ 21. May 2013, 11:16: Message edited by: lily pad ]

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Indeed. The last thing I want from some people is the mental diarrhoea that makes up their Twatter output.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Could someone help me figure out how to save/back up things from one computer and move them to another computer that is, as yet, not bought and may not be before I have to give up the first? PM would be even better so I could explain more.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Big external HDD.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My daughter has just got a laptop running Windows 8, basically because this is all you can get in a hurry off the shelf here.

Experience and a cursory look round the web suggests that due to an argument between Microsoft and Google, you can't get proper Gmail functionality, only the "html lite" version (using Firefox).

Has anyone found a workaround to this?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:
Could someone help me figure out how to save/back up things from one computer and move them to another computer that is, as yet, not bought and may not be before I have to give up the first? PM would be even better so I could explain more.

Dropbox might be worth investigating depending on how much stuff you have to back up and how long it needs to be kept in limbo.

(You get a few gigabytes of storage for free and you can boost it with various bonus activities, but after a certain point if you want more gigabytes you have to pay a monthly or yearly fee, which by its nature can work out quite expensive over the long run.)

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:

I've just done this! And I am not very skilled.

I used Dropbox for word/spreadsheet files. The free storage wouldn't accommodate my photos as well so I used a USB stick (flash drive??) but you could just upload all photos to flickr who now have unlimited free storage. Then they will all be there waiting for you. You can make them private. You can also use a stick for the Office Docs if you have too many for the free dropbox. But you could also pay for the extra dropbox storage while you need it then downgrade later.

My music and audio books were on itunes and I made sure my ipod was up to date. ebooks were on Kindle anyway. But again Dropbox and a flash drive are your friends.

You need to make sure you have the product licence keys and any other necessary reinstall information to reinstall any paid for software programmes.

I had those in my webmail IT folder, so they are always accessible from everywhere on any computer but you could store them in a document in your dropbox or flash drive.

I don't have any films or suchlike downloaded so I don't know about those but probably some form of external or cloud storage is best.

I did look at some free cloud storage facilities, just google free cloud storage for information but didn't need that so far. I am thinking about it for the next phase in my personal technology upgrade programme.

I think that's all. It has worked for me. PM me if you want to.

Good luck, I have found it all fairly painless.

[ 22. May 2013, 13:19: Message edited by: Thyme ]

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Experience and a cursory look round the web suggests that due to an argument between Microsoft and Google, you can't get proper Gmail functionality, only the "html lite" version (using Firefox).

Try Chrome. Or Opera.

Or use the Thunderbird mail client (though that will mean you don'tt directly see the gmail web page)

[ 22. May 2013, 14:39: Message edited by: ken ]

--------------------
Ken

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

Unless what you are worried about is losing ActiveSync? Can still use Gmail without it from the Google web page, what you can't do is use Windows Mail client and have Google as its mail store (well youi can but you need to manually sync your contacts, which isn' hard, and to use IMAP to read your mail, which is OK too...)

--------------------
Ken

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Big external HDD.

This. I've got a 1TB Western Digital external HD. You power it up, plug it in via a USB cable, and copy whatever the hell you want. Keep it simple and copy 'my documents', 'my music' and 'my pictures' en masse. With 1TB, you shouldn't run out.

Get the new computer, plug it in and copy the files back. It's really simple, and there's no mucking around with slow upload speeds.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

Thanks everyone. I will try my best!

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Okay, we may have been here before, but I can't find it ...

after the kids have played on my computer the US / UK keyboard layout swaps, so " becomes @ and £ becomes .... oh I don't know, a pounds symbol.

googling is unhelpful as all findings elate to Windows 7 and earlier and I have the horrible new one which I think is 8

Anyone know how to get my " where my @ should be?

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(wait - that was a pound symbol ... £ needs to be a hash tag ... i.e. above the 3 [Ultra confused] [Ultra confused] [Ultra confused]

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Could this help? Link.

For more, search keywords are 'change keyboard layout Windows 8'.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Yeah, I found that, but "Win + R" didn't bring up that window thing or the options described there .. that's about when I decided to flee to heaven for further help!

Thanks for trying

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Thanks again ... "WINKEY + SPACEBAR - Switch input language and keyboard layout" worked even though the WINKEY + R brought up the wrong thing. Your combination in the search engine worked, though, further down the list if that makes sense.

Somehow now I've got to remember that, as the kids clearly hit that combo often when gaming. [brick wall]

--------------------

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Big external HDD.

... on a NAS connected to your network.
Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
I think I'm right in saying that there was a tech support thread on here a while back. I did a search and couldn't find it, so I hope it's ok if I start a new one.

I have a problem with expired certificates for google with the result that I can't log into blogger, can't access my email and can't perform a google search (I'm on a MAC). Now I did manage to get some information that said I could change the date and time on my computer and it would all be ok. Tried that and it didn't work. Now when it comes to computers I am not the greatest person at sorting stuff like this out, but if anyone can proffer any help it would be hugely appreciated - just make it real easy to follow. Pretend I'm five or something and need step by step, simple instruction.
Ta.

(Copied over by Ariel, Heaven Host)
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ok

so my laptop has dodgy charger socket that may or may not connect, the fan makes too much noise as if preparing to die - and get overheated cut outs regularly, whilst some keys need a bit more encouragement to work...

I face the laptop shopping hell...

What do I need to know/ask etc?

I use it for work, it is my only computer, watch lots of web tv streaming, no gaming, and need to play dvds and output via projector.

Where is the starting line?

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[BUMP]

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Avila

The general buying advice by the University of Sheffield should give you a minimum spec.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anyone any advice on 'expired certificates'?

--------------------
Staretz Silouan

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
Anyone any advice on 'expired certificates'?

What version of OSX are you on (found under Apple menu > About This Mac) and what browser (Safari, Firefox, Internet Exploder etc) are you using?

I can give you a bit of a hand but only if you help me help you by giving me more detail on the problem.

ETA: Also, what version of said browser are you using? You'll find this under the program menu one to the right of the Apple menu, under About <your browser>.

[ 15. June 2013, 01:29: Message edited by: the giant cheeseburger ]

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

Thanks.
I am on a MAC Os X 10.8.3, 2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo and the firefox version I am running is 21.0
It's now beginning to effect other things too - like I can't watch anything on youtube anymore. I also have Safari, but I rarely use it, but it also has the same issue anyway.

--------------------
Staretz Silouan

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

You've got an old 24" first-generation aluminium iMac right? Good computers, let down only by the average graphics card.

YouTube is operated by Google, so any time you have problems with Google you will have problems with YouTube. Certificates are handled by the operating system, so they should affect all browsers, except for Chrome which has had problems in the past over and above any OSX issues.

Can you try four things?

1. Open the Parental Controls panel in System Preferences, and check that it is turned off for the current user account. I don't want to question your intelligence, but this only takes a minute to check just in case you did this accidentally.

2. Download the Apple Root Certificates from http://www.apple.com/certificateauthority/ (first two items in list, hit the "Download certificate" link for both) and double-click them once they've downloaded to import them into the Keychain. Then restart and see if it works now.

3. If that doesn't work, open Keychain Access and select "Certificates" from the bottom-left panel. If any of them show an expiry date before the current date, right-click on them and select "Export <certificatename>" to save it as a .cer file somewhere like your Documents folder. Then once exported, select the certificate in the list and hit the delete button on your keyboard, then confirming when you get the "are you sure" box. Then restart your computer and give it another shot.

4. If that still doesn't work, check that the computer's time and date are correct, then shut down your computer overnight and turn it on again. If the time and date are now incorrect, you have a faulty internal CMOS battery which will need to be replaced - an expensive internal repair job for a computer well out of warranty. Having an impossible date does conflict with internet security certificates which do have a starting date as well as an expiry date.

If none of these work, you'll probably only be able to solve it by doing an OSX reinstall. I can't reliably instruct you on the process for this as I haven't had any experience using the newer OSX Recovery routines on a machine that was upgraded after shipping with an older version of OSX that used a DVD installer.

--------------------

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

Thanks.
I can get into keychain and see the expired certificates which I can export ok, but I can't delete them.

--------------------
Staretz Silouan

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

After a bit more hunting around - try going to http://pki.google.com/index.html and clicking the link to download GoogleInternetAuthority.crt on the left hand side. Open it (should open up Keychain Access), restart your computer and give a Google site a shot.

--------------------

moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm considering starting a website with a bulletin board format similar to this place.

I've researched various software products (the short list is MyBB and PhpBB) but recognize some of you lot know much more than I do and would very much appreciate any thoughts on the topic. In case it's not obvious [Help] I in no way resemble a computer savvy individual.

Thanks in advance.

[Not similar in content... who could compete with the Ship?]

[ 18. June 2013, 13:03: Message edited by: moron ]

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm not familiar with MyBB, but wouldn't hesitate to recommend phpBB to anyone. I've been working with it for about 7 years and it's a very good system. Their forums offer great support too.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm active on another site that uses Invision. I like it, but have never been on the admin side of the house there.

http://www.invisionpower.com/apps/board/

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's been a while since I was admin for an Invision site (about 5 years I think). It was OK, but I would rather have phpBB any day - in fact we changed that board to phpBB. I don't think Invision is free either.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

quote:
Originally posted by moron:
I'm considering starting a website with a bulletin board format similar to this place.

I've researched various software products (the short list is MyBB and PhpBB) but recognize some of you lot know much more than I do and would very much appreciate any thoughts on the topic. In case it's not obvious [Help] I in no way resemble a computer savvy individual.

Thanks in advance.

[Not similar in content... who could compete with the Ship?]

I'm just a bit further on in a similar situation. I went for Proboards

The main reasons, free, and include web hosting so you don't have to faff around with that, I belong to another site which seems to work well,and they have just upgraded, which also seemed to go well. They have mobile apps for iphone and android.

The support seemed good and geared to the non-computer savvy - reasonably plain English.

So far so good. There was a bit of a learning curve, but the support forum is really helpful. I would recommend it.

You can set up a free board just to practice on - and I have done this. So this is like a free trial.

My second choice would be phpbb.

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So, I'm currently nearing the end of my thumb-twiddling period in between finishing seminary and starting at my first parish. I picked up a few projects during that time, some work-related, some fun hobbies. One was to teach myself Python using Codeacademy. I found it a fun language to code in, and I've been enjoying working a few problems from Project Euler on the Codeacademy sandbox. However, I've soon discovered that that sandbox is *slow*. I know Python isn't famed for its speed, but a few times I've been wondering how to possibly speed up my code only to find out with some googling that my algorithm is fine, it's just taking forever because I'm running it through a browser.

So, what software can I get that will allow me to write and run Python code on my pc? I'm looking for a pretty user-friendly gui, like that sandbox. This site has a somewhat bewildering array of things that may or may not be that. Any suggestions?

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

I've got an issue with my desktop soundcard, Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM), ordered with my trusty DELL in summer 2005. It's WinXP Pro SP3.

A few weeks ago, crackling sounds like static noises started to appear. It is not a matter of the speakers or headphones, but highly likely of the soundcard. I've installed the latest drivers, but the crackling, which starts a few few minutes after I turn the machine on, just isn't going away. When I turn off the card in the device manager, all the sounds go, but so does the crackling.

I've cleaned the interior of the puter, and shall do so again with a new can of compressed air. I guess I may also try to physically remove and reinstall the card. (I've been wondering if it sits somewhat too close to new graphics card and if there could be interferences.)

Any suggestions? There are a few comments on similar problems online, but no clear solutions, from what I see. Or is it time to cough up for a new soundcard?

Thanks.

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

I would think that eight years is an acceptable run for a sound card installed in a Dell desktop. It could be that you've compromised the airflow inside the case by installing a new graphics card with a different profile to the old one, in which case re-cleaning won't solve the problem.

The bigger question you should be asking is whether purchasing a new sound card for an eight year old computer would be throwing good money after bad. Dell desktops don't last forever and Windows XP is already starting to become obsolete even ahead of Microsoft's official end of support next year, so perhaps you should consider putting up with it for a little while and putting the money you would spend on a sound card aside as the start of saving for a new machine.

[ 22. June 2013, 05:24: Message edited by: the giant cheeseburger ]

--------------------

The Machine Elf

Irregular polytope
# 1622

- Posted      Profile for The Machine Elf   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hart, code academy is running python 2.7.2, so install the appropriate install for 2.7 your OS, probably the Python 2.7.5 Windows Installer.

If you run that in the command prompt, you can get a similar interactive experience to the one Codeacademy labs looks like giving.

You will eventually want a text editor so you can save longer programs in files and work on them in a more structured manner. I use SciTE, which is fairly light and fast, but if you ask a dozen programmers which editor to use you get a dozen different answers. I'd heartily recommend stackoverflow for asking further questions.

(I'm not primarily a python programmer)

TME

--------------------
Elves of any kind are strange folk.

Posts: 1298 | From: the edge of the deep green sea | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Peeking back into this thread with a possibly slightly odd question looking for recommendations for software. I'll try to keep it short, but a little description might tell you what I'm looking for...

I want to make a timeline . It's not really for anything other than for my own amusement and learning, although i might have one or two friends who might like to see it too, and I'd like it to be an ongoing project as I learn more. I'm interested in sailing vessels and their history (especially, but not exclusively, the " Age of Sail "). I'd like also to include more modern sailing vessels too (like modern sail-training ships). I'd like it to have a stream for ships, a stream for people (like Grace O'Malley, Cochrane, Admiral Duncan, Nelson, whoever), a stream for world events, so I can put things into context (we didn't do history at my secondary school - I know, I know, it's weird, but it's left me trying to mend an impoverished view of context, chronology and continuity through time), and a stream for fictional characters too (I'm rather fond of historical naval fiction, and it would be nice to see what is meant to tie in with what, or not...)
I want to include quotes, pictures, links (both to external sites and within the timeline), and to be able to browse it. Because I intend it to be an ongoing project for learning from me, I'd like it to be easy to use and fairly pretty as well as clear.
Not asking much, eh?

I'd like it to be held online, so I can edit it from either my laptop (an elderly MacBook, from whenever the original 13.5 inch ones came out) which is slowing to snail pace now, but still staggering bravely on. ( Currently running Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a) ), or from my android phone or very-cheap-android-tablet.
I'd also quite like to be able to keep a version on my laptop (or, even on my tablet, for when I'm on a ship and don't have wifi although that's not essential).

I've googled timeline creators, and there are quite a few of them, and I just don't really know where to begin on choosing one. Money is a big issue for me, so free is preferable (or veryvery cheap!). I can live with adverts.

I'm also quite interested to see if anyone here has created a timeline for something, and what, why you made it, what it looks like, how you use it, how it develops - but that might be another thread..?

Anyway, any and all ideas, suggestions and recommendations would be helpful.
Thanks [Smile]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:
...learning from me...

Gah - preview post twice and still failed [Frown] .
"learning for me".
I am a muppet.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Machine Elf:
Hart, code academy is running python 2.7.2, so install the appropriate install for 2.7 your OS, probably the Python 2.7.5 Windows Installer.

If you run that in the command prompt, you can get a similar interactive experience to the one Codeacademy labs looks like giving.

You will eventually want a text editor so you can save longer programs in files and work on them in a more structured manner. I use SciTE, which is fairly light and fast, but if you ask a dozen programmers which editor to use you get a dozen different answers. I'd heartily recommend stackoverflow for asking further questions.

(I'm not primarily a python programmer)

TME

Thanks, I went with PyScripter and it's working well for me. I'd come across stackoverflow when googling a few other questions, at some point maybe I'll post!

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Text-to-speech -- I want something that can read ebooks, also PDF and Word documents.

It seems oh-so-simple: get a Kindle, read the book out loud. Or Install text-to-speech software on your PC (e.g. NVDA), read everything out loud.

But not so fast. Everything resides in the details: not all Kindles support text-to-Speech (and I'm sorting through the strangely not-quite consistent information about that). NVDA on a Word document seems to only read a bit at a time and then stop (what am I doing wrong)? Kindle App with Accessibility Plugin for PC works very nicely, but Kindle for PC can only see Kindle books, not documents that you can send to your other Kindle devices, because for some reason you can't send documents to Kindle for PC.

Not sure if Kindle For Cloud Reader can do text-to-speech. Or other devices e.g. smartphone or tablet computer (iPhone and iPad in my situation). Or if Mac can do it.

So then I reflect on the Nook and epub open format. Nook apparently doesn't do Text To Speech. But epub is an open format, so I ought to be able to find information on how to text-to-speech it. Alas, at that point my google-fu collapsed from sheer exhaustion, and I came to take refuge here at the Ship appealing to the good and well-informed nature of fellow Shippies.

Plus what to do about a book that doesn't even come in an electronic format? Is there anyway to read it? What do colleges and universities do for their students who need this sort of reading assistance?

This actually isn't for me, it's for others in my EfM group who need texts read for them.

Any help you can provide would be fantastic!

[ 24. June 2013, 19:15: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  31  32  33 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016