homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » It's Geek to me: Translating computereze (Page 16)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  31  32  33 

Source: (consider it) Thread: It's Geek to me: Translating computereze
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by the giant cheeseburger:
I would think that eight years is an acceptable run for a sound card installed in a Dell desktop. It could be that you've compromised the airflow inside the case by installing a new graphics card with a different profile to the old one, in which case re-cleaning won't solve the problem.

The bigger question you should be asking is whether purchasing a new sound card for an eight year old computer would be throwing good money after bad. Dell desktops don't last forever and Windows XP is already starting to become obsolete even ahead of Microsoft's official end of support next year, so perhaps you should consider putting up with it for a little while and putting the money you would spend on a sound card aside as the start of saving for a new machine.

Thank you, TGC.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
[...] Plus what to do about a book that doesn't even come in an electronic format? Is there anyway to read it? What do colleges and universities do for their students who need this sort of reading assistance?

This actually isn't for me, it's for others in my EfM group who need texts read for them.

Any help you can provide would be fantastic!

For my Open University studies, when getting tired, I've often used Adobe Reader's built-in reading-aloud programme, together with a screenreader voice that comes with Windows XP/7. I've even recorded entire pdf books for myself with this and Audacity recording software (link), saved them as mp3 and put them on a laptop or mp3-player or even smartphone.

Luckily, the Open University (link) are very good at support. I know you can get screen-readable pdfs for material that normally isn't in electronic form. They also provide searchable (audio-)CDs, so-called DAISY Talking Books, with coursebook and other texts read aloud by people or synthetic voices. More details from the OU here.

This from own experience. - I think BTW that such extra support also benefits others, as some people may have a learning style very much based on listening, so it'll help those too.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Autenrieth Road

I have replied in pm.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh dear... We tried, a couple of days ago, to install some freeware called Freecorder to download YouTube video. We had previously (on our last computer) used it with no problems but this time it came with a train of unwanted software.

We've got rid of most of it but something called "Strongvault online backup" has installed. I'm not sure whether it is a real nasty or just scareware but it keeps trying to tell us it is backing our data up online. We have - always - up-to-date antivirus software and I've also scanned with Windows Defender but I can't find anything to uninstall or delete. We are using Windows 7.

Any suggestions, please?

BG

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

- Posted      Profile for Morlader         Edit/delete post 
You might try
http://www.wintips.org/remove-strongvault-online-backup/

No guarantees. And be careful not to install anything while uninstalling strongvault !

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Posts: 858 | From: Not England | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I use Firefox and the DownloadHelper extension. It's really very good.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No particular question, just that with the arrival of the new laptop I am encountering severe Windows 8 trauma!!

I am hiding in the desk top setting but unable to do things I could before - like explorer opening a new window so can have iplayer running alongside ship reading etc.

I am a technological luddite - I always like the version before the current one!

Twitching in the corner....

Avila

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
I use Firefox and the DownloadHelper extension. It's really very good.

You can also use www.keepvid.com which works in all major browsers, only requires you have Java installed, and offers a number of different formats in a far easier interface - I used to prefer DownloadHelper until KeepVid made some major improvements.

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Thank you, TGC.

Just out of curiosity, what did you decide in the end?

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wesley J and SusanDoris, thank you for your replies.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wes, inspect the jack on the soundcard where you plug in your headphones/speaker. If it's cracked, it will create static as the connection between the card and the headphones will be unstable.

An old trick from when dinosaurs played Pac-Man was to clean the metal contacts on the bottom of the card with a pencil eraser before re-inserting it to the motherboard. It cleans off any oxidation.

An alternative to a new soundcard would be to pick up some USB headphones. Those have their own soundcard built in so they would easily transfer to a new computer when it's time to get one. The downside is that you can't use external speakers with them.

[ 26. June 2013, 18:12: Message edited by: monkeylizard ]

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Morlader:
You might try
http://www.wintips.org/remove-strongvault-online-backup/

No guarantees. And be careful not to install anything while uninstalling strongvault !

Thank you so much! That thing was a damned nuisance.

BG

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Happy Wes!

On the old Ancient Geek thread of fame, one of my first posts was about the Logitech G15 (v1) keyboard I'd got then, actually in November 2006. I've even found the invoice again! - My desktop life had changed forever with this chunky, very comfy keyboard and its shedloads of features. Melurves it!

Now, nearly 7 years later, it's still very much useable, but may need an overhaul: the backlight LEDs have dimmed down considerably over time. I may want to take it apart at some point. (A known issue others have successfully dealt with.)

You'll imagine my surprise when I saw the very same, still highly acclaimed keyboard, brandnew (!), in its original box, and tested, on an online auction site! And now I'm the proud owner of that geeky toy, which at £33/$50 cost me just 1/3 of what I paid back then. It's in absolute mint condition: the previous owner works for Logitech and got it aeons ago for free (or very cheap) and never used it! - Just amazing!

For a new, similar gaming keyboard of the latest generation you'd cough up lots more. And with full Win7 and Win8 support from Logitech, it's bound to be quite handy for a while! [Yipee]

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
Originally posted by monkeylizard:
Wes, inspect the jack on the soundcard where you plug in your headphones/speaker. If it's cracked, it will create static as the connection between the card and the headphones will be unstable.

An old trick from when dinosaurs played Pac-Man was to clean the metal contacts on the bottom of the card with a pencil eraser before re-inserting it to the motherboard. It cleans off any oxidation. [...]

Thank you, ML and TGC!

Here's what I did:
  • Opened the machine, removed the soundcard (PCI), copiously cleaned it with canned air as I did with the puter innards, carefully vaccuuming off the (small amount - I do clean!) dusty fluff (or fluffy dust? Hmm!) that came up
  • Cleaned the soundcard contacts with a pencil eraser, as suggested
  • Noticed that the new graphics card is in the top, PCI express slot, not one of the 2 PCIs, like I had thought
  • Found that the bottom PCI slot was occuppied by that silly analogue phone modem I'd never used anyway, and thus removed this
  • Re-inserted the soundcard not into the PCI slot next to the graphics card, but into the now free bottom one
  • et voilà.

What can I say - all crackle and pop and static noise has gone! I've had the machine on, and with various loads, for several hours. All perfect. And I think my trusty DELL deskie sounds somewhat happier now, with graphics and sound card further apart, and more room for air and ventilation.

Thus: thank you muchly for your advice and thumbs up. The machine might even make it into Win7 or Win8 times, as in theory most stuff is compatible (M$ dixit). And why chuck it away if it works.

Happy Wes again!

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, my last problem, back in May, sorted itself out. It does look like my graphics driver problem was caused by a Windows update - because the next Windows update cured it!

Here's a new one. I want to burn an opera to audio CD - bought from Amazon MP3 downloads, so perfectly legitimate. Unfortunately the version of Windows Media Player I've got (yes, still Vista) puts a 2-second gap between tracks when it's burning CDs, and you can't change that.

Is there any good and preferably free CD burning software out there in Internetland?

Just to be clear - I want to make an audio CD, with no gaps between tracks, so that I can play it on a good old fashioned CD player.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Try ExpressBurn.

iTunes will also get the job done if you have that installed as well as WMP, but be sure to select "none" from the drop menu for gaps between tracks.

ETA: don't believe any of the commonly received myths that iTunes only handles audio files from the iTunes Store - it happily imports CDs and most audio file formats.

[ 01. July 2013, 18:02: Message edited by: the giant cheeseburger ]

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you, cheeseburger, I'll have a go at that later.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would like to print a specific set of e-mails to file - there are thousands of them.

I can access them either on my Rackspace webmail or on Thunderbird.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I could do this?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am computer-illiterate, and I have a problem.

My monitor frequently does not scroll properly. Is the problem in the monitor? It's about eight years old, while the computer itself is less than three years old. Is it time for a new one?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I found a very helpful "place" called TechTerms.com

Most of you already know all this stuff, but I couldn't be the only one who winces when the puter terms & abbreviations start flying. I just pretend I know what they are talking about.

I found it when googling "metadata", looking for a definition. This is a great site IMO ! It even has a daily quiz question.

Pearlie

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
I am computer-illiterate, and I have a problem.

My monitor frequently does not scroll properly. Is the problem in the monitor? It's about eight years old, while the computer itself is less than three years old. Is it time for a new one?

Moo

I can't see any way it's the monitor. It's much more likely to be your mouse or keyboard (does scrolling using the arrow keys work?). But to be absolutely sure, beg borrow or steal another monitor, plug it in and see what happens.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You might be hitting the 'Scroll Lock' key by accident.

It's probably above the number pad on your keyboard. It often has a light associated with to show when scrolling is locked.

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
I would like to print a specific set of e-mails to file - there are thousands of them.

I can access them either on my Rackspace webmail or on Thunderbird.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I could do this?

This Thunderbird add-on claims to be your answer...

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
My monitor frequently does not scroll properly. Moo

I had this problem on my old laptop. It turned out to be a driver problem. I used a thing called Hardware Helper which checks and updates all your drivers and that sorted it.

And thanks PearlB4Swine - I have bookmarked that site.

[ 03. July 2013, 15:25: Message edited by: Thyme ]

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
MOO -- I recently wore out the scroll wheel on my mouse. It was probably corroded by mayonnaise or cheese, etc.

I got a new cordless mouse, and now I scroll great.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:

Thanks, that looks promising. I wonder if I should try it out on the 2891 e-mails in question straight off or go for a smaller sample first? Decisions, decisions...

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have the same problem whether I use my keyboard or my cordless mouse. I suspect it may be a driver problem.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I use Jetico's BestCrypt to encrypt sensitive files, I am now thinking of getting myself a 7" tablet, probably running on Android Ice Cream Sandwich [4.0.4?] does anyone know if my BestCrypt Traveller will work on Android?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:

Thanks, that looks promising. I wonder if I should try it out on the 2891 e-mails in question straight off or go for a smaller sample first? Decisions, decisions...
I would always try something like that on a smaller sample first, just to get a near-instant clue of whether it is up to the task at hand.

Are you on a Mac? You might be able to use Automator to get the job done in Thunderbird or OSX Mail with the OSX print dialog's built-in PDF exporter.

[ 04. July 2013, 07:21: Message edited by: the giant cheeseburger ]

--------------------

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
HELP! I am trying to create labels from an online database in Open Office.

I have managed to get the labels into a doc via a spreadsheet which I have registered as a database in OO. but there are three fields for the address and some people only use one or two of them, and the system is leaving spaces where the blank fields are when it prints out the label sheets.

I can't work out how to make it ignore the empty fields.

My process is, copy the db (which is in a csv format online), save it in OO writer. Open it as a spreadsheet and save. Register the spreadsheet as a database. Open a new doc and select labels then follow the instructions.

I found a helpful video which got me thus far but can't find anything that tells me how get rid of the empty fields.

Any thoughts anyone?

[ 07. July 2013, 20:04: Message edited by: Thyme ]

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Originally posted by Thyme:
HELP! I am trying to create labels from an online database in Open Office.

<snip>

Any thoughts anyone?

This might help.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

Thank you! I tried the OO support forums etc when I started but found it really difficult to navigate to the information I wanted.

Thank you so much.

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have had to reinstall my operating system following a computer meltdown, and of course I lost all my settings. I am now having a problem finding the right setting for my widescreen monitor, at present everything appears stretched across the screen so for example, circles look like ovals. Can anyone tell me what the correct resolution should be?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
I have had to reinstall my operating system following a computer meltdown, and of course I lost all my settings. I am now having a problem finding the right setting for my widescreen monitor, at present everything appears stretched across the screen so for example, circles look like ovals. Can anyone tell me what the correct resolution should be?

The native resolution of your monitor might be the largest one in the list if the monitor's drivers are installed (a good thing to do, it gives you better colour calibration than a default driver), but if it isn't try doing a search on the internet for your monitor's manufacturer and model number to find the specifications.

Common widescreen monitor native resolutions include 1280x720, 1280x800, 1600x900, 1680x1050, 1920x1080, and 1920x1200.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm on 1440 x 900.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sparrow,
As TGC suggests, the manufacturer should be able to supply that information and the native drivers for your system. Should you not know the model, this site can tell you then info by scanning your computer.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks everyone, I seem to have found a better screen resolution and it looks a whole lot better!

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Anyone on board using a decent pdf merger/splitter, possibly freeware? What's your experience there?

Thanks. [Smile]

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

I have a problem occurring every time I try to instal Flash player which so many sites tell me is essential to view the site properly or play music. Even the BBC site seems to need it to listen on line. However every time I instal it I get an annoying little advertising program that inserts links at random in any website I am on. It's called Toparcadehits.

It does give instructions on how to uninstal it but they don't work! Any advice on how to get rid of it please - or on an alternative to Flash player?

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

I've found this: mozilla (Firefox) forums, and links thereon. People seem to be able to get rid of it.

It was probably downloaded as an add-on to a legit programme/extension. Adobe Flash download I think will automatically add Chrome (as browser/new default browser) and Java will add the Ask.com-toolbar/install it as default search option - if NOT unticked! [Mad]

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

It defnitely piggybacks along with Adobe Flash. I instal it, Topcarcadehits appears. I uninstal it, Toparcadehits disappears. There definitely is no option to decline it.

So, the solution seems to be, is there an alternative to Flash player?

[ 18. July 2013, 18:49: Message edited by: Sparrow ]

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Try to download it from the Adobe Flashplayer site proper, not from any third-party website. I'd be very surprised if they'd bundle it on their own site. (What OS and browser are you using, BTW?)

Unfortunately, there is currently no easily available alternative option to Flash, which - I agree - is a nuisance.

[ 18. July 2013, 19:10: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

I've been using Win XP and Firefox. I thought I was downloading Flash from the Adobe site - whichever link I used, it always took me to the same website, even when clicking through from the BBC site.

--------------------

Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sparrow, it's likely that the TopArcadeHits is due to something already on your machine which is hi-jacking the link to the Flash download.

Run a full scan with something like Malwarebytes, and check to see if anything has snuck in to change your default search functionality or installed itself as a proxy.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

quote:
Originally posted by Snags:
Sparrow, it's likely that the TopArcadeHits is due to something already on your machine which is hi-jacking the link to the Flash download.

Run a full scan with something like Malwarebytes, and check to see if anything has snuck in to change your default search functionality or installed itself as a proxy.

I agree, sounds like a new spin on the nasty "Google Redirect" malware. That's a very hard one to get rid of as it has a rootkit component.

--------------------

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Anyone on board using a decent pdf merger/splitter, possibly freeware? What's your experience there?

Thanks. [Smile]

I have a rather hacky way of splitting pdf's, which is to open the pdf in a viewer (i.e. Adobe Acrobat Reader or Preview), select 'print', select a page range, and then 'print as pdf' ...

(This of course depends on 'print as pdf' being an option on your print dialog. I'm using a Mac where it comes by default, and I know there are various free plugins you can get for a PC.)

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
I have a rather hacky way of splitting pdf's, which is to open the pdf in a viewer (i.e. Adobe Acrobat Reader or Preview), select 'print', select a page range, and then 'print as pdf' ...

Preview can handle merging and splitting directly. You can select and delete pages in the sidebar, or drag pages from one PDF to another. You can also select pages in the sidebar, hit Copy, then go to File -> New From Clipboard.
Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm about to throw out the old computer. There isn't anything important that I can think of on the hard drive - I don't store passwords. But it does store login names and there are old personal documents on there. Do people have advice on disposing of it please?

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Your basic options are:

- do nothing, it's fairly low risk
- physically remove the HDD, take it apart, and destroy it
- get a copy of DBAN (Darik's Boot And Nuke) and run it through a few cycles to secure erase it

I would post a link, but I'm on the phone; Google will find it easily enough

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
It defnitely piggybacks along with Adobe Flash. I instal it, Topcarcadehits appears. I uninstal it, Toparcadehits disappears. There definitely is no option to decline it.

So, the solution seems to be, is there an alternative to Flash player?

There is something else that's worrying me, I dont know if it is related. Every time I try to shut down the computer I get the message saying, do not turn off the computer because updates need to be intstalled. (This is on a PC running XP). It's been happening every day for about a week. Do you think something else has installed itself that is preventing the updates from installing?

--------------------

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amorya:
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:

Preview can handle merging and splitting directly. You can select and delete pages in the sidebar, or drag pages from one PDF to another. You can also select pages in the sidebar, hit Copy, then go to File -> New From Clipboard.
When I tried Ricardus' method in my system (Acrobat Reader X on Windows 7 with the option"print to file", it didn't work. It made a file that purported to be an Acrobat document, but my reader could not open it (said "type not recognised" even though it saved by default as .PDF

[ 24. July 2013, 04:51: Message edited by: Tukai ]

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  31  32  33 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016