homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » It's Geek to me: Translating computereze (Page 26)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  31  32  33 

Source: (consider it) Thread: It's Geek to me: Translating computereze
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I did reach that page, but was not allowed to put a different number in. It overrode back to what was there before. But thanks for trying. I'm just not going to use Windows Live Mail.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I could [Mad] Apple. They have changed the connectors on their ipod. So now my nearly new sound system carefully chosen to fit my old ipod touch does not work with my new one!

Does anyone have any workarounds/fixes for this? I have posted here before enquiring with the Apple site or support by the way.

I was going to do a TITCH post in Hell but thought the energy would be better expended here.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Apple, and many aftermarket companies, make lightning to 30pin adaptors. They will likely not be elegant solutions.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What LB said. Just get an adapter.

To be fair, Apple hasn't changed their 30-pin connector since the iPod Gen3 debuted in 2003. 11 years is an eternity in technology. Plus the lightning connector has been standard for 2 years now.

I like the lightning connector on my iPad much better than the 30-pin on my older Apple iPods and iPhone stuff.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=apple+30-pin+to+lightning+adapter

[ 15. September 2014, 20:42: Message edited by: monkeylizard ]

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you! I will get an adaptor!

I have spent hours and hours this last week trying to get to grips with some new software 'No technical knowledge required' they said [Killing me] [Roll Eyes]

Trying to find out how to make my new ipod work was the last straw.

PS I didn't even know the names for the different adaptors/connectors so would not have known what to google for!

[ 15. September 2014, 21:26: Message edited by: Thyme ]

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by monkeylizard:

I like the lightning connector on my iPad much better than the 30-pin on my older Apple iPods and iPhone stuff.

My thoughts on the lightning connector do not belong in heaven. Suffice to say, durability is not as good as the old connectors, IME.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
That's one of those errors that can be caused by a thousand different reasons. I would start with the SMTP port number.

Windows uses "ports" to connect with the outside world. However, some parts of the outside world do not allow traffic on certain ports, usually because the ports in question are notorious spam channels.

Try changing your SMTP port from Port 25 to Port 465, with SSL (secure socket layer) enabled. How you do this depends on the e-mail client you use. In Microsoft Outlook 2003, its Tools > E-mail accounts > View or Change > Change > More settings > Advanced. I have no idea what it would be for other versions of Outlook or other e-mail clients.

Actually part of TCP/IP..
Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Boring thread. Closed on the grounds of not being sufficiently amusing.

Ariel
Heaven Host

Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OK, if you want amusing...

I managed to spill my gin and tonic over my laptop last night just after I switched it off. [Hot and Hormonal]

Only over the number pad at one end and I instantly picked it up and drained the liquid off the keyboard. Used kitchen roll to mop and dry it and held it upside down to try and drain anything off from around the keys. Left it open last night stood up on one end. It's hot here at the moment so I'm hoping any liquid which got in round the keys has evapourated. I haven't dared try turning it on yet.

Some questions:

How long do you think I should leave it before attempting to turn it on?
Is there anything else I should do?

Does praying for computers work??
Am I an idiot?

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ambivalence
Apprentice
# 16165

- Posted      Profile for Ambivalence   Email Ambivalence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lucia:

How long do you think I should leave it before attempting to turn it on?
Is there anything else I should do?

Does praying for computers work??
Am I an idiot?

You've done what I would've done by draining, wiping and leaving it to stand in the warm.

Did the machine short out or switch itself off when the spill happened, or did you switch it off yourself?

If it shorted I would leave it to dry for longer (and TBH wouldn't be too optimistic for it) but if you were able to shut it down yourself after the accident then you should be ok to start it again now.

I make good use of crossed fingers when repairing laptops, if that counts as prayer. [Biased]

Posts: 22 | From: Peterlee | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had actually already switched it off shortly before I knocked my drink over it. Reading around on the internet it seems that this may give some grounds for hope as there was no power running at the time to short circut things and fry them. We live in hope.

I'm just so annoyed with myself. Can't afford a new laptop at the moment and I'd have to get one brought over by someone from the UK as the different keyboard layouts available here would drive me nuts.

Ah well, here's hoping it doesn't come to that...
Crossed fingers welcome indeed!

[ 23. September 2014, 14:08: Message edited by: Lucia ]

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lucia

Even if it does not work when you start please take it to a technician before you consider buying a new one. With your action it is quite likely that it might be limited damage that is replaceable e.g. it might just be the keyboard, in which case it can be replaced.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am computer-illiterate, and I am trying to sign up for something on a website. I filled out several pages, clicking on 'next' after each. I have reached a page where clicking on 'next' produces nothing except a note on the bottom left of my screen which says, javascript void'.

What now?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
I have reached a page where clicking on 'next' produces nothing except a note on the bottom left of my screen which says, javascript void'.

Try a different browser -- i.e., if you were using Internet Explorer, try Google Chrome. If you still get the error, then there's something wrong with the page's coding.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So Geeks, here's a question from a technopeasant:

I recently bought a new laptop, and once I figured out some tricks, I am reasonably happy with Wingdos 8.1

Except there are longish periods when, if I click on a video, the screen turns green and all I get is audio. Doesn't matter where from: Utoob, Mother, Mother Canada, Uncle's Joes cute animal pictures. Green.

I thought it had corrected itself at the beginning of September. But, alas, it is back again. And I can't even blame the former regime in Libya ( where colouring the flag was a toddler's dream)

So any answers?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Seems to be a common problem, Uncle Pete. I've searchengined "green screen video win 8.1", and there's a lot. Haven't been able to trawl through this yet, but may do so later.

In the meantime, if anyone's found a befitting reply, please go for it. Luckily, ehem ehem, I'm still on Win 7 myself.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Re the spilled-on laptop:

I've heard several times of people burying them in dry, raw rice. It's supposed to soak up the moisture. Look for instructions online. FWIW.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Uncle Pete--

This is just a wild guess, but I wonder if it's somehow hitting DOS mode, or another machine-level mode? Sounds like the screens of some of the early, pre-windows PCs and terminals.

Or maybe some sort of video card problen???

FWIW.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Are we allowed to ask about other technology here apart from computers ?

I decided to try a mobile phone for the first time but am regretting it as I can't even get it to turn on. It is called the Alcatel C1, from Argos.

The battery was separate in the box. I have inserted it. I have put it on to charge from the mains for a few hours. There is a small white light showing at the top of the phone but that is all. The actual screen of the phone is completely dark.

It was a sim free but you could choose a free one with it and I put one in from Three. But even I did that wrongly, according to the instructions it should turn on without a sim card.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My Alcatel I have to hold buttons down for a while for it to turn on ~ it is 18months old and what I am using posting to the Ship

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Spent some time googling and wonder if pg 139 of the User Manual might help.

Intriguingly it does say that it suggests charging for at least 5 hours for the first time in the setup part of that manual.

This is the Users Manual and not the "Quick Users Manual". These days you quite often have to go on the web for the full manual.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you for that link to the instructions, I think that they could be very useful.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can anyone recommend a free music converter program, in particular one that can convert WMA files to MP3? Thanks

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think iTunes can do this, although it's a bit cumbersome. If it's a small number of files, I sometimes convert online using Zamzar.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

After battles with converting files from my voice recorder using the manufacturers software I settled on NCH Switch. I think the free version will do mp3 to wma and you only need the paid for one if you have a propriety sound file (mine was) but even that is cheap.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
Can anyone recommend a free music converter program, in particular one that can convert WMA files to MP3? Thanks

Audacity should be able to do the job, I think.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
quote:

Audacity should be able to do the job, I think.
I've GOT Audacity and that was the first thing I tried. It told me it couldn't open WMA files due to patent restrictions!

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I use Jodix with very good results.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:

I use Jodix with very good results.
Thanks, I might try that.

--------------------

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To open WMA files (a M$ proprietary format) in Audacity you need to download the add-on FFmpeg import export library.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

I've tried several different programs but none of them will convert WMA files, they all say the files are protected and can't be converted.

--------------------

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Are the files DRM protected? If so you will need to take other steps to disable the DRM protection before you can convert them from WMA to MP3. I know there are ways of doing this, but it is not something I have experience of. You need to look at DRM removal tools/methods if that is the case.

[ 25. October 2014, 13:35: Message edited by: BroJames ]

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

Yes but most of them are from my own CDs that I have ripped to the computer. I thought the law had changed recently in the UK so we could copy music we had purchased, to anywhere for our own use.

--------------------

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

quote:
Yes but most of them are from my own CDs that I have ripped to the computer. I thought the law had changed recently in the UK so we could copy music we had purchased, to anywhere for our own use.

IANAL (at least not currently practising, and never in that field), but I believe you may be right. However, changing the law hasn't removed the DRM protection that is built in. It only means (assuming you are right) that you are not breaking the law if you find software or other means (Google may be your friend) to remove the protection and make copies yourself.

Also, changing the law does not mean that music producers are required to stop making it difficult for you to do the copying. They may still seek to prevent or limit copying on the commercial grounds that it will lead to more sales.

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So I have a Samsung Note 2 (a big phablet), which I love. I very rarely use it to make calls (on silent all the time). I use it more as a mini tablet which also allows me to txt and make the odd call (using a headset mostly). In it I have a SIM - unlimited mins, txt and data package.

My question is will the Note 8 work in the UK as a phone with my SIM ? It seems to me I should but before I splash out .......... any input would be gratefully received.

Pyx_e

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OK, people who are even more geeky than me, I have a challenge. I have a wifi router at home, that works perfectly OK across most of the house.

However, the signal at the furthest end of the house is not very good - it makes it difficult to work there, or stream music, or suchlike. This is not a huge problem as such, at least at the moment.

However, we are looking at extending, and this will be more of an issue. So what I need is a booster device - ideally that I can plug in anywhere, and it can hook into the existing signal and improve it. I don't want something I need to wire into my existing router, because i want to put the booster upstairs.

I know that these devices exist, but I would appreciate insight from the very knowledgeable community as to what I need to look for, and what I need to avoid. I don't want to pay loads of money for something that will provide a wifi signal across the whole of the South East - I just need to improve the signal across my house. I think the real problem is that there are steel girders in the way, so boosting from upstairs should help this.

Thank you.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here be violent opinions and flamewars, SC!

We (work) generally avoid range extenders (aka wireless repeaters) if at all possible. The way that they operate means you essentially lose half of your WiFi bandwidth for anything on the extended network, and a chunk out of the primary that goes to servicing the extension.

So for a domestic setup I would normally look at getting a good quality (Devolo or similar, not cheapo) powerline/homeplug solution and then either attaching an access point to the far end, or getting one with an integrated access point. That way you extend your LAN from the current router via the mains to the new location, and have discrete wireless access there.

The other thing you could look at would be an Open Mesh network. I haven't played with it yet, but a couple of associates who generally know their stuff on networking are favourably impressed.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Snaggs - I love throwing petrol onto smouldering coals. I know that there are a whole lot of differing opinions on this stuff, which is why I was specifying my particular situation! I was thinking of a powerline solution, but was interested if others had experience of this, or other solutions.

The open-mesh stuff does look like it would be good for a much larger place. Maybe when I move to my palace, I will take a look at that.....

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Confused] My Mozilla Firefox keeps crashing. I get a message box that wants me to fill out a "crash report". Does this do any good?

Will I have to disconnect everything & take the box to the puter fixit shop? Any suggestions?

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pearlie, my geekiness is pretty lightweight, but this is what I did when Mozilla was being a PITA: changed to Google Chrome! (I hear folks giggling out there. Stop it!)

You might want to try that before boxing everything up and carting it to the shop. [Smile]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by Pearl B4 Swine:
[Confused] My Mozilla Firefox keeps crashing. I get a message box that wants me to fill out a "crash report". Does this do any good?

Will I have to disconnect everything & take the box to the puter fixit shop? Any suggestions?

You shouldn't. Lets go through a checklist:

1. Have you installed anything in firefox recently? Any popups indicating that something need to change? Any oddities in behaviour?

2. Have you installed anything else recently on your computer? However innocuous, it can sometimes push the machine over the edge.

3. Do you regularly do routine maintenance on the computer (defrag and error check)?

4. Do you switch the computer off completely when you are not using it? If not try this.

Firefox does sometimes crash unexpectedly. It is often to do with wither an add-on that has snuck in, is unwanted, and just breaks stuff; or a memory issue, which can be caused by other things running at the same time.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

Thank you jedijudy and Sch'cat.
JJ: yes, I also have Google Chrome, and do the same thing. I'm not so good at manipulating the GC though, but I'm getting better.
SC: thank you! I avoid adding anything, LOL. But I will give it serious thought. I should look at recently bookmarked I think. No, I haven't defragged in probably too long. OK, I will do that. Question-- where can I find out what version of Firefox I am running? A friend told me maybe I should upgrade it.

--------------------
Oinkster

Snags
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Most browsers have a Help > About box for version info, although it hides in different places depending on version. Firefox is a beggar for moving the main menu in particular with version changes. Most recent versions should also update themselves.

Failing that, Add/Remove Programs (Uninstall a Program in Win7) will tell you, in Control Panel. Assuming Windows, of course.

--------------------

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Windows 7 and I need to clear my cookies, or so a Government website tells me, so I can log in again. Anyone know how?

I am using Firefox.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

In Firefox go to options dialog (either tools option or from the right hand drop down menu select the option icon), choose the privacy tab and there should be a link to clear cookies.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My new computer gives 'hibernate' as an option as well as 'sleep' - what is the difference? and when would you use each option?

Is it best to log off overnight?

Answers in plain English for the technologically challenged please.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snags
# 15351

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
My new computer gives 'hibernate' as an option as well as 'sleep' - what is the difference? and when would you use each option?

Is it best to log off overnight?

Answers in plain English for the technologically challenged please.

Huia

OK, keeping it as simple as possible (for me!):

Sleep doesn't quite ever actually turn off. It uses a tiny, tiny bit of power in order to keep what's held in RAM (working memory that loses content when it loses power) fresh and stop it being lost. But almost everything else powers down (screen, disk, etc.).

When you wake the computer up, it quickly* springs to life from exactly where you left off.

Hibernate takes a kind of snapshot of everything that's currently happening and what state it's in, and writes that information to a file on the hard disk. It then completely shuts the power off.

When you turn the computer back on it doesn't do a full startup, instead it does a quick one, and puts you back where you were when you hibernated.

Which should I use?
If you use Sleep for long time it will eventually run out of juice (if on battery) and screw up (unless it's configured to automatically shutdown or hibernate after a period of time asleep). It also runs the risk of knackering the battery by giving it a complete discharge, if left long enough.

However, the computer will wake up quicker from a Sleep than a Hibernate.

So, if you're just shutting the lid to move to another room, use Sleep. If you're packing up to drive home, or until the next day, Hibernate.

*Note that "quickly" may be a relative term.

--------------------

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

Snags, I forgot to say "Thank You". Sorry.

I did manage to find that I am on Mozilla Firefox 32.0.3. When I found "Update Firefox", it said that it updates automatically. So, I presume I'm ok.

Now: I've only found the defrag spot accidentally before. Where is it, actually? (yes, I am Windows 7)
Thanks in advance.

--------------------
Oinkster

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  31  32  33 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016