homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » It's Geek to me: Translating computereze (Page 29)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33 

Source: (consider it) Thread: It's Geek to me: Translating computereze
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My browser [firefox] has suddenly gone weird and decided to route through a proxy or something. I switched it back soon enough through Options > Advanced > Network > Settings but does anyone have any idea why it might have done this? This morning I clicked on a link I have used before with no ill effects and got an unwelcome pop-up which I closed but this has happened before without all this proxy nonsense.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Have you just had an (automatic) update?
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not that I recall, unless it happened, and it may well have done I suppose, whilst I was elsewhere but the machine was still on.

That could be the solution, thanks.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
WW,

I would immediately run an anti-spyware program as well as a deep antivirus scan.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

What an excellent and fairly obvious suggestion! Why didn't this occur to me?

I am running it as I type - and am just heading out shopping so it can run on whilst I am out.

Thank you.

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am about to buy a new PC which will mean switching from Windows 7 to 8. Last time I upgraded, I used Transfer My PC to move my stuff from one to the other. Will this still work with Windows 8?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sparrow in theory you can use Windows Easy Transfer. This page tells you how it should work.

You may also want to read this page too though, as it appears that some of the options no longer actually work.

When moving to 8.1 be aware that MS will very, very much want you to create a "Microsoft Account" but you don't have to. It's a matter of personal choice - there are benefits to having one (automatic integration with the Store, OneDrive, assorted other Cloud services, sync'ing of data/apps between machines and so on), and there are downsides (see all of the above if you don't trust MS, or want to keep everything under wraps).

Getting the best out of 8.1 requires a bit of learning and effort, but it is possible, and overall it's not as bad as some folks would have you believe (although they really have made some duff decisions in places).

Getting back to the original point, personally whenever I transfer a personal machine I tend to set the new one up fresh and shuffle the data around manually anyway. But in theory you don't have to.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is the Yahoo! e-mail/account login currently being hacked from Iran?

I've got Firefox, latest updates, with the Flagfox add-on, which displays a little flag in the address bar, identifying the country where the server you're trying to access is located. Today, and with quite some shock, I've discovered that there's no longer the US or UK flag, but the Iranian one.

Geotool, one of the Flagfox built-in IP lookups, shows the IP as 188.125.80.13, located in Iran. Apparently, I'm not the only one who noticed this - see TinyURL link. In this link, there is a further link to a screenshot which shows this, including the Iranian IP address. This is exactly the same IP addy I am being diverted to.

According to cnet from 2011 (link), sites like Yahoo, Google or Skype may indeed have been attacked or their login credentials faked by Iranian hackers.

Questions:

1. Can anyone else replicate this? (I've tried on different computers, from home and work: the same.)
2. How can I contact Yahoo mail to tell them my (and the first link's, above) observations?
3. What do I do? Shall I still log into the Iranian hacked site and change my password(s)?

This is pretty annoying. Please advise!

Thanks!

[ 20. May 2015, 12:07: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just installed Flagfox and went to Yahoo! - I was already logged in.

The Yahoo front page (yahoo.co.uk)showed a UK flag. My inbox showed a US flag. I logged out, and an Iranian flag flashed past and then as I arrived on the BT homepage it changed to an Italian flag.

Going back to yahoo.co.uk (UK flag) and clicking on the login link did indeed take me to a login page with an Iranian flag.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Many thanks, DS! Is appreciated!

I've found the official Yahoo abuse e-mail addies and have told them now, using non-Yahoo e-mail. Have also sent an e-mail to a cyber security institution, and am going to talk to some local puter wizards later. Still not quite sure if I should attempt to log into both my accounts and change the passwords... Aaargh!

Very unusual, all this, never had that before. (I did have the US or UK flags, and I wonder if the Italian one you saw might actually be the Irish flag. You can find out by hovering your cursor on the flag. - All these are IPs Yahoo normally use, in my experience.)

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is quite possible that the problem is on your end.

My Yahoo login pages display the proper IP country flag, whether I am logged in or not.
But I use another firefox add-on called noscript. It requires your permission to allow each and every script a website tries to load. Which can be a real annoyance, you have no idea how many third-party scripts are running on your favourite websites.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Please let me know what response you have Wesley.

The bt.com page definitely has the Italian flag. I'm sure BT has some sort of interest there though, so I'm not particularly concerned about that.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

lilBuddha, sorry - can you please specify what exactly you mean by 'your end'? Ta!

I've done a few more enquiries, nothing conclusive yet; found some further discussion boards where the Iran flag and Iranian IP location within Yahoo sites were observed. Most date back to 2011, which as it seems is when a big hacking attack on Yahoo and others occurred, and which could be traced back to Iran.

Having talked to my puter wizards, I'm none the wiser. They were as surprised as me, and suggest waiting for a Yahoo abuse reply e-mail.

On the other hand, they told me (silly me, I sort of knew this, really...! [Hot and Hormonal] ) that you can install Yahoo mail on an e-mail client, such as Outlook or Thunderbird - this means you can get a copy of everything you receive onto your harddrive. [Yipee]

Just done that, and now've got the entire, large Yahoo inbox on my desktop machine as well. This pleases me, and I'll do some serious cleanup of the web-based mail in the near future! - A how-to here, even works without having to log into the webmail, at least with the latest Thunderbird version 31.7.0. [Smile]

More later.

--------------------

Drifting Star

# 12799

Yes - big Thunderbird fan here, not least because we have a not-too-reliable broadband signal here. That and not entirely trusting anyone else to look after my data. [Paranoid]

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
lilBuddha, sorry - can you please specify what exactly you mean by 'your end'? Ta!

Meaning your computer might have been hijacked rather than Yahoo's.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Hm... I believe that's rather unlikely, seeing that I was able to replicate this behaviour on all 4 of my machines (Win 7 Pro/Ultimate), and from different access points, as well as on 2 work Macs.

Some good news from my visit to the local puter wizards though, on a different subject: we were looking at low-cost upgrades for my 10 y o (!) deskie, a DELL Dimension 5000. We found I had 2 sets of not quite co-operating RAM; the machine wasn't able to use the entire 3GB I had installed, 2x512MB and 2x1GB. So I replaced the 512MB ones with another fully co-operative 2x1GB and hey presto, the deskie is honestly considerably faster with now 4GB! Brilliant! [Big Grin]

I sometimes think my own geekiness's only partially activated these days...! [Paranoid]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Firefox keeps on logging me out of FB and the Ship, no matter what I do, and I can't see any obvious reason for it. I've got it set to accept all cookies, even third party ones. I've asked it to make exceptions for FB. I've cleared the entire cache and started again. But I can still be typing a post and then find I've been logged out and can't post it. Every few minutes. Any ideas? It's Firefox for Windows, 38.0.1.
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did you shut down and then reboot it again? Sometimes freaky things like that seem to get worked out when you do.

LilyPad
Eternal Optimist (that all computer glitches may be solved by rebooting.)

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Yes... this has been ongoing for weeks now. I'm thinking this may be something to do with a dynamic IP address, but I don't think there's anything I can do about that.

[ 23. May 2015, 12:18: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Snags
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ariel, your public IP shouldn't be changing every few minutes, even if it is dynamic. Usually (but not incontrovertibly) a dynamic public IP will only change the the router drops the connection and re-connects*. Even then in most cases a lot of ISPs will just re-assign the previously issued IP unless there is a long period of no connection.

*Some ISPs used to just change them on the fly, e.g. AOL and occasionally NTL (now Virgin, who I don't think do this), but even so the lease would have been days not minutes.

You can easily check whether your public IP has changed by using a site like What Is My IP to keep track of your public IP (or just monitor your router logs).

If your ISP is messing about with your connection to that extent, I'd be looking to change ...

--------------------

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I think I've finally sorted the Firefox problem. Apparently it's something to do with the history settings - you have to tell it to remember your history otherwise it starts all over again from scratch.

I have a similar problem with the new Opera 29 which sometimes won't let me click on links "because the network connection has changed", but now that Firefox seems stable and can load FB easily (which Opera can't) I'm making Firefox the default browser.

It really is ridiculous that in this day and age it can still sometimes be necessary to have two or even three browsers just to access different sites.

Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Advice required please! I'm considering getting a tablet (already have and use a laptop running Windows 7). The idea is to use the tablet for reading books and quick email checking. I'm not looking at a Kindle right now as I already have several non-Kindle e-books, and my favourite local bookshop does nook only.

What I need to work out (not quite in priority order!) is
  • operating system pros and cons
  • e-reader software/app availability (and its compatibility with e-books I own)
  • budget
Suggestions on where to look for info much appreciated - I'm not going to be doing this in a hurry.

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What do you currently use? If you are already an Apple or Mac user then the move to an Ipad is easy.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Snags
# 15351

CK, it probably doesn't actually make a lot of difference. Getting a good example of whichever OS you go for is more important.

With iPad, you're basically on safe ground if that's what you want to buy into, because it's such a tightly controlled system.

With Android the cheapo ones will not be anything as nice to use as a better quality (and therefore more expensive) device. And because Android is what it is, there are a huge range of cheapo options to tempt you.

With Windows it'll be Windows 8.1 again I would avoid the very entry level units as they will suffer in performance terms. Also, look carefully at storage, as the OS takes a good chunk, so if you do want to store much on a Windows tablet you really want to start at 64GB and work up - the 32GB ones won't have much slack after the basic system load.

Having used lots of different tablets because of work, I personally prefer the flexibility of an appropriately spec'd Windows tablet, but that's because of what I do and what I use day in day out, and therefore what I want to integrate with.

Next would be an iPad just because it is what it is, and that's a known quantity with a lot of supporting infrastructure.

For me, Android is last mostly for the reasons that actually make it good - I find it requires too much tinkering, and too much faffing to get it the way I want it. It doesn't suit my personal desire to just get on with it, rather than have a nerdgasm at the potential. But if you're more of a Linux kind of person and you like tinkering and getting everything 'just so', or if you're heavily into Google Apps etc. then a good one is a gem.

Which probably isn't much help, other than to indicate that going with something that satisfies you emotionally as much as practically is probably wisest. In my experience no matter what we tell ourselves most tech purchases aren't rational, at the end of the day [Smile]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Because I have vision problems, I got an Ipad. I will never need (because I can't see it well enough) a small screen. I need to be able to biggify -- the gesture of spreading your fingertips to make a screen image bigger. The Ipad also has dynamite graphics and color, for reading comic books.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have been using AllwaySync to keep mirrors of my important data, but am frustrated at its inability to detect file and folder renaming and moving. So I'm ready to get a new package, but the choices are bewildering (see link), even among the packages that do what I want and are in my price range (under $50). Goodsync seems to be a good choice but I don't want to get something and then regret it. Anybody have a favorite they could recommend?

(PS: I'm running Windows 7 and am not at all interested in getting into conversations about how Linux or MacOS are better, please and thank you.)

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

I've used the SyncBack Free software for many years and am very happy with it.

There are paid-up versions with more features, but the free one is sufficient for my current needs.

Link to the different versions: http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/

--------------------

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I used to use Unison - but I seem to recall having problems with large numbers of files.

These days I use SyncToy and haven't had any issues with it.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is probably a silly question but I'm not at all technical and would appreciate it if somebody more knowledgeable can advise me.

My yahoo email account has recently taken to bringing up a dialog box telling me that a website it is trying to connect to has an "expired certificate". This website seems to be something to do with selecting and loading the adverts on the sidebar to the right of the screen. I only get this message when I'm logged on using Safari on my mac. When I log on using Firefox on my work pc everything is fine.

Should I be worried about this "expired certificate"? If not, how do I get it un-expired (renewed??) again and stop the dialog box coming up?

I don't ever look at adverts on my email page, but continually clicking "cancel" on the dialog box is an irritating waste of time. If this isn't dangerous I'd like to be able to stop it happening.

Thanks!

--------------------
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases

Posts: 978 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anyone else's Windows 10 failing to install, with the error code 80240020?

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bene Gesserit - this might help.

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And now my Windows 10 download is failing with same error code ... I'll call you back!!

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

Having had 4 successive error 80240020 despite following suggestions from various sources, I gave up and manually downloaded Windows 10.

Instructions here.

The whole process took about 2 hours on my Samsung Ultrabook with an Intel i3 processor. It ran all by itself until the very last stages when it wanted to use its own settings. I chose Custom Settings (from a very small print option!) and switched off most of the Microsoft-inspired settings - most of which seemed to send virtually all my links, contacts and other personal data directly to Microsoft! The only ones I left switched on related to Microsoft Edge - the replacement for Internet Explorer.

So far so good - it seems better than Windows 8.1 (admittedly not difficult!!!) but there's a long way to go yet.

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks very much - instructions saved! If we don't get it pushed to us the next day or so I'll use that.

--------------------

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

That's good, Bene Gesserit.

Please note though my points about the Express settings.

See here for a better explanation and recommendations.

Hope it works OK for you

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

Thank you - that is really useful.

--------------------

Drifting Star

# 12799

A word of warning re Windows 10.

I upgraded on Friday with no problems. Today I discovered that there is no Windows 10 driver for my printer, which is two and a half to three years old.

Canon say "... the production of drivers and software support comes at a direct financial cost. So, while Canon certainly respects our customer’s choice to decide to upgrade technologies, Canon cannot guarantee that older Canon products will continue to be supported by the new operating system."

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Whilst the world and his dog are downloaing Windows 10, a question about Android.

Is there any way of copying text (out of copyright of course) from Google Chrome internet files?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Are you meaning something different from the ordinary Chrome select and copy functions?

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
I have been using AllwaySync to keep mirrors of my important data, but am frustrated at its inability to detect file and folder renaming and moving. So I'm ready to get a new package, but the choices are bewildering (see link), even among the packages that do what I want and are in my price range (under $50). Goodsync seems to be a good choice but I don't want to get something and then regret it. Anybody have a favorite they could recommend?

(PS: I'm running Windows 7 and am not at all interested in getting into conversations about how Linux or MacOS are better, please and thank you.)

I used to use Syncback (free version) for photos and that worked well, but I am not sure about how well it deals with your problem. There is a discussion about it here.

There are two paid versions, the most expensive being $54.95.

I am now using my built in Synology NAS software to do my sychronisation so am not up to speed with the latest SyncBack.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Latchkey Kid:
Are you meaning something different from the ordinary Chrome select and copy functions?

I can't find then on the Android tablet. Everything works on the Windows laptop. The tablet is new.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A Windows 10 question - I don't know if this belongs in Heaven or Hell! - but answers in simple language appreciated please.

I downloaded W10 on my computer. It took 14 hours - our broadband is even slower when they milk the cows next door...

My installation was uneventful, but installation on my wife's laptop has hit disaster - it will no longer let her sign in! Trawling various forums has revealed that this is a problem experienced by a fair number of people. Can anybody help me fix it please? - preferably before she comes home from shopping!

Thank you!

[ 05. August 2015, 09:05: Message edited by: Offeiriad ]

Posts: 1426 | From: La France profonde | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Her sign in will be tied into her Windows account, because all Windows machines use your personal Windows account and password. This didn't impress me much when I started using Windows again recently because I like giving different things different passwords.

The instructions on how to reset that password are here.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you - but she doesn't think she HAS a Windows account....
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That is almost certainly the problem. I had to set one up to use a Windows 8.1 tablet, because I really didn't have one. What version of Windows were you updating?

Try using her usual e-mail account and seeing if that is recognised by Microsoft. You will probably need to allocate a phone number for a PIN too.

I checked whether my printer had the right drivers for Windows 10 before I installed, which it did and it's working fine.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

Thank you CK (hi! long time no see!) - presumably she can set this up from my computer, can she? ('Coz she can't get into hers....)
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I guess - I haven't had to try this

--------------------

Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

Thank you for this help - the computer suddenly accepted her password!
Snags
# 15351

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Her sign in will be tied into her Windows account, because all Windows machines use your personal Windows account and password. This didn't impress me much when I started using Windows again recently because I like giving different things different passwords.

The instructions on how to reset that password are here.

Just for the record, it's possible to setup and use Win 8/8.1 machines without creating a Microsoft Account if you want to, although it does take a little bit of persistence, and as soon as you need to use the Windows Store you're screwed and have to give in.

Not sure about W10 as I haven't had time to get involved with that joy yet [Smile]

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Windows 10 might warrant slow adoption. I intervened on the weekend with my company's network so that no-one would upgrade to Windows 10 until security issues are clarified. We may have to return to an old policy of only allowing computers, smart phones and tablets we've approved to connect to the wifi.

Win 10 is designed to share by default the passwords of wifi networks using a feature called "Wi-Fi Sense". While it encrypts the wifi passwords, it also makes the wifi networks your machine remembers available to everyone in your Facebook, Outlook, Skype and other lists. Thus, you might be at your home network, and someone you have in your contact lists across the street will have access to your wifi network to do whatever.

Link.
quote:
If you're taking up Microsoft on its offer of a free upgrade to Windows 10, you should know that the new operating system has a feature, called Wi-Fi Sense, that automatically shares your Wi-Fi passwords with others....the issue is nonetheless dangerous for those users, and there are many of them, who agree to everything their computers ask of them.
Win10 also does some other things that might give pause. Windows 10 defaults to keylogging, harvesting browser history, purchases, and covert listening

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016