homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » It's Geek to me: Translating computereze (Page 24)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  31  32  33 

Source: (consider it) Thread: It's Geek to me: Translating computereze
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wesley J HDMI and DVI are both digital connections so either should give better results. As you're already using HDMI-HDMI on one monitor, I assume the other output from the PC is DVI, not HDMI? If so I would stick with DVI-DVI (assuming a DVI in on the monitor) as you're not going to improve on the source signal.

At the end of the day, keeping both ends the same normally gives the best result. Only use converters/adapters when you have to.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you! I'm glad there are some Snags to it!

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
HDMI and DVI carry the same quality of visual signal. The main difference is that HDMI can also carry an audio signal. That's why an HDMI-DVI converter is just a plug. It's simply rewiring the wire layout from one plug to another. What Snags said is true though. Only convert if you have to because every connection risks some signal loss.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've suddenly started getting annoying "sponsored" adverts coming in at the top of my inbox (and every other mail folder) in Yahoo every time I open it up. They go away when I click on a cross at the side of the title, but shortly afterwards another pops up. How can I get rid of them?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's happening to me too. You have to pay to make them go away.
As yahoo is not my main account I'm not going to pay.
I don't often read my mail in a browser as my iMac and iPad use a mail client to access all my mail accounts.

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Me too. And if I can succeed as marking them as spam, another pops up to take its place. Sigh. Not fun Yahoo.ca. Not fun.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If I can't get rid of them, that will be the end of a more than ten year very happy association with Yahoo. I won' stand for being messed around like this.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just got a raspberrypi - http://www.raspberrypi.org/ (their site is slow). Here is a link to a site that sells them in Canada. Though I got mine for $68.

The little computer is the size of 1½ packs of playing cards, runs Linux (like an Android phone does, though Linux for the little thing is different). I expect to leave a monitor, mouse and keyboard where I need to use a computer and stop hauling a laptop around. Need it only for some web stuff and documents (Libre Office).

Anyone else using one? I think the future of computing is cheap. My other computers are a used and free to me 10" Dell mini N-series, and a $189 off lease HP laptop. I have Linux on both of these.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
I've suddenly started getting annoying "sponsored" adverts coming in at the top of my inbox (and every other mail folder) in Yahoo every time I open it up. They go away when I click on a cross at the side of the title, but shortly afterwards another pops up. How can I get rid of them?

I haven't got any of those (yet...?). However, I've been a heavy user of 'AdblockPlus', 'Element Hiding Helper for AdblockPlus' and 'AdblockPlus Pop-up Add-on' for many years. These are add-ons in Firefox. They do the trick, though you'll occasionally have you tweak them, when the ad companies find new ways of forcing ads upon us.

I wonder if this might work for you?

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A similar question to Wesley J - I recently got a shiny new monitor (was using an old TV before). It's got VGA, HDMI and DisplayPort inputs. My PC has VGA and DVI outputs. I've been using VGA so far and it looks very nice.

Is it worth buying a DVI->HDMI cable? Will it suffer the same potential problems as the adapters mentioned above? I also have spare HDMI cables so an adaptor would be cheaper but not that much.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Late Paul
quote:
Originally posted by monkeylizard:
Only convert if you have to because every connection risks some signal loss.

Missed this before.
This is technically possible, but misleading. DVI and HDMI are digital signals. When they lose signal, the information is missing. It does not result in noise (fuzzy image/sound) like an analogue signal, but in missing bits or a complete loss image/sound. And it is not a gradual decline as analogue will do. It is a full signal, missing bits or nothing.*
Side Note: don't buy expensive cables. Here is an article explaining signal loss in digital cable.

*What are more often seen are compression artifacts which your cables/adapters have no effect in causing or fixing.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:

Me too. I thought it was because I clicked on a message saying firefox had blocked a pop up and I let it through. The message said that I could reverse this, but then I couldn't find a way. I tried resetting all my firefox settings.

Very, very annoyed as I have just changed my main email to yahoo and wouldn't have done if I had known. I don't know why it irritates me more than the sidebar ads.

I use Windows Mail as much as possible now, although I don't find it as good for some things.

Relieved to pop in here and find it might not have been my own stupid fault.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Joan Rasch
Shipmate
# 49

- Posted      Profile for Joan Rasch   Email Joan Rasch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm a long-time yahoo mail subscriber (it's my main email account). If you think of the ads that that appear at the top of the email list as a banner ad that's *pretending* to look like an email message, it's actually pretty easy to ignore. Just let your eyes immediately move to the SECOND line on the list of emails, and proceed from there. (On my system, the first line is even shaded differently, making it even easier to filter out.)

I would agree with anyone who says that this approach to ads is excessively deceitful, but it's still reasonably easy to avoid.

cheers from Boston - /Joan

--------------------
* A cyclist on the information bikepath

Posts: 509 | From: Boston, MA USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

I can only repeat what I said earlier: I'm not getting a single advert on Yahoo mail, not have for years, namely thanks to AdblockPlus. (Other adblockers are available.) Oh, and the Flashblock add-on, too. [Smile]

Linkie and Linkie.

--------------------

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We're having significant issues with internet access at the moment, and I am wondering whether it is just too many WiFi users at the same time. It seems that connecting to the router via Ethernet almost always solves the problem. We have a TalkTalk (ISP) provided Huawei HG533 N router with one of its Ethernet ports used via a power line adapter to provide a TV service.

So, two questions:
1 Is it likely that 5 simultaneous wifi users (some of whom are likely to be streaming music or video, or gaming) will be putting a strain on the router's wifi capabilities? If so…
2 Could I use a second router to alleviate the problem? My provisional thought would be to have it connected by Ethernet (via the power line adapter) to the first router (which will handle all WAN transactions). The TV service would be routed straight through the second router to the first. The second router would also be used to increase the overall WiFi capacity. If this is possible, I'm not sure whether the second router should run a second WiFi network or extend the one operated by the first router.

If this is sensible, can anyone point me towards some help, ideally step by step instructions for a relative ignoramus?

Thanks

James

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
BroJames,

You have a limited amount of bandwith coming in. It is then divided amoungst concurrent users. This is the most likely culprit, and nothing you can change unless your ISP allows for a better package.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
GCabot
Shipmate
# 18074

- Posted      Profile for GCabot   Email GCabot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
We're having significant issues with internet access at the moment, and I am wondering whether it is just too many WiFi users at the same time. It seems that connecting to the router via Ethernet almost always solves the problem. We have a TalkTalk (ISP) provided Huawei HG533 N router with one of its Ethernet ports used via a power line adapter to provide a TV service.

So, two questions:
1 Is it likely that 5 simultaneous wifi users (some of whom are likely to be streaming music or video, or gaming) will be putting a strain on the router's wifi capabilities? If so…
2 Could I use a second router to alleviate the problem? My provisional thought would be to have it connected by Ethernet (via the power line adapter) to the first router (which will handle all WAN transactions). The TV service would be routed straight through the second router to the first. The second router would also be used to increase the overall WiFi capacity. If this is possible, I'm not sure whether the second router should run a second WiFi network or extend the one operated by the first router.

If this is sensible, can anyone point me towards some help, ideally step by step instructions for a relative ignoramus?

Thanks

James

While it is possible that the source of your issues is a poorly made/designed router, I suspect that the culprit is likely bandwith, as lilbuddha said.

--------------------
The child that is born unto us is more than a prophet; for this is he of whom the Savior saith: "Among them that are born of woman, there hath not risen one greater than John the Baptist."

Posts: 285 | From: The Heav'n Rescued Land | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged
Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

- Posted      Profile for Alisdair   Email Alisdair   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Remember that BroJames says the problem tends to be resolved when connected via Ethernet, which rather suggests that the poor old router isn't really up to the job when it comes to handling multiple Wifi data streams.

BroJames, if you are using the router supplied by your ISP there is a good chance it's fairly basic. It might be worth finding some reviews of it online

If it looks as though your ISP has opted for cheap, and not particularly cheerful, in its choice of router, then buying a more serious bit of routing kit could well solve at least the worst of your bandwidth problems.

[ 24. June 2014, 18:13: Message edited by: Alisdair ]

Posts: 334 | From: Washed up in England | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh another question given this is talktalk. Is the router plugged into the primary telephone socket in the house?

At least some of the TalkTalk routers require this. I have one going free to anyone that wants it as my primary socket is in a position where it is impossible to get power to.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GCabot
Shipmate
# 18074

- Posted      Profile for GCabot   Email GCabot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alisdair:
Remember that BroJames says the problem tends to be resolved when connected via Ethernet, which rather suggests that the poor old router isn't really up to the job when it comes to handling multiple Wifi data streams.

BroJames, if you are using the router supplied by your ISP there is a good chance it's fairly basic. It might be worth finding some reviews of it online

If it looks as though your ISP has opted for cheap, and not particularly cheerful, in its choice of router, then buying a more serious bit of routing kit could well solve at least the worst of your bandwidth problems.

Ah, you are correct. I somehow missed that. Mea culpa.

--------------------
The child that is born unto us is more than a prophet; for this is he of whom the Savior saith: "Among them that are born of woman, there hath not risen one greater than John the Baptist."

Posts: 285 | From: The Heav'n Rescued Land | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

[brick wall] Oy! I missed that as well.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks all for your contributions. Budget won't run to buying another router ATM, but I've got several previous ones lying around. Hence my question about running two of them.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Instruction on connecting two routers.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bro James:

I don't know if this will be any help at all but we moved house recently and the new house has three telephone sockets. So we put the router and the ADSL filter gizmo in the bedroom, out of the way of grandchildren.

Since we moved we have had a lot of problems with the connection dropping.

So we recently got a BT TV package for the football and channels and films for the grandchildren. The engineer who came to install the kit said the reason for the connection dropping was because we had the router and the phone sharing a socket. (I think, I wasn't there) So he put another ADSL filter in the phone handset downstairs and that seems to have solved the problem. Whatever arrangement we had was splitting the signal.

The short version is you need an ADSL filter with every phone handset. And don't have things sharing sockets.

Sorry if this is totally irrelevant.

[ 25. June 2014, 14:38: Message edited by: Thyme ]

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Password keeper: any recommendations? Features I should look for, or misfeatures I should watch out for?

I'm interested in something for both my Windows 7 PC and my iPhone. I don't know if that means I need two different ones, or if it's possible to have a secure cloud solution that can be accessed from both. (Although storing all my passwords together in one place in the cloud makes me queasy... am I right to be suspicious, or could this be trusted?)

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
*Leon*
Shipmate
# 3377

- Posted      Profile for *Leon*   Email *Leon*   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
Password keeper: any recommendations? Features I should look for, or misfeatures I should watch out for?

I use LastPass. Their cloud implementation is very good (everything is encrypted locally and delivered to the cloud in a way that means they never have access to the password). You probably do want a cloud one, because you probably use some sites on both your PC and phone. But you're right to be suspicious. I reckon LastPass do it right, but others may not.

I can't comment on their iPhone app as I use Android.

Posts: 831 | From: london | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
KeePass is also good and is Freeware.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snags
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For clarity on sockets/filters etc.:

- there is no problem with things sharing sockets
- there is a problem with having unfiltered devices on the same line if the sockets are wired in parallel not series

So it's normally just a question of checking that all devices are filter, either because the filter is built into the faceplate, or with an external filter.

Also, no router whatsoever will care whether it's plugged into the master socket or not as long as any extension wiring is good. If you have to plug your router into the master socket then you either have unfiltered devices, or dodgy extension wiring.

BroJames I haven't checked, but we (work) almost certainly have a bunch of spare wireless access points lying around the office. They'll be pre-loved and maybe a little "random", but if you want I will gladly dig around to see if there's anything servicable, configure it for you ready to just plug in to your existing router, and send it to you (assuming the "UK" is accurate in your location!). PM me if you'd like me to go ferreting ...

--------------------

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
I can only repeat what I said earlier: I'm not getting a single advert on Yahoo mail, not have for years, namely thanks to AdblockPlus. (Other adblockers are available.) Oh, and the Flashblock add-on, too. [Smile]

Linkie and Linkie.

Done! Thank you.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Snags:

Also, no router whatsoever will care whether it's plugged into the master socket or not as long as any extension wiring is good. If you have to plug your router into the master socket then you either have unfiltered devices, or dodgy extension wiring.

Sorry about this Snags but that is not the case in my experience

The installation instructions say from the main socket only. It also regularly failed when I did it on another socket and diagnosed as not plugged into the main socket! The socket I was using is one I had used for the previous router.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I agree. When we moved house we spent a fortnight without broadband because our router was plugged into a socket that was not the master socket - we had been wrongly told that it was the master socket, and had to wait for an engineer to come out before we discovered that it wasn't.

There was no connection at all at any time via the non-master socket, even with nothing else at all plugged in anywhere, and there is nothing wrong with the wiring.

[ 28. June 2014, 16:19: Message edited by: Drifting Star ]

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Snags
# 15351

I won't argue with personal experience, and TalkTalk are shite, so all bets are off. However, I will say that the router has no way of knowing what socket it is plugged into, and dealing with this stuff is my job. I therefore suspect Something Else, and convenient simplification on TT's part.

Not least because the master socket (aka test socket) can only be accessed by removing the faceplate.

Obviously if your "master socket" is of the type the incorporates a filter, that changes the game ...

--------------------

Drifting Star

# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
...Obviously if your "master socket" is of the type the incorporates a filter, that changes the game ...

It is now, although it wasn't when we had the problems with broadband.

Can't blame TalkTalk here though - this was purely BT. It was one of their call centre people who told me that he could tell (from several continents away) that the phone I was using was plugged into the master socket. I thought that was very strange, but as I thought it was anyway and we were waiting for an engineer's visit it didn't make much difference.

When the engineer came he replaced the master socket, not because there was anything wrong with the old one, but because BT wanted their latest logo on all sockets. He did also tell me that having an extension lead connected to the master socket made no difference to its performance, but it seems that this doesn't apply to the wired in extensions around the rest of the house.

--------------------

Snags
# 15351

The BT 'phone support person was bullshitting you.

There are lots of things that can cause issues for ADSL on extension wiring, but if everything is the way it needs to be (wiring quality, signal strength, correct filtering throughout the chain which depends on what's filtered where already, whether the extensions are parallel or series etc.) then the router won't care where it's plugged in to. Really, truly [Smile]

The reason they get you to plug in to the test socket is so that they can exclude issues with extension wiring, and also any possible issues with the faceplate itself. They can't tell whether you actually have plugged in to the test/master socket, but some of the support droids try it on, because they know most people don't really have a clue how it works.

--------------------

Drifting Star

# 12799

quote:
The BT 'phone support person was bullshitting you.

Yes indeed - and when I complained to the CEO they gave me a special complaints handler, who I am still using almost a year later. Apparently every time I complain the CEO's office is informed. (This sounds like flannel to me, but it does seem to get me better treatment.)

quote:
There are lots of things that can cause issues for ADSL on extension wiring, but if everything is the way it needs to be (wiring quality, signal strength, correct filtering throughout the chain which depends on what's filtered where already, whether the extensions are parallel or series etc.) then the router won't care where it's plugged in to. Really, truly [Smile]

I have to admit that it wouldn't surprise me if the person who built the house didn't put the wiring in properly. In fact, to be honest, I'd probably be more surprised if he had done it properly. [Frown]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was thinking of downloading a news app to my phone. The pre-installation notice said that this app would have access to:

"Device ID & call information:
Allows the app to determine the phone number and device IDs, whether a call is active, and the remote number connected by a call."

Why would it need to know what number is being phoned?

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Instruction on connecting two routers.

Better idea would be to get hold of a decent couple of baby Etheernet hubs and run a tree structure. That way some of the local datagram routing is handled further away fromt he router.
Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Microsoft Word. My index doesn't show; instead where it should be it says

quote:
{INDEX \e" "\c"2"\z"1033"}
If I copy this and paste it into Wordpad, the index shows up! But I kinda need to be able to see it in situ.

My table of contents and page numbers (in the footers) are doing analagous things -- where the page number should be, it says

quote:
{ PAGE \* MERGEFORMAT }
I would sure as hell hate to lose all the formatting I did in this document, as I've probably put over 30 hours into it.

Thots?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snags
# 15351

You're displaying field codes instead of content. There's a toggle which is based on F9 but I can never remember if it's plain or Ctrl+ , I think plain and the latter lets you write codes directly.

or, on older versions, there's a fairly obvious menu item to switch it. Not looked on the ribbon, but probably on the Developer tab knowing MS

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
You're displaying field codes instead of content. There's a toggle which is based on F9 but I can never remember if it's plain or Ctrl+ , I think plain and the latter lets you write codes directly.

or, on older versions, there's a fairly obvious menu item to switch it. Not looked on the ribbon, but probably on the Developer tab knowing MS

Found the answer -- you right click on the field code and there's a toggle. I had to do it on the footer in every section, in the TOC, and in the Index.

Now my problem is that I can't change the headers or footers without Word turning all my "Odd Page" section breaks into "Continuous" section breaks. I turn off the link to the previous header, and BAM, the section break is changed. Jaysoos, who programs this shit?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Smartphones - is there a huge and important difference between Ice Cream Sandwich [Android 4.0.4] and JellyBean[Android 4.1]?

There are two phones I am considering - one of each. The cheaper of the two is the JellyBean but from an unknown [to me] manufacturer [Swipe Sonic] - the Ice Cream Sandwich is from Lenovo.

Opinions? Sniggers behind the hand? Outright condemnation of my choices?

[Help]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Androids are now being released with Kit-Kat. Unlike i-phones, which can always upgrade their OS (though iPhone users seem flush enough to just buy the latest models) android phones seem to only be able to upgrade once or twice. That may just mean that there are some newer apps you can't install. My phone and tablet (ICS) can't access USB drives, which is about the only later function I would like to use.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Snags
# 15351

The other thing to check with cheaper/entry level Android devices is whether they are "full" or a slightly messed about version.

Some of the cheaper implementations don't include access to the Play store, and instead you have to go through whatever the provider has set up.

--------------------

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

Last year after considerable research I got a top of the range android smart phone.

I have never got on with it and wish I had got an iphone.

More recently I got an ipad and in contrast with the $$%%**!! phone I love it.

Stuck with the phone now for at least another year.

So my advice is get an iphone [Razz]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It may make life easier to get an entry-level Android until you get used to the way they work. It can come as a bit of a learning curve otherwise if you haven't had one before.
Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

- Posted      Profile for Alisdair   Email Alisdair   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Android v. iPhone, it's horses for courses. If you prefer consistency and predictability you're probably better off with an iPhone. If you prefer freedom to do things the way you want and to have lots of options then you'll probably get on better with an Android.

If you want a higher end but vanilla Android experience which will get it's updates straight from Google buy a Nexus. If you want to spend less, but get very good value for money buy a Motorola Moto G (the 16G version if you plan on putting lots of music, or other stuff on board). The camera's not the best, but everything else is pretty good. Again, this is pretty much Android as Google make it (Motorola were owned by Google until very recently and the Moto G is basically, like the Nexus, a Google product---effectively a reference design for an Android phone done right.

The reason Androids generally only get one or two operating system upgrades is because manufacturers/network operators have a bad habit of varnishing over the basic Android OS with their own ideas of how it should be (they are trying to differentiate themselves in the market, and the quality is highly variable). This makes having to customise upgrades an expensive pain for the supplier so they tend to do it as little as possible. They would rather you bought a new phone; which isn't totally silly or venal as most people only have the phone for the length of the contract, i.e. two/three years.

I would avoid buying a 'cheap' landfill Android phone. They are usually cheap for a reason---they're pretty rubbish and disappointing to use.

The ones I have mentioned are generally rated to be worth their purchase price.

[ 08. July 2014, 17:52: Message edited by: Alisdair ]

Posts: 334 | From: Washed up in England | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Silly people, you don't choose, you get your tablet in one and your phone in the other .... [Two face]

(And windows on the desktop/equivalent - God forbid there is an app in the cosmos you can not access.)

[ 08. July 2014, 18:05: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks folks, much food for thought there.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snags
# 15351

As an aside, having used all three major phone OS and multiple examples of Android implementations from cheap to high end* I can honestly say that for general purpose use, ease of operation, and all round 'niceness' the current Windows Phone release strikes me as the best.

Obviously if you must have x,000,000 apps then it doesn't cut it, as the supporting infrastructure isn't there to the same degree. And if you're guided strongly by fashion then you won't have the strength of character to overcome the hoots of derision. Or if you're already heavily invested in iOS or Android elsewhere. But starting from a neutral position it's surprisingly good, and has won over a number of people I would never have thought would bring themselves to touch one, let alone use and own!

*Not all my phones, I end up setting them up and helping a great many people with them as an adjunct wot w**k

--------------------

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Joan Rasch:
I'm a long-time yahoo mail subscriber (it's my main email account). If you think of the ads that that appear at the top of the email list as a banner ad that's *pretending* to look like an email message, it's actually pretty easy to ignore. Just let your eyes immediately move to the SECOND line on the list of emails, and proceed from there. (On my system, the first line is even shaded differently, making it even easier to filter out.)

I would agree with anyone who says that this approach to ads is excessively deceitful, but it's still reasonably easy to avoid.

cheers from Boston - /Joan

Me too. Yahoo is my main account also, and even used for my business. The different shading makes these ads very easy to ignore. They distract me far less than the sidebar ones.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  31  32  33 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016