homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » It's Geek to me: Translating computereze (Page 23)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...  31  32  33 

Source: (consider it) Thread: It's Geek to me: Translating computereze
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you Doc Tor - I do that too(although not yet for this laptop as it arrived yesterday...) . I meant using antivirus as a second wall of defence (a "back up" ) behind windows defender, in case it misses any viruses.

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh okay.

I'm not sure of the efficacy of using two anti-virus programs, as what might evade one will probably evade the other, and what will be caught by one will also be caught by the other.

There are specific programs that'll go after deeply embedded rootkit things, but they're generally run only when you think you need them.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The advice I was given was:

• DO NOT RUN TWO ANTI-VIRUS programmes. They spend all the time scanning each others lists of virus codes and foul up your machine somewhat rotten.
  • Do have a firewall and an anti-virus, these work differently and one will detect threats the other does not.
  • Do also run some of the extra anti-spyware such as MalwareBytes. These are designed to plug holes other software doesn't. They normally do a single scan.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you have windows 8.1 then you will have both firewall and anti-virus through windows defender and don't need to duplicate these. As Jengie Jon says, it will just cause problems.

When I got windows 8 I didn't reinstall my AVG antivirus and firewall for these reasons. I had read that windows defender is considered pretty good and so far I haven't had any problems.

I haven't used any anti-spyware since installing windows 8, but might give this some thought now I have been reminded.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There can be specific instances with two specific anti-virus that work together without causing more harm than good. But at best they will slow down your computer. And it rarely survives very long.
Even some spyware/anti-virus combos cause problems.
Research and continuously: the best solution today will not be so tomorrow.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Cartmel Veteran
Shipmate
# 7049

- Posted      Profile for Cartmel Veteran   Author's homepage   Email Cartmel Veteran   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have Microsoft's firewall running and Avast doing my antivirus.

But every so often I also scan with MalwareBytes. This is perfectly fine as this program isn't normally running all the time, it does not compete with the other program.

Posts: 1041 | From: Dorset | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi. I need help with some long-term dial-up connection problems.

I have difficulty getting connected. When I do, the connection is very unstable. My home pages hang, and rarely really connect.

I get many error messages. I'm told the codes are the same for all ISPs, at least in the US. If you're not familiar with them, there's probably a list online.

The error codes I've gotten are: 618, 628, 631, 638, 651, 678, 718, 734, 777

The problems have gotten much worse over the past few months, to the point where I'm online very little. That's a problem, because health problems keep me home most of the time. And most days, the Net is the only contact I have with people.

An additional puzzle piece: the internal modem's signal that it's successfully connected is often stuttering and garbled, as if it's got to work really hard. OTOH, when I run a modem query test, everything seems to be fine. I was thinking it might be the sound card, but I haven't noticed any other problems with sounds.

Computer details:

--Desktop PC, running Windows Vista.

--ISP is Earthlink, with "Total Access" dial-up.

--Browser: mainly IE8, and occasionally various Mozilla-based browsers.

Oh, and when I run Earthlink's diagnostic utility, it almost always fails at the step where it tests the DNS service, and suggest that there may be a DNS problem.

I spent some time talking to Earthlink tech support last night. Difficult communication, due to outsourcing. But the gist was that the problems are all on my end. despite the way the text of some error messages is worded. A previous ISP thought the problem was in my phone line.

Anyway, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this connection will hold long enough for me to post this!

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. Due to the connection problems, it may take me a few days to respond to posts, so please be patient!
[Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Modem issues are a bit tricky to do a remote diagnosis on, but from back when I was dealing with them a lot, the usual advice includes:

- if possible, use a good external modem, not an internal one. If nothing else the lights help with diagnostics!

- where there are multiple extensions on the line, unplug everything except the modem; it could be interference from other devices

- make a call from your handset to the modem number and see if it's picking up and sending the initial negotiating tones correctly

- turn the volume up on your modem so you can hear the negotiation process and listen for "odd" parts (you kind of have to know what a normal negotiation sounds like for this to be of value)

- get the line checked for quality/noise as a crappy line will really stuff things up

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One of the obvious tests would be to get a friend to call round with their own laptop and modem, and see if they either replicate the problem or log on fine.

At least that way, you can have a more specific conversation with tech support.

(Also dial-up. I've been on a fibre optic cable for a decade, and have mostly forgotten how crunchy dial-up is...)

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My guess would be spotty phone service. Speakers keep vibrating momentarily when the sound is cut off, so a microsecond gap in connection might not be audible in a voice call, but could be enough to wreak havoc on electronic communications.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Okay, I need help. I have a Win 7 laptop, and I can't get anything onboard to listen to the "external" mic.

When I switch it to make the external mic the main input mode, I get various error messages, depending on the software. For instance, Zelscope, an oscilloscope emulator, says "The specified device is already in use. Wait until it is free, and then try again."

Audacity says, "Error while opening sound device. Please check the input device settings and the project sample rate."

Sound recorder says "An audio recording device could not be found."

On the plus side, when I plug the microphone into the jack, it makes a crackling noise through the speakers, and it makes a "pop" sound when I turn the mic switch on and off. So some kind of signal is worming its way through the plug.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does the external microphone show up in the Device Manager?
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Okay, very basic question for Minecraft geeks who can actually speak English. (Or Danish, not picky here)

My son blandished me into downloading the zip files for the city of Copenhagen. You know that Denmark Minecrafticized itself in the name of geography? Yeah.

Anyway, we've downloaded the files, we've extracted them, but I don't know where we need to park them or what we need to do to tell the game program itself access them. Right now they are sitting in the downloads directory of the computer.

He has Minecraft 1.7.9. Thanks!

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This should* work.
quote:

Download the map.
Go to your %appdata%/.minecraft folder.
Open the “saves” folder.
Unzip the map you downloaded, and put the unzipped folder into the saves folder.

First create a backup of his minecraft folder!!!!!

*Minecraft can be a minefield.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
oy vey, can't even find the directories you speak of! wonder if windows is helpfully hiding them from me.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
oy vey, can't even find the directories you speak of! wonder if windows is helpfully hiding them from me.

They are. You need to click the "show hidden/system folders" box.

#hasboywhoplaysminecraft

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

The Machine Elf

Irregular polytope
# 1622

- Posted      Profile for The Machine Elf   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:

They are. You need to click the "show hidden/system folders" box.

#hasboywhoplaysminecraft

Or press [Windows] + R and type / paste %appdata%/.minecraft into the box

--------------------
Elves of any kind are strange folk.

Posts: 1298 | From: the edge of the deep green sea | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If anyone can advise me on combining .Rmd files with images to create PDF documents, I would be undyingly greatful. Any solution would be appreciated, whether it involves Rstudio and knitr, or additional software, or other software entirely.

If the resulting PDF documents could also have live links and be text-searchable, that would be fantastic. But I can live without those features, as long as I can get the pictures in.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If Knitr works as it says, then the dirty way, if the images exist separately to the rmd files, is to compile the knitr file so it produces a standalone html file and then edit that to include the images. Remember html is just text.

From having html file you have two options for getting the images in: the geek way and the mucky way.

For the geek way you would do this in your favourite web editor (yes a standard text editor will do) and as long as you have a print to pdf installed (e.g. cutepdf) then you just print it from your webbrowser when ready.

However if you fancy going the mucky way then you can open the html file in Word, add the pictures and mess around with the format and then get Word to export it as a pdf. This gives you more control of the pdf than just printing, but you have to deal with Microsoft.

Your choice.

Jengie

p.s. if instead you want to add images to plots then print them as pdfs the command add image is in the fields package for R.

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks, Jengie Jon. On closer inspection, the images are all the result of R plotting commands embedded in the R markdown. So they should just automatically include themselves, it seems to me. I'll see if that happens, while following your instructions in outline.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have to proofread and edit a very long document created in Word 2007, and one of the things I need to do is to change all the quote marks from straight quotes to curly quotes. Is there a quick way of doing this? I have found that I can change Autocorrect to do it as I type, but not if the document already exists. Can anyone suggest a solution?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Try this

Press "CTRL" + "F" to bring up the "Find and Replace" menu, and select the "Replace" tab.

Type one double quotation mark (") in the "Find what" field, and type another double quotation mark in the "Replace with" field.

Click the button labeled "Replace all," and all the straight quotes will transform into curly quotes.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks,I thought I had already tried that and it didn't work, but I just tried it again and it did!

[Yipee]

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

Another question ... can anyone recommend a FREE picture editing software package that will enable me to put captions on my pictures - on the picture itself rather than underneath it. Thanks.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You can use MSPaint for that.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
GIMP is freeware picture editing. Captions are just adding a text box .

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Google's Picasa is also free. Does the same stuff as the rest.

[ 21. May 2014, 16:09: Message edited by: monkeylizard ]

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here I am again, asking my wise shipmates for help. By the way, I have neglected to say "Thank You" in the past, so...thank You.

Problem with my cordless mouse- Microsoft, low end price. It takes spells of skittering away from where I am pointing. Sometimes it is OK, but the wandering happens enough to be very maddening.

I took it apart & cleaned it out the best I could. No improvement. The battery is fresh. So, what's up?

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

The surface on which it is used might be a problem. Mouse with a ball underneath? Or optical mouse?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My thoughts too. Try not using your mouse pad for a few days (or try one if you don't have one) and see if that fixes the problem.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's optical- a blue light inside.
And, I thought of the surface, too. It doesn't matter if I use a (cleaned) mouse pad, or the table top. Also, sometimes a left click doesn't "take" & I have to click again. I thought, maybe Ive just worn out the contacts.

If I have to get a new one, what do you think best? I do a lot of low-level gaming, and other normal stuff. Thanks guys [Smile]

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Probably just failing, then. The Microsoft Arc And Arc Touch are my two favourite mice at the moment.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
You can use MSPaint for that.

I couldn't get either Picasa or Paint to do what I wanted. I want the caption on the picture itself, not on the bottom, and preferably in white so the lettering stands out against the picture background.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It might be worth looking for free (and older) versions of Photoshop. A text layer in any colour, font, size and position you want is very easy in that.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
GIMP really will do that. You open your picture in GIMP, add a text box which should be as a new layer, set the lettering to what you want it to be - might have to open the toolbox to do that - choose colour, font, size - and then move the layer to where you want the text to sit. Merge layers, export to .jpg. Done.

Better to work on the text all in one movement as moving the text boxes isn't always brilliantly easy.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Any suggestions on connecting multiple (well, two...) monitors to a deskie?

I've got the main monitor on HDMI both sides, and am finding the VGA connection (both sides) of monitor #2 not really satisfactory. - Do I better get a DVI to DVI cable (puter-monitor), or a DVI (puter) to HDMI (monitor) connector?

Windows 7, BTW.

Ta muchly. [Smile]

[ 07. June 2014, 14:24: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is there a free programme I can use that will highlight spelling mistakes and typos that I make when I post on the Ship? I know I can post in Word then transfer it over, but that seems a bit clumsy.

Please use simple language when replying - I don't speak computerese as a second language.

Huia - technologically challenged

AAARGH - I made a typo spelling typo .

QED - (as demonstrated)

[ 08. June 2014, 01:47: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Google Chrome does in-post spellcheck. I think you have to opt in, though.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Firefox as well. It should be noted that this does not include the title of a new post. You are free to muck that up without a peep from Firefox.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Many thanks to you Minecraft people for advice! Sorry for delay, every time I mean to thank you my not-so-wee monster is on the computer, playing... Minecraft.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Just checking - Opera has a built in spell check too. (You get the red wiggly lines under misspelled words - you don't get the green lines for grammar, doesn't stop homophones or other problems.)

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

I do not know what browser you are using but Grammarly Lite will do it for a number of browsers, but it has American spelling.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anyone know how to switch off spell/grammarcheck within Safari on an iPad? It will keep introducing 'a' before any noun, irrespective of the sentence structure.

[ 08. June 2014, 20:55: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Has anyone any idea why I cannot persuade my phone (Samsung B2100) to see my laptop, and vice-versa, using Bluetooth? A couple of years ago (that's how often I fill up the 15 pics worth of memory...), used Bluetooth to download it as cheapskate Samsung didn't provide it with software... but it's having nothing of it today!

Cheers,

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hazy memory from trying to get two computers to talk (it didn't work as both £1 bluetooth adapters had the same ID, but did get in touch with phone)

At least some devices you need to actively tell them to look for each other the first time. If things have reset since then you may need to redo this?
(otherwise anyone could get the photos off the phone)

On my phone when bluetooth is enabled (showing the lightning B) the settings menu has an option with a bluetooth menu with an option to make the device discoverable and a list of old connections.

Clicking on the old connection seems to reawaken something.

You may also have to do the opposite steps on the computer, not sure how that works on different devices.

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

Use a USB cable instead?

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a Samsung and found their program a right pain. I now use My Phone Explorer - install it on the pc/lappie, get the app for the phone and it'll give you a choice of WiFi, USB or Bluetooth - I use Bluetooth. You have to launch both the program and the app. You can then sync contacts, messages, tasks and look through the files and download them.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I also have a Samsung but I guess it depends what sort you have/how old it is, because I plug mine into the pc, the pc always offers to "install new software" and fails, but a message comes up on the phone saying touch to activate USB connection. So I do and it works fine after that, just drag and drop via Explorer in the usual way. However, I do have to go through this every time and it will only recognize the memory card, not access the phone itself.

Tangentially, I've also discovered to my annoyance that many apps won't or can't be transferred to the memory card, so the phone is filling up nicely while the memory card still has a huge amount of space.

GCabot
Shipmate
# 18074

- Posted      Profile for GCabot   Email GCabot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs Shrew:
I've taken in board the advice that windows defender is pretty good. If, however, I'm looking for a backup like Balaam described, what would you recommend? I don't mind paying for it, I just want it to work, not slow my laptop down and not pester me all the time. I'm running windows 8.1.

It depends on what you are looking for. I use AVG, which is a full-fledged anti-virus program. If you are looking for something purely as a backup, you could use something like BullGuard Virus Scan, which works off a browser extension.

--------------------
The child that is born unto us is more than a prophet; for this is he of whom the Savior saith: "Among them that are born of woman, there hath not risen one greater than John the Baptist."

Posts: 285 | From: The Heav'n Rescued Land | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

"Silo" seems to be the new everybody-has-to-use-it word. I'm still not happy about Cloud. Who thinks up these things? [Old Person Rant]

--------------------
Oinkster

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...  31  32  33 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016