homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » It's Geek to me: Translating computereze (Page 20)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  31  32  33 

Source: (consider it) Thread: It's Geek to me: Translating computereze
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
A question about printing pdfs from Adobe Reader XI to a number of Canon Pixma inkjet printers.

I've found that occasionally printed text in pdf documents can become garbled, i.e. showing a wild assortment of letters instead of the correct words. This can happen once, or several times, when doing several copies of the same document, and with all or only part of the page garbled, or everything on it ok. It can also occur with all of the connected printers, not just one.

It might be that certain types of pdf are especially prone to this, like pdf forms filled in by me, or forms auomatically created online by some website, and then printed by me. So it is perhaps a matter of that transformation process which confuses my printers.

Scanned document pdfs pose no problem.

Any thoughts? Thank you. [Confused]

According to Adobe, that sort of thing is most commonly caused by either internal damage to the pdf file (which doesn't affect its ability to be rendered on screen), or using old printer drivers. TAlso, there have been documented problems of Adobe reader updates causing problems with Pixma printers, so force a check to see if you have the most recent release of Adobe Reader XI.

Certainly you should check you are using the most up-to-date printer driver, and install that. Even if your driver is the current version I would still advise you to uninstall it and re-install it anyway for reasons too tedious to go into here.

I don't know about how you might regenerate a new pdf if the old one was damaged as it will depend on what software was in use. pdf's have become so variable that problems seem to crop up a lot more these days than they used to. They can now contain all sorts of things like sound effects, scripts and movie clips. If you have the option to re-generate the pdf, try doing so in a PDF/X format which should chop out a lot of that sort of thing.

We generate various documents here that need to go for commercial printing, and I spoke to our printer about this a while back. His comment was that they have to handle pdf's a lot at the imposition stage (how the pages are laid out on the big digital printers they use) and these sort of problems often crop up there, if you'll excuse the pun. They are often not caused by the DTP packages themselves, but by the pdf's people send in (e.g. advertisers), and these problems get carried forward. We sorted this out by generating PDF/X-1 format files which works in our case.

If you have access to a non-Canon printer you could also try printing to that of course. These problems seem to affect both Mac and Windoze machines. Scanned image pdf's are really just glorified bitmaps and rarely give problems.

[ 04. October 2013, 12:52: Message edited by: Honest Ron Bacardi ]

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lovely! Thanks! I'll report back. [Overused]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fonts can cause issues with PDF and other document formats as well. This is common where you have a Windows <--> Mac exchange where the PDF file has been created with low-quality software and it references fonts instead of embedding them. A font with the same name on a different system might not actually be the same font.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by the giant cheeseburger:

The solution to this doubt about whether the converter box will work is something that actually is your specialty - good old fashioned customer service! Buy a converter box from a proper store staffed by real human beings who will notice when you refuse to treat them like they are convicts doing community service - and before buying make sure you check that you can return it with all the packaging carefully kept intact should it not work as intended. You'll probably pay a bit more than if you bought the identical product over the internet, but it would be worth it if it doesn't work.

alas, I live in a rural community and don't have that option available to me. We have a radio shack but they specialize in marine radio and sonar and have almost nothing in the computery realm, I went by yesterday and checked. So I'm stuck with amazon. the simple cable is cheap, though, so I'll order that and hope it works and go forward from there. thanks for your help!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Fonts can cause issues with PDF and other document formats as well. This is common where you have a Windows <--> Mac exchange where the PDF file has been created with low-quality software and it references fonts instead of embedding them. A font with the same name on a different system might not actually be the same font.

Very true, GC. (And also by high-quality software in the hands of people who forget the step about embedding fonts & graphics).

A related problem is that quite a few software packages are able to generate bold, italic etc. font styles automatically, even if those styles are not installed. What happens when people try to handle any resulting pdfs (which won't have those font styles embedded) can vary a lot depending on what they try to do with them.

[ 05. October 2013, 11:24: Message edited by: Honest Ron Bacardi ]

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm thinking of changing my ISP, but have always been put off because I assumed I would lose my current email address which I have had for years. I am with John Lewis/Waitrose so my email is something like myrealname@waitrose.com.

But it seems to me now that I could find a much cheaper deal somewhere else. Would I need to give up my @waitrose email address or is there any way I could keep it with my new ISP?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
I'm thinking of changing my ISP, but have always been put off because I assumed I would lose my current email address which I have had for years. I am with John Lewis/Waitrose so my email is something like myrealname@waitrose.com.

But it seems to me now that I could find a much cheaper deal somewhere else. Would I need to give up my @waitrose email address or is there any way I could keep it with my new ISP?

The whole point of an ISP including email service is so they have something that keeps you beholden to them, especially now that we use our email address as a login for website accounts. To allow you to keep your email address while not purchasing the internet service from them would make this model fail.

It used to be common in the days of dial-up internet when ISPs were independent businesses that only served a limited local area, if a customer moved to an area not served by that company they could set up a forwarding arrangement because they couldn't possibly retain you as a customer in an area they don't serve. But the reason it won't work that way is that Waitrose is not actually an ISP, they just act as a middle man charging you retail prices and paying a wholesale price to the actual ISP which provides the service - and that now the technology has moved on from dial-up internet the ISPs don't need to be small locally based companies these days.

My advice would be to get a new email address from a provider that is not an ISP (or a reseller of an ISP's wholesale service) so that you can have an address that doesn't tie you down to that ISP again. If you're concerned about the privacy implications of using a Google service, I could also recommend the independent provider Fastmail which offers plenty of different options for the domain name of your address.

I would suggest you do this immediately and switch over any online accounts, plus send a "hi everyone, this is my new address" message to people you know. Then wait a month or two so you can get any messages still trickling in on your old address before making the ISP switch.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:

My advice would be to get a new email address from a provider that is not an ISP (or a reseller of an ISP's wholesale service) so that you can have an address that doesn't tie you down to that ISP again. ...........

I would suggest you do this immediately and switch over any online accounts, plus send a "hi everyone, this is my new address" message to people you know. Then wait a month or two so you can get any messages still trickling in on your old address before making the ISP switch.

Yes I feared as much, but I have so many contacts etc with the current address, it will be a nightmare to switch them all over.

[Frown]

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

Why should having many contacts need to be an issue? You should be able to use the same email client on your computer as you were using before to keep your contacts in place, and a change of address message is one of the times it's more than acceptable to send a big group email (with all addresses in the BCC field of course).

--------------------

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The more complicated thing, I've found, is not the contacts I have who can be dealt with by a simple email, but the number of web sites where my current email address is part of my user ID or profile. AFAICT there is no short cut with these, you have to go to each website, log in, change your email address (and sometimes verify the change via email). I've got over 30 of these (one of which is the Ship). So you will need to invest some time in making the change.

[Edited to remove appearance of shouting (caps)]

[ 17. October 2013, 21:59: Message edited by: BroJames ]

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

Yes, that is what I was thinking of.

--------------------

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Do check with Waitrose though. I know that BT will allow people to keep their BT email addresses (for a small fee, of course - something like £2 a month). If Waitrose have a similar scheme you could take your time in identifying all those places that need a change while getting on with changing your ISP.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
Do check with Waitrose though. I know that BT will allow people to keep their BT email addresses (for a small fee, of course - something like £2 a month). If Waitrose have a similar scheme you could take your time in identifying all those places that need a change while getting on with changing your ISP.

Thanks, that sounds like a plan, I'll try that!

--------------------

Clint Boggis
Shipmate
# 633

- Posted      Profile for Clint Boggis   Author's homepage   Email Clint Boggis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A friend had the ISP email problem and wanted to change to another ISP. He asked them and they said he could keep the email account, no problem. He still uses it some years later.

I had the same ISP and wanted to move. I didn't ask but still use the account at least five years later.

It must only cost them a negligible amount but everyone my friend contacts sees the ISP name (onetel) so it's like an advert for them.

Posts: 1505 | From: south coast | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've had ordinary broadband for years now. Is there any advantage in changing to wifi? I only have the one pc in use so am not looking to connect any others in the house.
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I've had ordinary broadband for years now. Is there any advantage in changing to wifi? I only have the one pc in use so am not looking to connect any others in the house.

Yes.

You can connect a smartphone or tablet to the network (instead of using slower cellular data) and you will have the freedom of being able to reposition your computer at will instead of it being fixed in one spot according to the location of the phone line plug.

If you don't have any smartphones or tablets and the location of your phone line is actually the best spot for your computer, then the only possible benefit would be a possible performance increase from replacing an older worn-out modem/router with a new one that should give you fewer dropped connections and maybe a slight speed boost.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks. It sounds as if there isn't any point in changing as you have correctly identified the situation.

I do have a smartphone, but am not proposing to use it much for internet. If I understood the technician in the phone shop correctly, I wouldn't be able to log into my wireless network outside home anyway.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It depends on your wireless network ~ one of the bonuses of BT and I guess the other big providers is being able to log into WiFi hot spots ~ which has enabled me to work in more situations than my other peripatetic colleagues.

Are you sure about not using your smart phone for internet access? The ability to read the Ship and pick up emails on the move makes my commute much more tolerable. (The church twitter account gets updated on these journeys.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've started doing an MA, and that involves a lot of reading ebooks online. I'm finding my eyes hurt after doing a lot of reading on my laptop, and am thinking about getiing an ereader.

I'd like a big screen, the ability to take notes on my reading, and obviously a provider that would allow me to download the academic texts from the library.

Does anyone have any recommendations for such an ereader, available in the UK? Any students out there found good ereaders for academic work? Thanks!

Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Are you ever minded to get a Kindle? I'm not sure how that would work without wifi.

There is a definite step change between fixed spot computing and portable. It becomes flexible, integrated, casual, disposable (and much, much easier physically - no more Mouse Arm).

(Replying to Ariel)

[ 23. October 2013, 08:33: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Are you ever minded to get a Kindle? I'm not sure how that would work without wifi.

(Replying to Ariel)

I have a 3G kindle. It can be used with wifi, but also uses the telephone network. I've never tried to go on the internet with it though.

Huia - the technopeasant*

*with thanks to Pete for that word - which I hope he hasn't copyrighted

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I’ve had my pay-as-you-go smartphone since the weekend. I like it a lot but internet is a real hassle. I lost £30 in credit within less than 24h because I didn’t realize that it was constantly downloading data in the background. I now have internet turned off (or packet data, anyway) to save costs.

I discovered yesterday that some wi-fi is free but I'm a complete novice at how this works. What seems to happen is that I can log into a free network spot here and there but what I can actually get seems to be very limited – the provider’s own home page and links. If I shift to another wi-fi network it seems to be almost impossible to get rid of the previous home page which simply says “not found”. The only way I can use the internet fully is to turn packet data back on and for the sake of cost keep access to an absolute minimum as I did with my last phone.

It’s a lovely little phone and I don’t want to get rid of it but it’s pretty clear that these are meant really for people on monthly contracts rather than PAYG.

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Are you sure about not using your smart phone for internet access? The ability to read the Ship and pick up emails on the move makes my commute much more tolerable. (The church twitter account gets updated on these journeys.

Commutes are my "quiet time" for reading, thinking and Sudoku. Internet, phone and radio access all seem to lapse about 5 minutes out of the station anyway and stay that way for the rest of the journey. I’m fine with that, though there are occasions when it would be useful to have them.

[ 23. October 2013, 11:51: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Check what your PAYG supplier offers. I have a PAYG deal that means I top up at least £10 per month, I get unlimited texts and 4GB internet download for the next month. The trade off is more expensive phone calls which I tend to be able to charge to work, so the better deal for me.

There were other options I could have signed up to.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

Some of the deals vary a lot. I have a PAYG phone (I live in the sticks - no mobile signal at all on many days). So it's mostly for the odd call or internet use when away from home. I'm with BT so have free access to tens of thousands of free WiFi hotspots around the country, and data charges are capped at £1/day. Though I try to locate a free WiFi signal before switching 3G on.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Silly question - possibly there's quite a straightforward answer:

I'm playing around with a 2nd monitor, an HP 2710m, which is currently connected to my nice little Alienware M11x R2 lappie.

When creating an enlarged desktop (which extends over both screens), I notice the desktop part on the external monitor always seems to be positioned to the right of the native one (here, the laptop screen).

Is there a way to change this, so that the main screen could be extended towards the left? (For practical reasons, the big screen needs to physically be on that side.)

Thanks. [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

quote:
Silly question - possibly there's quite a straightforward answer:

I'm playing around with a 2nd monitor, an HP 2710m, which is currently connected to my nice little Alienware M11x R2 lappie.

When creating an enlarged desktop (which extends over both screens), I notice the desktop part on the external monitor always seems to be positioned to the right of the native one (here, the laptop screen).

Is there a way to change this, so that the main screen could be extended towards the left? (For practical reasons, the big screen needs to physically be on that side.)

Thanks. [Smile]

If you're using a sensible version of Windows, right-click on the desktop and choose "Screen Resolution." You'll be presented with a graphical representation of the extended desktop arrangement in the top third of the resulting control panel, simply drag monitor two over the left from its current position on the right.

If you're using Windows 8, you're on your own as far as help from me goes as I have no clue about the various ways they buggered it up for users who want a computer OS on a computer instead of a mobile OS - and no interest in finding out either.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Ha! Saw that, but think I omitted to then actually click 'apply' - and as you say, indeed it works on this Win 7 machine now.

Many thanks indeed, TGC! [Overused] [Yipee]

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

Another very basic "idiot's" question - I have some BBC programmes on my desktop PC that I have downloaded with iPlayer; I understand it is possible to view them on my TV rather than on the desktop screen. Is this possible, and if so, how do I do it?

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

I'd say it's basically a question of using the telly as a monitor. Most recent TVs have a number of video-in connections of one kind or another.

What's put me off so far, is that my telly is in the other corner of the room and long video cables are really expensive, and are apparently losing transmission strength the longer they are. This applies, AFAIK, at least to scart, HDMI and VGA connections.

I think it mostly depends on a) the video-out connections on your puter, b) the video-in connections on your telly, and c) how far from the puter the telly is.

Perhaps could say what the aforementioned outs and ins are, if you like.

Curious to see what others can add to this.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well actually my parents new TV is more than just a monitor with a TV receiver. It connects to the local network, and it certainly has a USB port on which you can load a USB stick and look at pictures. I suspect a fair few now have small computers on board. However note whose TV it is. I do not have TV and therefore my expertise in this area is minimal.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

quote:
What's put me off so far, is that my telly is in the other corner of the room and long video cables are really expensive, and are apparently losing transmission strength the longer they are. This applies, AFAIK, at least to scart, HDMI and VGA connections.

It sounds like you've been taken in by the FUD that the big corporate stores use to get you to buy overpriced HDMI cables which can easily be well over 80% profit margin.

Signal degradation isn't an issue up to (officially) 30 metres or (unofficially) 50 metres) so long as you aren't joining more than three cables together, even with cheaper cables. This is because HDMI sends digital signals,1's an 0's are a lot more resilient than analogue signals with colour levels. The same applies to DVI cables, which are the same as the video part of HDMI).

SCART, VGA, composite (uses a single yellow RCA plug) and component (uses three coloured RCA plugs) are all analogue signals which do degrade with distance or due to interference affecting poorly shielded cables.

A general tip for anybody with HDMI cables - don't buy the expensive branded cables that the big consumer electronics stores try to sell you when you buy a new TV or DVR. Instead buy a cheap cable from a budget PC component store or over eBay with PayPal payment from a vendor in your country (to get the protection of your country's consumer laws), the quality will be exactly the same but without paying for the flashy packaging or the 80-90% profit margin for the store. I've had a 10 metre HDMI cable that cost $14 for nearly four years now without a single problem, but you can easily pay up to $80 at a big box electronics store for a 2-3 metre cable.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

That's good to know! I've just got a 3-metre HDMI cable for about $25, grrr... - but as I didn't have time to shop around... ach well. The 1.5m one was $20, which really made me wonder! I mean, if 1.5m more is only plus $5, there's something fishy going on. [Paranoid]

I'll look into cheaper outlets from now on. Thank you, again. [Smile]

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

quote:

That's good to know! I've just got a 3-metre HDMI cable for about $25, grrr... - but as I didn't have time to shop around... ach well. The 1.5m one was $20, which really made me wonder! I mean, if 1.5m more is only plus $5, there's something fishy going on. [Paranoid]

I'll look into cheaper outlets from now on. Thank you, again. [Smile]

That just means that the fixed costs per unit are a high proportion of the cost for cables shorter than about 10 metres. In terms of materials and production costs, the connections at each end are the most expensive parts while the length of wire between is cheap. You can also add in the almost fixed costs of the supply chain (freight companies would charge for goods like by volume rather than weight) and the fixed portion of the retailer's markup which coverts overheads.

There is a royalty included in the price of HDMI cable or device which is fixed rather than being dependent on length. For a manufacturer producing less than 10,000 units per year it is a US$5,000 fee plus US$1 per unit, for over 10,000 units per year it is US$10,000 plus US$0.15 per unit or US$0.05 per unit if the HDMI logo is used.

Just for fun, there is also a royalty paid every time you purchase a 802.11 (aka WiFi) device. Thanks to WiFi being an invention of the public-owned Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation, that all flows back to the people of Australia and the world in the form of a healthy funding source for our scientific researchers. The CSIRO also invented the photocopier, aircraft landing guidance system, polymer banknotes and the radio telescope.

[ 04. November 2013, 12:14: Message edited by: the giant cheeseburger ]

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

Another dummy's question .... when I look at signing up for Twitter, it seems to want me to provide both a username and an email address. So is the email address private, or does it show on tweets and messages? I kind of want to remain anonymous and not have to show my email address.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

The e-mail address remains private on Twitter. Your user name is what is used for tweets and that shows as an @username.

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
The e-mail address remains private on Twitter. Your user name is what is used for tweets and that shows as an @username.

Great, thanks!

--------------------

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can't view U-tube things any more. Links work OK, but all I have is a black rectangle. Have I done something to cause this? Can I fix it (with your help) ?

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

quote:
Originally posted by Pearl B4 Swine:
I can't view U-tube things any more. Links work OK, but all I have is a black rectangle. Have I done something to cause this? Can I fix it (with your help) ?

The most probable cause is that your installed copy of Flash is out of date and therefore disabled to protect your security. To get the current version, go to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer and follow the prompts to install it again.

If that doesn't work, what OS and what web browser are you running?

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Help]

I just bought a Kindle Paperwhite. I have never owned an e-reader before.

The instructions say to begin by charging the battery from my computer; they provide a cable for the purpose.

When I plugged it in this morning, I got a message on my computer that the thing I plugged in was not interacting with the computer. They suggested I make sure I had all necessary updates. My computer downloads updates automatically, but I found a few updates that hadn't been installed, and installed them. It didn't do any good so I turned off the computer and tried again a few hours later.

This time, the computer didn't even tell me that the thing I plugged in wasn't interacting. What do I do now?

In case you haven't noticed, I'm computer-illiterate.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

If all you're using the computer for with the Kindle is to charge it, it doesn't matter that the computer doesn't recognise the device. That's actually quite standard for USB-powered devices which only use the port as a power source, such as desk fans or drink can coolers.

If the Kindle is not getting the power supply (it should have some sort of charging indicator) then you have a low-power USB 1.1 port when charging a device like a Kindle, iPad or smartphone requires a high-power USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 port. The solution to that is simple - get a USB charger which plugs into the wall directly, the branding doesn't matter as it is all standard.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a plug which takes a USB cable. I switch in either the iPad or the Kindle cable to charge either device.

It is a lot less bother than firing up a PC, and, of course, goes in the suitcase (with appropriate adapter if going abroad) when I travel.

What I want is for that - or something similar - to serve as a universal charger. At the moment, the camera and phone need their own individual ones.

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My USB port is labeled 2.0, and the Kindle gives no sign of charging.

I ordered an AC adapter yesterday evening. I have given up on the computer.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hey Windows 7 gurus: my stupid taskbar keeps getting stuck in the "on" position, obscuring the bottom cm or so of my screen. I can make it go away by shutting off explorer and turning it back on, but it's become a multiple-times-daily occurrence now. Thoughts?

[ 18. November 2013, 16:07: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Moo,

Did the Kindle ever charge from your computer?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can one have too many Skype contacts?

By which I mean, is having too many Skype contacts a possible source of sluggishness in general computer performance?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
By which I mean, is having too many Skype contacts a possible source of sluggishness in general computer performance?

I wouldn't think so, Skype is an important enough program for Microsoft that they would patch it pretty quickly if it was having memory leak issues.

The usual suspects for generally lethargic performance would be a low amount of hard drive space, bloated anti-virus programs (I've seen computers infected with viruses running better than computers infected with Norton products) and too many background processes.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by The5thMary:
Or more insane than I already am!

Just this week a white box keeps popping up over every webpage and actually, ANY time my wife and I do anything on our laptop. I did a Yahoo search on this specific message and it seems like a pretty common problem but yet no one had any tips on how to get rid of it--well, there IS a very complicated YouTube video about it but I couldn't follow it and gave up, curling into a fetal position in a corner of my office. Please help!

Text inside little white box sez: Updater by SweetPacks thisValue: SyntaxError:Unexpected token s

Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

- Posted      Profile for Alban   Email Alban   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Greetings Mary
Looks like an extension you don't want.
It could be called Web Assistant or Updater by SweetPacks.It needs to be turned off or uninstalled.
To get at the extensions and eradicate them: Guessing you're using Google Chrome, for me it is open the edit menu, click preferences and down the left choose extensions. YMMV however.

--------------------
Whoever you are, wherever you go, Hophtrig is your friend!

Posts: 722 | From: Under a (long white) cloud | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alban:
Greetings Mary
Looks like an extension you don't want.
It could be called Web Assistant or Updater by SweetPacks.It needs to be turned off or uninstalled.
To get at the extensions and eradicate them: Guessing you're using Google Chrome, for me it is open the edit menu, click preferences and down the left choose extensions. YMMV however.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Alban! Your instructions weren't quite correct for Google Chrome but I was able to figure out what to do and when I looked at what extensions had been enabled, there it was: SweetPacks! I disabled it and felt like crying--that's how damned annoying that little message box was! Again, many thanks! [Big Grin]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

I seem to have momentarily lost my Advanced Geekiness, but gained beepiness - here's a question to warning beeps on Alienware laptops.

When waking up my M11x R2 from hibernation (bought spring 2011, Win7 64bit Ultimate) the other day, there were some dreaded beeps, a threesome of them, and the wake-up screen seemed to be stuck. According to various DELL and Alienware support websites, 3 beeps seem to indicate chipset failure. However, upon pressing the power button, force-shut down, and restart, all appears to be fine now.

To be on the safe side, I did a backup of the machine, and let it run several hours of diagnostic tests, i.e. the extended test programme in pre-boot mode - no problems found.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? Treat it especially carefully? Do further tests?

I'm using the wee liddle machine daily, also en route - perfect size for travelling. And should it really give up the alien, errm, ghost after less than 3 years? No more warranty of course. [Paranoid]

Thanks. [Smile]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  31  32  33 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016