homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » It's Geek to me: Translating computereze (Page 27)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33 

Source: (consider it) Thread: It's Geek to me: Translating computereze
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You can get to defrag in various ways.

Probably the laziest is:

- click Start button
- type "defrag" in the search box and wait (no quotes)
- click "Disk Defragmenter" when it appears in the list

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Start button > All Programs > Accessories (this is a folder, not a file, so scroll down and click once to open it) > System Tools (also a folder) > Disk Defragmenter.

[Smile]

(cross-posted - Snags' version will be quicker!)

[ 31. October 2014, 15:54: Message edited by: Drifting Star ]

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Snags, thank-you, that is understandable, clear and helpful.

I'm listening to a person being interviewed on the radio at the moment who is talking about the curse of knowledge where a writer uses jargon or technical words assuming, often wrongly that the reader understands them.

Your post avoids this nicely.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I recently got a mobile phone for the first time. After some trouble I got it working and yesterday took my first digital photo. I want to load it onto a pc to have a better look at it.

I connected the phone to the pc using a usb cable which came with it. The phone recognises hat it is connected to a pc, but the pc does not recognise the phone.

The pc is very old and can be started up in 2 ways, windows 2000 from the hard disk and puppy linux slacko from a cd. When I start from windows 2000, it shows removable drive E in windows explorer, but clicking on it gets the message 'please insert a disk into drive E'.

When starting from puppy linux and clicking mount, it does not show the usb drive at all, just 2 hard disk partitions and a cd rom drive.

Is there something else I could try or am I out of luck trying to connect a phone to an old pc ?

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
moonlitdoor - you will probably have to download the right software from the repository

one article

and another discussion

and another discussion

(mind you these are all 3G and I bet you're looking at 4G). That's from guessing what to search for but you'll probably have to go dig in the forums.

Software for processing pictures but you need to find it in the repository unless you're confident to tarball.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by moonlitdoor:
I recently got a mobile phone for the first time. After some trouble I got it working and yesterday took my first digital photo. I want to load it onto a pc to have a better look at it.

Are you able to email the photo to yourself, and open the email with attachment on your pc?
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
moonlitdoor: The pc is very old and can be started up in 2 ways, windows 2000 from the hard disk and puppy linux slacko from a cd. When I start from windows 2000, it shows removable drive E in windows explorer, but clicking on it gets the message 'please insert a disk into drive E'.
I can imagine that Windows 2000 is too old for this.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

- Posted      Profile for Alisdair   Email Alisdair   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dear Moonlitdoor,

This link: http://tinyurl.com/lfpxtbl

contains the following, but make sure to read to the end of my post before giving up, or trying this:

quote:
I did some more reading about libmtp, and I see that it's generally regarded as unreliable with Android devices.
There's an alternative application based on libmtp: go-mtpfs
which I have just packaged now for you to test. Get it here -
www.smokey01.com/tempestuous/go-mtpfs-20130628.pet
Instructions:
Download and install the dotpet.
Connect your phone to the USB port of your Puppy computer. Wait a few seconds.
Open a console and run these 2 commands -
Code:
cd /mnt
go-mtpfs MTPdevice

You will see the go-mtpfs application attempt to connect to your phone ...
if this is successful, you should be able to see the contents of your phone at /mnt/MTPdevice with a standard file browser (such as ROX). Go ahead and copy some files from/to Puppy.
When you're finished, it's important to unmount the phone before disconnecting it, with this command -
Code:
fusermount -u MTPdevice

UPDATE: 64bit version now available (for Fatdog64, Slacko64 etc) -
www.smokey01.com/tempestuous/go-mtpfs-20130628-64bit.pet

As you can see tinkering may be required, HOWEVER, the answer may lie within your phone and involve simply changing the protocol used by the phone to communicate with a PC via USB. When you first connect your phone you may well be offered a choice. Your phone is currently set to use 'MTP', but if you are able to choose 'Mass Storage Device' try that, and your phone will appear to the PC as a simple memory stick.

ALTERNATIVELY, if none of the above is possible or appeals, and for some reason emailing the picture isn't a preferred solution, then you could install the 'WiFi File Explorer' app from Google's 'Play Store', assuming you have a wifi connection, and by following some straightforward instructions your phone's file structure will appear in a web browser window on your PC.

All the best.

BTW, Slacko Puppy is a rather niche Linux, although a very good one. You may well find however that something more mainstream, like a Live Ubuntu or Knoppix, etc. will handle the 'MTP' protocol 'out of the box'.

[ 02. November 2014, 18:47: Message edited by: Alisdair ]

Posts: 334 | From: Washed up in England | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I use Windows Live Mail for my main email and calendar, and I'm trying to remember how to save the whole calendar to my hard drive. I used to be able to do it, just can't remember how! I think it was as an HTML file. Help please?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In Windows 7 my taskbar is hiding behind whatever window is maximized, even though it's not set to autohide. Pressing the windows key makes it come back into view, as does minimizing all windows.

Setting I can set, or is this the new black?

ETA: Dragging my pointer to the bottom of the screen does not make it pop back up, nor does it change the shape of the pointer.

[ 12. November 2014, 14:57: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Many thanks to Alisdair for that comprehensive advice. I was unsuccessful with the USB cable whether I connected as USB mass storage or MTP.

However I have successfully installed the wifi File Explorer. It took me a while to find the photos as I had no idea where in the file system they would be, but I found them in the end and easily downloaded them, so I am happy.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have internet again! Mr C has fixed it and it works significantly better than it did prior to needing fixed.

Cattyish, dancing a wee jig.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations! Lend me Mr. C sometimes.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just had this message pop up when I restarted my deskie after a day off:

quote:
_OEC ! ! DWD+-SW!NE-3540A ATA Device installed
I will have to check what brand my DVD player and DVD burner are (I have one of each in the machine). According to a websearch, it could be about a '_NEC DVD+-RW ND-3450A ATA Device' - but then, why am I getting this barely disguised 'SW!NE' thingy? Annoying! I certainly haven't installed any new hardware.

I have immediately taken the machine off the internet and am running a full Norton scan, plus a Spybot S&D scan later on.

Any ideas? Thanks.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Update - device manager tells me that the DVD burner is indeed called '_OEC ! ! DWD+-SW!NE-3540A ATA' - which is rather strange!

Why DWD instead of DVD? Why OEC instead of (apparently) NEC? Why the many exclamation marks? Plus the SW!NE? DWD and OEC are both one letter further than DVD and NEC - so an alphabet puter software hiccup?

Both DVD players are working fine, at least with an audio CD. Why that glitch? [Confused]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Snags
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I quite often notice that the hardware ID strings in bits of kit can be, erm, esoteric. It doesn't normally tumble through to the forefront in the UI, but a lot of the buried stuff often looks like an explosion in a character set mapping factory.

--------------------

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
The Machine Elf

Irregular polytope
# 1622

- Posted      Profile for The Machine Elf   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Update - device manager tells me that the DVD burner is indeed called '_OEC ! ! DWD+-SW!NE-3540A ATA' - which is rather strange!

Why DWD instead of DVD? Why OEC instead of (apparently) NEC? Why the many exclamation marks? Plus the SW!NE? DWD and OEC are both one letter further than DVD and NEC - so an alphabet puter software hiccup?

Both DVD players are working fine, at least with an audio CD. Why that glitch? [Confused]

Possibly a cosmic ray or something has been setting the least significant bit to 1 rather than 0, as all the transpositions appear to be a 0 to 1. (N->0, space -> !, V -> W) so it would have been '_NEC DVD+ SW ND-3540A ATA'. ND-3540A is a real NEC model number whereas NE-3540A isn't.

TME

--------------------
Elves of any kind are strange folk.

Posts: 1298 | From: the edge of the deep green sea | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Aaaah! - Yes indeed, cosmic rays it must've been. After the virus and spyware check, which both came out clean, and after a restart, the DVD burner is now again correctly listed as

quote:
_NEC DVD+-RW ND-3530A ATA Device
Thank you both. This 0/1-business is now utterly making sense! [Overused]

--------------------

Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our computer came with Windows installed but we have recently started getting really annoying and repetitive messages to the effect that our copy of Windows is not genuine. [Mad] The error message has the number 0x8004fe21.

Do we (collectively!) know a way, please, of sorting this without going back to factory settings?

Thanks in advance

BG

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is it a Dell? If so, my comiserations. My laptop has been like this for a couple of years now and Dell's only suggestion was a complete reinstall.

On the upside, the only drawback I've encountered (apart from embarassment when other people notice the message and draw the wrong conclusions) in all that time is having no wallpaper, just a dark black screen. But it looks sort of cool.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snags
# 15351

There are a few things you can try. One is to start an administrative command prompt (Start > cmd, right click, run as admin) then type "slmgr -rearm", then reboot and re-activate.

If you don't have your product key, get Produkey from Nirsoft and run it first to retrieve the Windows key.

This is an occasional problem, and seems to be doing the rounds again [Frown]

--------------------

Snags
# 15351

Further to previous, that last fix didn't work for all of the machines I've seen that have been hit with this.

What appears to be working on one of the stubborn ones is downloading and running this patch which fixes a fubar MS introduced in a recent round of regular updates.

Procedure appears to be:

- download patch
- run it (requires elevation); note that there is no UI for it, and no indication when it's done. It's only tiny and should go through very quickly though
- reboot
- reboot again just for giggles
- check that your Windows is still activated (right-click on Computer > Properties), if not activate it
- reboot one last time
- hope the stupid WGA goes away

Still got fingers crossed, but appear to have stopped my FiL ringing me up twice a day with this one!

--------------------

Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks everso.

I think I'll make sure we've got everything backed up - we usually have!- and try the first of those first. It might have to wait until I'm off for Christmas...

If all else fails we'll take the computer back to factory settings - it won't be the first time we've done that and it probably won't be the last.

BG

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
same thing happened to us with a laptop about 2 years ago. We didn't worry about it too much because
A (as mentioned) it just meant an extra button to click, and no desktop picture
B - the battery held no charge (had to be plugged in all the time) and the fan was getting slower and noisier
so we were already contemplating getting a replacement anyway.

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can anyone tell me where on the PC the emails in Windows Live Mail are saved?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Advice for the technopeasant please - this is driving me batty.

I had Google as my home page - it suited me, and I could find most of the things I wanted. I have free AvG as my virus protection. I got a message asking if further AVG protection to which I agreed. What I didn't understand, being a bear of very little brain was that it would change the search engine I use to Yahoo (it's an AVGpage similar to Google's but claiming to be more secure). Since I have done this I have come up with "blank page" in searches for sites I know exist.

If I change my search engine and home page back to Google will this be less secure?

Please don't dazzle me with science.

Huia

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It won't do any harm.

They tend to slip that change in there ("do you want to make x your new home page?") I think for advertising and revenue purposes.

If I notice it, I always uncheck the little box so they don't mess with my home page.

It should have no effect on security.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Thanks Lamb Chopped, I thought that might be so but lately technology seems to be ganging up on me [Paranoid] and I didn't want to make things worse.

Huia

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have an old PC. There is no operating system on this PC; the HDD is completely blank. It has a CD-ROM but not a DVD-ROM. I would like to install Linux Mint Cinnamon 17 Rebecca. Becky does not fit on a CD.

Do I have to install some other operating system, then download the iso (even though I already have the damn thing but it doesn't fit on a CD), then install Mint over the existing operating system? Am I missing something, or are they really that bone-headed?

[ 29. December 2014, 03:34: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
I have an old PC. There is no operating system on this PC; the HDD is completely blank. It has a CD-ROM but not a DVD-ROM. I would like to install Linux Mint Cinnamon 17 Rebecca. Becky does not fit on a CD.

Do I have to install some other operating system, then download the iso (even though I already have the damn thing but it doesn't fit on a CD), then install Mint over the existing operating system? Am I missing something, or are they really that bone-headed?

You should be able to write the ISO to a USB stick and install from that. There are instructions here that at a glance look sensible.

ETA: Many other linuces offer a "small" bootable image that would easily fit on a CD, and installs over the network. Mint appears not to.

[ 29. December 2014, 04:01: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Thanks, I managed to do the USB stick thing. After a few glitches it seems to be running. Unfortunately apparently Cinnamon doesn't like old video drivers and that might give me some headaches. But I'm not doing anything particularly fast so I'm hoping it won't be a game-stopper.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Why is it so fripping hard to install software in linux? My God, they go out of their way to make it as difficult as possible.

Okay so I've downloaded fuckme.tar.gz. The online instructions say to do this:

tar xvzf fuckme.tar.gz

Okay that works, it extracts the folder inside the tar file. Then the instructions say to look for a "readme" file. None. Fine. Now it says do this:

./configure

result:

bash: ./configure: No such file or directory.

WHAM. Stymied. I'm fucked. Can you google for "./config no such file or directory"? Hell if you can.

Cloud help? Puhleeze. And of course I can't find a man entry for configure if configure doesn't exist.

Linux may be wonderful, but Windows has it all over Linux in installing software. Hands down, no contest, for installing software, Windows rules, Linux drools.

So all of you Linux kool-aid drinkers, please help me. How do I install this software?

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I did a Google search for "./config no such file or directory" with the parentheses included and got back multiple results. I do not use Linux, so cannot vouch for the results.

[ 29. December 2014, 17:14: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
I did a Google search for "./config no such file or directory" with the parentheses included and got back multiple results. I do not use Linux, so cannot vouch for the results.

Bloody hell. Quotes not parentheses.

[ 29. December 2014, 17:18: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
IANALE

My poor Unix says that it looks as if you might be in the wrong directory! However I have no idea which directory you should be in.

You should be in a directory with a readme file for the software, you are then changing directory to the configure one for the software.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mousethief,

First - is this something that's definitely not in the software repository? If you type:

code:
apt-cache search fuckme

do you see it? If so then

code:
sudo apt-get install fuckme

will be far less painful.

I'll assume that it's not in the repository or you have a good reason not to want to install it from there - later version, no connection to internet.

What you're doing is the classic "configure;make;make install" incantation to build and install software from source. There's no "man configure" because configure is not a command it's a script that should be part of the source you just unpacked (that was the tar command). So check whether the file "configure" exists and if it does that it has execute permissions:

code:
ls -l configure [check output for x's] e.g.
$ ls -l configure
-rwxr-xr-x 1 paul paul 419 Jul 4 2009 configure

If you don't have execute permission then grant it:

code:
chmod u+x configure

Then try to re-run "./configure"

If there's no configure but there is a file called configure.in then you can create one with:

code:
autoconf

If autoconf is not installed you'll get a message telling you how to install it (apt-get).

Anyway that should create the configure script which you can then run. However don't be surprised if that then tells you you're missing a dependency or library or some such. This is why installing from the repo is better - it handles all that for you.

If you don't get any messages indicating it's missing something then you should be able to go ahead and build it with make (OK, I'm guessing but it's a near-certainty, but if your instructions say something other than make after the configure step defer to them)

If none of that works/moves you forward then let us know and also let us know what "fuckme" actually is.

HTH
Paul

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Jengie's post is good advice. Normally a tar soruce archive would be create a sub-directory so try typing "cd fuckme<tab>" and the autocomplete should find it.

(I'm guessing assuming the directory name would be the same as the tar file, again pretty standard)

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Paul.:

If none of that works/moves you forward then let us know and also let us know what "fuckme" actually is.

HTH
Paul

An entirely appropriate name for a Linux install?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by Paul.:

HTH
Paul

An entirely appropriate name for a Linux install?
[Razz]

I like Linux and find it suits me. Not so everyone and I try to avoid getting into religious wars about it.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

I am OS agnostic. However, I do enjoy persecuting fanatics.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mousethief: if you haven't been successful, plse tell us what distribution you are using. Most popular versions use a package manager like Synaptic. If you are unfamiliar with Linux, which you post suggests, then you generally should avoid tar.gz and compiling yourself and use a package manager. What package are you trying to install, or better yet, what are you wanting to do? There are usually many different packages for the same task, some are better than others.

Linux is like Anglicanism if iOS is RC, Microsoft is protestant and Orthodox is BSD.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Perhaps a new coffee mug is needed "I Thought This was a Unix Website"?

It sounds like you need to go into the directory that tar unpacked, using a "cd fuckme" and then look for the .configure command with a "ls -a"

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

What's BSD?

Anyway I just added the repository for fuckme (which is FreeFileSync) and then did an apt-get. All is well again in the mousehold (after J heard me cursing Linus Torvalds in all the languages I know how to curse in).

I still maintain that it should be easier to download and install a program from the interwebs, where most of us go to look for software. Every freaking TAR file is different. There was no "configure" or "configure.in" file anywhere in the directories created when I un-tarred the tar.gz file.

And the online help forums (fora?) are so worthless. You either find someone who had your exact problem in 2009, but their thread was never answered, or peters out with a lot of gas but no solution; or you you get a lot of instructions that tell you to click on something that isn't there, or run a command you don't have, or which assume you know how to do things you don't ("simply add the FFK to the XMU file in dkrggz, and comment out the zingzingwabbu section").

Oh, and Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.1 Rebecca 32 bit.

[ 30. December 2014, 02:38: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I love the idea of Linux. The reality keeps drawing me up short.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I still maintain that it should be easier to download and install a program from the interwebs, where most of us go to look for software. Every freaking TAR file is different.

Well, yes - a tar archive is exactly an archive of whatever its creator wanted to shove in there.

One of the greatest strengths, and weaknesses, of linux is that it has so many standards to choose from. If what you are installing is a package built for your distribution of linux, then installing it is just as easy (and I dare say rather more robust) than installing a Windows program with the standard Windows InstallShield thing.

But because there are so many different distributions, a random software author is unlikely to want to maintain install packages for each one. Still, Mint being popular, you should be able to find something suitable (as you did).

Of course, if you're not going to use a package manager, but install binaries by hand, or build from source, then you need to know something of what you're doing, but that's no different from installing Windows software given a zip archive full of binaries and dlls (and of course, most windows users don't have a compiler at all).

[ 30. December 2014, 04:10: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

- Posted      Profile for Alisdair   Email Alisdair   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A suitable alternative file synchroniser, and one much more simply installed from most mainstream distro repositories, is Unison (generally 'unison-gtk' is an effective GUI version).

Have a look at it at: http://tinyurl.com/9uvjl but, as already said, probably best installed from the distro repo if you want to minimise the possibility of incompatibility.

Personally, with the odd exception over the years, I find Linux's way of managing software and dependencies superior to Windows', and generally extremely simple, but there are certainly exceptions, esp. once you leave the safe havens of the authorised repositories.

Posts: 334 | From: Washed up in England | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

quote:
What's BSD?

Berkley Software Distribution. It's another (family of) Unix OS. Unlike Linux which is a clone of Unix, BSD actually is Unix insofar as it can trace its lineage back to the original version.

quote:

Anyway I just added the repository for fuckme (which is FreeFileSync) and then did an apt-get. All is well again in the mousehold (after J heard me cursing Linus Torvalds in all the languages I know how to curse in).

By all means curse but Linus isn't really to blame. He's responsible for the kernel but he's not really responsible for the OS that's wrapped around it, much less FreeFileSync. It may even surprise you to know that Linus is on your side on this issue

(For those that don't know "The Year of the Linux Desktop" has become a sort of jokey meme in the Linux world. It relates to the fact that people have been predicting Linux will make a big splash on the desktop "this/next year" for the last 15 years at least.)

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Happy Geeky New Year to all! [Cool]

Anyone got any experience with Windows ReadyBoost? (Linkie)

I'm just playing around with a couple of USB sticks of different sizes, reformatted in exFAT (FAT format won't allow for the full capacity to be used: max. size with FAT is 4GB on Win 7). I'm currently using 4, 8 and the maximum 32GBs for this.

If you've tried this yourself, did you notice any significant improvement in performance? I'm also wondering if something like an SD card would grant faster access, USB 2.0 being somewhat limited. (I haven't got any USB 3.0 ports yet.)

Any observations? Many thanks! [Smile]

--------------------

Snags
# 15351

I'm fairly sure that the general consensus on ReadyBoost is that unless you have a cripplingly small amount of RAM, it doesn't bring anything to the party. So Win 7 with 512MB RAM it confers some advantage. Get above 2GB-4GB of RAM (fairly standard these days) and it doesn't really do much, if anything, for you.

Note the above is received wisdom, I haven't run any actual tests personally.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Thank you, Snags.

I reckon the relative lack of information on big ReadyBoost improvements speaks for itself then. Seems that there are now simply too few users actually trying this out.

I guess I'll continue to fiddle a bit - putting some of the otherwise unemployed memory sticks or cards to use, and be it experimental.

Reports from readily boosted Shippies still very welcome. [Smile]

[ 06. January 2015, 07:18: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016